News 'n Views - June 2016: Lakers prepared for another summer of rejection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerswaves
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: D’Angelo Russell is excited to play basketball again

D’Angelo Russell is excited to play basketball again

After a tumultuous rookie season, D’Angelo Russell seems to have found happiness and excitement to play basketball again. Russell had one of the most unfavorable rookie seasons a lottery player can have. He played under a coach that failed to use him properly. He was involved in an off-court drama that clearly affected his relationship with his teammates. His name was constantly surrounded by trade talks. At times, Russell didn’t seem happy playing the sport he loves, but on Tuesday afternoon, he was like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to see his new prize.

On Monday night, Russell tweeted out this about his new coach:

Although it was simple and short, you could feel Russell’s excitement toward a coach that you couldn’t find with his time playing under Byron Scott. And if that tweet wasn’t a clear indicator that Russell already loves Luke Walton, his interview with the media sure amplified that love.

continued
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

How to watch the 2016 NBA Draft - Channel, time, location, and more
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

The big day is here.

The 2016 NBA Draft will take place on Thursday, and here is a quick FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) guide to how all Lakers fans can stay connected on the biggest day of the team's offseason (so far).

When is the draft?

The draft will take place on June, 23rd and coverage will begin at 7 p.m. EST, 4 p.m. PST.

What channel can I watch it on?

You can watch on ESPN or Watch ESPN, with Lakers specific coverage on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet at 6 p.m. PST. Yahoo's "The Vertical" will also have a draft show streaming on their website.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:

Lakers draft preview: Brandon Ingram says he's prepared to separate himself in the NBA

The player Los Angeles seems certain to select gave some insight into his views on his own game's fit in the modern NBA the day before the draft.

The bright lights of Los Angeles have consumed more than a few small town natives with big dreams, but Brandon Ingram isn't planning on joining their ranks. The 18-year old small forward from Duke the Lakers are all but assured to select with the second overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft on Thursday knows he'll have to be exceptional to succeed in the NBA.

Not to worry, he says growing up in the small town of Kinston, North Carolina prepared him to do just that.

"[Kinston is] kind of a tough city to live in," Ingram told assembled reporters a day before the draft. "A city where you have to separate yourself to succeed in life."

Ingram seems to have separated himself from almost his entire draft class quite well but, while he acknowledges he's heard rumors, Ingram says he has no promises of going anywhere when Adam Silver starts calling players names on Thursday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

That uncertainty would make a lot of people nervous, but Ingram says he's not worried about where he ends up, and that he'll work as hard as possible to prove to any team that drafts him that they made the right call.

"Getting drafted alone is great itself," said Ingram. "So 1,2,3, I'll be happy."

In the exceedingly likely event they do draft Ingram, the Lakers will be happy as well. The versatile 6'9 forward with a 7'3 wingspan projects as a perfect fit with the team's young core of Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, D'Angelo Russell, and Larry Nance, Jr.

That's a big plus in the "pros" column when evaluating how good of a pick he'll be for the Lakers, but Ingram's combination of shooting and defensive potential would prove a snug fit for just about any NBA team, and he's noticed how well his game will translate to the modern NBA.

"You see so many guys playing different positions, and I think I have that ability going into the NBA," said Ingram. "Of course it's a process, but going in with a scoring ability and as I get stronger the ability to defend the fours and the fives, I think it's a great transition for me."

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the 1996 Draft Class
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

All of the hype currently surrounds the Lakers and what they will do with their two draft picks, but don’t forget about great ones selected 20 years before them

June 26, 2016 will mark the 20th anniversary of what is often considered the greatest draft class in NBA history, though the players drafted in 1984 and 2003 would likely have something to say about that.

Headlined at the time by Allen Iverson, Marcus Camby and Shareef Abdur-Rahim, the draft also featured All-Stars Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Stephon Marbury, Antoine Walker, Jermaine O’Neal and two time MVP, Steve Nash.

In a recent article for The Players Tribune, the third overall pick, Shareef Abdur-Rahim documented all of the behind the scenes information fans wish they could’ve been a part of but weren’t able to be until recently on account of the intense coverage of all things draft related.

From missing the official draft class picture, to not having enough room at the table for his little brothers, to what he did immediately after being drafted, his insight is yet another reason why TPT is so beloved.

In specific regards to the Lakers, the biggest revelation was about a phone call he received from the “GM of an Eastern Conference team picking in the top 10,” assumed to be the New Jersey Nets.

Before I left my room, though, I had to stop that annoying blinking light, so I checked my messages. To my surprise the message was not for me, it was for Kobe. Somehow my room number and his must have gotten mixed up….

The voice on the message was the GM of an Eastern Conference team picking in the top 10. The voice said, “Kobe, I know you don’t want us to take you, but we think you’re our guy and we’re going to take you.”

Abdur-Rahim followed this up by saying,

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

Carmelo Anthony Pays Respect To Lakers Legend Kobe Bryant On Twitter
by Maximo Gonzales - lakersnation.com

With the 2015-16 NBA season officially in the books, the time has come to reflect on what a truly historic year. From the Golden State Warriors breaking a seemingly impossible record to the Cavaliers bringing the city of Cleveland a championship for the first time since 1964.

However, despite these incredible feats, this season just might be most remembered as the year Kobe Bryant walked away from the game of basketball. Bryant capped off his magical 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers with a show-stopping 60-point performance leaving fans and fellow players alike in awe. Although he’s gone from the NBA, Kobe still seems to be on players’ minds. Just ask New York Knicks’ forward Carmelo Anthony who showed the five-time NBA champion some love on Twitter.

Respect the legends that changed the game forever @KobeBryant #Legendary pic.twitter.com/U2ypkMJ0X0

— Carmelo Anthony (@carmeloanthony) June 21, 2016

Kobe Bryant and Carmelo have always shared a close relationship as competitors on the court while being a pair savvy businessmen off of it. Many might remember the two battling in the Western Conference playoffs during Melo’s days as a Denver Nugget, where Kobe said he had earned his respect. They eventually became teammates on Team USA during the Olympics in Beijing and London, where they took home a pair of gold medals.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

LeBron James Enrolls Children In California School

by David Hookstead - dailycaller.com

LeBron James has reportedly enrolled his children in a California school.

The three-time NBA champion recently said he wasn’t leaving leaving Cleveland, but now he is apparently taking his kids to Brentwood, California, according to Terez Owens.

If the report is true then it is most certainly a sign that James is thinking about playing for the Lakers, or at the very least wants Cavaliers management to believe he might.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:

How Luke Walton made his rapid rise to become coach of the Lakers
by Henry Bushnell - sports.yahoo.com

The year was 2010, and Luke Walton's back was ailing. As the missed games piled up, and February droned on into March, Walton started feeling down.

"A little on the depressed side," Walton recalled.

That's when Lakers coach Phil Jackson called Walton, in his seventh year with the team, into Walton's first coaches meeting.

"It was interesting," Walton said Tuesday. "I enjoyed it. I wasn't making decisions. I was just sitting there, watching, seeing that side of it. As a player, you have no idea what all goes into the preparation and the breakfast meetings and making these decisions.

"That's kinda when it really started. Phil told me the story about how he got started [coaching] with an injury, and his old coach had him hang around, so it triggered some thoughts in my head."

A mere six years later, a 36-year-old Walton waited patiently on Tuesday as Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchack, who drafted Walton back in 2003, introduced him as the franchise's new head coach. To call the last few months for Walton "hectic" might be unfair, but to call the process that brought him to the Lakers "accelerated" would be an understatement.
Fewer than 48 hours ago, Walton, a Golden State Warriors assistant, barely had enough time to exchange hugs with fellow staffers. They doubled as goodbye hugs, but they also were consolatory, fresh off the Warriors' NBA Finals heartbreak.

The following morning, with the NBA draft just three days away, Walton ducked into a car and sped south, bound for Los Angeles, his Bay Area home still full of his belongings. "At some point, I have to go back up there to pack up the house," Walton admitted.

Things have been moving quickly for Walton for a while. Only a day separated his initial interview with Lakers brass, the job offer and Walton accepting it.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

Brian Shaw to try to become conduit for players, Luke Walton
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The words sounded pleasant to D’Angelo Russell’s ears as Lakers coach Luke Walton spoke about incorporating an up-tempo offense. Russell’s eyes lit up when Walton explained how creating a fun atmosphere can make the development process both more joyful and productive.

As Russell watched Walton’s introductory press conference with intense interest on Tuesday at the Lakers’ practice facility in El Segundo, the Lakers’ second-year guard showed his affection for the team’s new direction in another way. Russell stood close to Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw. Russell then often made several undisclosed observations to Shaw, while Walton outlined his vision for bolstering the Lakers after finishing with their worst record in franchise history in consecutive seasons under Byron Scott.

Shaw did not detail what those conversations entailed. But it illustrated the potential of Russell and perhaps his other young teammates forming a close bond with Russell.

“What you do is you try to keep the problems or anything going on away from the head coach,” Shaw told Southern California News Group. “Then he can concentrate on coaching. You intercept a lot of things in place and try to keep things in order. When Luke needs to say what he needs to say and does he needs to do, everything goes smoothly.”

Continued....
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
How to watch the 2016 NBA Draft - Channel, time, location, and more

Should the Lakers take Buddy Hield second overall?

No.

Full Article

I love the way this article ends!
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Brian Shaw to try to become conduit for players, Luke Walton
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The words sounded pleasant to D’Angelo Russell’s ears as Lakers coach Luke Walton spoke about incorporating an up-tempo offense. Russell’s eyes lit up when Walton explained how creating a fun atmosphere can make the development process both more joyful and productive.

As Russell watched Walton’s introductory press conference with intense interest on Tuesday at the Lakers’ practice facility in El Segundo, the Lakers’ second-year guard showed his affection for the team’s new direction in another way. Russell stood close to Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw. Russell then often made several undisclosed observations to Shaw, while Walton outlined his vision for bolstering the Lakers after finishing with their worst record in franchise history in consecutive seasons under Byron Scott.

Shaw did not detail what those conversations entailed. But it illustrated the potential of Russell and perhaps his other young teammates forming a close bond with Russell.

“What you do is you try to keep the problems or anything going on away from the head coach,” Shaw told Southern California News Group. “Then he can concentrate on coaching. You intercept a lot of things in place and try to keep things in order. When Luke needs to say what he needs to say and does he needs to do, everything goes smoothly.”

Continued....

I like Shaw I think he's another one of the coaches that got shafted in Denver with poor personnel. I think Walton is going to need his help and experience quite a bit through the season.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

The three-time NBA champion recently said he wasn’t leaving leaving Cleveland, but now he is apparently taking his kids to Brentwood, California, according to Terez Owens.

If the report is true then it is most certainly a sign that James is thinking about playing for the Lakers, or at the very least wants Cavaliers management to believe he might.

Continued....

lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Draft Brandon Ingram with No. 2 Pick
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

The Lakers’ young core has officially grown by one key piece, as Los Angeles selected Brandon Ingram with the second-overall pick at the 2016 NBA Draft on Thursday.

The 6-foot-9 small forward averaged 17.3 points in his only year at Duke, tying Jahlil Okafor for the third-most by a freshman in program history. He also ranked sixth in his conference, which earned him honors of ACC Rookie of the Year and Second Team All-ACC.

With a 7-foot-3 wingspan that may have expanded since being measured in 2015, Ingram’s length helps him stand out on both sides of the floor.

Paired with a sweet shooting motion, his frame helped him hit 44.2 percent from the field and 41.0 percent on 3-pointers with the Blue Devils. He topped 20 points 14 times, which bolstered Duke, as it won on a dozen of those occasions.

Ingram — who is also hailed as an underrated passer — put his scoring on display at the NCAA Tournament, where he averaged 23.0 points on a 45.1 percent clip against North Carolina-Wilmington, Yale and Oregon.

On the other end, his size made him a plus defender in college, capable of swallowing up opposing wings or swatting shots like he did with six blocks against Virginia Tech on Jan. 9.

Like a pair of his new teammates, Julius Randle and D’Angelo Russell, Ingram was selected to serve on the USA Select Team this summer, which will help the U.S. National Team prepare for the 2016 Olympics.

Prior to his stint with Duke, Ingram helped Kinston High capture the North Carolina State Championship in all four years, becoming the first player to ever do so. For his efforts, he was named a McDonald’s All-American and Parade All-American, while ESPN ranked him as the No. 3 recruit in the country.

Ingram joins Jerry West, Dave Meyers and Russell among the No. 2 picks in franchise history. Hall of Famers Magic Johnson and James Worthy were also chosen by L.A. in the top two.

The Philadelphia 76ers selected LSU forward Ben Simmons with the only pick before Ingram.

Source
CHAMP24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

As I have been telling people. IF this is true, he is coming to LA. Do you really think he would be separated from his kids like that, given his father wasn't around? I know I couldn't play in one city and have my young kids, especially boys, in another. Couldn't do it.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram says his goal is to win Rookie of the Year

Los Angeles' precocious pick also says he's excited to join the team's young core and play for his new head coach.

When the Los Angeles Lakers selected Brandon Ingram with the second overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, it was the most thrilling moment of a promising offseason for the purple and gold, but it wasn't the only one of the team's moves to make fans around Los Angeles giddy. That honor goes to the hiring of Luke Walton as the team's new head coach, a development that has Ingram excited as well.

"Am I ready to play for coach Walton?" Ingram asked himself, repeating a question a fan asked him on Twitter. "Most definitely."

The feeling is mutual.

"He's the player I wanted in the draft," said Walton, when asked if he thought Ingram would be the best player in his draft class. "I don't know if he's the best or not, but he's the player I wanted for sure."

Walton may not have been willing to put public pressure on his youngest player to be the greatest of his class, but Ingram didn't shy away from such expectations.

"[My goal is to] be the best basketball player that I can be, and also win Rookie of the Year," said Ingram. "Just try to get my teammates involved and be the best player that I can be each and every day.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton compares Lakers' top pick Brandon Ingram to Draymond Green
by foxsports.com

New Lakers coach Luke Walton is inheriting a 17-65 team, and while Walton won't have the type of talent he coached on the Warriors, he will have the last two players selected No. 2 overall in the draft, D'Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram.

Russell hasn't drawn any comparisons to Stephen Curry, but Ingram, the Lakers' top pick Thursday night, reminds Walton of Draymond Green with his defensive instincts.

"We didn't coach him how to be such a phenomenal team defender," Walton said of Green. "He just was, because he sees the game like that. It means that the player is pretty intelligent, and I think that Brandon fits that mold."

Ingram's teenage frame is remarkably skinny, but the Lakers still think he can shoulder the burden of being a franchise cornerstone.

"It feels great," Ingram said. "I just know going to this organization, I'll have to work extra hard to be with those guys, and just come up and be the best we can be."

The 6-foot-9, 190-pound Ingram spent one season at Duke, averaging 17.3 points and 6.8 rebounds as the ACC's freshman of the year. Pro scouts were tantalized by his 41 percent shooting on 3-pointers, and his thin build only heightened the comparisons to Kevin Durant.

After the 76ers chose big man Ben Simmons with the top pick, the Lakers eagerly grabbed Ingram as they rebuild from Kobe Bryant's retirement and the worst season in franchise history.

"We're ecstatic to have him," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "There is no ceiling on him. To date, he's had a pretty good career in a pretty good conference for a one-year player."

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject:

All of the Brandon Ingram videos you need
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

Come to our small temple for Brandon Ingram. Get familiar!

Brandon Ingram is the newest member of the Los Angeles Lakers, going No. 2 to the purple and gold. This draft was considered a two-player draft at the top, with the Philadelphia 76ers taking Ben Simmons with the first-overall pick.

So who is this Ingram kid on his way to the Lakers? He's a 6'9, 195 lb. forward with a 7'3 wingspan which makes him a lanky monster in the wings. Ingram's a well-rounded shooter who has the foundations of a mid-range game, solid footwork, a smooth three-point stroke and is an able finisher at the rim. He also profiles to be a dynamic defender, caging up his man with his wingspan and athleticism.

Less talking, more watching, though. As always, a big thank you to the fine folks at DraftExpress for always having some of the best draft video content in the world.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject:

Lakers second round pick Ivica Zubac might be their (literal) biggest fan

Zubac bleeds purple and gold.

Most of the headlines and hype surrounding players the Los Angeles Lakers selected in the 2016 NBA Draft will (justifiably) go to Brandon Ingram, the perfectly fit the team picked second overall who continues to say all the right things.

Somewhat lost in the shuffle will be the player the front office spent the 32nd overall pick on, Ivica Zubac, a 19-year old center out of Croatia. But while he may be relatively anonymous to most Lakers fans until-- and if --he catches their attention with his play, Zubac certainly did his best to endear himself to the fanbase of the team, which he actually considers himself a member of.

While some prospects seem to just have talking points from their agents to say about what it means to be drafted by the Lakers, Zubac's conference with the local media following his selection made it clear that the 7'1, 265 pound center may be literally the world's biggest Lakers fan:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:

Kupchak Reflects On 2016 Draft
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

General Manager Mitch Kupchak came out of the 2016 NBA Draft having secured Brandon Ingram with the second-overall pick and Ivica Zubac with the 32nd.

Afterward, he met with the Los Angeles media to discuss the two new Lakers along with the draft process and immediate future.

Below is a transcription from the Lakers' practice facility in El Segundo.

Q: On his thoughts about 32nd pick Ivica Zubac:
Kupchak:
We saw a young, big, developing player. When I was over there this year back in January or February, I watched him. He’s young and he’s big and he’s got skills. He did remind me of NBA players that, in this league, have made it. But he is a young player. So if he continues to work hard and develop, he has a chance to stick in this league and be a good player. But our knowledge of the European players is clearly not what it is to our knowledge of players in this country. We don’t see them as often and they play a different game: Fewer number of games, and in Europe the young players don’t play much. A lot of times the coaches over there will play the veteran players and the young players will hardly play at all, so you have to go to practice to scout a player who’s 19 years old. So you don’t get the same body of work to examine as you would in this country. It makes it a little more difficult, so you do rely on your international scout a little bit more than you would a domestic scout.

Q: On if Zubac will be on the Lakers’ roster next season:
Kupchak:
I believe he would like to play next year and we wouldn’t be opposed to that.

Q: On the potential for Zubac to join their D-League affiliate, the Los Angeles D-Fenders:
Kupchak:
Right now, the D-Fenders really aren’t in the equation in terms of this pick. It’s not something that was discussed. We hope to get him over to play in Summer League. We don’t know if that’s something we can do yet. As I mentioned, it’s not quite as easy with the European guys; logistics and contracts. I do believe he is under an existing contract, but he does have an NBA out. So can those kinds of things be addressed in the next 10 days? I’m not sure. But we would like to bring him over and get him to play in Summer League if that’s possible.

Q: On how much interest they showed Zubac:
Kupchak:
We were in contact with all the representatives. There’s always an indication of who you like and who you don’t like. Certainly, his representative knew from the get-go that he’s a player that we liked. … I don’t know how that (interest) is translated to the player, but certainly going into the pick there was, from their point of view, an understanding that: “Hey, the Lakers might take you if you’re there.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject:

2016 Draft Day Videos
by lakersnation.com

Lakers Draft Brandon Ingram With No. 2 Pick In 2016 NBA Draft

Mitch Kupchak On Brandon Ingram, No. 2 Pick Trade Talks

Brandon Ingram's First Interview As A Laker (Audio)

Lakers Draft Ivica Zubac With 32nd Pick

Ivica Zubac's First Phone Interview As A Laker
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Kupchak says “we have more to sell” in free agency
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

The Lakers’ 16 NBA championship trophies, the sunny skies and proximity to Hollywood once represented the only visual selling points they needed to land their next star.

But then something happened. The Lakers missed the playoffs for the past three seasons because of rosters that both lacked health and talent. The current labor deal has imposed more stringent spending limitations. It no longer has become necessary to latch onto the Lakers’ global brand in order for a star to maximize theirs.

So, the Lakers struggled to retain their own star free agents, including Dwight Howard (2013) and Pau Gasol (2014). The Lakers also could not attract stars from other teams, including LeBron James (2014), Carmelo Anthony (2014), LaMarcus Aldridge (2015), DeAndre Jordan (2015) and Greg Monroe (2015).

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak conceded things “might not be different” when free agency begins on July 1. After all, the Lakers finished the 2016-17 season with its worst record in franchise history (17-65). Yet, Kupchak argued that the Lakers “have more to sell.”

“Our asset allotment is better,” Kupchak said. “Our circumstances are better.”

The Lakers have a young developing roster in point guard D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr. and Anthony Brown. They just selected Brandon Ingram with the No. 2 pick. They just hired a young up-and-coming coach in Luke Walton. They also have about $60 million to spend partly because of Kobe Bryant’s retirement following a storied 20-year NBA career.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Kupchak On Lakers Free Agency & Altering Pitch
by lakersnation.com

VIDEO
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject:

The Lakers stuck to the script and it's finally paying off
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Lakers have been working on a script over the last three years and we're witnessing it all play out to perfection.

The Los Angeles Lakers have made a handful of decisions since moving on from the embarrassment that was their 17-win season under Byron Scott and none of it has been a surprise. They hired a coach that seemed destined to join the franchise in Luke Walton, drafted player 1B in what was considered a two-player draft when they nabbed Brandon Ingram, then added young talent to their most scarce position by selecting Ivica Zubac in the second round of the NBA Draft. No surprises, all strictly to the script, and it's about time.

Hiring Walton felt like a no-brainer for everyone involved. His ties to the Lakers franchise aside, it's what he (hopefully) picked up in his time with the Warriors that made it such an obvious play. The Lakers are moving into an era of fast-paced play headlined by who they hope becomes an elite point guard in D'Angelo Russell. Who better to coat Russell with lacquer than someone who's spent the last few years working with Stephen Curry and leading the Warriors?

Easy call for all.

The Lakers could have gotten cute with the No. 2 pick and turned it some sort of abomination of what it was always meant to be. They could have reached and taken three-point shooting extraordinaire Buddy Hield, especially considering how much the front office loves to grab multi-year college players. They could have made a serious push to trade out for an established all-star type player, but all indications point to other teams making that push and the Lakers sitting back without much intent to make such a deal. Mitch Kupchak and the basketball operations team took door No. 1 and showed no reason to believe their eyes were ever anywhere else.

Small forward has been a debilitating need for the Lakers for years and they just-so-happened to draft a player who fills that mold.

Wrapping up draft night by bringing enormous Lakers fan and human being Ivica Zubac to California was a nice cherry on top for the front office as they prepare for free agency. Zubac projected as a first-round talent, but limitations to his international play over the last few years due to injuries and contractual complications led to a slide for the 7'1 behemoth.

Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't, but there's no question the Lakers needed to start building up their prospects at center. Taking the best available big man with the 32nd-overall pick was a smart move for the current roster construction.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton believes Brandon Ingram can become a leader for the Lakers
by Gary Kester - lakersoutsiders.com

Luke Walton agreed to become the 26th head coach in the history of the Los Angeles Lakers over a month ago, but did not officially get started until Monday when the team held an introductory press conference.

Walton was forced to endure a quick turnaround after suffering an NBA Finals Game 7 loss on Sunday in his final game as lead assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors, but his head coaching tenure is off to a good start.

On Thursday, Walton’s new team added one of the two consensus top prospects in the 2016 NBA Draft, selecting Brandon Ingram with the No. 2 overall pick.

There are plenty of reasons to be intrigued by the addition of Ingram to the roster. He fills a glaring roster need at the small forward position, and comes with a tremendous amount of upside, which helped make Mitch Kupchak’s draft day decision an easy one, and his new head coach certainly had no objections.

“We got the player that I wanted in the draft,” Walton said. “I don’t know if he’s the best or not, but he’s the player I wanted for sure.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject:

Lakers not among first teams to get free agency meeting with Kevin Durant

They are still 'hopeful' to get a meeting, however.

The Los Angeles Lakers are projected to have the most cap space in the NBA when the floodgates of free agency open on July 1st, and the team has been open about their desire to add multiple marquee names to a roster that lost the second most games in the NBA last year.

The top name on the market this summer is indisputably Oklahoma city Thunder forward Kevin Durant, who is expected to begin taking meeting with prospective suitors right when free agency begins, according to Marc Stein of ESPN. Unfortunately for the Lakers, they will not be one of the first team's granted a meeting with Durant.

"The Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spursand incumbent Oklahoma City Thunder are the first three known teams to secure face-to-face meetings with free agent-to-be Kevin Durant, starting next weekend," writes Stein, who reports that the Lakers and other teams hoping to lure Durant still remain "hopeful" they will get a meeting with him.

This is obviously not ideal news for Los Angeles, but is probably to be expected given how much of a long shot they always have been to sign Durant. The team does boast copious cap space, enough for Durant to bring at least one max salaried teammate of his choosing with him to Los Angeles, but with the rest of the team's talent being so young, it always seemed more likely Durant would either stay in Oklahoma City or sign with a team with more established talent.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell shines in his Pro-Am debut
by Thai Luong - lakersoutsiders.com

The Las Vegas summer league needs to hurry up and come sooner.

The Lakers announced their summer league schedule will start on July 8th against the New Orleans Pelicans. The Lakers’ summer league team will be one of the most exciting teams in Vegas, with the roster set to include D’Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram, Larry Nance Jr. and Anthony Brown.

Summer league is still a couple of weeks away, and most of us are hungry for some basketball. D’Angelo Russell satisfied a bit of that appetite tonight by appearing in the Kentuckiana Pro-Am Summer League event.

Apparently, Russell was an absolute beast in the two games he played tonight. Russell had 41 points in the first game and followed that performance with a 39-point game in the second slate.

Continued....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: