Lakers In The News 7/14/15 & 7/15/2015: Robert Upshaw plans to meet with Mitch Kupchak Thursday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Lakers In The News 7/14/15 & 7/15/2015: Robert Upshaw plans to meet with Mitch Kupchak Thursday

Lakers Summer League: D'Angelo Russell needs time to adjust
By Drew Garrison  @DrewGarrisonSBN on Jul 14, 2015, 9:13a 27

Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports
D'Angelo Russell isn't lighting up the stat sheets or highlights, but it will all come together in due time for the ultra-talented guard.

LAS VEGAS -- D'Angelo Russell hasn't had that moment yet. The Los Angeles Lakers' new franchise point guard has shown flashes of his brilliant balling, but he's yet to take over a game with his supreme talent. Instead, he's working hard to adjust to the next level of competition, alongside teammates he's practiced with only a handful of times, surrounded by an Internet culture that thirsts for instant gratification. Russell's own patience might be what's being tested the most during Summer League, though.

"Every game matters to me, and me being competitive, I forget that it's just Summer League," D'Angelo said about his first taste of NBA competition.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/7/14/8957951/la-lakers-dangelo-russell-summer-league-analysis

Last edited by Cha*n on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:47 pm; edited 6 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

Laker Kids Randle, Russell Pushing Too Hard in Eagerness to Be Great
By Kevin Ding , NBA Senior Writer Jul 14, 2015

LAS VEGAS — If there was any doubt that Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell sensed the excitement around them from the Los Angeles Lakers and their fanbase, listen to them articulate the pressure and disappointment they felt Monday night.

Randle: "Everything starts with me. I've got to be better. End of story."

Russell: "Every game matters to me. And me being competitive, I forget it's just summer league. I'm trying to get better so fast instead of being patient and letting it come to me."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2522484-laker-kids-randle-russell-pushing-too-hard-in-eagerness-to-be-great

Last edited by Cha*n on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

NBA Rumors – Los Angeles Lakers & New York Knicks Won’t be Terrible Forever
Posted on 14 Jul, 2015, by Greg in NBA

While the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers have looked terrible over the last two years and won’t make the playoffs again this season, this drought in wins and success won’t last forever. There’s a light for both franchises at the end of the tunnel.

The Knicks and Lakers aren’t similar franchises. They both represent the biggest TV markets in the United States, but that’s it. The Knicks have two championships. The Lakers have 16. While the Knicks’ run of 14 consecutive playoff appearances, including two NBA finals and three more conference finals (1988-2001) is almost like a golden era for them, the standards for success are different for the Lakers. They’ve missed the playoffs two years in a row, something that hasn’t happened to the team since the mid 1970’s.

http://sportige.com/81469-nba-rumors-los-angeles-lakers-new-york-knicks-wont-be-terrible-forever/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Well the L.A. Times is playing hard ball again. I can't copy and paste or even read the paper, not anything as I'm not a subscriber. They don't even sell the Times in my area. If you are a subscriber you can use the link.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83989959/

ALSO:

I will be taking a vacation to China in a few days for a few weeks. I am doubtful about internet where I'm going, China's National Parks. It'll be a slow time for the news expect for possible trades. I'll be back.

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Have great time
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

I expect randle and Russell to improve dramatically when it's time for preseason. They both have shown signs of brilliance. The chemistry isn't great right now. But I think they'll figure it out. Those guys just need to practice with eachother more. Perhaps hang out with eachother more too to develop that chemistry.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Well the L.A. Times is playing hard ball again. I can't copy and paste or even read the paper, not anything as I'm not a subscriber. They don't even sell the Times in my area. If you are a subscriber you can use the link.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83989959/

ALSO:

I will be taking a vacation to China in a few days for a few weeks. I am doubtful about internet where I'm going, China's National Parks. It'll be a slow time for the news expect for possible trades. I'll be back.

Enjoy your vacation!! You will be missed!!

Anyone that has a subscription to the LA Times can you share what they said? It seems other articles have been understanding that it'll take more time for Russell and Randle to get better. They say they both want to do well and that makes them push too hard. I bet our own paper is trashing us...I hope I'm wrong.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Chronicle and kobe_luver I will go 7/21 and spend a few weeks. I hope I can get on the internet but I'll be hiking and out in the country most of the time. I will miss LG and all LGer's

More news:

Clarkson calls PH visit 'life-changing'

By Bev Llorente, ABS-CBN North America News Bureau
Posted at 07/14/2015 5:54 PM | Updated as of 07/14/2015 5:58 PM
LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Each time the Los Angeles Lakers play here, Filipino fans from all over the US fill the arena just to watch the favorite players. Most of all, they want to see Jordan Clarkson.

“I really wanna see his energy and jumpshots, and stuff like that,” said Filipino-American Ashley Francisco.

“This league is a springboard for his career, to help him grow as a player,” said Lakers fan Ryan Vital.

Some of the fans come in complete costume. They line up even before the end of the game just to meet Clarkson.

Clarkson’s family is pleased by the warm reception they have been receiving from Filipino fans.

“It’s very humbling for us as a Filipino family. He is really taken to the Filipino culture and you know the children of the Philippines, it was a phenomenal visit there. They say he is a superstar. He is not a superstar to us but he is actually a superstar to the kids in the Philippines and I’m sure he is a role model as well,” said Clarkson’s father, Mike.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07/14/15/clarkson-calls-ph-visit-life-changing
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

How the Lakers Can Salvage Their Summer League Experience

by Hannah Kulik 1h ago

Summer League or not, after Monday night’s horrific performance it would be easy for even the most die-hard Laker fans to panic. If we thought the team looked disorganized and played poorly in the first two games, it was nothing compared to the awful display they put on in game three. When was the last time a Summer League team was booed? Last week we could not wait for the games to begin. The stands were overflowing with fans hoping to see a glimpse of the Lakers’ bright future, one in which energetic young players with enormous talent would dominate and in so doing offer us hope that the team could contend for a playoff spot as early as next season. Four days later it all seems like a bad dream.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/07/14/how-the-lakers-can-salvage-their-summer-league-experience/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Well the L.A. Times is playing hard ball again. I can't copy and paste or even read the paper...

This time, the Lakers kids aren't all right, and that's a concern
Bill Plaschke - Los Angeles Times

They lined up dozens deep for tickets in the searing heat, filled the lower bowl of the Thomas & Mack Center with purple and gold, even chanted for Larry Nance Jr. in the pause before the national anthem.

For the thousands of Lakers fans attending their team's third summer league game Monday, it was another night of hope in the desert, another glimpse of promise amid the tumbleweeds, one more chance to believe that this awful off-season has the ingredients to quickly grow into something lush.

Ten minutes later, that earth was scorched with reality.

Boooo.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-plaschke-20150714-column.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Summer League: The ups and downs of Robert Upshaw in Las Vegas

By Harrison Faigen  @hmfaigen on Jul 13, 2015, 11:24p 26

Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports

How has the much hyped undrafted free agent performed through the first leg of Summer League?

LAS VEGAS -- The Los Angeles Lakers came to Las Vegas to gamble on Robert Upshaw's potential, and so far they're just beating the house. Over three games in Vegas, Upshaw has demonstrated both the tantalizing length and shot-altering abilities that originally had him slotted into many mock drafts as a lottery pick; mixed in with reminders that he is still a raw player.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/7/13/8955373/la-lakers-robert-upshaw-summer-league
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Well the L.A. Times is playing hard ball again. I can't copy and paste or even read the paper...

They lined up dozens deep for tickets in the searing heat, filled the lower bowl of the Thomas & Mack Center with purple and gold, even chanted for Larry Nance Jr. in the pause before the national anthem.

For the thousands of Lakers fans attending their team's third summer league game Monday, it was another night of hope in the desert, another glimpse of promise amid the tumbleweeds, one more chance to believe that this awful off-season has the ingredients to quickly grow into something lush.

Boooo.

Thank you lakersfreak
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers news: Clarkson fighting for his spot

Staff writer

Tuesday, July 14 2015

Feb 22, 2015; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Boston Celtics center Brandon Bass (30) defends a pass by Los Angeles Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson (6) during the first half of the game at Staples Center.REUTERS/Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY

With new names and faces arriving in Los Angeles as a part of the Lakers' rebuilding team, will last year's breakout player Jordan Clarkson's growth be stunted?

The previous season was a forgettable one for the Lakers and their fans. They finished the regular season with a 21-61 record to finish with the fourth lowest record behind the Philadelphia 76ers, New York Knicks and the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Kobe Bryant was out for most of the campaign after suffering a season-ending injury which left the Lakers looking for a definitive leader.

However, one player started to stand out for the team — it was rookie Jordan Clarkson.

Picked 46th overall by the Washington Wizards, Clarkson was traded to the Lakers and started his career in the D-League.

With Jeremy Lin clearly struggling and the Lakers missing players, he was recalled and is now trying to establish his name as the top guard for Los Angeles.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/los-angeles-lakers-news-clarkson-fighting-for-his-spot-31577
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Multiple reports of this:

Report: With no trade market for him, Lakers to keep Nick Young (for now)

Kurt Helin
Jul 14, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT

The Lakers shopped Nick Young around. Starting at the draft and through free agency, as they tried to reshape their roster Young was made available to anyone and everyone.

He’s still a Laker, and it’s going to stay that way for a while, reports Bill Oram of the Orange County Register.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/14/report-with-no-trade-market-for-him-lakers-to-keep-nick-young-for-now/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Report: Lakers Have ‘No Plans’ to Trade Nick Young

July 14, 2015
Comments
By SLAM Staff  

When the Lakers signed Lou Williams to add to a rotation that already includes Nick Young, Kobe Bryant, Jordan Clarkson and whoever else the Lakers put on their roster in the backcourt, most thought that might be the end of Swaggy P’s time in Los Angeles.

As recently as last week reports said the Lakers might be ready to unload Young. But according to Bill Oram of the OC Register, the Lakers shopped Young a little bit back when they needed cap space for a potential LaMarcus Aldridge signing, but with that fantasy in the rearview, LA has “no plans” to deal Swaggy.

Read more at http://www.slamonline.com/nba/report-lakers-have-no-plans-to-trade-nick-young/#wDb8qJGJV4At8z95.99
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

WATCH: Julius Randle expresses frustration after NBA summer league loss

Updated: Tue 3:07 PM, Jul 14, 2015
Home / Sports / Headlines List / Article

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - After a 76-66 loss Monday night against the New York Knicks, the Los Angeles Lakers showed multiple signs of frustration after the game.

None more so than former Wildcat Julius Randle.

Noticeably upset, Randle admitted to being frustrated after playing restricted minutes. He told reporters that it's hard to get a rhythm back when your playing 5-minute stretches.

According to NBA.com, Randle played just under a total of 19 minutes.

The power forward also told reporters that he has to be better while on the court.

"It starts with me, I have to get it going," Randle said. "I then have to get my teammates going."

According to NBA.com, Randle finished two for eight from the field with seven total points in last nights loss.

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/Julius-Randle-expresses-frustration-after-NBA-summer-league-loss-315019181.html
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Can Bill Plaschke be more of a tool? He writes that steaming pile of you know what after the third summer league game?! Really??!!

The once proud sports page of Jim Murray, since reduced to utter nothingness...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Have fun, Cha*n! Just got back from being disconnected from everything on a hike myself.
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Cha*n wrote:

Enjoy your vacation!! You will be missed!!

ditto
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

BRING BACK PRESENTS!

!...
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Cha*n wrote:

Boooo.

Thanks lakersfreak

I knew LA Times would be a hatchet piece (unless it was by Pincus)! All the other articles by outside reporters have been pretty understanding about our early SL struggles.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:

That sounds exciting. Hope you have a terrific time!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
BRING BACK PRESENTS!

What would you like City_Dawg?

Thank you all and I will have a great time. China's National Parks are beautiful.

to all
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakers plan staff move to beef up analytics operation
July 14, 2015 Updated 5:58 p.m.
BY BILL ORAM / STAFF WRITER

LAS VEGAS – Lakers executives have long defended their use of advanced statistics, disputing the public perception that the 16-time NBA champions are behind the times.

The organization, however, is taking steps to strengthen the analytics side of things, with plans to create a position for a staff member to facilitate better communication between the basketball staff and those crunching the numbers.

Assistant coach and advance scout Clay Moser is expected to transition from the bench to the front office in a sort of liaison position, which previously did not exist within the organization. A team spokesman confirmed Monday that the move is in the works.

The responsibilities of the role have been among those heaped upon assistant coach Mark Madsen. The plan with Moser, however, is to facilitate a pipeline of ideas with a basketball person in the front office.

Moser has been with the Lakers since 2011,

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/operation-671640-coach-plan.html
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Can Bill Plaschke be more of a tool? He writes that steaming pile of you know what after the third summer league game?! Really??!!

The once proud sports page of Jim Murray, since reduced to utter nothingness...

It is ridiculous but so is most everything knee jerk reaction guy Plaschke writes.

At least they can say they have been baptized by the press now and it isn't even August.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: