OFFICIAL Class of 2015 Okafor/Mudiay/non-DLO Rookies Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject:

At this point I would rank the top 10 picks:

1. Towns
2. Porzingis
3. WCS
4. Okafor
5. Winslow
6. Johnson
7. Mudiay
8. Russell
9. Hezonja
10. Kaminsky
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

1. Towns
2. Porzingis
3. WCS
4. Okafor
5. Winslow
6. Johnson
7. Mudiay
8. Russell
9. Hezonja
10. Kaminsky

Which will drastically change over time. I think the only given is KAT being first.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bol wrote:

1. Towns
2. Porzingis
3. WCS
4. Okafor
5. Winslow
6. Johnson
7. Mudiay
8. Russell
9. Hezonja
10. Kaminsky

Which will drastically change over time. I think the only given is KAT being first.

exactly. none have cemented themselves above the others, no one's been consistent. They've all had a good half or two, and then disappeared for some games.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

At this incredibly early juncture, the two guys who I've changed my opinion on a bit are Porzingis and Kaminsky. Like I said yesterday, I'm really impressed by Porzingis' rebounding and floor game. He was a good offensive rebounder in Spain but very poor on the defensive end, and so far he's been a superb offensive rebounder and passable on the defensive boards. He also has a good sense of when he needs to be where, making good cuts and knowing how to space the floor at the 3 point line. Even if he's not shooting terribly well, that helps his teammates.

As for Kaminsky, he hasn't demonstrated the offensive skill that I expected him to, and hasn't done much else, albeit in limited action.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

BPM of Top 10 Picks, 11/3/15

1) Willie Cauley-Stein...+12.6
2) Karl Towns................+4.7
3) Stanley Johnson........+1.7
4) Justise Winslow.........+0.5
5) D'Angelo Russell.........-0.6
6) Kristaps Porzingis.......-3.7
7) Frank Kaminsky..........-5.6
8) Jahlil Okafor...............-6.1
9) Emmanuel Mudiay.......-7.8
10) Mario Hezonja...........-9.1
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Porzingis is the guy that suprisses me, he is doing pretty good for a unknown. Russell is what I thought he was. wCS is looking like a good pick
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

WCS showing how valuable Chandler-like skills with size/athleticism, and transition play can do in the modern NBA.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I agree with a Nash comparison. I can see it. But Nash was just so much more of a deadly shooter, and could actually make shots on the fly, leaning one way or another.

Honestly want Russell to learn from Nash.

Agree on all counts.

Hurt when Nash was not locked down for a coaching gig here.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Still surprised Mudiay's turnovers hasn't held back Denver more.
For whatever reason, they don't translate into transition points for the other team as often as I'd assume.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Still surprised Mudiay's turnovers hasn't held back Denver more.
For whatever reason, they don't translate into transition points for the other team as often as I'd assume.

a lot of his turnovers are passes out of bounds and travels. turnovers that lead into half court opportunities are less damaging than live ball turnovers.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

So far, Okafor is everything the scouts predicted: Prolific inside scorer but not much else. He's on track to become Brook Lopez 2.0.

If we'd paired him with Randle, who also doesn't provide much interior defense, our future would be farked. He's in the right situation with Noel to cover the rim and grab the boards.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
So far, Okafor is everything the scouts predicted: Prolific inside scorer but not much else. He's on track to become Brook Lopez 2.0.

If we'd paired him with Randle, who also doesn't provide much interior defense, our future would be farked. He's in the right situation with Noel to cover the rim and grab the boards.

Lopez isn't as dominant as Okafor can be though. Okafor has many of the flaws that Lopez has, but on the flip he is much much better on O considering he's only 19. The potential for JO isn't to be Lopez - he's already there. He's got potential to be the next Yao Ming type of scorer. Now different player completely than Yao, but if you recall Yao, he was one of the best scoring C's the league has had in the last 10-15 years. In his best days he averaged 23-25 ppg. Okafor has that sort of ability when he's 22-23 in his prime if he works hard. The league hasn't really seen a Center that can give a team 23-25 points a night in the paint, since Yao. Guys like Dwight have been great but not really dominant inside on O.

So yes you'll likely get a superstar, but a superstar in the mold of Yao, not in the mold of a superstar like say Anthony Davis, who can also defend.

But remember, D, it's a team game. So if Okafor has good defense around him, he'll have to do less there. He already has Noel.

What I don't like about Okafor criticism is that people think he's already hit his ceiling. He's coming in at his floor. His FLOOR, is Brook Lopez type/caliber of play. That's no way his max potential or his ceiling. It's one thing if Okafor were 3-4 years in to his college career. The guy was a 1 and done guy as well. This is his floor, guys. Not his peak. Now many guys don't improve from when they get into the league. I have no idea about that, because that often comes down to hard work and how motivated they are. But if all things are equal, Okafor's celing is still a ways away. He can get a lot better as well - mostly on O - but still - having a superstar on O isn't exactly a bad thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it was he offense per se that deterred the Lakers. It was his defense and how they projected him going forward on that end. No doubt okafor's offense is pretty advanced now. I don't think many disagreed on that end.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Porzingis is a monster. He grabbed 14 rebounds against the front court of Aldridge/Duncan. He also scored 13 points and play good defense.

Among the rookies,I think Porzingis has the biggest upside. How I wish he was taken by the Lakers.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Didn't watch the game but looking at the box score, Okafor played well. Porzingis looks really good as well
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Okafor the new Brook Lopez?
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

porzinGOD
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

So is it generally accepted that Okafor has the smallest learning curve out of all the rooks? He's basically just playing his college game out there right?
indy_dave000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I think as time goes along Pacers #11 pick Myles Turner will prove to be better than several picked before him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

indy_dave000 wrote:
I think as time goes along Pacers #11 pick Myles Turner will prove to be better than several picked before him.

He should be getting every minute Jordan Hill is getting.
ExiledFromCA
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Lopez isn't as dominant as Okafor can be though. Okafor has many of the flaws that Lopez has, but on the flip he is much much better on O considering he's only 19. The potential for JO isn't to be Lopez - he's already there. He's got potential to be the next Yao Ming type of scorer. Now different player completely than Yao, but if you recall Yao, he was one of the best scoring C's the league has had in the last 10-15 years. In his best days he averaged 23-25 ppg. Okafor has that sort of ability when he's 22-23 in his prime if he works hard. The league hasn't really seen a Center that can give a team 23-25 points a night in the paint, since Yao. Guys like Dwight have been great but not really dominant inside on O.

So yes you'll likely get a superstar, but a superstar in the mold of Yao, not in the mold of a superstar like say Anthony Davis, who can also defend.

But remember, D, it's a team game. So if Okafor has good defense around him, he'll have to do less there. He already has Noel.

What I don't like about Okafor criticism is that people think he's already hit his ceiling. He's coming in at his floor. His FLOOR, is Brook Lopez type/caliber of play. That's no way his max potential or his ceiling. It's one thing if Okafor were 3-4 years in to his college career. The guy was a 1 and done guy as well. This is his floor, guys. Not his peak. Now many guys don't improve from when they get into the league. I have no idea about that, because that often comes down to hard work and how motivated they are. But if all things are equal, Okafor's celing is still a ways away. He can get a lot better as well - mostly on O - but still - having a superstar on O isn't exactly a bad thing.

Yao wasn't a great rebounder (although he was solid, no Lopez), but he was a good defender. If Okafor puts up 25 PPG, 25 PER and defends like Yao (top 10 in defensive rating, 2 BPG, intimidating inside presence), I'm not sure we'll be so happy we picked Russell.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think it was he offense per se that deterred the Lakers. It was his defense and how they projected him going forward on that end. No doubt okafor's offense is pretty advanced now. I don't think many disagreed on that end.

And it was that they thought they could nab Deandre Jordan or Lamarcus in free agency
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And it was that they thought they could nab Deandre Jordan or Lamarcus in free agency

Well, I'm beginning to think they just really wanted DLO.

The Oak/Randle pairing from a defensive end was going to be a long-term problem. At least 76ers have Noel to cover him.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject:

I'm far more worried we'll regret not taking Porzingis than Okafor.

Also I wonder if we ever actually tried offering our two first round picks to Minnesota. I know many on LG were against it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I'm far more worried we'll regret not taking Porzingis than Okafor.

Also I wonder if we ever actually tried offering our two first round picks to Minnesota. I know many on LG were against it.

Krispy is playing well. He's not suited for center right now, and won't be for a few years. Impressed how he goes at people defensively despite being rail thin.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 4 of 91
Jump to: