Lakers in the News 7/19/15: The Future of the Los Angeles Lakers is More Complex Than it Seems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 7/19/15: The Future of the Los Angeles Lakers is More Complex Than it Seems

Why There Is Hope For LA Beyond The 2015-2016 Season
by Bobby Ilich - ibtimes.com

With Kobe Bryant turning 37 in August, and no other superstar to play alongside their aging and perhaps hobbled legend, expectations aren’t exactly sky high for the Los Angeles Lakers in 2015-2016. Las Vegas odds makers have the Lakers at 66-to-1 to win the championship, with 16 teams ahead of them. In a 30-team league, arguably the most prestigious team in the NBA is currently not even in the middle of the pack.

The failure to secure a marquee free agent or a trade for a top big man this summer might have appeared to spell doom for the Lakers, but a broad perspective on the 16-time champions’ aspirations casts a different and perhaps more optimistic outlook for their possible resurgence into the NBA elite.

If you look close enough, there is a glimmer of home despite a summer of coming up short to lure a top player

http://www.ibtimes.com/lakers-news-why-there-hope-la-beyond-2015-2016-season-2014794

Last edited by lakersfreak on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Randle's Minute-Management Came From "Above"
by Anthony F. Irwin - lakeshowlife.com

We’ve reached the point in Byron’s coaching we haven’t seen since… The last guy. Scott has earned his own hashtag: #BlameByron. So, with frustration mounting both among fans and the player whose minutes are being restricted (Julius Randle), of course much of the backlash fell upon the much-maligned head coach.

This, via Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/07/18/lakers-news-randles-minute-management-came-from-above/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

Who Impressed, Disappointed In Las Vegas Summer League
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

With a number of players on the Summer League roster who are expected to be on the Los Angeles Lakers once the regular season rolls around, expectations were extremely high for the team in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, the team failed to live up to the hype.

Second overall pick D’Angelo Russell has struggled with his shooting as well as his turnovers, though he has made some excellent passes. Julius Randle struggled mightily in his first three games, before finally finding a rhythm against the Dallas Mavericks.

The Lakers’ other two draft picks, Larry Nance Jr. and Anthony Brown, both had a couple of nice moments sprinkled in with moments of ineffectiveness and undrafted Robert Upshaw has struggled with his conditioning and thus been limited.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-nation-roundtable-who-impressed-disappointed-in-las-vegas-summer-league/2015/07/18/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

Jim vs. Jeanie: The sibling rivalry that's undermining the Los Angeles Lakers
by Roland Lazenby - vice.com

Ok, quick quiz: name the starting center of the Los Angeles Lakers. Next, name the person running the team.

Got it? Good. Think about those names.

To quote some very nice country ladies, "There's your trouble."

The Lakers are a very proud organization. I know this because I've written lots—at this point, I don't even know how many—of books about the franchise. (Oh, come on now. Shameless self-promotion, to be sure, but a couple of them are actually pretty good.)

Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to see where this sentiment comes from. Since their formation right after World War II, the Lakers have won 18 pro basketball championships—17 in the National Basketball Association, and one in the old National League.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/jim-vs-jeanie-the-sibling-rivalry-thats-undermining-the-los-angeles-lakers
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

Lakers Face Uncertain Future After Up and Down Offseason
by Hannah Kulik - lakeshowlife.com

For the avid sports fan the world has changed dramatically in the past decade. It used to be that once the NBA season ended there was little news for months until training camp was about to start again in the fall.

In recent years, however, with the enormous growth of sports and entertainment media, there is a constant demand for content to cover and discuss 24-hours a day. As a result, there is a steady flow of NBA coverage especially in Los Angeles where we have no professional football team and so many fans live and die with the Lakers.

For sure, this offseason has been jam-packed with coverage of the Lakers from the excitement of the lottery and the draft to the disappointment of free agency and the summer league.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/07/17/lakers-face-uncertain-future-offseason/
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Ok, quick quiz: name the starting center of the Los Angeles Lakers. Next, name the person running the team.

The Lakers are a very proud organization. I know this because I've written lots—at this point, I don't even know how many—of books about the franchise. (Oh, come on now. Shameless self-promotion, to be sure, but a couple of them are actually pretty good.)

Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to see where this sentiment comes from. Since their formation right after World War II, the Lakers have won 18 pro basketball championships—17 in the National Basketball Association, and one in the old National League.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/jim-vs-jeanie-the-sibling-rivalry-thats-undermining-the-los-angeles-lakers

Good article.

Jim is simply out of his league and has clearly made decisions which has led to the current status of this team.

Especially his comment that it is his dad's fault for hiring MDA is a JOKE.

Jeannie is not much better too.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Good article.

laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: If that is the case, they must act as adults

The best thing is for the both of them so get out of the basketball operations.
In fact all the family get out of running the basketball team. They have the right to remain owners, but they own it to the Lakers fans to put out the best product.

There should be no pressure on anyone to build quickly, making mistakes that cannot be undone for years. They ALREADY have. Refer to the article above.

Huge mistakes were made due to egos.

The article is unfortunately right on the money.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

The article is right, yes. But shouln't these kind of articles also tell us something new?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Good article.

Jim is simply out of his league and has clearly made decisions which has led to the current status of this team.

If this line is correct "Not surprisingly, much of the sibling struggle has come over Jim's attempts at replacing Jackson.", then Jeannie needs to go now if not yesterday. Basing the future and fortunes of this franchise on her romantic affairs is unforgivable. I just hope it isn't true. And I always thought that Jeannie was the driving force in hiring Byron, sounds like I was correct.

As for Jim, he is doing what he needs to do, listening to Mitch. I am not sure how the idea that Jim is behind the scenes pulling strings gets so much traction. Actually I do, soap operas sell.
DB8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
The article is right, yes. But shouln't these kind of articles also tell us something new?

I don't think the article went far enough.

We all know that owning a sports franchise major ego rush and there in lies the problem. For Jennie and Jimmy to give up the spotlight and the glory will be almost impossible and regardless of how incompetent they are at running the Laker's their egos will never allow them to be honest about their abilities and failures.

Their first mistake was thinking or believing they "themselves" had the talent to run this business. The second was to put family members in positions wherein they had little or no expertise while assuming the position would be easy to manage. " The ignorant don't know their ignorant" should be the title of the next story about Laker management. If I was a minority owner I would file suit to force all Buss kids out of any and all organizational decisions.

I ask this question: What NBA franchise would hire any of the Buss kids to perform the jobs they current have with the Lakes or any job for that matter? Maybe Jennie as head social butterfly but that's it.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Good article.

Its really a simple prescription:

Quote:

Hire a top basketball mind to make the expert decisions, rehire the scouting staff that Jim unceremoniously dumped when he took over, and give the organization a real chance to reclaim its former glory.

I think the most common mistake I see many of Jim's supporters say is he is taking over for Jerry Buss. Except Jerry never ran the business side as the VP of Operations. Jerry was a shrewd man because he hired the right experts and let them run the business. Jimmy is doing what many spoiled brat's do, try to prove their worth. Except he did not put in the work, 50 yrs in jockey training will not make you Jerry West.

Whether anyone admits this or not, Mitch has essentially been demoted and Jimmy has taken the Jerry West role to prove he can succeed on one thing in his life. He is, and always has been, grossly out of touch with reality. Being silver-spooned your entire 55yrs of existence, he has neither the business acumen nor the hunger (r). 70% of 2nd businesses fail for these 2 reasons.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

You could not be farther from the truth than you are in that post.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

"Rehire the scouting staff that Jim unceremoniously dumped when he took over."

This is the one move that should have flagged the confirmation that Jim was going to be disaster. Sure, because of Jerry a lot of us were rooting for the Buss kids to make it.

But when I hear Mitch say, "Well, we're a team and I pass along proposed changes to Jim and he does to me," I can't get it out of my head that there are at minimum 5,000 people who could do what Jim Buss does. He's nothing special. He needs to be the very last of the last fail safes on a move that might effect the team in some impactful way.

But in the final analysis, he needs to unlock the handcuffs from Mitch and let him take over as if it was all his. This is getting to the point of no return.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Mitch has more power now than he did when Dr Buss was alive.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

What? 70% of 2nd gen business dont fail?

I know you have been a staunch Jim Buss protector and have made excuses or scapegoated every one of his mistakes to someone else. You have also attacked Jeanie at every chance to pin the bball issues at her footstep. Its almost as if Jimmy created an account himself in LG. I have great respect for Jerry for what he has done for LA. But if you dont see how the Buss kids are running a legendary sports franchise to the ground you need to just go up north and look at the the 49ers franchise after they dumped Walsh (eerily similar to West and Lakers).

Last edited by 67ShelbyGT on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

And you know this how??
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What? 70% of 2nd business dont fail?

I know you have been a staunch Jim Buss protector and have made excuses or scapegoated every one of his mistakes to someone else. You have also attacked Jeanie at every chance to pin the bball issues at her footstep. Its almost as if Jimmy created an account himself in LG. I have great respect for Jerry for what he has done for LA. But if you dont see how the Buss kids are running a legendary sports franchise to the ground you need to just go up north and look at the the 49ers franchise after they dumped Walsh (eerily similar to West and Lakers).

I have heard that Bill Walsh was not ready to retire. I have never heard he was forced out and I'm not disputing you. Can you relay the story about how he was forced out?

If he was, I find it interesting due to Jed York's forcing out Harbaugh.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Btw, I know many have said Lazenby is Phil's mouthpiece (and I agree with some of it), this article is one of the more even handed takes written. He did not make either one of the Buss kids look good. He attacked Jeanie just as bad so Phil could not have pulled the strings on this.

Good article. Even if you buy the bs that Jimmy is hands off like his dad was, what does he really add to the FO really? He cant close a FA like his dad used to. He does not have track record of success in any business (unlike his dad and real estate). He has no prior management or business experience. From many accounts, he is absentee in many aspects yet he makes the final decision?

Mitch says all the right things to toe the company line. He likes his job and wants to keep it. Too often, he looks like the token president in nations where Prime Ministers run the nation. Jerry West took a big shot at our FO talking about the great autonomy and dissenting voices that the ownership allow in Oakland.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

On a related note:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/dont-rub-joey-crawfords-head-and-more-lessons-from-vegas-summer-league/

Quote:

1. Jeanie Buss is probably playing chess

There were a lot of great Lakers stories in Vegas — D’Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, the army of fans who treated these meaningless games like playoff clashes — but the most interesting subplot that came up over and over again was this: What is Jeanie Buss doing? With all her proclamations about landing marquee free agents and contending for titles, she’s either straitjacket crazy or playing a different game entirely.

Once the team lost the chance to trade for DeMarcus Cousins, the Lakers never had a real shot at LaMarcus Aldridge. They never had a shot at Carmelo last summer, either. Yet in both cases, there was so much hype coming from the franchise itself about how good their chances were. Likewise, it’s at least a little suspicious that a team known for pulling off blockbusters in the shadows has recently become the leakiest organization in the league. It made for some fun conversations all week: Who stands to gain from creating ridiculous expectations among fans only to have it all fall apart in the most embarrassing way possible, over and over again?

Quote:
SportsCenter ✔@SportsCenter
Lakers president Jeanie Buss says team needs to make deep run within 3 years or her brother Jim will step down.

And then, the best question: If Jeanie Buss takes over, how long will it take for her to steal Phil Jackson from the Knicks to come help out?
Corso
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Good article.

If this line is correct "Not surprisingly, much of the sibling struggle has come over Jim's attempts at replacing Jackson.", then Jeannie needs to go now if not yesterday. Basing the future and fortunes of this franchise on her romantic affairs is unforgivable. I just hope it isn't true. And I always thought that Jeannie was the driving force in hiring Byron, sounds like I was correct.

As for Jim, he is doing what he needs to do, listening to Mitch. I am not sure how the idea that Jim is behind the scenes pulling strings gets so much traction. Actually I do, soap operas sell.

You are so right. I don't really pretend to know how much influence Jeannie has on personnel moves as she has always been pretty vocal that she's clueless in that department and leaves it to Jim and Mitch to do that heavy lifting, but it sure looks like she's doing more. One way or another.

This team needs to shut it and let Mitch show his mettle. I agree with you in that if Mitch says "this needs to be done", Jim will move try to move mountains to assist him. Other than Phil- I don't think Jim is trying to run things. I do believe he defers to Mitch on personnel and their acquisition.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What? 70% of 2nd gen business dont fail?

That Mitch got demoted. He is leaned on more now than he was when Dr Buss was alive. And the Lakers are far from failing.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Good article.

This is not Jeanie or Jim; its both of them. None had the knowledge to
Run the Lakers.

The Buss kids would help themselves by hiring some real talent to run the Lakers. The mess they project toward players and the league is awful.

The check will be in the mail anyway.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And you know this how??

Let's just say that I am not the only one here who knows this. With Dr Buss it was Mitch and Jim making plans and deals. With Jim playing the part of owner now, Mitch is making decisions, much as West did with Dr Buss. Pretty good decisions at that.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Well, Brasi confirmed as much as few weeks ago.

Both of these "kids" need to settle their differences and work together. I had no idea Jeannie didnt even meet with Dantoni

thats teen-like behavior
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: