Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 749, 750, 751 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Funny how the team played hard for him last year and were an improving young team but because James petulantly ignores him and two disgruntled one year rental headcases complain about their mins he is suddenly a horrible HC.

Of course he could be better and is still learning on the job but the failures of this roster and the bad attitudes are heavily on the shoulders of the vets, not the core players. Shouldn't they know better? They are supposed to be the leaders, right?

Bad habits and low effort is coming from the vets just as much if not more then from the young players. With the FO deferring to his every whim, how would you expect Walton (or any HC) to be critical of James.

FO screwed this team up from the get go. Their contradictory decisions and proclamations in the media must have the young guys heads spinning. And I include Walton in this.

Last year they they were a fast paced hard working team. What changed? Even this year, some of their best moments/runs are when they create turnovers and push the pace. Patience and add a max was the plan. Although completely contradictory to the win now because James has a short window path they are now on.

Walton is doing the best with what he has. FO put the flawed roster together from game one. They have made multiple questionable decisions based on "maintaining max money for the two max plan".

What is the identity of this team? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Relying on a battle worn James to be the same as his prime years is not Walton's fault. Especially as James seems to be showing signs of both physical and mental fatigue. What new amazing HC is going to get the most out of him next season let alone the final 25 games?

I expect more from a HoF leader and proclaimed "best player in the world"

Show me, don't tell me.

And certainly don't keep throwing teammates and HC under the bus because you are not getting the results you want. Maybe "lame duck" Walton should start throwing the vets under the bus for stupid of uninspired play.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Page 750 still not fired
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Funny how the team played hard for him last year and were an improving young team but because James petulantly ignores him and two disgruntled one year rental headcases complain about their mins he is suddenly a horrible HC.

Of course he could be better and is still learning on the job but the failures of this roster and the bad attitudes are heavily on the shoulders of the vets, not the core players. Shouldn't they know better? They are supposed to be the leaders, right?

Bad habits and low effort is coming from the vets just as much if not more then from the young players. With the FO deferring to his every whim, how would you expect Walton (or any HC) to be critical of James.

FO screwed this team up from the get go. Their contradictory decisions and proclamations in the media must have the young guys heads spinning. And I include Walton in this.

Last year they they were a fast paced hard working team. What changed? Even this year, some of their best moments/runs are when they create turnovers and push the pace. Patience and add a max was the plan. Although completely contradictory to the win now because James has a short window path they are now on.

Walton is doing the best with what he has. FO put the flawed roster together from game one. They have made multiple questionable decisions based on "maintaining max money for the two max plan".

What is the identity of this team? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Relying on a battle worn James to be the same as his prime years is not Walton's fault. Especially as James seems to be showing signs of both physical and mental fatigue. What new amazing HC is going to get the most out of him next season let alone the final 25 games?

Show me, don't tell me.

And certainly don't keep throwing teammates and HC under the bus because you are not getting the results you want. Maybe "lame duck" Walton should start throwing the vets under the bus for stupid of uninspired play.

You can't keep on going to the LBJ crutch.

Luke's deficiencies pre date LBJ.

I'd argue that LBJ's run with the team has papered over some serious coaching issues, and the current poor run has shifted the blame to LBJ (some deserved).

Last year, we played with house money. There was literally nothing to lose.

It's under actual expectation and scrutiny that we find Luke's methods wanting. He has also done himself a tremendous disservice with his choice of assistant coaches.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Show me, don't tell me.

I'd argue that LBJ's run with the team has papered over some serious coaching issues, and the current poor run has shifted the blame to LBJ (some deserved).

It's under actual expectation and scrutiny that we find Luke's methods wanting. He has also done himself a tremendous disservice with his choice of assistant coaches.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

And Luke was one of 3 guys I wanted us to pursue post Parking Brake (Ollie, Luke and Atkinson). So I have some egg on my face for being too sentimental about Luke the Laker. There are some real coaching issues that have nothing to do with the tough situations he was handed (and he has truthfully been given some tough things to smooth over).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Show me, don't tell me.

Agree Walton makes mistakes and needs to improve. Which I would expect from a first time HC in his first couple years. I agree he needs a change t his assts. Would loved to see an old school mentor type to help him from day one. Most first time HCs have their Winter, Hamblin or Bertka types to mentor them.

Why didn't the FO make that addition this past off-season? Not just a Walton decision. Magic and Buss can have input to the coaching staff too.

There is a big difference from tactical or rotation issues and "losing the players" as some are speculating.

Again, I just go back to last season. Lakers were a young developing team that made mistakes that cost them games but had a reputation as hard working and fast paced. Walton gets credit for making that work to 35 wins despite the youth and injuries.

He was hired to develop a young team using a GS model. The players were selected to run that style. They had not great but good communication. Then the FO changed the vision, roster make up and expectations.

Perhaps you are correct, Walton needs to go. They need a HC that will defer to James and any vets they are able to sign. A win now strategy needs a win now HC that has James' blessing or he might not play hard for him either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
There is a big difference from tactical or rotation issues and "losing the players" as some are speculating.

Again, I just go back to last season. Lakers were a young developing team that made mistakes that cost them games but had a reputation as hard working and fast paced. Walton gets credit for making that work to 35 wins despite the youth and injuries.

When you have no expectations placed on you, it's much easier to play loose. I think if he didn't have LBJ, he wouldn't have expectations and the team may play more loose but isn't by any means a lock for the playoffs.

It's how you start separating the wheat from the chaff under scrutiny. He's made tactical blunders. Headscratching rotations. And now, it's clear whatever message he's preaching behind closed doors is not resonating.

He will likely have 25 games to make something of his Lakers tenure. Is he going to resort to the LBJ crutch you seem to bandy (big mistake for him if he does) or try to do more than offer plaudits? His offensive schemes remain non existent still.

I'll give credit to Luke for improving the defense over the past few years, but his offense remains tragically underdeveloped. And what irks me is the lack of development on technical skills from our young core. Lonzo still can't hit FTs. BI's not shooting 3s and his FT % remains poor. Kuz's defense remains porous. These are things you would hope would improve.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

Show me, don't tell me.

you dont like the LBJ signing. we get it.

LBJ is telling luke not to have
rotations
no in game adjustment
no offense
no player development
no shooting coach
no decent assistant coach

ya its all LBJ's fault.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

It’s been the same ever since Phil left, change the coach, change personnel, change the direction of the team, change the coach, change personnel, lather, rinse and repeat. The franchise has struggled with direction since Dr. Buss passed away, they seem rather rudderless.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It’s been the same ever since Phil left, change the coach, change personnel, change the direction of the team, change the coach, change personnel, lather, rinse and repeat. The franchise has struggled with direction since Dr. Buss passed away, they seem rather rudderless.

its always going to fail cause the 1st requirement and only 1 to get a lakers coaching job is to be a former laker and he should know what it means to be a laker.

if you have that kind of garbage requirements u fail.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You only need to find the right combination once
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Page 750 still not fired

As bad as many fans want him gone the owner won't sign off on firing him looks like he will make it thru the season.
BGJ
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

Of course not all is his fault , but come on. We are the Los Angeles Lakers, we should aim for the best.

And unfortunately, Luke Walton is not a top Head Coach. Wait till the summer and upgrade.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

Nick Wright makes some good points about firing Luke now instead of later

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

I could absolutely support a coach who through no fault of his own, had a series of bad circumstances but he had a cognizable system in place that was effective.

He's just not been showing us anything resembling a modern day NBA offense that is successful. The YUTES have stagnated developmentally speaking under him and his coaching staff. He's gotta show us more and he's quickly running out of time.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

This is one of the rare times that Nick is correct in his assessment. Luke needs to go. Cut our losses. Jeanie keeping him is sunk cost fallacy
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Page 750.5 still not fired
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

if the players know he'll be gone at the end of the year any why would they listen to him? Keeping him until the end of the year is a waste of development time.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

Everyone is talking about LAL and Luke on the talk shows, lol.

Chris Broussard isn't convinced Luke Walton is the problem for LeBron and Lakers:
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

If Bryan Shaw takes over as interim and the Lakers go on a strong run to end the season and that carries on in to the playoffs, it's going to be hard to give the job to someone else in the summer. If the FO has their eye on someone else this could be seen as a risk to them, but if Bryan does well as the coach wouldn't it be a good thing to keep him?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Everyone is talking about LAL and Luke on the talk shows, lol.

Chris Broussard isn't convinced Luke Walton is the problem for LeBron and Lakers:

It's debatable if he is or not. He probably bears some blame. But for sure he wouldn't be able to help change atmosphere of the team and the direction of the season by staying on if the players have already tuned him out.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

This is one of the rare times that Nick is correct in his assessment. Luke needs to go. Cut our losses. Jeanie keeping him is sunk cost fallacy

I think his co-host makes the point. "The thing that's fireable to me is the lack of young player development"
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

I think his co-host makes the point. "The thing that's fireable to me is the lack of young player development"

They make a compelling argument
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Is Jay Wright a good coach? I don't follow college enough but know his teams are good.

Is getting him even possible?

Whos possible?

Because likely we cant get someone like Quin Snyder right?

So, Messina, Wright, SVG?
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

what is YUTES? lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 749, 750, 751 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 750 of 818
Jump to: