Kerr: Kobe is MVP (Halftime Hardware)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Kerr: Kobe is MVP (Halftime Hardware)

Kobe MVP

Most Valuable Player
Kobe Bryant – I expect to receive plenty of flak for this one. Most people believe that the award should go to a player on a team having a great season, and normally I would agree. But Bryant has played so well this season – and been so utterly unguardable – that I have to give him the nod over Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and LeBron James. Kobe is putting up numbers that rival the greatest players in league history, and he has put the Los Angeles Lakers into solid playoff territory.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:

well, we're not in solid playoff territory right now..we've taken a nose dive...I still think Kobe should be MVP.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:

Kerr was on the Kobe bandwagon after the 81 game.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

MVP should be the best player in the game, not the best player on the best team...just my opinion, though.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

IMO MVPs the guy without whom their team sucks big time. By that definition Kobe, Nash and Cassell are up there.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong I want Kobe to MVP, Defensive POY, and Finals MVP if possible. But with the way the rest of team is playing, I just can't give it to him. I think Steve Nash is more deserving of the award. I really think w/o Amare Phoenix has even less than the Lakers do. But we're only at half the season, L.A. can still turn it around and have Kobe hoist that trophy up at the end.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
Don't get me wrong I want Kobe to MVP, Defensive POY, and Finals MVP if possible. But with the way the rest of team is playing, I just can't give it to him. I think Steve Nash is more deserving of the award. I really think w/o Amare Phoenix has even less than the Lakers do. But we're only at half the season, L.A. can still turn it around and have Kobe hoist that trophy up at the end.

Is this a serious statement?? Have you seen the kind of shooters Steve Nash has at his disposal?? He has at least 5. Remember, great shooting and a decent point guard will win you a lot of games every year. Look at the success the Queens had, and the Mavericks (with and without Steve Nash)....now while that doesn't necessarily translate in to championships, it will make you a perennial playoff team.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

Is this a serious statement?? Have you seen the kind of shooters Steve Nash has at his disposal?? He has at least 5. Remember, great shooting and a decent point guard will win you a lot of games every year. Look at the success the Queens had, and the Mavericks (with and without Steve Nash)....now while that doesn't necessarily translate in to championships, it will make you a perennial playoff team.

(sarcasm) Yes it is a serious statement. Who was Raja before Nash got him off? Who was Barbosa before Nash got him off? Was Johnson as good a shooter before Nash got there? Didn't Amare go from Man-child to 2nd or 3rd best big in the league after Nash? Shawn Marion was always good but how much more do you think he benefits from the fastbreak b/c of Nash? Granted the Lakers don't have much. But if you were to put Nash on the Lakers with a run and gun type of play instead of the triangle how much better would they be? But it doesn't make that much of a difference because as you basically said, offense wins games, defense wins champioships. Part of the Lakers problem is trying to learn that triangle offense which is in part hindering his run for the MVP.
SiRQB11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

if a team is not winning or not going to the playoffs, then no one player on that team can really be considered all that valuable. Winning is important to MVP consideration
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
That is a ridiculous statement. Without kobe, this team would be the worst team in the league (talentwise) and have the worst record in the league...watching the last few games and the utah games without kobe is testament to that... :roll:
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

(sarcasm) Yes it is a serious statement. Who was Raja before Nash got him off? Who was Barbosa before Nash got him off? Was Johnson as good a shooter before Nash got there? Didn't Amare go from Man-child to 2nd or 3rd best big in the league after Nash? Shawn Marion was always good but how much more do you think he benefits from the fastbreak b/c of Nash? Granted the Lakers don't have much. But if you were to put Nash on the Lakers with a run and gun type of play instead of the triangle how much better would they be? But it doesn't make that much of a difference because as you basically said, offense wins games, defense wins champioships. Part of the Lakers problem is trying to learn that triangle offense which is in part hindering his run for the MVP.

Raja was a working NBA player known for his defense and ability to knock down shots. And you said it yourself...Shawn Marion was always good...sure Nash makes him look better, but he was already good. He wasn't some broke down scrub that Nash shined into a diamond.

And the triangle has absolutely nothing, NOTHING to do with the fact that guys on this team can't hit a wide open shot. A wide open shot is a wide open shot, it doesn't matter what system you play in. The guys on Phx have been hitting them all season...our guys have not. Why?? Because they can't. The guys on Phx...if there is anything they can do well, it's shoot. That's why Steve Nash is a perfect fit.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:
That is a ridiculous statement. Without kobe, this team would be the worst team in the league (talentwise) and have the worst record in the league...watching the last few games and the utah games without kobe is testament to that... :roll:

Phoenix w/o Nash = what you said.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

Raja was a working NBA player known for his defense and ability to knock down shots. And you said it yourself...Shawn Marion was always good...sure Nash makes him look better, but he was already good. He wasn't some broke down scrub that Nash shined into a diamond.

And the triangle has absolutely nothing, NOTHING to do with the fact that guys on this team can't hit a wide open shot. A wide open shot is a wide open shot, it doesn't matter what system you play in. The guys on Phx have been hitting them all season...our guys have not. Why?? Because they can't. The guys on Phx...if there is anything they can do well, it's shoot. That's why Steve Nash is a perfect fit.

Disagree, the jumpshot works best in rythem. The triangle throws these guys out of rythem. When you get the ball even if your wide open you will miss it if you are not collected.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

Take Nash out of Phoenix, and they'll still be good. Look at Dallas, they're still good without Nash.

But take out Kobe from the Lakers, and we'll suck a$$ big time.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

Phoenix w/o Nash = what you said.
I didn't say Nash shouldn't be an MVP candidate, I said Phoenix has a better team (more talent) than the lakers do on their roster, so losing kobe would be more costly to the lakers than the suns losing nash, although it's pretty close...I know the suns dropped a lot of games without nash last year, but I think their team is better talent and depthwise than it was last year...just my opinion.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

Owned.

Who was Raja? What kind of dumb question is that . Raja was always a great shooter and a solid defender while Marion is the most underrated player in the NBA.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

Raja was no superstar, would I love to have him on the Lakers? absolutely but for his defense primarily. You know full if he was on the Lakers workin in the triangle he would be struggling with his shot.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
Raja was no superstar, would I love to have him on the Lakers? absolutely but for his defense primarily. You know full if he was on the Lakers workin in the triangle he would be struggling with his shot.

What? That's such a silly statement to make. Raja was knocking down open shots for Sloan in Utah and he's knocking down open shots for D'antoni in Phoenix. He's doing what he always does. That has absolutely nothing to do with the system. Either your a player who can knock down wide open shots or you're not.

Raja happens to be one who doesn't tense up and hesitate when he's left wide open, and consequently he hits his shots as a result. We have players who when the get the ball and are wide open, often pause, hesitate and then launch. That makes them not shoot in rythym and it makes them clank many shots they should make.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is it.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:

WHO SAID RAJA WAS A SUPERSTAR?

That's why Raja Bell is a 40% career 3 point shooter and has topped 41% from downtown in 3 of his last 4 seasons.

Owned.

Anyways, Kobe won't be MVP if the Lakers fail to make the playoffs of course... won't even be considered.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

What? That's such a silly statement to make. Raja was knocking down open shots for Sloan in Utah and he's knocking down open shots for D'antoni in Phoenix. He's doing what he always does. That has absolutely nothing to do with the system. Either your a player who can knock down wide open shots or you're not.

Raja happens to be one who doesn't tense up and hesitate when he's left wide open, and consequently he hits his shots as a result. We have players who when the get the ball and are wide open, often pause, hesitate and then launch. That makes them not shoot in rythym and it makes them clank many shots they should make.

So the fact that all these players on Lakers squad have to think every offensive possession about their position, where their supposed to be, when they should cut doesn't make them hesitate?

It totally affects them. And if Raja was on the Lakers he would going through the same thing most of the Lakers are going through as well.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:

WHO SAID RAJA WAS A SUPERSTAR?

That's why Raja Bell is a 40% career 3 point shooter and has topped 41% from downtown in 3 of his last 4 seasons.

Owned.

Anyways, Kobe won't be MVP if the Lakers fail to make the playoffs of course... won't even be considered.

See above.

And as far as the "Kobe won't be MVP unless they make the playoffs" statment I agree with you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: