OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1727, 1728, 1729 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
There are soccer players like that who have long loping strides so they seem like they aren't trying... then you look at distance covered and they are among the top in the league.

https://stats.nba.com/players/speed-distance/?sort=DIST_FEET&dir=1

Hope that puts the lazy argument to rest...

Unless AD is lazy... as Ingram and Kuzma's average speed is higher than AD.

That is actually a pleasant surprise about BI. Thanks

Paging BigJameHames...

Right here... the cut numbers were already posted and show he doesn’t cut nearly enough. I’m sorry if I don’t think average speed disproves the idea that Ingram has lazy tendencies. I really wish I could watch a game with you guys and just point out the instances when I feel he’s being lazy.

I think if you watch any player for an entire game... you will see moments when they take plays off. I've also seen Ingram start a run... and then kind of half ass it when he doesn't get the ball... but he's really active defensively so maybe that makes up for it.

The point is that even if there is room for improvement... that there many more players who make less effort than Ingram and Kuzma who should be criticized first. Ingram foot speed numbers should be even higher as you all have pointed out that he likes pounding the ball. Well, if he's as terrible pounding the ball as you all have said... think of how much faster his average speed would be if he only did catch and shoot like Buddy and Klay...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

I think BI excels in the open court with his huge strides. In half court, he does seem a bit more sedentary where his long strides won't help as much as quicker footwork (and he has long legs, huge feet that hinder that).
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
There are soccer players like that who have long loping strides so they seem like they aren't trying... then you look at distance covered and they are among the top in the league.

Paging BigJameHames...

Right here... the cut numbers were already posted and show he doesn’t cut nearly enough. I’m sorry if I don’t think average speed disproves the idea that Ingram has lazy tendencies. I really wish I could watch a game with you guys and just point out the instances when I feel he’s being lazy.

I think if you watch any player for an entire game... you will see moments when they take plays off. I've also seen Ingram start a run... and then kind of half ass it when he doesn't get the ball... but he's really active defensively so maybe that makes up for it.

The point is that even if there is rookie m for improvement... that there many more players who make less effort than Ingram and Kuzma who should be criticized first. Ingram foot speed numbers should be even higher as you all have pointed out that he likes pounding the ball. Well, if he's as terrible pounding the ball as you all have said... think of how much faster his average speed would be if he only did catch and shoot like Buddy and Klay...

Yes there are other players who are also lazy but this is the BI thread and I’m discussing BI and his cutting which I believe is significantly impacted by laziness when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands. I also think really active defensively isn’t an accurate statement.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

People silly!!

He doesn't cut enough now is why Ingram is garbage

If he's bad, he's bad because he can't shoot and he's too thin. It's not that he doesn't cut. Insane.

If someone is playing off of a non shooter, why would he cut and bring defender into the lane. He's not going to beat the guy on the cut, because the defender is already playing off him. Then your just cutting to cut, which is as stupid and dogging a player for not cutting enough.

Kuzma cuts more because defenders overplay him since he's more of a threat from deep. Teams are allowing Ingram to catch. They realize he doesn't want to shoot. He wants to dribble and get into the lane. No need to overplay him. From what I've seen, Ingram cuts at appropriate times and the ball usually finds him when he does.

Shooting should be his main priority. If that improves so will his opportunities to cut.

Last edited by botox on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think BI excels in the open court with his huge strides. In half court, he does seem a bit more sedentary where his long strides won't help as much as quicker footwork (and he has long legs, huge feet that hinder that).

He’s a GREAT finisher in transition.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

botox wrote:
People silly!!

If he's bad, he's bad because he can't shoot and he's too thin. It's not because he doesn't cut. Insane.

If someone is playing off of a non shooter, why would he cut and bring defender into the lane. He's not going to beat the guy on the cut, because the defender is already playing off him. Then your just cutting to cut, which is as stupid and dogging a player for not cutting enough.

Kuzma cuts more because defenders overplay him because he's more of a threat from deep. Teams are allowing Ingram to catch, because they realize he doesn't want to shoot. He wants to dribble and get into the lane. No need to overplay him. From what I've seen, Ingram cuts at appropriate times and the ball usually finds him when he does.

Shooting should be his main priority. If that improves so will his opportunities to cut.

Who said he’s garbage? The answer is nobody, we said he doesn’t cut enough which is undoubtedly true regardless of what excuses you wanna make up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

botox wrote:
People silly!!

If he's bad, he's bad because he can't shoot and he's too thin. It's not because he doesn't cut. Insane.

Kuzma cuts more because defenders overplay him because he's more of a threat from deep. Teams are allowing Ingram to catch, because they realize he doesn't want to shoot. He wants to dribble and get into the lane. No need to overplay him. From what I've seen, Ingram cuts at appropriate times and the ball usually finds him when he does.

I think this is fair. But I shared the Cranjis post which he said that he got from Synergy stats. I think it meets the eye test. But it's an interesting data point to ponder. Good to see he seems to be moving off ball a bit more since LBJ came back. (When LBJ was out he was doing a lot of the primary ball handling for us, especially with Lonzo AND Rondo out).
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

The point is that even if there is rookie m for improvement... that there many more players who make less effort than Ingram and Kuzma who should be criticized first. Ingram foot speed numbers should be even higher as you all have pointed out that he likes pounding the ball. Well, if he's as terrible pounding the ball as you all have said... think of how much faster his average speed would be if he only did catch and shoot like Buddy and Klay...

Yes there are other players who are also lazy but this is the BI thread and I’m discussing BI and his cutting which I believe is significantly impacted by laziness when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands. I also think really active defensively isn’t an accurate statement.

Well then 92% of the league is lazier and less active on defense then.

Again, yes I've seen room for improvement but it sounds like you and I are both watching Ingram more than the average viewer... myself as a fan... and you as a skeptic.

Bottom line... the empirical facts show that he's moving more than the vast majority of the league... and you think he's lazy on offense... and iffy on defense.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Ingram is the one guy out of our bunch that I think can be really special. It doesn't jump out at your right away, but you have to pay attention to his progression so far. He is hungry to learn and make incremental improvements to his game, and I think he will continue to make those improvements over the next 3-5 years to start approaching top 10-15 player in the league status. He's essentially a solid 3 pointer away from achieving that.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

He's going to score approximately 19.9934983943849384 points tonight.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

Again, yes I've seen room for improvement but it sounds like you and I are both watching Ingram more than the average viewer... myself as a fan... and you as a skeptic.

Bottom line... the empirical facts show that he's moving more than the vast majority of the league... and you think he's lazy on offense... and iffy on defense.

Just like I was skeptical of the cutting data, I’m skeptical of this data. He certainly isn’t in the top 8% of the league as far as effort goes. I don’t need numbers to support that IMO. I played a lot of ball, coached some at a relatively high level, and have watched TONS. I trust my eyes a lot. Surely many in here will say my eyes are biased, that’s fine but it’s not the case. I know what I’m talking about, I understand the game and I believe if I watched film with most people who accuse me of being bias or pushing an agenda, I could prove to them that isn’t the case whether we still agree or disagree afterwards.
Air Kobe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

I wonder how much of the "Ingram is lazy" impression comes from his stoner face
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Air Kobe wrote:

90% minimum.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

Just like I was skeptical of the cutting data, I’m skeptical of this data. He certainly isn’t in the top 8% of the league as far as effort goes. I don’t need numbers to support that IMO. I played a lot of ball, coached some at a relatively high level, and have watched TONS. I trust my eyes a lot. Surely many in here will say my eyes are biased, that’s fine but it’s not the case. I know what I’m talking about, I understand the game and I believe if I watched film with most people who accuse me of being bias or pushing an agenda, I could prove to them that isn’t the case whether we still agree or disagree afterwards.

I wouldn't say I'm skeptical of the data, but I was surprised to see both he and Kuzma so high.

Maybe his movement is inefficient... maybe he's running at times when he doesn't need to move and not running when he should.

As I said, it could be that he takes some plays off... but it also could be that because you are invested in our players and the well being of the team... that like an Asian helicopter mom who gets pissed when her child gets an A minus rather than a perfect score... maybe your expectations are higher for your own players rather than others. What would happen when you watch Tatum for a month straight? Maybe you might see similar flaws.

At any rate... I want Ingram to improve as well... my point is that maybe he's not as lazy as you think he is.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

Air Kobe wrote:

None.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

I wouldn't say I'm skeptical of the data, but I was surprised to see both he and Kuzma so high.

Maybe his movement is inefficient... maybe he's running at times when he doesn't need to move and not running when he should.

As I said, it could be that he takes some plays off... but it also could be that because you are invested in our players and the well being of the team... that like an Asian helicopter mom who gets pissed when her child gets an A minus rather than a perfect score... maybe your expectations are higher for your own players rather than others. What would happen when you watch Tatum for a month straight? Maybe you might see similar flaws.

At any rate... I want Ingram to improve as well... my point is that maybe he's not as lazy as you think he is.

Yea I might see the same in Tatum. I’m comparing Ingram to other Lakers young players(as most the vets have been pretty lazy for a few months now) and the two guys who move the most according to those stats are the lazier ones. Hart is not a good defender but he plays very hard, much harder than LeBron who is ahead of him in those stats. Maybe minutes have an impact on those numbers and if they are adjusted for them they’ll paint a more accurate picture but im very skeptical in the data that was presented.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

What are you doing next week?

No one is suggesting you wouldn't be able to point out many plays in which Brandon Ingram is "being lazy". We're suggesting if you did the same for every other player on this team, you'd be pointing out BI is "being lazy" less than any other player in this team (except Kuzma).

If BI is being lazy while simultaneously leading the team in actual movement while on the court, what's it say about his teammates?

What's it say for Lonzo (you seem to be a Zo apologist), who is so "disruptive" on defense, and is ALL OVER THE COURT, yet still manages to put in less movement than BI? Is Zo even lazier?

Last edited by The God Particle on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

No one is suggesting you wouldn't be able to point out many plays in which Brandon Ingram is "being lazy". We're suggesting you if you did the same for every other player on this team, you'd be pointing out BI is "being lazy" less than any other player in this team (except Kuzma).

If BI is being lazy while simultaneously leading the team in actual movement while on the court, what's it say about his teammates?

What's it say for Lonzo (you seem to be a Zo apologist), who is so "disruptive" on defense, and is ALL OVER THE COURT, yet still manages to put in less movement than BI? Is Zo even lazier?

I already said I’m skeptical of the numbers. Sure, call me whatever you want, but my opinions are unbiased and based on what I see. Lonzo had some lazy games earlier in the year but on average he(or Hart) are the hardest workers on the team IMO.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

No one is suggesting you wouldn't be able to point out many plays in which Brandon Ingram is "being lazy". We're suggesting you if you did the same for every other player on this team, you'd be pointing out BI is "being lazy" less than any other player in this team (except Kuzma).

I already said I’m skeptical of the numbers. Sure, call me whatever you want, but my opinions are unbiased and based on what I see. Lonzo had some lazy games earlier in the year but on average he(or Hart) are the hardest workers on the team IMO.

What about the bolded?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

What about the bolded?

You got me. I would like to theoretically meet up but I’m not planning on actually meeting up with somebody I meet online. No offense but it’s just not something I do.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Paging BigJameHames...

What about the bolded?

You got me. I would like to theoretically meet up but I’m not planning on actually meeting up with somebody I meet online. No offense but it’s just not something I do.

Come on man!

We spend more time arguing with one another than with family!

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

do people not realize in another year he is likely going to be demanding an extension that will probably average 20mil/year?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
do people not realize in another year he is likely going to be demanding an extension that will probably average 20mil/year?

Yea the contract is a factor but we thought Jules was gonna command that much too. I’m not convinced he gets that much. Generally, the guys getting overpaid can shoot and the ones who get underpaid can’t.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Harrison Barnes
Nicolas Batum
LM Aldridge
Serge Ibaka
Aaron Gordon
Danilo Gallinari
Victor Oladipo
Ryan Anderson
Jabari Parker

These are some players making around 24 to 20 million

I don't think Ingram can surpass Oladipo or Aldridge by next season... but all he has to do is show he's better than the rest... or on a clear path to exceed them to justify a 20 million dollar contract.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Harrison Barnes
Nicolas Batum
LM Aldridge
Serge Ibaka
Aaron Gordon
Danilo Gallinari
Victor Oladipo
Ryan Anderson
Jabari Parker

These are some players making around 24 to 20 million

I don't think Ingram can surpass Oladipo or Aldridge by next season... but all he has to do is show he's better than the rest... or on a clear path to exceed them to justify a 20 million dollar contract.

I don’t think overpaying Ingram because he’s better than other players who have been overpayed for is a wise way to run a team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1727, 1728, 1729 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1728 of 1885
Jump to: