Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 643, 644, 645 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Luke seems fine, his personnel is an issue (both his player and coaching personnel). He has direct control over his coaching personnel and has done little to improve it. That has been my biggest disappointment with him.

There's only so much culture you can preach before you also have to bring on a variety of different skills to the coaching personnel, which in theory should help maximize player potential.

What's frustrating to me is that he hasn't changed it, and the front office, though quick to put Luke on the chopping block, hasn't interjected instead at putting in their own assistants. Maybe because it's a bad look, but I feel that'd be the most valuable thing they can do after improving our roster.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

After 20 games, the lakers: 1) have shown they could score 120+ points too which is very important nowadays; 2) start improving their defence too; 3) most of them find their role of the team and are settling down: McGee moves well off the ball and blocking, James plays off the ball more but takes control when needed, Ball puts full court pressure, Ingram handles the ball more and break the defense more, Kuzma runs better fast break and take more 3s, hart is doing everything off the bench, KCP hitting big shots, Rando be the general for second unit, Stephenson remains the X factor, Svi and Beasley are seeing minutes. With everyone settling, they start playing better collectively; 4) they mixed up starting unit and second unit quite well. Good job Luke!
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Denver nuggets don't have a franchise player and shoot about the same (actually slightly worse) than us from 3pt range.

Not saying we couldn't be better wtih the things you mention, just, they shouldn't be prohibitors to being better than we are.

Maybe. But Nuggets is the wrong comparison. They have Jokic who help them to spread the floor by taking the opponent center out of the paint. They also have Milsap who is a threat in the low post and knows how to finish inside the paint. Jokic is a good scorer inside the paint himself. It is the lack of shooters and lack of low post threat that make our offense very easy to defend. If we have resigned Lopez, our offense will be more fun to watch.So back to my original point, there are many fundamental flaws on our roster that is not fixable (maybe they can improve shooting), and it is difficult for Luke to adjust because these problems were not there last season. Using D'Antoni as an example, he is a good coach and leads the Rocket to #1 seed in the West last year but even him has a difficult time to adjust with the current new roster due to loss of their best perimeter defenders and various other issues.

So you think Luke is getting the best possible output given the roster construction?

If so, I don't agree with that. I think there are limitations with the coach and staff, and, we have roster challenges.

I think even given the roster weaknesses we have, we ought to be playing better than we are.

I can't say we are playing the best possible output. My prediction of the season is we going to finish the season at low seed in the playoff or barely miss it.

As I mentioned earlier, we lack shooters and low post threads (and various other things), so it is difficult to run an efficient offense. Because there's no way to fix these flaws, the way Luke accommodates that is by playing a really fast pace. I think it is a clever idea but unfortunately, it doesn't translate to wins.

But I respect your opinion that you think we should do better than we have.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Game 22 and he's still putting out random lineups that never played together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
Game 22 and he's still putting out random lineups that never played together.
m
This is a major problem.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Lakers were on a back to back, their 3rd game in 4 nights, and their 4th game in 6 nights, fell into a 15 point hole early and climbed out to blow out a team that's 8-3 in their last 11. Which is good.

https://twitter.com/waitfordusk/status/1068749652852232192?s=19
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

Glad to see Luke gives everyone their role after 20 games:

Ball: the defensive assignment to put full court pressure. Hope he can further improve his defense and hit some 3s.
Ingram: the one other than LBJ to break opponent’s defense and play defense. Hope he can be more unstoppable.
LBJ: the one to take over when needed. He has unloaded many duties. Hope he can be more unstoppable too.
Kuzma: hits 3s, run fast break and rebounding. That’s what the team need from him and he start doing well. Hope he can do it more consistently.
McGee: moves well off the ball and protect the rim. You can’t ask more from him.

Rando: the general of second unit. He is more than capable for this role. He hits 3s too
Hart: he is doing everything off the bench. Very energetic. You can’t ask more from him too.
KCP: he play defense and hit big shots.
Chandler: can’t ask more from this old DPOY. Provide much mental strength to the team.

Stephenson: an X factor
Svi: could see more minutes
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject:

Good win team.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject:

At the beginning of the season, LBJ used to keep the ball and direct teammates to run/cut. Now he let Ingram and Ball bring the ball up much more and take over only when needed. He is in greater form now too. Luke has done a good job in mixing up LBJ and other veterans with the young players
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject:

So it seems we're a good team on defense again.
I'll give props to Luke, last year we were good too.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Surprisingly I feel like Luke is a pretty solid defensive coach. Opposite of his reputation but this is the 3rd straight year I feel he's done a good job. (Before we blatantly tanked in '16-'17 we were also surprisingly decent on defense.)
It's offense where we are terrible. Would love for the Pelicans to fire Alvin Gentry and for him to come here as our offensive coordinator/ associate head coach.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
danzag wrote:

Surprisingly I feel like Luke is a pretty solid defensive coach. Opposite of his reputation but this is the 3rd straight year I feel he's done a good job. (Before we blatantly tanked in '16-'17 we were also surprisingly decent on defense.)
It's offense where we are terrible. Would love for the Pelicans to fire Alvin Gentry and for him to come here as our offensive coordinator/ associate head coach.

I hear you.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Fun win!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

If memphis loses to Philly today, Lakers are 5th seed.
Crazy
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Packers finally fired Mike McCarthy! He ruined Aaron Rodgers’s prime, but at least the witch is finally dead!

....*ahem* Well, we might have our own Mike McCarthy here, but hopefully the FO will take those steps quicker than the Packers did.

But Luke will survive this season as long as the talent here continues to make him look good.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Packers finally fired Mike McCarthy! He ruined Aaron Rodgers’s prime, but at least the witch is finally dead!

....*ahem* Well, we might have our own Mike McCarthy here, but hopefully the FO will take those steps quicker than the Packers did.

But Luke will survive this season as long as the talent here continues to make him look good.

Hahahahaha.
Great post. Football is just like basketball.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Nah they should have kept McCarthy. He was great!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Have they had a star RB or WR in the Aaron era?
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Have they had a star RB or WR in the Aaron era?

No but of course I'm ecstatic when the Packers lose so I'm disappointed by this move...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

We're 5 games ahead of .500 for the first time since 2010-2011, IIRC.

Last edited by danzag on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
We're 5 games ahead of .500 since 2010-2011, IIRC.

5th seed.
1.5 gb of first.
7-3 last 10.
Keep it up team.

Now bench BI for Hart, coach.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Luke’s always been a great locker room guy as a player. He was a player favorite as an assistant coach in GS and probably the glue guy from the staff. He’s great at getting his guys to build chemistry as we have seen the last two year. These players truly care about each other it seems and have fun too.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
danzag wrote:

5th seed.
1.5 gb of first.
7-3 last 10.
Keep it up team.

PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
danzag wrote:

5th seed.
1.5 gb of first.
7-3 last 10.
Keep it up team.

The reality is Hart isn't slowing anyone down on the perimeter. If he could do that better somehow he'd be a starter.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Luke’s always been a great locker room guy as a player. He was a player favorite as an assistant coach in GS and probably the glue guy from the staff. He’s great at getting his guys to build chemistry as we have seen the last two year. These players truly care about each other it seems and have fun too.

One huge thing Luke has going for him LeBron and Rondo seem to really like him. LeBron buying in to playing defense is a major plus imo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 643, 644, 645 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 644 of 818
Jump to: