2016 Draft/Prospects (if we lose our PHX pick this year)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: 2016 Draft/Prospects (if we lose our PHX pick this year)

If we don't keep our pick this year, then we have full rights to our first rounder next year.
Here's my premature,overly assumptive mock for 2016. I'm excited.

1) Thon Maker(Pf) 7'0'' Fresh. - Thon is likely to reclassify to be eligible for this 2016 draft. Kid reminds people of a PF version of Kevin Durant. Also a great shot blocker. Reminds me of a young KG
. Probably the most highly touted prospect in the nation, any age.

2) Myles Turner (C) 7'0'' - Sophmore, Texas. Many scouts believe Myles will stay for his sophomore season - because his body is just not ready for NBA play in the paint. He was pushed around by Kentucky's bigs last week, manhandled.

3)Diamond Stone (C) 6'11" Fresh. - Compares to Demarcus Cousins. http://vimeo.com/114315460 . He's choosing between Maryland, Duke, Wisconson, OKState, UConn. He looks amazing this season. He's more explosive; supposedly grown from 6'10 to 7'0. He's wide in a Boogie Cousins way, wider than Okafor. Kid still manages to look slim with his shirt off. Doesn't have advanced post moves, he just bullies kids. Can shoot.

4) Jaylen Brown (Sf) 6'8" Fresh. No.1 Senior in High School/ No.1 on Draft Express 2016 mock.
Freak athlete almost in Wiggins territory. Better ball handler than Wiggins was/is. Decent shooter.
2nd half shows some ball handling. - No clue where he'll be going to school. He's this years 6'8 freak athlete SF - we get one a year now. Wiggins two years ago, Stanley this past year. I like this kids Offense more than both of those guys.

5) Ben Simmons (Sf/Pf) 6'9" Fresh. No.1 in ESPNs 100 recruits. Australian, playing his Sr. season in America i believe.

He's this years Sf-Pf tweener. Very good athlete, not as skilled as Jabari was. He'll be attending LSU.

6)Malik Newman (Sg/Pg) 6'3" Fresh.

Compares to Monta Ellis. Improved to a freak athlete ; elite handle. Good shooter. Short Wingpsan, Scouts aren't sure he's long enough to play SG in the NBA. People think Mudiay is explosive ; this guy shows Mudiay up.
Special player. He's undecided on where to attend school.

7)Cliff Alexander (Pf) 6'9" Soph. KU -- I don't think he's going to get the playing time and hype that he wants, in order to enter the 2015 draft. He was the #2 HS recruit, and after his freshman campaign, he'd only go late lotto. I think he stays for his sophomore season.

8)Kelly Oubre (Sf) 6'7" Soph. KU -- Same deal as Alexander. Don't think he'll enter the 2015 draft.

9)Amida Brimah (C) 7'0" Jr. UConn -- Rim Protector with 18foot Jumper potential. 7'6" wingpsan.

10)Malik Pope (Sf/Pf) 6'10" Soph. SDSU --
Kid has grown to 6'10. He's on no draft radar. Broke his leg twice in HS, probably because he chose to let his break heal naturally the first time. Based on his highschool play, he's the closest thing I've seen to #35 in OKC. He's a freshman at SDSU now,not getting much playing time through 5 games, due to just being fully recovered from his broken leg. They have him playing Pf and sometimes Center. https://vine.co/v/OXPTDLlTM5Q stepback 3 for SDSU . https://vine.co/v/OXUdwKlJgqz

11)Dragan Bender (Sf/Pf) 6'11" Croatia. Right now he doesn't have all the speed/quickness to play Sf in the NBA. But he can get there. Game is very raw, he's not aggressive. Not sure if he'll enter the 2016 draft, but he's 15 on DX mock.

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Draft/Prospects (if we lose our PHX pick this year)

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
If we don't keep our pick this year, then we have full rights to our first rounder next year.
Here's my premature,overly assumptive mock for 2016. I'm excited. Our pick will probably be in the 8-12 range, IMO.

1) Thon Maker(Pf) 7'0'' Fresh. - Thon is likely to reclassify to be eligible for this 2016 draft. Kid reminds people of a PF version of Kevin Durant. Also a great shot blocker. Reminds me of a young KG
. Probably the most highly touted prospect in the nation, any age.

2) Myles Turner (C) 7'0'' - Sophmore, Texas. Many scouts believe Myles will stay for his sophomore season - because his body is just not ready for NBA play in the paint. He was pushed around by Kentucky's bigs last week, manhandled.

3)Diamond Stone (C) 6'11" Fresh. - Compares to Demarcus Cousins. http://vimeo.com/114315460 . He's choosing between Maryland, Duke, Wisconson, OKState, UConn. He looks amazing this season. He's more explosive; supposedly grown from 6'10 to 7'0. He's wide in a Boogie Cousins way, wider than Okafor. Kid still manages to look slim with his shirt off. Doesn't have advanced post moves, he just bullies kids. Can shoot.

4) Jaylen Brown (Sf) 6'8" Fresh. No.1 Senior in High School/ No.1 on Draft Express 2016 mock.
Freak athlete almost in Wiggins territory. Better ball handler than Wiggins was/is. Decent shooter.
2nd half shows some ball handling. - No clue where he'll be going to school. He's this years 6'8 freak athlete SF - we get one a year now. Wiggins two years ago, Stanley this past year. I like this kids Offense more than both of those guys.

5) Ben Simmons (Sf/Pf) 6'9" Fresh. No.1 in ESPNs 100 recruits. Australian, playing his Sr. season in America i believe.

He's this years Sf-Pf tweener. Very good athlete, not as skilled as Jabari was. He'll be attending LSU.

6)Jaylen Brown (Sg/Pg) 6'3" Fresh.

Compares to Monta Ellis. Improved to a freak athlete ; elite handle. Good shooter. Short Wingpsan, Scouts aren't sure he's long enough to play SG in the NBA. People think Mudiay is explosive ; this guy shows Mudiay up.
Special player. He's undecided on where to attend school.

7)Cliff Alexander (Pf) 6'9" Soph. KU -- I don't think he's going to get the playing time and hype that he wants, in order to enter the 2015 draft. He was the #2 HS recruit, and after his freshman campaign, he'd only go late lotto. I think he stays for his sophomore season.

8)Kelly Oubre (Sf) 6'7" Soph. KU -- Same deal as Alexander. Don't think he'll enter the 2015 draft.

9)Amida Brimah (C) 7'0" Jr. UConn -- Rim Protector with 18foot Jumper potential. 7'6" wingpsan.

10)Malik Pope (Sf/Pf) 6'10" Soph. SDSU --
Kid has grown to 6'10. He's on no draft radar. Broke his leg twice in HS, probably because he chose to let his break heal naturally the first time. Based on his highschool play, he's the closest thing I've seen to #35 in OKC. He's a freshman at SDSU now,not getting much playing time through 5 games, due to just being fully recovered from his broken leg. They have him playing Pf and sometimes Center.

11)Dragan Bender (Sf/Pf) 6'11" Croatia. Right now he doesn't have all the speed/quickness to play Sf in the NBA. But he can get there. Game is very raw, he's not aggressive. Not sure if he'll enter the 2016 draft, but he's 15 on DX mock.

After watching a few mix tapes of Ben Simmons I would take him over everyone I'm this draft! I'm kinda hoping we lose our pick this year! (I'm going to get destroyed for saying that) lol. Seriously, the kid is good and he can handle the ball. HIs vision and passing ability are impressive to me.

Thon makers knees bother me. The way that they bend when he takes a jumper scares me but other than that and his skinny body he has all the tools to be a star. I think I would still pick Simmons over him though.

I'm going to see if I can find some game tape of Simmons online and get back to this post later.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't remember KG ever being perimeter oriented as a HS player. Handles? A little bit.

Thon is far more advanced from the perimeter by age.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I don't remember KG ever being perimeter oriented as a HS player. Handles? A little bit.

Ya, see, I'm not old enough to have seen KG in high school, or his first season in the NBA. I do remember KG having a handle, and even playing some point forward occasionally in the NBA.
It's tough finding a comparison for Thon, he's no Kevin Durant off the dribble..
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Draft/Prospects (if we lose our PHX pick this year)

PICKnPOP wrote:

After watching a few mix tapes of Ben Simmons I would take him over everyone I'm this draft! I'm kinda hoping we lose our pick this year! (I'm going to get destroyed for saying that) lol. Seriously, the kid is good and he can handle the ball. HIs vision and passing ability are impressive to me.

Thon makers knees bother me. The way that they bend when he takes a jumper scares me but other than that and his skinny body he has all the tools to be a star. I think I would still pick Simmons over him though.

I'm going to see if I can find some game tape of Simmons online and get back to this post later.

Ah, to each his own ,I'm higher on Stone and Brown in his HS class. And probly Malik Newman too! Simmons is a tweener to me
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Ugh.

Welcome to the internet/twitter age. Players aren't playing as much ball as they used to because the skill level isn't as high.

I only like Thon and Jaylen Brown, but even Jaylen Brown plays like a bigger Shannon Brown.

How weird is it when the 7' guy has the SG handles.

Really tired of watching straight line drivers. I wouldn't even really call these guys elite athletes. I think Wiggins has a notch over them. Prime VC has two notches over them.

Looks like the new level NBA is perimeter bigmen, straightline drivers/finishers, and the PG that does all the playmaking.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Ya, see, I'm not old enough to have seen KG in high school, or his first season in the NBA. I do remember KG having a handle, and even playing some point forward occasionally in the NBA.
It's tough finding a comparison for Thon, he's no Kevin Durant off the dribble..

Thon is more advanced than most, especially for a 7' guy. Durant has some advanced ball-handling, but Thon is ahead of Dirk by age.

I see Thon and he's a mix of both. A bit mechanical in his movements, but Durant-like with his jumpshot, how he creates it, and basic ball-handling situations in transition and halfcourt.

Worst case is a 7' Loul Deng.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Ugh.

Welcome to the internet/twitter age. Players aren't playing as much ball as they used to because the skill level isn't as high.

I only like Thon and Jaylen Brown, but even Jaylen Brown plays like a bigger Shannon Brown.

How weird is it when the 7' guy has the SG handles.

Really tired of watching straight line drivers. I wouldn't even really call these guys elite athletes. I think Wiggins has a notch over them. Prime VC has two notches over them.

Looks like the new level NBA is perimeter bigmen, straightline drivers/finishers, and the PG that does all the playmaking.

I'm huge on handles too; like you hate straight line drivers. Lack of a good handle is killing a lot of wing prospects turned nba players these days. MKG, Macklamore, Shabazz. whether it's super highly touted HS prospects,or top picks - they're failing because they lack a handle. Wiggins, would be so much better with a handle. He has to operate strictly from the high post because he can't operate from the 3point line with no handle - and people wondered why he was "passive" in college -- he just wasn't skilled enough to eat on the wing.
Look at Wes. Horrible career, no handle. decent jumper and Defense though, and a freak athlete. yea, I never was impressed with this skillset. I like players who can handle/create. those are the scorers in this league.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers won't be bad enough to get any of the top prospects next year. The 76ers, Knicks, Pistons, Celtics, Wolves and Jazz will be in a worst position then we'll be in. I like Thon and Brown, but those guys will be gone before we pick. Randle will be back and we'll probably sign Rondo and a mid tier FA. I think next year team wins close to 40 games which would put us in the 10 - 14 range. Hopefully we keep our pick this year because I'm not that impressed with next years draft.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Ok, well after watching Simmons get schooled by Karl towns, I've decided that he's definately an NBA 4. He passes pretty well out of the post and has some point forward potential but he struggles finishing around the basket and through contact. Not as high on him anymore. Next I will look for some full game footage on maker. Is Malik the kid who had the crazy handle a few years ago? If so did he grow?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
http://youtu.be/BX7rwjlme_U

Ok, well after watching Simmons get schooled by Karl towns, I've decided that he's definately an NBA 4. He passes pretty well out of the post and has some point forward potential but he struggles finishing around the basket and through contact. Not as high on him anymore. Next I will look for some full game footage on maker. Is Malik the kid who had the crazy handle a few years ago? If so did he grow?

Ya that's probably Malik Newman. he's almost 6'4 and a crazy athlete now
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Simmons is too slow to play SF, not strong enough to play PF. This draft class is probably worse then last years. Thon Maker and Brown are really the only two, this class not worth tanking for because of the east tankers.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject:

wow, imagine how bad teams are going to be tanking next season for Thon Maker. Its going to get ugly because players like him don't come along very often. Whatever team ends up with him is going to go from bottom dweller to relevant in a hurry. People will pay to see a 7 footer dance around the peremeter like a guard on one end and swat shots from the weak side on the other.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

This is the only thibg close to full game footage I could find on Thon mAker. has anyone else found anything on him? He's definately shouldn't be anywhere near the post in the NBA but he's something special with the ball in his hands and from the peremeter. How do you build around a guy like this?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
http://youtu.be/jEbzUy1upJ0

This is the only thibg close to full game footage I could find on Thon mAker. has anyone else found anything on him? He's definately shouldn't be anywhere near the post in the NBA but he's something special with the ball in his hands and from the peremeter. How do you build around a guy like this?

Personnel wise, I think similar to how you'd build around A.D.

This guy could be AMAZING in pick n pop though
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
http://youtu.be/jEbzUy1upJ0

Start him at SF, then as he bulks up, put him at PF.

Put him on the weakest perimeter player initially. Have him be the team rotation for the swat/board in the paint every time.

Then transition him to the weakest post player on defense. Average man-defender, but could be a great team defender.

Then have him use his length and offensive skills to wreck shop on the offensive end.

Offensive end, dude needs a point guard and a post player. Thon is happy to create shots from mid-range, and that's important. That means someone else on the team has to be an elite 3-pt shooter or post player to even out the spacing on the offensive end.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm very intrigued by this kid. If you start this kid out playing on the wing he's going to be a problem offensively. He's shooting over everyone lol

This might sound crazy but what about putting him at pg. Nobody can stop these speedy PGs anyway so it couldn't really hurt. Maker can't rebound, defend the post or stay in front of an NBA wing but I bet he could cover enough ground with his length to sag off these NBA PGs. Sag off of them and force them to shoot...maker looks like he can cover a lot of ground and fast...I think he could effectively alter thier shot while not giving up the driving lane.

Last edited by PICKnPOP on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I'm very intrigued by this kid. If you start this kid out playing on the wing he's going to be a problem offensively. He's shooting over everyone lol

I don't think he has Durant's 7'5" wingspan.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Nice to know he works in his post game.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I don't think he has Durant's 7'5" wingspan.

His arms still look pretty long. I'm sure they are at least 7'3. It would be a pretty big disappointment if he has a 7 foot wingspan at his size.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have any insight on this Tacko kid? He dunks everything and it looks so effortless. It's almost cheating was Yao really 7'6 because I don't remember him dunking as easily as this kid.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Last few seconds of the video...he doesn't even need to jump to dunk...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I would wait to see how Thon's ball handling translates against better competition. He's put the ball on the floor much less vs. the highgest highscool comp. I've seen Gordon, Vonleh, and Wiggins Ball handling all regress from their poor high school competition - I'm going out on a limb here thinking its the case w/Thon, but I've seen it time and time again. So I think he's a PF in the NBA, strictly. Still a good ball handler, and will take advantage of PFs off the dribble ; but not a wing level ball handler able to get buckets against wings with it. (The handle might be adquate enough to play SF, but to get buckets, i don't think so)
All of other players i mentioned were like Thon, point-forwards in highschool.

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

So are we going to be a lottery team again next year?

I'm tired of all this losing.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
So are we going to be a lottery team again next year?

I'm tired of all this losing.

I think we will be a bad team but it's just fun to call it tanking. Makes us feel a little better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: