Can KG opt out after '07?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Can KG opt out after '07?

That ESPN insider article says yes. If true then he can either force a trade to us for the likes of Odom and Kwame or just wait it out and sign with us after '07.
Huge? Yes, but especially when considering that he could free up enough space to sign the likes of Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc.
Who wouldn't want to sign a max deal to play w/ Kobe, KG, Bynum, Turiaf, and Phil?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Laker front office, I love you!!!!!!!
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Believe it or not but i think the Lakers will choose signing Good role-players instead of getting a Superstar in 2007 but thats just me.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Believe it or not but i think the Lakers will choose signing Good role-players instead of getting a Superstar in 2007 but thats just me.

Wouldn't KG and LeBron be considered good role players?
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Smell Counts wrote:

No there superstars
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Am I delusional or does this not change EVERYTHING? We don't even have to give a rat's ass about this year other than watch Kobe win the MVP. This is like the wheel being invented for God's Sakes.
HELLO?
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Did you really need a seperate thread for this?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Smell Counts wrote:

No there superstars

So were Mikan, Baylor, Wilt, Goodrich, West, Kareem, Magic, Worthy, McAdoo, Scott, Cooper, Kobe, Rice, Malone, Payton, etc.
On the Lakers, we just have REALLY good Role Players.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:

Which do you prefer?

Two 20 page threads - Or one 40 page one
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:

Dude, think about the weight of this? It's historical. Yes, I'd say it deserves it's own thread.
Either we get KG for Odom and Kwame this summer, and still have a Max space after next year.

OR

We sign KG and another Max (likely a Bosh or Lebron) after next year.

We still keep Kobe, Bynum and Turiaf. And Mihm, Cook, and Sasha for at leat next year.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
II Cleva wrote:

Which do you prefer?

Go for the 40. Organized confusion is always the best way to go. 8)

Last edited by 2Cleva on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
II Cleva wrote:

Dude, think about the weight of this? It's historical. Yes, I'd say it deserves it's own thread.
Either we get KG for Odom and Kwame this summer, and still have a Max space after next year.

OR

We still keep Kobe, Bynum and Turiaf. And Mihm, Cook, and Sasha for at leat next year.

I'm the one who pointed it out in the first place. You know, in the other thread about the Insider article. The one you posted in before deciding to have a parade over a possibility and starting this one.

This means that LA has a chance, nothing more. What you should be praying for is that Minny doesn't deal KG somewhere else he'd like to go this summer. No way it will be to LA. Only realistic shot is if it gets to 07, KG is still in Minny, and is tired of the losing.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
II Cleva wrote:

Which do you prefer?

Go for the 40. Organized confusion is always the best way to go.

Then merge the freekin threads. I don't give a crap. This is HISTORICAL stuff. Nothing else matters kind of stuff. Like I may not go to work after lunch because the nuclear holocaust is happening at 1:00 pm stuff.
Am I overreacting?
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

07 team:

???/Smush
Kobe
Odom
KG/Turiaf
Bynum/Mihm
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:

It's not officially a thread until someone hijacks it with a Lamar post:

Shall we trade Lamar for cap space? If we renounce Kwame (I believe he has a team option for 2007-2008), Cook, and Sasha, we'll only be able to offer KG $13 million or so as an unrestricted free agent. By staying with Minne, KG can make $22 million that season and $24 million the next.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Dear Mr. Kevin McHale,

Please trade me to the Lakers, or else I will opt out and leave you with nothing.

Sincerely,

Kevin Garnett
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
II Cleva wrote:

OR

Just because an article prints some facts about a players contracts doesn't mean that they will opt out and it especially doesn't mean that Lebron or Bosh will turn down millions of dollars and fan appreciation to play along side a guy who shoots 45 times a game.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
Smel Counts wrote:
II Cleva wrote:

OR

I'm the one who pointed it out in the first place. You know, in the other thread about the Insider article. The one you posted in before deciding to have a parade over a possibility and starting this one.

This means that LA has a chance, nothing more. What you should be praying for is that Minny doesn't deal KG somewhere else he'd like to go this summer. No way it will be to LA. Only realistic shot is if it gets to 07, KG is still in Minny, and is tired of the losing.

Dude, that's great. Even if your title mentions nothing about the importance found inside the thread, or are you II cleva for your own good?
Merge the threads glory boy!!!!!!
I don't care, nor do I want credit. I want KG and Lebron wearing the PnG alongside Kobe and Bynum. Hello?

KG can veto any trade because he can simply state that he won't stay on after '07, effectively making the Lakers the only viable option. (The big worry is that he somehow gets a major injury between now and then-not that Minny will trade him somewhere else).
Minny doesn't want to get burned and neither will whoever trades the franchise for him for a one year rental.
This is big stuff, and i mean BIG!!!!!
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

If Lamar is traded for an expiring contract, or if he is traded w/ Kwame for KG (a great deal for Minny considering the alternatives) we would be $20- $25 mil. under the cap, thus allowing KG to keep his salary.

The thing is, KG has made so much $ ($200 mil. in bball salary alone after next year) that I'm sure he would gladly accept Lamar Odom $ after next year to attract another max slot (LBJ, Bosh, Melo, Wade, etc.).

These players would in turn opt out when it would be the closest thing to guaranteed titles, extra shoe $, extra endorsements, for the PREMIER/SIGNATURE franchise in the WORLD that already has Kobe, KG, Bynum and Phil in their stable. They will still get max salary and the key to the universe as well. It's potentially much bigger than showtime.
Hello people????
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Can't KG veto a trade anyway by refusing to waive the trade kicker?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The thing is, KG has made so much $ ($200 mil. in bball salary alone after next year) that I'm sure he would gladly accept Lamar Odom $ after next year to attract another max slot (LBJ, Bosh, Melo, Wade, etc.).

This is an important perspective, I think. The Lakers need to start looking at players who are already coming off huge contracts, that are still contriubting to their respective teams. Even players like Danny Fortson, for example, who is coming off a very large and perhaps underseved contract. He's been paid BIG money to play on sub .500 teams. Why not accept fewer dollars now, in order to have a real chance at a championship?

This is perhaps why KG is a very real consideration, much more so than Bosh and for sure more than Lebron, who is yet to get his pay day(outside of Nike, Sprite...). With that said, there is no need to consider it a done deal.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

It's not KG or Lebron/Bosh. KG is the extra bait to lure a LBJ/Bosh.
A max slot looks a hell of a lot better to a LBJ/Bosh when the team offering it already has Phil, Kobe, KG, and Bynum. Would you rather go to that Laker team or Cleveland/Toronto/Charlotte/Atlanta/Minny?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
II Cleva wrote:

Minnesota does this why exactly?

If the bidding opens on KG there are teams in the East with better offers than Odom and Kwame. There will be enough hell to pay in Minny if and when they decide to ship out KG. They aren't going to take Odom and Kwame--and no KG can't force it. If crazy Artest can't force where he goes, KG can't. Most GMs have a pair and don't concede to their players demands when trading them.

Quote:

OR

So now the Lakers have cap room for two max players? Since when? And how exactly do you propose they get Bosh or Lebron when both players are going to resign with their respective teams?

Quote:

Well keep carrying that pipe around. I guess when 2007 rolls around without any big moves then it'll be the 2011 plan or something when Oden's rookie K is up.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Minnesota does this why exactly?

If the bidding opens on KG there are teams in the East with better offers than Odom and Kwame. There will be enough hell to pay in Minny if and when they decide to ship out KG. They aren't going to take Odom and Kwame--and no KG can't force it. If crazy Artest can't force where he goes, KG can't. Most GMs have a pair and don't concede to their players demands when trading them.

Garnett could have control over where he goes by telling the team trading for him that he will opt out after 2007. Other teams will not offer more than the Lakers if they know they are renting him for 1 year.

If Garnett wants to come to LA he could make it happen. And it is more realistic to think that a veteran who has already made his money would be willing to accept a little less to come to LA, certainly easier to believe than Bosh, Wade, Carmelo or LeBron. It could also be the reason that Kupchak is so steadfast in his 2007 plan, and why Kobe and KG practiced in the summer together.

Either that or it's just more pipe. Just like everything else, its cool to think about, its still a long shot, but KG does have some leverage.

Last edited by JerryMagicKobe on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Smel Counts wrote:
II Cleva wrote:

OR

Just because an article prints some facts about a players contracts doesn't mean that they will opt out and it especially doesn't mean that Lebron or Bosh will turn down millions of dollars and fan appreciation to play along side a guy who shoots 45 times a game.

Nice trolling post.

That said, KG has never had the need to be the #1 option, or have the ball with the game on the line, etc. He would earn most, if not all of the money he would be "turning down" by the automatic kickers in his endorsement contracts that increase their value by 25-33% if he plays in one of the big 3 markets.

KG took less money to help bring in free agents before. You don't think he would take less money if he thought it would take him to a place with a better chance of getting to the finals?

Kobe is averaging 27 shots per game, not 45 (and would probably drop from 27 with KG as a teammate), so your sarcasm is just plain stupid. Like KG really keeps track of that sort of thing :roll:

Never read a negative quote from KG about Kobe, or vice versa. In fact, they both seem to have a lot of respect for each other, and enjoy playing together at the all-star game, etc. Do you have a link to a quote from either contrary to that?

Think he wouldn't have fan appreciation in LA? KG in a Laker uniform would have more fans than he has ever had in the tundra.

Do us all a favor, and think before you post.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: