THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1278, 1279, 1280 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
The four whorseman: Trump, Putin, the Crown Prince, and now the Republicans favorite: Bibi. All have been the poor innocent unlucky victims of witch hunts

Israeli Police Recommend Netanyahu Be Charged With Bribery In Telecom Case

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/netanyahu-bribery-bezeq_us_5c03d74de4b0606a15b6349f

Just a reminder, we are not allowed to use that word here.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

Michelle Obama on whether she will run in 2020:

A young girl asked Obama during an earlier stop on her book tour whether she was going to run for president.

“I don’t wanna be president!” the former first lady said at the Lower Eastside Girls Club in Manhattan. “My path has never been politics. I just happened to marry somebody whose passion was politics. Just because he likes it doesn’t mean that I like it!”

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Impeaching Trump is a no brainer. We have to be on record saying "this isn't okay".

When Republicans elected an unhinged, unqualified, treasonous President. What did the Democrats do? That will be the question our children and children's children will ask.

It shouldn't hurt us politically because Dems can walk and chew gum at the same time. We can still push for the policy that energized our voters in the midterms and proceed with impeachment.

Impeaching Trump is the right thing to do for our country. And that's what is most important. Same goes with other issues like climate change policy, criminal justice reform, and healthcare.

He should be impeached in the House whether people think he can be convicted in the Senate or not. And here's another crucial reason. Over the last few years, all the bits and pieces of his wrongdoings have come out in drips and drabs and most Americans don't pay that much attention. If you have a trial with an opening statement where an effective prosecutor weaves together a chronological narrative incorporating all the facts, with a 100 million people watching -- it will be devastating. (And I don't give a (bleep) if his stupid followers "change their minds" or not; we don't run a country based on what the stupidest people would or wouldn't believe or do.)

I've heard Adam Schiff do abbreviated versions of a narrative-type summation of the facts, and he could be effective, as could others. (I wish Rachel Maddow was available to weave the narrative because it would be brilliant).

As long as there is a thorough investigation, and all stones unturned, and clear evidence discovered that a reasonable person - not the Trumpsters obviously- would find compelling, and as long as this begins in early 2020, sure. But if they try something as stupid as did the Republicans with Clinton, that was viewed as a strictly a partisan exercise, it will likely fail just as spectacularly.
it can't FAIL. the reason it can't fail is because whatever will be said would be TRUE. the clinton thing was true too. sure it was repubs going over board possibly. but it was still true. they did it for partisan reasons and non of what bill did was hanging out or as they called it paling around with our arch enemies.

This aint partisan because if the information shows our current president was/is some sort of Manchurian candidate you have to let the american people know that is the case, and how you know that is the case. so its in the books so smart people hopefully wont allow that to happen ever again. It's not about him being actually kicked out of the white house. that would be icing on the cake. It's about truth and the type of truth that is necessary to be told under these circumstances.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

Wisconsin Republicans move to limit powers of incoming Democratic governor in lame-duck session

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-wisconsin-republicans-lame-duck-20181202-story.html

Wisconsin Republicans planned to forge ahead Monday with a rare lame-duck session to give outgoing Republican Gov. Scott Walker a chance to limit the powers of his incoming Democratic successor, move the 2020 presidential primary date to benefit a conservative state Supreme Court justice and enact a host of other changes almost certain to spur legal challenges.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
ocho wrote:
I fear impeachment is a bad path for Democrats to go down. Without hard evidence of a serious crime it could likely backfire. Beat him at the polls.

Trying not to be partisan but rather as rational and objective about this as possible, given what I know about what's come out so far, who's flipped, and Mueller's patterns of operation, I think it WILL be devastating for Trump including collusion, conspiracy, Trump being owned by Putin (at least), money laundering, and a swath of other criminal activities, all with hard evidence.

Which gave rise to my question last night about the tipping point -- how much hard evidence of how many serious crimes is enough for the Trump Repubs in the Senate to decide to abandon him? At what point does their electoral calculus say that their own chances in 2020 or 2022 are better with Trump out of office?

It's all going to come down to what can be proven by that evidence.

I'm not convinced there's enough evidence to make a difference.
dmr, i think you've grown jaded thanks to trump followers/fox news watchers.

Because you think the burden of proof standard has to be set so high that even THEY will agree trump needs to go. Remember this, some of those idiots are wearing "I rather be russian than a democrat" t-shirts. There is no convincing those types of people. right now with the information we have and as LC put it it, the guys that have flipped. It's pretty obvious they have more than enough on trump and everyone around trump. which is also key. even if you can say "bu but but he didnt know.." Fine. you keep surrounding yourself with the criminal element. at some point even a not so bright person can say "birds of a feather". Now a trump voter? they dont care. so dont try to appease them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
(And I don't give a (bleep) if his stupid followers "change their minds" or not; we don't run a country based on what the stupidest people would or wouldn't believe or do.)

Are they just stupid or stupid racist? His followers look at Trump as a person who'll return the country to the days of the old south. Racism blinds them to the total picture.

I wonder? If Trump's impeached and not convicted would that hurt or help his chances for a second term. I can see it helping. He would have the non conviction as a tool. And then there are the closet Trumpians.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Wisconsin Republicans move to limit powers of incoming Democratic governor in lame-duck session

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-wisconsin-republicans-lame-duck-20181202-story.html

Wisconsin Republicans planned to forge ahead Monday with a rare lame-duck session to give outgoing Republican Gov. Scott Walker a chance to limit the powers of his incoming Democratic successor, move the 2020 presidential primary date to benefit a conservative state Supreme Court justice and enact a host of other changes almost certain to spur legal challenges.

Build a wall
Around all the criminal politicians

Why are they free
They are true sociopaths
No actual connection to humanity
Lost in hate filled mirror
Accepting and Promoting the Hate of the Powerfilled upon us all

President George Bush's letter to incoming President Clinton
Really touched a nerve in my heart.

Quote:
“Your success now is our country’s success,” he wrote. “I am rooting hard for you.”

WTF!@#%@#÷=/=#×@

Why isn't it like that for everyone? /tear

Today's politics is generating more disgusting attitudes than the last 30 years of MTV combined
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Build a wall
Around all the criminal politicians

Why are they free
They are true sociopaths
No actual connection to humanity
Lost in hate filled mirror
Accepting and Promoting the Hate of the Powerfilled upon us all

President George Bush's letter to incoming President Clinton
Really touched a nerve in my heart.

Quote:
“Your success now is our country’s success,” he wrote. “I am rooting hard for you.”

WTF!@#%@#÷=/=#×@

Why isn't it like that for everyone? /tear

Today's politics is generating more disgusting attitudes than the last 30 years of MTV combined

Can you please limit the incoherent rants to one every two or three days?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Moved from President George H.W. Bush passes away at 94 thread

ChickenStu wrote:
Conker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The last decent republican.

Define "decent".

Served his country. Stood up to “voodoo economics”. Believed in the responsibility of the wealthy to the poor. Raised taxes knowing it would doom his political prospects. Did not overplay the Iraq war. Disagreed with his son but was respectful of the office. Did a lot of good with Bill Clinton post presidency.

I have numerous disagreements with him on policy, and maybe on parenting, but I respect that he tried to be a decent man (late dementia nanny grabbing notwithstanding) based on his beliefs.

You think Bush would have been re-elected in '92 if Lee Atwater didn't die?

It's quite possible that Bush would've won in '92 if Ross Perot didn't exist. I guess we'll never know, but Perot did win 18.95 of the popular vote, campaigned on opposing NAFTA, and was a fellow Texan like Bush. It stands to reason that he pulled Bush voters a lot more than he did Clinton voters, and that was how I viewed it at the time, as a 15-year-old who was about to turn 16. Clinton did have a 43-37.4% popular vote margin over Bush, so if 2/3 of Perot voters would have voted for Bush, that would've made the popular vote roughly even. As we know, it all comes down to the Electoral College, and, since I'm a history nerd, I wanted to go back and look at how close some of the states were that Clinton won. For the sake of this exercise, I'll give Bush 2/3 of Perot's votes, and I realize that could very well be generous.

Georgia: Clinton won by less than 14K votes, and Perot garnered just less than 310K, so it stands to reason that Bush probably wins Georgia's 13 electoral votes if you take Perot out of it.

Tennessee: Clinton got 933,521 votes, Bush got 841,300, and Perot got 199,968. So with the 2/3 exercise, Bush would've still lost by about 25K votes. Could've been quite close if he had captured slightly more than 2/3 of Perot's voters here, though. The Volunteer State had 11 electoral votes.

Missouri: Perot did better here than his national average, garnerning just under 519K votes (21.69%). With the 2/3 exercise, Clinton ends up with 1,226,614 votes, while Bush checks in with 1,157,159. So, again, close, but not quite for Bush, so he would've needed a little more than 2/3 of Perot's votes. Missouri had 11 electoral votes.

Louisiana: Another close one. Clinton won by about 82,500 votes, and Perot got just under 211,500 votes. The final count would've ended up as 886,393 for Clinton and 874,442 for Bush. Nine electoral votes were at stake.

Kentucky: For the 8 electoral votes up for grabs, Clinton would've ended up with 733,017 votes, with Bush coming out on top at 753,209.

Montana: For the mere 3 electoral votes here, Bush only lost by a little over 13K votes, and Perot got just over 107K (26.12%), so this would've gone to Bush.

Wisconsin: Bush lost the 11 electoral votes here by just over 110K votes. Since Perot picked up more than 544K votes, here's another one Bush would have won with the 2/3 rule.

Michigan: Another close one, with 18 electoral votes at stake. Clinton would've ended up with 2,145,845 votes, and Bush comes in at 2,105,090.

Iowa: Another close one for the 7 electoral votes. Clinton would've had 670,758, with Bush edging him out at 673,954 votes.

Ohio: It appears that Perot probably cost Bush Ohio's 21 electoral votes, as he only lost to Clinton by a little under 91K votes, and Perot picked up just over a million votes. Even a 60/40 split here would've resulted in a pretty easy win for Bush.

New Jersey: Yet another pickup for Bush, with 15 electoral votes. Bush lost by just under 80K, and Perot picked up just under 522K votes. Using the 2/3 figure, Bush would've won by about 95K votes (roughly 1,705,000 to 1,610,000).

New Hampshire: A pretty easy Bush win here for the 4 electoral votes at stake; he lost the state by less than 7K votes, and Perot got over 121K votes.

Nevada: Just 4 more electoral votes here, but Clinton only won by just over 13K votes. Perot had a lot of support here (26.19% vote share), and his 132,580 votes likely cost Bush this state as well.

Colorado: With 8 electoral votes at stake, Clinton won by about 67K votes, and Perot garnered a tick over 366K (23.32% vote share). The 2/3 math comes up with a 55K win for Bush.

Clinton won 370 electoral votes, and Bush won 168. From my 2/3 rule, it would've been an 87-vote swing, so that would not have gotten Bush there; the count would've been Clinton 283, Bush 255. But if he could've flipped just a couple of those other states where I mentioned how close it would've been--say, if he had received more like 70% in some states--he could've won the election. Obviously, we'll never know, but it would've probably been really close, just as the national popular vote count would've been. I realize that this also assumes that he would've gotten 2/3 of the vote in those states where I had him coming out on top, and that very well may not have been the case; upon doing some further research (looking at exit poll numbers), Bush probably wouldn't have pulled 2/3 of Perot voters nationally, though he certainly would've garnered a majority of those voters, and it's just a question of exactly how many. More than likely, Clinton would have narrowly won the popular vote and probably won the Electoral College too, as the path for Bush would've been a narrow one. Still, we'll never know for sure.

The Ross Perot Myth

Quote:
George H.W. Bush only lost his re-election bid in 1992 because a peculiar independent candidate from Texas, Ross Perot, drew more voters away from Bush than from Democratic candidate Bill Clinton. It’s one of the most enduring myths in U.S. presidential election history.

Unfortunately the article did not explain further and the answer must be watched in “The Perot Myth” — a film from FiveThirtyEight and ESPN Films — or researched elsewhere. But heck, now you've got something else to do.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-ross-perot-myth/
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:

these guys
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Endgame: Mueller's prosecutors are telling defense lawyers they are "tying up loose ends" in the Russia probe as they prepare to file 3 crucial memos this week on their most high profile defendants: Flynn, Manafort and Cohen.

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/1069729807976538113

Quote:
The Manafort memo on Friday "will be public," Mueller's office tells me, indicating prosecutors will detail for all to read what prosecutors believe the ex-Trump campaign chair lied about. Should be interesting reading.

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/1069730202308239360
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Florida SWAT Officer Demoted After Wearing QAnon Patch In Photo With Mike Pence

It's amazing the types of people who get suckered into the QAnon nonsense. And then this freaking moron doubles down and pulls this stunt. He shouldn't just be demoted, he should be disarmed, because he clearly isn't smart enough to be entrusted with any weapon, much less a SWAT team member.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Idle thought -- if Jimmy Carter dies while Trump is still in office, what will Trump's reaction be?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Idle thought -- if Jimmy Carter dies while Trump is still in office, what will Trump's reaction be?

"It's a sad day, folks. Almost as sad as the inflation and gas prices when he was president, quite frankly. And the Iran crisis, just a terrible thing, because those were really bad dudes. And it's probably not how I would've handled it, ok? He was probably too nice of a person to be president, that I can tell you."

What would his reaction be if Bill Clinton died? I mean, that can't be ruled out, given his health issues. He's a 72-year-old man who had quadruple bypass surgery in 2004, plus he had two stents implanted into his heart in 2010.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

He wouldn't tweet anything. Then when the media calls him out about it. He tweets his condolences in a derogatory way. Making sure to reference Jimmy's peanut farming.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

He wouldn't tweet anything. Then when the media calls him out about it. He tweets his condolences in a derogatory way. Making sure to reference Jimmy's peanut farming.

The cruelty is the point.

But also, the Trump presidency is so absurd. Can you believe what you just wrote? It's absolutely true and absolutely ridiculous. We are not only petty and cruel as a nation, we're downright pathetically silly.

All so millions of racists could live vicariously through an orange turd reality television personality as their bully champion. Just absurd.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject:

Also, this: https://www.theonion.com/you-people-made-me-give-up-my-peanut-farm-before-i-got-1819585048
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The U.S. Treasury yield curve has inverted for the first time in more than a decade.

The same exact thing has happened ahead of each of the past seven recessions

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1069781612836073472
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:
@realDonaldTrump
Dopey Jimmy Carter was such an unpopular President unlike "Mr. Trump." Higher taxes! Tried to make us Venezuela! Sad. We are doing great, wonderful things. If only fake news media would cover it!

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

Blood on wall street. It's red everywhere. So glad those tax cuts made america great again.

If it weren't for my option plays. I'd really be hurting right now.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Fraud on a massive scale was committed by the GOP in North Carolina's 9th Congressional district. Should be the #1 story in the country right now, but it's only sporadically covered even by MSNBC. No surprise that Trump isn't touching that story.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

not to be oudone, it looks like the Ohio and Michigan GOP will join Wisconsin in trying to subvert the will of the people...

Ohio Republicans Join the Fight Against Inconvenient Democracy
How will John Kasich, a Man with Plans, react?

GOP state lawmakers in Wisconsin, Michigan look to curb power of incoming Democratic officeholders

It's not the first time Republican legislators worked to curb the powers of an incoming Democratic administration—Republicans in North Carolina introduced a series of bills in the 2016 lame duck before Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper took power that shifted the balance of power toward the GOP-controlled legislature.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Joe Biden is leading in a poll that was done for possible candidates in 2020. He's going to be 78 and two years. Too old to run?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
not to be oudone, it looks like the Ohio and Michigan GOP will join Wisconsin in trying to subvert the will of the people...

GOP state lawmakers in Wisconsin, Michigan look to curb power of incoming Democratic officeholders

It's not the first time Republican legislators worked to curb the powers of an incoming Democratic administration—Republicans in North Carolina introduced a series of bills in the 2016 lame duck before Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper took power that shifted the balance of power toward the GOP-controlled legislature.

THis is one of those easy things you can look at if you're trying to decide which side to be on. One side suppresses the vote and looks to take away the other side's ability to govern even when they lose power.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

THis is one of those easy things you can look at if you're trying to decide which side to be on. One side suppresses the vote and looks to take away the other side's ability to govern even when they lose power.

They play to win and they're effective. It's easy to see why people would want that in their legislators.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1278, 1279, 1280 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1279 of 3672
Jump to: