Colin Kaepernick - Update pg 21, settlement agreed to
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

Is it true that he converted to Islam recently?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Addressing reporters from his locker at the team's training facility Sunday, Kaepernick, who's sat for The Star Spangled Banner during the Niners' past two preseason games, said: "I'll continue to sit. I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me, this is something that has to change, and when there's significant change — and I feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent, and this country is representing people the way it's supposed to — I'll stand."

Sitting to Continue Until the Government Approved Killing Stops

Yes because sitting is going to have any impact. Is Kaepernick donating any of his salary to help the people he feel is oppressed? Is he out getting involved in any movements to help the people he believes are oppressed? How about he is actually gets out and do something instead of making a douche out of himself.

I love how some folks (not unlike yourself) believe themselves to be the arbiter of HOW someone should protest.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Addressing reporters from his locker at the team's training facility Sunday, Kaepernick, who's sat for The Star Spangled Banner during the Niners' past two preseason games, said: "I'll continue to sit. I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me, this is something that has to change, and when there's significant change — and I feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent, and this country is representing people the way it's supposed to — I'll stand."

Yes because sitting is going to have any impact. Is Kaepernick donating any of his salary to help the people he feel is oppressed? Is he out getting involved in any movements to help the people he believes are oppressed? How about he is actually gets out and do something instead of making a douche out of himself.

I love how some folks (not unlike yourself) believe themselves to be the arbiter of HOW someone should protest.

If you are a public figure using your public status to make a public statement of protest, it is entirely fair for the public to assess that public statement, have an opinion of it and express that opinion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

If you are a public figure using your public status to make a public statement of protest, it is entirely fair for the public to assess that public statement, have an opinion of it and express that opinion.

Okay. That's nice.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Okay. That's nice.

Just as you are free to express your opinion of any criticisms. See how that works . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Okay. That's nice.

Just as you are free to express your opinion of any criticisms. See how that works . . .

Sure...and as soon as you show me where I said he doesn't have a right to express his opinion, maybe I'll think you have a point instead of just being your usual snarky jackass.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Good for Kap. Not going to debate what's the right way to do it, but we need even bigger voices to take a stand. There are other agendas being carried out with so much effort, and it's sickening. Yet, this issue manages to get swept under the rug as usual.

Big voice? Dude isn't even a B listed NFL player. I realize he is riding the PR machine, but what he feels isn't something I choose to care about. Just another fallen athlete trying to hold on.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

I love that we all can have opinions on how someone feels they should protest. Maybe the point he is making is lost on those who feel commentary opposing what he is doing should never happen.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Good for Kap. Not going to debate what's the right way to do it, but we need even bigger voices to take a stand. There are other agendas being carried out with so much effort, and it's sickening. Yet, this issue manages to get swept under the rug as usual.

Big voice? Dude isn't even a B listed NFL player. I realize he is riding the PR machine, but what he feels isn't something I choose to care about. Just another fallen athlete trying to hold on.

Seems to have gotten everyone's attention, including yours.

Yet, there are many other people who do care about it, and want their voices heard.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

Sure...and as soon as you show me where I said he doesn't have a right to express his opinion, maybe I'll think you have a point instead of just being your usual snarky jackass.

"I love how some folks (not unlike yourself) believe themselves to be the arbiter of HOW someone should protest"

Pretty much speaks for itself in that regard.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Yet, there are many other people who do care about it, and want their voices heard.

My attention expands to this thread. If not on LG, I wouldn't be familiar with what he is doing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

My attention expands to this thread. If not on LG, I wouldn't be familiar with what he is doing.

If that's true your attention span and powers of observation are poor

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
To me, whatever the issues he has with the police are irrelevant to respecting the flag. A lot of people including a lot of black people have died defending that flag and the freedoms it represents.

To me, it just screams "look at me" and is a childish and naive act to take...similar to what a teenager might do for instance when upset.

The guy is a clown and a bad NFL QB to boot.

I tend to think this guy is looking for an issue to work with, but to your main point, the fact that a lot of people have died for this country doesn't change the fact that people have suffered at its hands as well, and the flag cannot be just used for one end of the spectrum and denied for the other.

In general, I guess I still believe the USA is for the most part good for the world as far as the values our country represents.

When I am in another country (or even this one) I am someone who respects cultural traditions or beliefs even if they aren't necessarily my own. For instance, having dinner at someone's house and them saying grace which my family does not or taking off my shoes when going to my friends house where that is the tradition.

I could make a statement and leave the room when they say grace or leave my shoes on because that is not my custom....but to me, that would be classless and rude. If Kaepernick is as interested in social change as he says he is, I would be curious how much of the $30 million he has made for being a very mediocre NFL QB that he has donated to such causes.

I respect that, and don't 100% disagree, although I would point out that many people in the world and in this country don't share that opinion, and often have good reason for it. And most people don't like being told the US isn't necessarily the great benevolent myth, which is why it is important to do so.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

Shoot the messenger, hear the message. Not many are commenting on what Kaepernick said. What he's saying should be the focus not his supposed selfish reasons or personality.

His reasons for going public with his stance is of little importance to me. The issues he's broaching is of utmost importance.

Again, Shoot The Messenger, Hear The Message.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Guy wanted to make a statement and get people's attention. Looks like it worked. Don't see the harm.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Shoot the messenger, hear the message. Not many are commenting on what Kaepernick said. What he's saying should be the focus not his supposed selfish reasons or personality.

His reasons for going public with his stance is of little importance to me. The issues he's broaching is of utmost importance.

Most people are projecting their hatred of Colin, instead of addressing the real issue, which the majority of Americans don't want to deal with in the first place.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

If Donald Trump were to support Black Lives Matter, you'd likely look at him with the same level of skepticism.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

This B listed NFL player has garnered more attention than the superstars. You don't care about the issue he's addressing?

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
^^^^^ One thing for sure is, summer is normally peak killing season for cops, yet this summer has seen a noticable decrease in killing of unarmed citizens. Heck, it's been almost a month since we've had a cop killing unarmed citizen thread. That's gotta be a record since the spotlight got shined on the killing spree. So for better or worse, things seem to at least finally be moving in the right direction. Or it could just be a setup for a rather bloody Autumn. Guess only time will tell.

True.

A legitimate question: at what point could we consider the problem "solved"?

Are we talking months? years? decades? I feel like any death would just bring back nostalgic resentment towards the police force.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

This B listed NFL player has garnered more attention than the superstars. You don't care about the issue he's addressing?

The fact that someone may question CK's methods/motivations in no way means they do not care about the issue.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
To me, whatever the issues he has with the police are irrelevant to respecting the flag. A lot of people including a lot of black people have died defending that flag and the freedoms it represents.

To me, it just screams "look at me" and is a childish and naive act to take...similar to what a teenager might do for instance when upset.

The guy is a clown and a bad NFL QB to boot.

I tend to think this guy is looking for an issue to work with, but to your main point, the fact that a lot of people have died for this country doesn't change the fact that people have suffered at its hands as well, and the flag cannot be just used for one end of the spectrum and denied for the other.

In general, I guess I still believe the USA is for the most part good for the world as far as the values our country represents.

When I am in another country (or even this one) I am someone who respects cultural traditions or beliefs even if they aren't necessarily my own. For instance, having dinner at someone's house and them saying grace which my family does not or taking off my shoes when going to my friends house where that is the tradition.

I could make a statement and leave the room when they say grace or leave my shoes on because that is not my custom....but to me, that would be classless and rude. If Kaepernick is as interested in social change as he says he is, I would be curious how much of the $30 million he has made for being a very mediocre NFL QB that he has donated to such causes.

I respect that, and don't 100% disagree, although I would point out that many people in the world and in this country don't share that opinion, and often have good reason for it. And most people don't like being told the US isn't necessarily the great benevolent myth, which is why it is important to do so.

As it relates to Kaepernick's comments though -- the US as a whole is world's better than any other country on the planet in terms of how it treats its minority citizens.

This will likely cause some big time gasps at the hands of the extremist lefties here, but, it's true. There's a reason we minorities don't go back to our motherlands.

And it's not the food. =)
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Because it's the NFL..

and he plays for a popular NFL team.

Have you heard of Robbie Rogers? If he was an NFL player and not an MLS player, the whole gay community would be in up arms.

The fact that Kap was irrelevant before this and now has everyone talking about him makes it look like a fantastic PR stunt. You can reasonably argue that it's not a PR stunt, and i wont argue with you about it... but you cannot deny that this has made him relevant again in probably the single biggest entertainment entity in america.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Guy wanted to make a statement and get people's attention. Looks like it worked. Don't see the harm.

Definitely no harm. And I support his right to make whatever statement he wishes. The extent to which it "worked" depends on how you define worked in this context. It sure worked in regards to getting attention for him. It certainly sparked discussion about what sitting down during the National Anthem means or doesn't mean and the proprieties of that. But as far as really furthering the movement of making law enforcement more accountable and better trained, or even bringing new attention to it, that all got buried under the Flag/Anthem debate.

I'm all for people choosing whatever method of protest they want to utilize. But there is no doubt some methods are more effective than others. I don't see this one as one of the effective ones - at least as executed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Because it's the NFL..

and he plays for a popular NFL team.

Have you heard of Robbie Rogers? If he was an NFL player and not an MLS player, the whole gay community would be in up arms.

The fact that Kap was irrelevant before this and now has everyone talking about him makes it look like a fantastic PR stunt. You can reasonably argue that it's not a PR stunt, and i wont argue with you about it... but you cannot deny that this has made him relevant again in probably the single biggest entertainment entity in america.

It didn't make him any more relevant in the sport. He's still the same low-rate QB whose is hardly in demand. It certainly made him more recognizable to people outside the sport. But it hasn't changed his relevance.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

The fact that someone may question CK's methods/motivations in no way means they do not care about the issue.

I understand that. I asked VLF a question about his caring.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 4 of 26
Jump to: