News 'n Views - June 2016: Lakers prepared for another summer of rejection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
D’Angelo Russell feels he has something to prove next season
by Gary Kester - lakersoutsiders.com

The moment that the Los Angeles Lakers passed on Jahlil Okafor with the No. 2 pick in the 2015 NBA Draft for D’Angelo Russell, fans were both surprised and very excited to see what the future would hold for the former Ohio State Buckeye.

What ensued was a rollercoaster ride of a rookie season that saw its share of peaks and valleys. After beginning the season in the starting lineup, Byron Scott benched him and 2014 lottery pick Julius Randle due to the team’s poor performance, a move that irked a large portion of the fan base. Both would eventually earn their way back into the starting lineup, tallying some moments along the way that would trigger excitement from fans in regards to the future of this group.

Nights like leading the comeback in Sacramento with 27 points or his season-high 39 points against the Nets, knocking down a bevy of threes, including the game-sealing triple before pointing to his arm and letting everyone know that he has ice in his veins have fans beyond excited to see what type of player Russell will become. With those thrilling performances, came plenty of disappointing games as well, but Russell is working to make sure those become an irregularity.

Russell is currently in China with a group of NBA players celebrating the growth of basketball, working with people of all ages with things such as basketball camps and events. While he is having a blast over in Beijing, he made the trip under one condition: He wanted to ensure he could still work on his game.

The 20-year-old told Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times that he’s worked relentlessly on getting better.

“Every day. … Every day,” Russell said. “I actually said I wasn’t going to take this trip if I couldn’t. The only other place I’ve been to out of the country is Mexico, and China is my second place. So I didn’t want to go if I couldn’t get the time in the gym.”

Even before the trip, Russell’s work ethic has been evident. When asked about waking up at 5 a.m. in Los Angeles to start working out, Russell replied, “Oh yeah. I feel like I have something to prove, man. It’s a dedication thing.”

Continued....
Swagger levels are up. Love the fact he's communicating with our coach and working on his game.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

Is he going to give it 110 percent too? One game at a time? Play with a sense of urgency. Ugh. Byron has infected him verbally now.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

socaguy wrote:
LaxT wrote:

I have been watching LSU and Duke games lately. By watching full games alternately, it's easy to see who is more talented. I am afraid the gap in-between is larger than that between Towns and other 2015 draftees.

In a good game of Ingram, vs Virginia, he is cooled downed when Brogdon, a 6-6 SG, is shifted on him. Defensively, he gets beaten by smaller drivers.

On the other hand, Simmons has a poor first half vs NC State. His only shot is an air ball. But you can see the presence even in a scoreless half.

The biggest difference between them is quickness. Strength or shooting can be trained, but reflex is born.

I felt sorry that we could not get #1 and Towns. Exactly the same feeling now and I wonder whether the Lakers will do the same thing against common expectation.

I've been watching Kyrie Irvin. actually based on 1 single game, last game vs GSW. lhe is cooled downed when XXX, a 6-6 SG, is shifted on him. Defensively, he gets beaten by smaller drivers. therefore Kyrie Irvin is a bust, just like B. Ingram will be

If you want to talk about Ingram comparing to Simmons, which is what I was talking about, watch some full games. You know, and I know, how wrong it is to base on one game. Watch games alternately and you will see the difference.

Last year, lots of people said Towns and Okafor were 1A and 1B. Nobody says that anymore. Do I mean Okafor or Ingram is a "bust"? No. I just think they are good but not superstar material.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
D’Angelo Russell feels he has something to prove next season
by Gary Kester - lakersoutsiders.com

The moment that the Los Angeles Lakers passed on Jahlil Okafor with the No. 2 pick in the 2015 NBA Draft for D’Angelo Russell, fans were both surprised and very excited to see what the future would hold for the former Ohio State Buckeye.

What ensued was a rollercoaster ride of a rookie season that saw its share of peaks and valleys. After beginning the season in the starting lineup, Byron Scott benched him and 2014 lottery pick Julius Randle due to the team’s poor performance, a move that irked a large portion of the fan base. Both would eventually earn their way back into the starting lineup, tallying some moments along the way that would trigger excitement from fans in regards to the future of this group.

Nights like leading the comeback in Sacramento with 27 points or his season-high 39 points against the Nets, knocking down a bevy of threes, including the game-sealing triple before pointing to his arm and letting everyone know that he has ice in his veins have fans beyond excited to see what type of player Russell will become. With those thrilling performances, came plenty of disappointing games as well, but Russell is working to make sure those become an irregularity.

Russell is currently in China with a group of NBA players celebrating the growth of basketball, working with people of all ages with things such as basketball camps and events. While he is having a blast over in Beijing, he made the trip under one condition: He wanted to ensure he could still work on his game.

The 20-year-old told Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times that he’s worked relentlessly on getting better.

“Every day. … Every day,” Russell said. “I actually said I wasn’t going to take this trip if I couldn’t. The only other place I’ve been to out of the country is Mexico, and China is my second place. So I didn’t want to go if I couldn’t get the time in the gym.”

Even before the trip, Russell’s work ethic has been evident. When asked about waking up at 5 a.m. in Los Angeles to start working out, Russell replied, “Oh yeah. I feel like I have something to prove, man. It’s a dedication thing.”

Continued....
Swagger levels are up. Love the fact he's communicating with our coach and working on his game.
Did DLO prove anything last season???????

Glad that he has started to embrace Kobe's work ethic

Just as JC is actually working on something that he has never done before (playing defense), hope that he is working on his basketball skills - not athletic skills.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject:

Why you shouldn’t worry about the Lakers Front Office
by Dillon Hiser - lakersoutsiders.com

For the purple and gold, bright spots in the last few seasons have been scarce. Hell, even with the superstar team in 2013 the expectations far exceeded the team’s results. But lets just chalk that one up to Dwight Howard.

In the summer of 2012, the Lakers made an array of blockbuster moves in order to continue contending in the rigid Western Conference. Trading for Steve Nash and Dwight Howard to pair alongside Kobe, Pau, and Metta was supposed to be the completion of a championship winning core. When the deals were made, it seemed like the team was well on its way to another NBA Finals appearance so the circumstances and possible downsides were far overlooked. In retrospect, the red flags were certainly there but the front office went full boom-or-bust. We all know how that ended.

In 2013, after his season ending Achilles injury Kobe Bryant and the Lakers reached a deal on a two-year contract extension worth $48.5 million. The response to that announcement wasn’t great, and rightfully so. Giving an aging star that much money without any knowledge of how things would play out was a questionable call to say the least. Since then, the team has hit home runs on almost all of their decisions.

Fast forward to the present. Within just three short years, the Lakers front office has been spot on in nearly every possible way and set the future of the team up beautifully. They have put together arguably the most young talent of any team in the league (with another top 2 pick on the way), have the most cap space available going into free agency, oh and they hired their top head coaching choice in Luke Walton.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers Statement on the Passing of Sean Rooks
by nba.com

The following statement was released today by Lakers President/Governor and co-owner Jeanie Buss regarding the death of former Lakers player Sean Rooks:

"We are shocked and terribly saddened by the news of the death of Sean Rooks. During his time with the Lakers he was a true professional and was a favorite among teammates, coaches and staff. Sean was a friendly guy that everyone loved having around. On behalf of the entire Lakers organization, I'd like to send our condolences as well as thoughts and prayers to his family."

Source

Last edited by lakersfreak on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Brandon Ingram Named To USA Select Team
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

This summer will be an extremely important one for the Los Angeles Lakers as they look to finally turn around the free-fall the franchise has been in for the last three years. Much of the focus has been on who the Lakers will bring in via the draft and free agency, with most believing the team will select Duke’s Brandon Ingram with the second overall pick. However, players already on the roster such as Julius Randle and D’Angelo Russell have a ton of potential and are poised to make huge leaps as well.

Both players have been working hard this summer with Russell saying that he has something to prove this year. Randle, likewise, has been in the gym constantly this off-season.

The Lakers’ practice facility isn’t the only place those guys will be working as the Lakers officially announced that Randle and Russell have been selected to the Team USA Select Team:

Lakers forward Julius Randle and guard D’Angelo Russell were chosen for the 2016 USA Men’s Select Team, it was announced today by USA Basketball. The Select Team, comprised of 25 players, will train July 18-21 with the 2016 USA Basketball Men’s National Team during its training camp in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Making things even more interesting is that they will be joined by their potential teammate, Ingram, as was pointed out by Lakers Nation’s Ryan Ward:

Potential #FutureLaker Brandon Ingram was also selected to the 2016 USA Men’s Select Team
10:24 AM - 7 Jun 2016

The opportunity to measure themselves against other top young NBA players such as C.J. McCollum, Devin Booker, and Jahlil Okafor should pay dividends for all three players. Likewise, assuming Ingram is indeed drafted by the Lakers, it gives him more time to become familiar and develop chemistry with Randle and Russell.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject:

How expectations will alter D'Angelo Russell's second season
by silverscreenandroll.com

Los Angeles' young point guard will obviously hope to improve on an already solid rookie campaign, but much of the advancement will be born of lowered expectations.

Perception is reality. The cliché has been uttered so many times at this point, the words seem to leap off the page with as much explosiveness as Roy Hibbert in the fourth quarter. No matter the phrase's pervasiveness, we seem to forget its unavoidable truth and are somehow surprised when our reality is once again warped. D'Angelo Russell's rookie season is no different, so what effect might be felt on next year?

Russell served as perception's victim last year, as a solid rookie season was seen as subpar by many. The campaign fell short of the expectations held by his draft status and that come with playing for the Los Angeles Lakers. Byron Scott (go ahead, roll your eyes -- here I am talking about Byron again) unleashed a narrative nationally of immaturity that probably held some truth, but also served to take attention away from Scott's own shortcomings as a coach. Anytime Russell came up in conversations swayed by Scott's media sessions, compliments were rarely anything more than backhanded, at best. The result: frustration, from all involved.

Russell will never enter a season devoid of expectation, but they can be somewhat lowered. Depending on the moves made around him and barring some kind of miracle, the Lakers will not sniff the playoffs next year. Expecting them to do so next year would be borderline -- no, actually -- ridiculous. Combine how many see Russell's rookie campaign with the direction this season will likely go in and the crop of youth surrounding him and the pieces are in place for what might be quite the sophomore season.

First and foremost, Russell is surrounded by guys in a similar situation.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson is confident in himself and his future with the Lakers
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Los Angeles' second round steal hopes to remain with the only pro team he's known long-term.

Many of the innumerable benefits of living in Southern California were on full display for anyone on the drive up to the Player's Edge Sports Complex in Corona, California on Tuesday morning. Sunny skies, shorts and t-shirt weather, great restaurants as clear as the eye can see. All that was missing was a beach.

Rather than enjoying any of those things, Jordan Clarkson was hanging out in a gym. It's familiar territory for the workaholic third-year guard, but this time was different than the majority of his trips there.

Clarkson looked out from the carpeted floor at the giggling and screaming groups of children divided up across four basketball courts partaking in various ball-handling, rebounding, shooting, and defensive drills with smiling and patient instructors. Among them was his father, Mike Clarkson, walking around from group to group offering individual instructions to several kids.

The scene was something Clarkson had dreamed about since deciding he wanted to play pro basketball, and the financial security he'll receive in the form of a max or near max contract will make plenty more camps like this possible. But while money, fame, and living in Southern California are all great, none of them are the main reason Clarkson hopes the aforementioned contract he'll sign this summer comes from the Los Angeles Lakers.

The real reason is he has unfinished business.

"Being here, them giving me the opportunity by drafting me at 46[th overall] and us having those two bad seasons, I definitely want to be around when stuff changes and we get to winning again," Clarkson told Silver Screen and Roll during an interview at his JC6 Nike Basketball Camp. "I've just had a good experience here, so I wouldn't want to leave and experience anything else."

Clarkson's wish is likely to be granted, his status as an "Arenas Rule" restricted free agent limits the money other teams can offer him while giving the Lakers the right to match. It's a right they are all but sure to exercise.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson On Free Agency, Luke Walton & Lakers Future
by lakersnation.com

Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson catches up with us about what he's been up to this summer, NBA free agency, new head coach Luke Walton, the draft and the Lakers future.

Video
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject:

Phil Jackson Claims Shaq Once Came to Practice ‘Nude With Just His Shoes On’
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

Yes, you read that correctly. According to Lakers’ former head coach, Phil Jackson, Shaquille O’Neal had an interesting way of cracking up his teammates while in Los Angeles

Just last week, ex-Lakers’ big man, Shaquille O’Neal starred in a hilarious ad for Lyft posing as an undercover driver for unsuspecting customers, but now he’s back in the news for another reason entirely.

According to USA Today Sports, while in New York at an American Express event, Shaq and the Zen Master caught up with ESPN’s Hannah Storm “to open up about how champions are made in the NBA and how the Lakers became a dynasty again in the 2000s.”

However, the interview quickly took a turn for the better, or the worse depending on how you look at it, when “Storm asked Jackson how O’Neal’s fun-loving personality translated on the court.”

Well, you know, numbers of times, he could crack a team up with humorous effects on the floor. There were times when he shocked us all in a practice situation, especially when he showed up nude with just his shoes on.

After reading the short article, I had to do a double take, checking the internet for it’s validity but writer Charles Curtis seemed to presume this would happen, including another incident of Shaq’s nudist pranks as proof.

Apparently, while O’Neal was playing for the Phoenix Suns, he would do the same thing.

Continued....
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

There are a lot of people here at LG that should read this article. I am appalled at how often everyone wants an overhaul of the front office. This article spells out exactly why this front office, especially Mitch Kupchak, deserves a lot more respect and a much longer leash. It deserves it's own thread and should be stickied. In fact, it should be required reading! Make it the next page after someone signs in!
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

There are a lot of people here at LG that should read this article. I am appalled at how often everyone wants an overhaul of the front office. This article spells out exactly why this front office, especially Mitch Kupchak, deserves a lot more respect and a much longer leash. It deserves it's own thread and should be stickied. In fact, it should be required reading! Make it the next page after someone signs in!

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject:

Breaking Down Brandon Ingram
by lakersoutsiders.com

Since the moment the Lakers landed the No. 2 spot in the NBA Draft, the arguments have been endless in regards to who the more preferred prospect may be.

Need vs. Talent

Best Fit vs. Best Player Available

Brandon Ingram vs. Ben Simmons

While the Lakers won’t directly face this conundrum in the 2016 NBA Draft, the Philadelphia 76ers will and their decision will also determine the Lakers’ decision.

When looking at the Lakers, their two most glaring holes are at center and small forward. Last season, the Lakers’ top three three-pointer shooters were D’Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson and Lou Williams, all guards.

Nick Young and Metta World Peace, who saw most of their minutes at small forward last year, come third and fourth, respectively, but neither eclipsed 33 percent on their three-point percentage. Even more, chances are neither will be on the Lakers’ roster next season, either.

As a team, the Lakers were dead last in the NBA in three-point percentage.

Defensively, no one on the Lakers established themselves last season and especially not the Laker small forwards, whether it be Kobe Bryant, Young or World Peace.

Conveniently enough for the Lakers, one of the best players in the draft is a small forward that has drawn comparisons to the likes of Kevin Durant and Tayshaun Prince.

Brandon Ingram could step into the Lakers’ young core and plug one really big whole with his really big frame.

Is he more talented than Ben Simmons? In my opinion, no. Is he a better fit on the Lakers? Unequivocally yes. When watching Ingram, you see a player with a polished offensive game and a surprisingly adept defensive approach.

The freshman came on as the season went, eventually moving to the top of big boards by the end of the season. As the season progressed, Ingram grew more comfortable within himself and within his teammates, shining bright in the NCAA Tournament and solidifying his spot amongst many big boards.

It’s valid to consider Ingram the best player in the draft when he can do this:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject:

Here's every player we know the Lakers have worked out

Everything you need to know about the pre-draft process.

The Los Angeles Lakers front office has been nothing if not thorough in the preparation for the 2016 NBA Draft. With the second and 32nd overall picks in the draft, the team has worked out a huge range of players for both spots as well as doing the necessary research for undrafted free agency.

With the draft not set to take place until June 23rd, the Lakers still have two more weeks to decide who they are going to pick, meaning plenty more workouts will take place from now until then. That's a lot of players going in and out, and unfortunately not everyone can spend all day on Twitter, or look around elsewhere for the latest draft news.

With this in mind, we at Silver Screen and Roll decided to put together this updating list of every pre-draft workout or interview the Lakers have done (or at least all of the ones that have leaked) so fans can stay up to date on who the team is making themselves familiar with.in the lead up to the 2016 NBA Draft.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

Why Patience Could Pay Off For The Lakers In Free Agency
by Trevor Lane - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers are heading into the summer heat feeling the pressure of turning their massive ship around. Last season saw them win a franchise-worst 17 games, which currently serves as rock-bottom for a team that has 16 NBA titles hanging in the rafters along with the jerseys of a number of all-time greats.

Still, in spite of the hard times that have befallen the most popular franchise in the league, there is an air of optimism around the Lakers. Star guard Kobe Bryant had the greatest send-off game possibly in the history of sports, notching 60 points in his final performance as a professional.

Much-maligned head coach Byron Scott’s option was not picked up, and the Lakers swiftly landed a replacement in Luke Walton, who is considered to be one of the top young minds in basketball.

To top it all off, Los Angeles was fortunate enough to retain their top-three protected pick in the NBA draft lottery, finishing with the second selection in what is considered by many to be a two-player draft.

All of those things certainly help to ease the pain of a third consecutive disastrous season, but whether or not the Lakers can get back to their winning ways will largely be determined by how successful they are at wooing free agents in July.

Unfortunately, thanks to a combination of issues, it appears as though the deck is stacked against them.

It’s true that the Lakers will have more money to spend in free agency than any other team in the league, with noted capologist Eric Pincus projecting them to have $64.4 million available. Qualifying offers to restricted free agents like Jordan Clarkson, Tarik Black, and Marcelo Huertas could cut into that figure a bit, but the bottom line is that the Lakers are poised to make it rain on free agents this year.

But maybe they shouldn’t.

This free agent class isn’t exactly bursting with franchise-altering stars. There are good players, certainly, but for a Lakers team that needs a Shaquille O’Neal-level signing, landing an Elden Campbell isn’t quite going to cut it.

Looking at the available free agents, we can identify tiers of players who will be available:

Continued....
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
Is he going to give it 110 percent too? One game at a time? Play with a sense of urgency. Ugh. Byron has infected him verbally now.

He's going to man up. The season starts tomorrow, and if they lose again then the season will start the next day.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram has pre-draft workout with Lakers
by Mark Medina - ocregister.com

So many arrive in Southern California determined to slim down to look more presentable at the beach. Duke forward Brandon Ingram showed up this week hoping he bulks up.

He dined with the Lakers’ coaching staff on Wednesday night doing something most only wish they could do.

“Just eat everything I can,” Ingram said. “At my weight, I can eat anything. I don’t have a certain diet.”

Two weeks before his basketball future is determined at the NBA draft, Ingram worked out with the Lakers in a private session Thursday and is considered the player they are most likely to take with the No. 2 pick because they value his versatility, defense and selfless play. The biggest question mark about Ingram involves his skinny frame and whether it can withstand the physical rigors of the NBA’s 82-game regular season.

Ingram said he has gone from 169 pounds to 195 pounds within the last year by eating anything he wants. The Lakers handed out a biographical sheet of Ingram that listed him at 6-foot-9 and 190 pounds.

“It’s going to be a long process, of course,” said Ingram, who hopes to add 10 to 15 more pounds. “But at the end of the day, it’s basketball. That’s what I’ve been doing my whole life, trying to score the ball and trying to defend. I know everybody in the NBA develops their body each summer. I try to do the same thing.”

Ingram’s closed workout at the Lakers’ practice facility did not involve any other college prospects. Although new coach Luke Walton is still working for the Golden State Warriors, Ingram went through drills for General Manager Mitch Kupchak’s front office and the basketball development staff. He completed a series of one-on-one and two-on-two drills with development coaches Thomas Scott and J.J. Outlaw, hoping to prove he can finish well at the rim. Ingram’s two-hour workout also involved assorted shooting drills.

“I’m trying to get stronger,” said Ingram, who said he’s spending more time in the weight room. “It’s coming naturally. But I’m trying to build everything I can before I get to the next level.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram discusses Lakers workout
by Ryan Kelapire - lakersoutsiders.com

The Los Angeles Lakers, owners of the second overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, worked out a prospect that more than likely will be a major part of the team’s future moving forward on Thursday afternoon. And that prospect was Duke product Brandon Ingram.

Though many consider Ingram to be the top prospect in the draft, reports have widely suggested the Sixers are leaning towards selecting LSU’s Ben Simmons over Ingram with the first pick, allowing Ingram to fall into the Lakers’ lap.

Ingram, a 6-foot-9, 195 pound small forward, talked to the media afterwards, and here were some of the notable quotes that transpired during the media session. First, Ingram said he wants to gain at least 10-15 pounds this summer, which is an easy goal to understand, because of how rail-thin he is. Gaining weight will not only allow him to have an easier time making an instant impact in the league , but it’ll also allow him to play multiple positions — especially the 3 and the 4 — without constantly being outmuscled.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram After His Lakers Pre-Draft Workout (VIDEO)
by Serena Winters - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers privately worked out Duke forward Brandon Ingram on Thursday afternoon, after taking him out to dinner on Wednesday evening. It’s widely believed that the Philadelphia 76ers will select LSU’s Ben Simmons with their No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, leaving Ingram for the Lakers with the second pick.

Despite a bit of a slow start to his freshman season, Ingram’s draft stock quickly rose under Coach K at Duke University, averaging 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.4 blocked shots, 1.1 steals and 34.6 minutes per game in his lone season playing for the Blue Devils. He was the consensus ACC Freshman of the Year as well as AP All-American Honorable Mention.

The Lakers did open up Ingram’s private workout to the media for interviews in the afternoon. Watch Ingram’s media session above or read the transcription below.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject:

Brian Shaw attends Brandon Ingram's pre-draft workout

Looks like Los Angeles has brought in their first new assistant.

When we last received an update on whether or not Brian Shaw would be joining new Los Angeles Lakers head coach Luke Walton's assistant coaching staff, Shaw said he and the team were "just finalizing the last details of the contract."

It would appear that the two sides are either very close or have agreed to terms, because Shaw attended the team's pre-draft workout of Duke forward Brandon Ingram, according to Brad Turner of the L.A. Times. While we don't know exactly what Shaw did there, he was reportedly intended to be a "proxy" for Walton at the team's workouts while the latter finishes the season with the Golden State Warriors.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

Jim Buss or Jim Bust? Examining the recovery of the Lakers
by Drew Hernandez - lakersoutsiders.com

Do you remember how you felt about the latest movie that came out, or maybe the newest album or video game? Most people would have some form of opinion on it.

Some will like it and some would dislike it. And some people will love it and some will hate it. The idea of forming a strong opinion goes for basically everything in life, as some people will like and dislike certain events, laws, and ideas. But this is especially true for sports.

Strong opinions have been the soup du jour now for years when it comes to sports. Most L.A. teams have a big fanbase, so plenty of opinions are being thrown around concerning them.

In the world of professional sports the term hot take is a used for describing strong opinions that are usually extreme. With the Lakers being the most successful franchise in Los Angeles, hot takes are a dime a dozen. Many of these hot takes concerning the Lakers are calling for Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss to be fired, as some blame them for the Lakers’ extreme downfall from being champions 6 years ago to being in contention for high lottery picks in the last 3 years.

But is it really their fault? Can you blame them for Mike Brown being ineffective early on in 2012, for Dwight Howard leaving, for Steve Nash breaking his leg and having multiple injuries, and for Kobe Bryant, who is known for being healthy, tearing his Achilles? Before the 2013 season they were expected to rival the Miami Heat, who were arguably one of the greatest teams in NBA history. They were being called a super team, and you can’t blame them for doing what 29 other franchises would do if in their place, which was trying to win Kobe one last ring.

Many can point out that a downfall was inevitable, and that is true. They mortgaged future draft picks in getting Nash and Howard and one of those picks could go to the Sixers next year if it falls outside of the top 3. Though that doesn’t mean Mitch and Jim have the Lakers in a bad spot. Quite the contrary is true, in fact.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson drawing interest from New York Knicks
by Keith Rivas - lasportshub.com

The latest Lakers rumors report interest in Jordan Clarkson coming from the New York Knicks.

While the young Lakers star has expressed that he wishes to remain in Los Angeles for the long term, CBS Sports reported on Thursday that the New York Knicks aren’t ready to give up on him going elsewhere just yet.

Jordan Clarkson is a free agent this off-season, and could get quite the look from the Big Apple before next year’s activities begin.

The pursuit of Clarkson is to reportedly fill the void at point guard that New York has at the moment, with Memphis’ Mike Conley also in the conversation.

With Los Angeles, Clarkson had a strong rookie season as he averaged 12 points, three boards, and one steal per contest.

In his sophomore campaign, Clarkson saw much more time on the floor, averaging over 30 minutes of playing time, and increased his scoring and rebounding averages to 15 and four, respectively.

Conley was rumored to be one of the points of interest for the Lakers this off-season, but those rumors don’t seem to be holding water.

Clarkson’s free agency is restricted, which means that whatever New York tried throwing his way in terms of money and contract talk is something that Los Angeles would have the opportunity to match in order to keep him around.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject:

Draft prospects Jaylen Brown, Skal Labissiere work out with Lakers
by Jovan Buha - espn.go.com

Neither Jaylen Brown nor Skal Labissiere will likely be selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the No. 2 overall pick in the NBA draft on June 23.

The Lakers will almost certainly pick whoever the Philadelphia 76ers pass on with the first overall pick between Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. Meanwhile, Brown and Labissiere are projected lottery picks in the No. 5 to No. 13 range, according to ESPN's Chad Ford.

Even so, Brown and Labissiere each participated in private workouts with the Lakers at the team's training facility Friday morning, and both walked away feeling grateful and in awe of the opportunity to work out for one of the NBA's iconic franchises.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

Lazenby on Kobe Book, Today’s NBA
by Jarari Davis - basketballinsiders.com

Roland Lazenby is an author and basketball historian who has been around the game, writing about the NBA and sports in general, for the better part of four decades. Lazenby, a longtime close personal friend of legendary coach Tex Winter, spent time detailing the exploits of the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls as well as dissecting the Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal-powered Los Angeles Lakers that dominated the early 2000s.

He recently joined the Triple Threat Podcast to discuss his upcoming book about Bryant. While bound to an understandable secrecy agreement with his publishing house (Little Brown), Lazenby was able to describe the project as a 600-page journey through Kobe Bryant’s life and the path his basketball career took. Outside of his most recent book (Michael Jordan: The Life), Lazenby has also written a biography on former Laker Jerry West and taken in-depth looks at the life and career of both Phil Jackson (while he was coaching the Bulls) and even a young Bryant.

He also acknowledged that the book does spend some time focusing on the life of Bryant’s father Joe “Jellybean” Bryant as an NBA player and the parallels Lazenby described as “a pretty compelling story about Kobe being the force of nature” that he has been, and how their two stories are interlinked in the obvious father/son ways and beyond.

When asked whether the book would detail the reported issues and strained relationships that appear to exist within the Bryant family – as it seemed peculiar when neither his parents nor his sisters were visible during his final NBA season and along one of the more celebrated farewell tours in recent history – Lazenby assured an explanation of the basic nature of the conflict, but made it clear the background was added for perspective and context rather than attempting to “rub anyone’s nose in it.” He describes them as an “extraordinary family,” and was quick to remind that every family has their issues.

Continued....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: