THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

How does Medicare fund it's insurance? they seem to keep prices under control. I'd look into how they function.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
How does Medicare fund it's insurance? they seem to keep prices under control. I'd look into how they function.

part of income taxation, look on your paycheck
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
One way to curb the cost increase is to allow medicare as a whole unit to bargain for prescription prices/services (currently "it" is not allowed, only allowed to take the avg of bargained prices from private industries)

This was Bush 2's handout to the pharmaceutical industry. It needs to change ASAP.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

they take the money they need from everyone that receives a paycheck and everyone that provides a paycheck.....and it is still not enough
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Well his VP says a repeal is what they are focusing on

http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/politico-pulse/2016/11/trump-to-prioritize-obamacare-repeal-insurer-mega-merger-trials-get-underway-how-cmmi-could-survive-217513

Quote:
"Decisions have been made by the president-elect that he wants to focus out of the gate on repealing Obamacare and beginning the process of replacing Obamacare with the kind of free-market solutions that he campaigned on," Pence said.

I'm sure this "free-market solution" will be the best. Yuge, yuge healthcare!

The free market solution was a disaster and that is why they came up with the ACA.

I bet the vast majority of the public not receiving subsidies would much prefer a return to pre ACA healthcare market.

we would actually still be subsidizing those without health insurance via ER visits (thru tax payer payment for the ER)

And that's exaclty what happens without a mandate, young & healthy individuals simply won't purchase insurance because they know that emergencies will be covered under Reagan's EMTALA guarantee.

they are not purchasing with a mandate.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
trmiv wrote:

http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/politico-pulse/2016/11/trump-to-prioritize-obamacare-repeal-insurer-mega-merger-trials-get-underway-how-cmmi-could-survive-217513

Quote:
"Decisions have been made by the president-elect that he wants to focus out of the gate on repealing Obamacare and beginning the process of replacing Obamacare with the kind of free-market solutions that he campaigned on," Pence said.

The free market solution was a disaster and that is why they came up with the ACA.

I bet the vast majority of the public not receiving subsidies would much prefer a return to pre ACA healthcare market.

we would actually still be subsidizing those without health insurance via ER visits (thru tax payer payment for the ER)

And that's exaclty what happens without a mandate, young & healthy individuals simply won't purchase insurance because they know that emergencies will be covered under Reagan's EMTALA guarantee.

you collect $ into the pool via the penalty if don't sign up
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Opening health care insurance to complete free market will guaranteed continuation of profits. To control cost, you have to control all those industries which I think is impossible without single payer system

Competition increases price?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

part of income taxation, look on your paycheck

I know it comes from paychecks. My wonder is what companies they use? I believe there is a bidding war to insure Medicare. If so let the bidding begin for AHC.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
There is only one viable replacement and that is single payer....all the other options like a HSA are a huge joke on themiddle class.

Even if the federal government deposits money directly in to peoples HSA?

The diagnosis for many life altering diseases occurs when people are relatively young (ie, prior to 30 years of age). How are people that young supposed to build up a firewall through a Health Savings Account. And these accounts are meant to work in tandem with extremely high deductible policies which are capped.

25 years old, $150,000 in student loan debt, and receive a Chrohns diagnosis. Insurance caps out @ $75,000, but doesn't start paying until after the first $5000 in medical bills. How exactly is a HSA, a $500 government subsidy, & a capped insurance policy supposed to help that guy reach 50 years old with the diseases average $3000 monthly treatment costs?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:

its not a fraction of enough....what are the current penalties....a few hundred dollars per person?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Barack received 7,854,285 votes in Cali (60.24%) and 4,485,741 (63.35%), in NY (Wiki). Hillary, thus far (CNN), has received 7,230,669 votes in Cali (61.6%) and 4,143,874 (58.8%), in NY.

Eyeballin', as a percentage, Barack received a slightly higher percentage of votes in those states--somewhere just beyond a point.

Recent totals per Wiki: Trump, Popular vote: 61,958,044 (46.56%); Hillary: 63,640,193 (47.83%)

Hillary's lead is nearly 1.6M.

Hillary is about 2.25M behind Barack.

Trump, thus far, has received 46.56% of the popular vote and 56.88% of the electoral vote.

One of the tallies has it at 1.7 million today, likely to grow even more. She might be less than 2 million behind Obama once all the votes are counted.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Barack received 7,854,285 votes in Cali (60.24%) and 4,485,741 (63.35%), in NY. Hillary, thus far, has received 7,230,669 votes in Cali (61.6%) and 4,143,874 (58.8%), in NY.

Eyeballin', as a percentage, Barack received a slightly higher percentage of votes in those states--somewhere just beyond a point.

Recent totals per Wiki: Trump, Popular vote: 61,958,044 (46.56%); Hillary: 63,640,193 (47.83%)

Hillary's lead is nearly 1.6M.

Trump, thus far, has received 46.56% of the popular vote and 56.88% of the electoral vote.

Why does it matter? A candidate would run a totally different campaign if the goal was to get the most overall votes.

Yep. Donald could win more popular votes in some states by changing tactics. That could also affect the popular votes in those states he previously campaigned in. Zero sum gain? Dunno.

yeah, trump won fair and square (within the game)... move on

focus on what DNC gonna do instead

Yes, the Donald won fair and square--that is if blatant and repeated lying, having Russia, Wikileaks and the FBI against you is fair and square.

The point is not to belabor who won, but to understand exactly what happened, so as not to overreact and over-correct, to try to figure what is best in order. As this thread shows, Democrats don't seem to agree on that solution.

Oddly, Republicans went through this four years ago and they decided they needed to branch out to recruit minorities, particularly Latinos and Hispanics, yet they did just the opposite, and won "fair and square."

I am not sure comparing Hillary's vote totals to Obama's says much considering both Romney and McCain received more votes than Trump and lost.....except this was just a lower turnout election, which is about the only thing that I expected to happen that actually happened. Most voters did not see the candidates as inspirational.

That might be a valid statement if Romney and McCain did indeed receive more votes than Trump. Truth is, they did not.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump released a “video message” Monday to the American people outlining the core principle of his presidency — “putting America first” — and laying out executive actions he wants to take beginning on day ones, including scrapping regulations on energy production, withdrawing from trade agreements and "investigating all abuses of visa programs."

“Whether it’s producing steel, building cars, or curing disease, I want the next generation of production and innovation to happen right here, on our great homeland: America – creating wealth and jobs for American workers,” Trump says in the video, his first address since his acceptance speech on election night.

By posting the video on YouTube rather than making a personal appearance, he side-stepped follow-up questions and his aides could manage how he is portrayed, rather than relying on independent media to capture the footage they wanted shown.

Trump Release 1st Hundred Days Message via YouTube
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
Opening health care insurance to complete free market will guaranteed continuation of profits. To control cost, you have to control all those industries which I think is impossible without single payer system

Competition increases price?

it's a possiblity but unlikely. All industries in US in the past couple decades are geared towards mergers and getting bigger to eliminate competition.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:

its not a fraction of enough....what are the current penalties....a few hundred dollars per person?

yeah, i think you're right. It's not enough to keep the profit margin, has to increase the premium
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Donald Trump Outlines Policy Plans for First 100 Days in Office

LINK

Sounds good. I don't like the energy plans. I think it would add to pollution.

I noticed he didn't mention immigration or Obamacare.

Donald is smarter than some are giving him credit for being. He released a video about his plans instead of holding a press conference. That way he didn't have to field questions.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
There is only one viable replacement and that is single payer....all the other options like a HSA are a huge joke on themiddle class.

the size of this subsidy has to be large enough to replace the mandated $ from young healthy people (both actual insurance premiums + penalties)

Even if it is only half, it would still be significant releif. They would also be fully transferable and could really help out people who have a health event and are hit with having to pay their full deductible
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The diagnosis for many life altering diseases occurs when people are relatively young (ie, prior to 30 years of age). How are people that young supposed to build up a firewall through a Health Savings Account. And these accounts are meant to work in tandem with extremely high deductible policies which are capped.

25 years old, $150,000 in student loan debt, and receive a Chrohns diagnosis. Insurance caps out @ $75,000, but doesn't start paying until after the first $5000 in medical bills. How exactly is a HSA, a $500 government subsidy, & a capped insurance policy supposed to help that guy reach 50 years old with the diseases average $3000 monthly treatment costs?

Fisrst, it would be better than nothing. I support single payer, but I see some merits in HSA's before we get there. After many years hopefully some people would get to build up a nice balance in their HSA. The figures you have pointed to would still be the same without HSA's. You would be able to put your own money in them and reduce your tax bill. They would also be transferable between family members and possibly friends. I can see the argument that they may not go far enough, but you can't deny that they would help, and many cases help significantly. When the Democrats don't even like single payer you have to start looking at the merit of other options.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

The Donald it tweeting again. He's blasting Hamilton and SNL. LINK
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump, in the midst of choosing his Cabinet, took time out Sunday for a second day to criticize the cast of the Broadway musical "Hamilton" and demand an apology for a message an actor delivered from stage to Trump's running mate about the need for diversity in America.

He also tweeted about the most recent episode of "Saturday Night Live," saying that it was not funny.

He's still you hit me I'll hit you back.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Report: Trump pressed Argentina's president about stalled building project

Quote:
According to a report in the Argentine paper La Nacion, when President Mauricio Macri called Trump to congratulate him on winning the election, Trump used the opportunity to urge him to clear the way for a stalled office building development.
Talking Points Memo translated the story, which included comments from well-respected local journalist Jorge Lanata.

“Macri called him. This still hasn’t emerged but Trump asked for them to authorize a building he’s constructing in Buenos Aires, it wasn’t just a geopolitical chat,” said Lanata.

Might need to be taken with a grain of salt because it goes on to say

Quote:
Macri spokesman Ivan Pavlovsky told Bloomberg that Macri offered his congratulations and the two talked about the U.S.-Argentina affairs and their own past relationship. Pavlovsky said he was in the room during the call and it did not address any real estate projects.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Trump registered eight companies in Saudi Arabia during campaign: report

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump registered eight companies during his presidential campaign that appear to be tied to hotel interests in Saudi Arabia, according to a report in The Washington Post.

Trump registered the companies in August 2015, shortly after launching his presidential bid, according to The Post.

The companies were registered under names such as THC Jeddah Hotel and DT Jeddah Technical Services, according to financial disclosure filings.

I can only imagine the outrage on his twitter feed if Hillary were on the other end of this story.

Any word on a blind trust yet? Or liquidation of assets?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Judges Say Wisconsin Legislative Boundaries Unconstitutional

Quote:
Federal judges struck down Wisconsin's Republican-drawn legislative districts as unconstitutional on Monday, marking a victory for minority Democrats that could force the Legislature to redraw the maps.

The three-judge panel didn't order any immediate changes to district boundaries, instead saying they would give state attorneys and the voters who challenged the old maps 45 days to offer suggestions.

State lawyers plan to appeal the 2-1 ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court, but for now the decision offers hope for Democrats who have been in the minority for six years and lost more ground in this month's elections. The lawsuit focuses on Assembly districts, but since Senate districts are based on the Assembly maps the ruling invalidates both chambers' maps.

Quote:
A dozen voters sued in July 2015, arguing the maps unconstitutionally discriminated against Democrats by diluting their voting power. They called it the worst example of gerrymandering — a term for dividing districts to gain an unfair advantage — in modern history.

One effect, plaintiff attorney Gerald Hebert argued during a trial in May, was to reduce the number of swing districts from 19 to 10. The plaintiffs also noted that under the new maps in 2012 Republicans won 60 of 99 Assembly seats even though Democrats won a majority of the statewide vote.

Gerrymandering is a big problem, and I'm glad to see it addressed.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Those living in the vicinity of Trump Tower are in for a huge lifestyle change. Melania and Baaron are not going to the White House when Trump moves in. Trump says they won't move to Washington until he finishes school.

Baaron is 10, that would put him in the 4th grade. If he remains in New York that means SS will be on two fronts. In essence there will be 2 White Houses.

He may never get to Washington.

No need to get into what his and their reasons might be for this decision, but it is logistically impossible for Trump to live in Trump Tower, in terms of his ability to run the country from there and security issues. I suppose his wife and son do not need to be with him though.

I heard a lot of complaints from my conservative friends about how B and M Obama were always on vacation or how his trips to and from various locations cost taxpayers a ton of money. I'd love to see the bill on how much it'll cost us if Trump ends up spending a significant amount of time living outside the white house.

sssh It's okay when Republicans spend money we don't have.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

Quote:

Those insurance companies already are yuge. Leeches sucking off the lifeblood of the American people
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Judges Say Wisconsin Legislative Boundaries Unconstitutional

Quote:
Federal judges struck down Wisconsin's Republican-drawn legislative districts as unconstitutional on Monday, marking a victory for minority Democrats that could force the Legislature to redraw the maps.

The three-judge panel didn't order any immediate changes to district boundaries, instead saying they would give state attorneys and the voters who challenged the old maps 45 days to offer suggestions.

State lawyers plan to appeal the 2-1 ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court, but for now the decision offers hope for Democrats who have been in the minority for six years and lost more ground in this month's elections. The lawsuit focuses on Assembly districts, but since Senate districts are based on the Assembly maps the ruling invalidates both chambers' maps.

Quote:
A dozen voters sued in July 2015, arguing the maps unconstitutionally discriminated against Democrats by diluting their voting power. They called it the worst example of gerrymandering — a term for dividing districts to gain an unfair advantage — in modern history.

One effect, plaintiff attorney Gerald Hebert argued during a trial in May, was to reduce the number of swing districts from 19 to 10. The plaintiffs also noted that under the new maps in 2012 Republicans won 60 of 99 Assembly seats even though Democrats won a majority of the statewide vote.

Gerrymandering is a big problem, and I'm glad to see it addressed.

That's just one segment of the country. It's a nationwide problem.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next
Page 5 of 3674
Jump to: