COOK!!!!!!!!!!!! (Oh lighten up ... he deserves at least ONE topic of his own after his last three games)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject:

cr8zy0 wrote:
i dont understand why we don't run more pick and rolls w/ kobe and cook. wolf u got any insight on that? it seems like we go away from that for very long stretches at times. we should run it like every other play. i hate when i see cook on the opposite side as the ball. he is our most consistent spot up shooter.

Unfortunately, the basic PnR is not really what the triangle is all about. Although it can come out of the tri, the main strengths of the tri is to create isolations ... one-on-ones and two-on-twos. The system is tailor made for a player like Kobe if run properly or for a combo like MJ and Pippen or .... for Kobe-Cook tonight
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Isn't Cook a free agent soon? I would hate to see a team like Phoenix sign him. Could you imagine Cook in that offense?
Chris Mihm - "...the reason he's been forced to take as many shots as he has is because our offense tends to stagnate and then we just have a tendency to throw him the ball. When we don't keep moving, then he's kind of forced to get something up."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Cookie's a FA in 2007.

Lakers picked up his option for 06-07. On the books for cheaps.

Should be a MLE player in free agency IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

As much as I dislike his game, I think I'll actually MISS Cook.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:

I think we actually have him wrapped up through 2007-2008 if we want him at a mere $2 mil.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:
I think we actually have him wrapped up through 2007-2008 if we want him at a mere $2 mil.

I believe he would sign an extension for more than that. The only way he takes that is if he opts for the Qualifying offer and becomes an UFA in 2008.

Like what Evans/Radmanovic/Murray did in Seattle ...

9 outta 10 times guys just sign for the best offer avaliable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Ahhhhh .. you're right wolf.
BC_The_Laker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

He's always had this in him when he wants to actually play (that means scoring and rebounds, lol).. it just looks like he's finally wanted to STEP UP and take the next step.. Dont be expecting this every night.. At best 10/5 a night if he gets the minutes. But then again my man is so inconsistent who knows about him.. I've been supporting him ever since Junior High and I, must admit, believe he is showing me some signs of things I know about him these last couple games. Wether that continues or not, remains to be seen..
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:

He has played well the last couple of games, but like the others, this isn't the first time nor were games earlier in the trip the first time they laid eggs.

We'll see if not only Cook, but the rest of the guys can keep it up. Not the exact output, because there is no way that Cook is a consistent 20+ ppg scorer, but the constant effort on both ends of the floor.
kqiu2210
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject:

COOK COOK COOK COOK COOKIE!!! He is absolutely suprising me to no end...I can't believe we've started Kwame over Cook for half a season. Its never too late to make that change
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Now who ever said Kobe does'nt make others better?

Just ask Cook to begin with,I know what answer you'll get...................

Cook is not only capable of 15 to 20 per night with Kobe on the floor (As he proved in thees past two games),but..................He allows Kobe to have that little extra breathing room......Now Kobe will see doubles half the time,instead of constant doubles half the time and triples and traps the other half of the time.......

Kobe can now pick his spots....when doubled'pick them apart with passes out of them....when single coverage Kobe can go attack/strike mode all he wants.............

And now Lamar can play that 3rd option,a more fit spot for him....get his 14,9,and 6 a game.....
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
Cook has had 3 good games. The Lakers have been an up and down team the whole year. Overall, Mitch sucks. But GOOO LAKERS

the reason why he is actually having good games is because PJ is forced to play him
ive been saying it for a while now, why not give cook a chance with more minutes
cr8zy0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:

his defense can be minimized with team D.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Cook is definately the "X" factor for now. Now that I think of it, he is more than the "X" factor. Hopefully, this isn't a fluke. IF Cook can continue to avg 20 pts & 8 rebs, we should be fine with Lamar getting 10-14 pts as mentioned earlier
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Cookie with a Monster game.

K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Ko8e8ryant wrote:
Cookie with a Monster game.

Yeah man, 27 pts is A LOT. HE HAD 2 CONSISTENT GAMES TOO w/ over 25 pts. I am really surprised.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

If Cook got the minutes, he would be a CONSISTENT 13-17 PPG, 6 Rebounds player.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Chew that gum Cookie, chew that gum!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm not surprised at all. The very first post I ever made on LG was a long one defending Cook. Anytime you have a team built around a shooting guard, you have to have bigs who can draw opposing bigs outside of the paint (Ho Grant and Longley were money from midrange). It's nice to see Cook stepping up. But even as a Cook supporter, I don't expect him to sustain this kind of shooting forever. This should be a good confidence boost for him though. He has come through when the team has needed him.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Cook has a good stroke. If he loses it, it won't be for long as long as he keeps getting minutes and gets into a good rhythm. Unfortunately, Sasha doesn't work that way.
Redlight20
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:

its pure genius how phil is using COOK on a screen and roll with kobe the way teams are quick to double kobe ...with cook's shooting ..teams are forced to bring a 3rd man from the other side of the floor as the second man coming off the pick has to respect cook's range.

he could be just the 2nd option l.a needs to grind the 2nd half of the season.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Redlight20 wrote:
its pure genius how phil is using COOK on a screen and roll with kobe the way teams are quick to double kobe ...with cook's shooting ..teams are forced to bring a 3rd man from the other side of the floor as the second man coming off the pick has to respect cook's range.

he could be just the 2nd option l.a needs to grind the 2nd half of the season.

Rudy T did this until he left.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I love the way he decided to show up the last few games. Kobe has a lot of confidence in him and so do the coaches and other players. If he is our 2nd option on offense, it ain't a bad thing. That allows Kwame to be a defensive player and Lamar to be an all around player. When Mihm comes back we have a low post presence and life can get better.

Our defense is much better when the open shots are falling.

Go Wolf - get busy. It's your birthday.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

cook is a sg in a pf's body... very good shooter, not more than fair rebounder, very weak on d... he can create mismatches, but also on the bad side... can you imagine cook as our starting pf defending tim duncan or kevin garnett or amare stoudemire?... as long as he shoots so good, we need to exploit him... but he can't be our starting pf: maybe with the suns's style, but not with the triple post offense...
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, all those realists will be whining after the next Laker loss. What bugs me is: A. "The roster sucks" followed by B. "trade Bynum, etc. for KG or whoever." The roster is terrible, but somehow we are going to get superstars for our terrible players. I know Golden State got Barron for cheap, but the days of teams giving the Lakers golden eggs for nothing are gone the way of the Gail Goodrich trade.

Cook has been great. He is learning and I could see him being a 12 and 6 player as our sixth man off the bench. He does what Slava did a few years ago, before his back got screwed up. He is never going to be a defensive stopper, but every year he is going to be less and less of a defensive liability. He takes the charges, had 10 rebounds tonight, and played 34 minutes. he coukld always shoot; now he knows how to play.

The other player to watch out for is Sasha. I've always been on the Cook bandwagon, but I was like the rest of Laker land, and ready to deal Sasha for a prune danish. Sasha has improved and will probably be next year's suprise contributor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: