Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 704, 705, 706 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
What do you guys make of the point that we're 6th in defensive efficiency? Isn't that an indicator of good coaching and that we rather need better assistants (an offensive coordinator type of coach and a shooting coach, specifically)?

I mean take a look at the Rockets. They have D'Antoni who's clearly awesome at coaching offense but who's always looked at as being deficient on the defensive end. So that's why they have that defensive coordinator coach.

Same thing could work for us, I would think.

One thing the coaching staff can keep consistent is defense. Offense comes and go. I'm a big Ingram fan but he's starting to over dribble all the time. This kills any offense. I mean, he comes off a screen to just dribble. I'm pretty sure they want him to attack or shoot after the screen. The Lakers are getting a ton of open shots. We have very few play makers out there right now but yet the Lakers still get open shots. Now, if we were to hit more than half of them, get our FT percentage above 75 percent, we will be top 10 in both defense and offense.

I don't get the blame Luke gets for the players not being able to make open shots.

We lost to a very bad Cavs team, but that same Cavs team beat the Sixers, Hornets, Rockets and the Pacers.

They are capable of beating good teams. When you turn the ball over and can't make open shots, it's tough to beat any NBA team.

If the Lakers stayed somewhat healthy, even with the poor shooting, they would possibly be top 3 in the west. This is because of defense. Something the Lakers have been horrible with prior to Luke. You give Luke a bunch of kids, let your best 3pt shooter walk, surround your star player with below average 3pt shooters and you expect the offense to be good? What does Magic want to see? a team that posts up? Hard to do when you have no post players. Does he expect the team to be shooting lights out on threes?

To be upfront, I thought the Lakers would be top ten in 3pt shooting just because of the space Lebron creates for everyone but these guys just can't shoot.

Lonzo has been driving more lately, be it, ugly prayers but at least he's driving.

Ingram just dribbles way too much.

When these two are the primary ball handlers, the only capable ones at that, the offense is going to struggle. Add that on top of the bad shooting percentages and what does anyone expect?

I know what to expect, a good defensive game and a great chance to beat any team if we make our shots.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

I know many of us are unhappy with the losses and Luke's offense.
If Luke coached like yesterday going forward, would some be happy?
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
PengShow wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
What do you guys make of the point that we're 6th in defensive efficiency? Isn't that an indicator of good coaching and that we rather need better assistants (an offensive coordinator type of coach and a shooting coach, specifically)?

I mean take a look at the Rockets. They have D'Antoni who's clearly awesome at coaching offense but who's always looked at as being deficient on the defensive end. So that's why they have that defensive coordinator coach.

Same thing could work for us, I would think.

Where is the offensive mastermind then?

Homeboy Luke is the one who recruited his team of assistants.

Well that's what I'm saying. Magic and Pelinka need to step in, fire Luke's assistants, and hire better ones (including an offensive coordinator and shooting coach).

You have much more confidence in Magic than I do. I watched him coach, he was clueless. I would question how much he has learned since then.

That and his assessment of college talent. He said Brandon Knight was his number one pick. I'm glad Jennie kept Ryan West and Jesse Buss around.

I like Magic as a player, one of my all time favorites but I too, saw him coach.

Did people forget Magic's backing of hiring Byron Scott as head coach?

Is that the type of coach you want to see again? Because if Luke is replaced, I can see Fisher, Marc Jackson or Lue as a Magic pick. I would throw up if one of them actually happened.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I posted it in the game thread but doubling the ball handler some in the second half was a great adjustment. Chicago had a couple of shot clock violations and poor shots at the end of the shot clock. Against younger players it is a great strategy.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Someone asked me today if we have enough plays. The game isn't so much about having plays; it's about playing the right way. Because if you have plays, you're easy to scout. If you don't have plays and you put guys in certain structures that have the right skills and know how to play in the game, then you're a lot tougher to defend."

yuck. his thinking of certain structures means more iso's
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:
"Someone asked me today if we have enough plays. The game isn't so much about having plays; it's about playing the right way. Because if you have plays, you're easy to scout. If you don't have plays and you put guys in certain structures that have the right skills and know how to play in the game, then you're a lot tougher to defend."

I like the concept of less plays but the problem is he doesn’t have guys who play the right way and the offensive structure is (bleep).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

I like the concept of less plays but the problem is he doesn’t have guys who play the right way and the offensive structure is (bleep).

Agree.
Which is why running actions and even running weak side actions simultaneously is so vital. Are the players smart enough to pat their heads and rub their bellies at the same time?

Last edited by epak on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

as a coach he needs to understand that
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

(bleep) (bleep) did he really say that? What team in the history of the league has won the way this guy thinks? Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr, Pop and all these great coaches who won multiple titles in recent memory all won with specific offensive schemes. So he'd rather run a bad high school offense because he's afraid of being scouted? (bleep) (bleep)!

Ship this (bleep) coach and his high school offense out asap. (bleep)!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

(bleep) (bleep) did he really say that? What team in the history of the league has won the way this guy thinks? Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr, Pop and all these great coaches who won multiple titles in recent memory all won with specific offensive schemes. So he'd rather run a bad high school offense because he's afraid of being scouted? (bleep) (bleep)!

Rajon Rondo said this.

Not Luke.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Rajon Rondo said this.

Not Luke.

Luke thread so I assumed it was Luke. Good if it wasn't him
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Rajon Rondo said this.

Not Luke.

Do you still want to waive Rondo?
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

I kind of get it, but I still say the players are trying to find themselves. They are middle of the pack in assists. They will be better as long as they get Rondo and Lebron back, guys will flourish I think.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Rajon Rondo said this.

Not Luke.

LOL.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Rajon Rondo said this.

Not Luke.

LOL.

Not gonna be surprised if Rondo's just parroting what Luke has been preaching to them all year. It's quite evident that we don't have any semblance of a half court offense and it's exactly why we're near the bottom in the league at it.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

No because it wasn't his coaching that won the game yesterday.

We struggled with offense the whole game until we got some runs and Ball made the 3's
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
epak wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Rajon Rondo said this.

Not Luke.

LOL.

Not gonna be surprised if Rondo's just parroting what Luke has been preaching to them all year. It's quite evident that we don't have any semblance of a half court offense and it's exactly why we're near the bottom in the league at it.

This

Watched Boston and Toronto today. Watching them run their offensive sets and get good shots just made me more angry.

Even basic plays would go a long way. We really can't get a grasp of our young guys by playing ISO.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
3baller wrote:
epak wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:

Rajon Rondo said this.

Not Luke.

LOL.

This

Watched Boston and Toronto today. Watching them run their offensive sets and get good shots just made me more angry.

Even basic plays would go a long way. We really can't get a grasp of our young guys by playing ISO.

No doubt.
I was just laughing cuz when ringer said it wasn't Luke the tone changed
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers are near the bottom of the league in 3-point shooting (33.5 percent, 27th out of 30 teams). They're worse in losses (29.8 percent) than in wins (36.9 percent).

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25773789/luke-walton-the-challenge-lebron-recovers
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers are near the bottom of the league in 3-point shooting (33.5 percent, 27th out of 30 teams). They're worse in losses (29.8 percent) than in wins (36.9 percent).

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25773789/luke-walton-the-challenge-lebron-recovers

Make 3s and win.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I bet they also had a lower point differential in losses than wins. #analytics
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Make 3s and win.

everyone in the world knew we were lacking shooters heading into training camp... coincidence that we're that low on the list?

this isn't on Luke. when we're hitting shots, we're winning.

Ellington could get bought out soon but if not we should trade for him. Try and get as many shooters possible.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Make 3s and win.

everyone in the world knew we were lacking shooters heading into training camp... coincidence that we're that low on the list?

this isn't on Luke. when we're hitting shots, we're winning.

Ellington could get bought out soon but if not we should trade for him. Try and get as many shooters possible.

I think that's why some wanted Tyreke or Seth Curry (though his health was a question mark) in the summer. But we ended up with Lance.

But surprisingly, Lance is hitting a nice 37.5% from 3 on 2.5 attempts while playing less minutes (15 mpg) than Seth (2.8 3fga on insane 48.7% in 17mpg) and Tyreke (3.5 3fga on 35% in 20mpg). Even Rondo is at 35.7% on 2 attempts a game. And Lebron is at 35.6%.

I think our main issue is Hart/Kuz/Lonzo/KCP who we rely on to shoot 3s are just too streaky. KCP and Hart are a respectable 34.6%, but can go games without hitting. But Lonzo and Kuz who take the most 3s brings the average down most. Kuzma at 29.6% and Lonzo at 33.0%. And they will go games without hitting as well.

TLDR: We need the guys who shoot the most 3s to have the higher averages.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are 2nd worse in the league in offensive efficiency after a made basket, ahead of only the Cleveland Cavaliers

"Obviously, that's because the BI and Lonzo aren't good enough to-"

No. This is from the start of the season. INCLUDING LEBRON, a team with LeBron James on it is basically the 2nd worst half court offense in the entire league.

Luke coaches good defense, fine. Every player on this team is in shackles on the offensive end. Including LeBron.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Like GT said on his podcast appearances, the Lakers’ roster can be flawed AND Luke can be squandering the offensive potential of the team. Both things can be true. Lakers don’t have good shooters (which also makes the lack of a shooting coach more glaring), but guys like GT and Cranjis have been complaining all season (multiple seasons, really) about how poorly we use the guys we do have. Our shooting hurts us, no doubt, but that doesn’t mean that Luke can’t do anything to help maximize the talent and skill sets we do have.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 704, 705, 706 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 705 of 818
Jump to: