The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1505, 1506, 1507 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

We all knew how good Randle was/is. None of this should be a surprise.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
If Julius had been two inches taller or showed signs of a reliable midrange and three ball, we would have paid him. If he develops this four years after the fact, it will be tragic for us, but it still was the right call.

We have LBJ, Ingram, and Kuzma at the four and he's not big enough to play center. Most good forwards would flourish playing next to AD and even Mirotic drawing away defense inside.

I said I wanted Sabonis over Julius and even after today, I think that was the right call.

Did you even watch the game? That isn't why he played well. Aside from the two threes he hit, he did all the same stuff he did last year. Stop trying to rob him of credit after having an excellent game.

And he may not have the size of a traditional C, but he has Juggernaut strength and can bang with anyone in the paint. Look at the guy that GS is starting at C. He doesn't have the traditional size either. The pace the Lakers could've played with Randle at C would've been ridiculous.

Julius looked good and I would have signed him at the deal NO gave him had we not had the inside track on a KD or Kawhi level player.

I'm also not happy we didn't sign another center.

However, he wanted money and instead of holding him hostage we let him go at his request.

I've said on this site if he develops the midrange or the 3, he becomes a max level player. Unfortunately for him and possibly for us... we couldn't take the gamble when we had a bird or possibly two in the hand.

Julius will always be able to score inside but I don't think I'm out of line saying that with Mirotic shooting like Curry and AD being AD that he had a free run at the rim.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Somewhere out there on penguinground.net, some drunk New Orleans fan is doing a “quotes from the other side” with this thread. Hey A-hole, I see you!
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Practice wrote:
MJST wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Judah wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
one of the dumbest move getting rid of randle

'We wanted to get guys who are tough. We wanna play even faster than we did last year.'

Yeah, I can see how he wouldn't have fit with that vision at all...

But I'm happy that he's now with a franchise that actually appreciates him. He's up to 17 points in the first half.

They didn't "get rid of him". He didn't want to come back..

He was a RESTRICTED Free Agent. He didn't choose to not be on the team this year.

Ramona said that he asked to be renounced.

And that's why this is our front office's blunder.

There's no reason why they should have given in, especially since they got nothing back in return. Not even his agent's good graces - Mintz hates us, couldn't even get a PG meeting for us. There was literally no upside to this for the Lakers when Magilinka were holding all the cards. They just folded.

https://clutchpoints.com/pelicans-news-julius-randle-turned-down-more-lucrative-offers-to-sign-with-new-orleans/

According to this he turned down better offers. The Lakers had roster moves to make also. Randles cap hold factored in those. why play hardball if hes coming back with a deal you cant match. Everybody here knows the long game. Signing him long term means no max in 2019. I'm sure part of the pitch to Lebron signing was bringing in a max in 2019
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Judah wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
If Julius had been two inches taller or showed signs of a reliable midrange and three ball, we would have paid him. If he develops this four years after the fact, it will be tragic for us, but it still was the right call.

We have LBJ, Ingram, and Kuzma at the four and he's not big enough to play center. Most good forwards would flourish playing next to AD and even Mirotic drawing away defense inside.

I said I wanted Sabonis over Julius and even after today, I think that was the right call.

Did you even watch the game? That isn't why he played well. Aside from the two threes he hit, he did all the same stuff he did last year. Stop trying to rob him of credit after having an excellent game.

And he may not have the size of a traditional C, but he has Juggernaut strength and can bang with anyone in the paint. Look at the guy that GS is starting at C. He doesn't have the traditional size either. The pace the Lakers could've played with Randle at C would've been ridiculous.

Julius looked good and I would have signed him at the deal NO gave him had we not had the inside track on a KD or Kawhi level player.

However, he wanted money and instead of holding him hostage we let him go at his request.

I've said on this site if he develops the midrange or the 3, he becomes a max level player. Unfortunately for him and possibly for us... we couldn't take the gamble when we had a bird or possibly two in the hand.

Julius will always be able to score inside but I don't think I'm out of line saying that with Mirotic shooting like Curry and AD being AD that he had a free run at the rim.

So why did he have so many games like this one last season then?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Practice wrote:
MJST wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Judah wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
one of the dumbest move getting rid of randle

'We wanted to get guys who are tough. We wanna play even faster than we did last year.'

Yeah, I can see how he wouldn't have fit with that vision at all...

But I'm happy that he's now with a franchise that actually appreciates him. He's up to 17 points in the first half.

They didn't "get rid of him". He didn't want to come back..

He was a RESTRICTED Free Agent. He didn't choose to not be on the team this year.

Ramona said that he asked to be renounced.

And that's why this is our front office's blunder.

There's no reason why they should have given in, especially since they got nothing back in return. Not even his agent's good graces - Mintz hates us, couldn't even get a PG meeting for us. There was literally no upside to this for the Lakers when Magilinka were holding all the cards. They just folded.

https://clutchpoints.com/pelicans-news-julius-randle-turned-down-more-lucrative-offers-to-sign-with-new-orleans/

According to this he turned down better offers. The Lakers had roster moves to make also. Randles cap hold factored in those. why play hardball if hes coming back with a deal you cant match. Everybody here knows the long game. Signing him long term means no max in 2019. I'm sure part of the pitch to Lebron signing was bringing in a max in 2019

Also came out weeks ago that Randle wanted to return to the Lakers but the team seemed to have already made up their mind before the off-season even began. So you have that too.

Again, the FO's mistake, not Randle's.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Randle was 2/4 from 3 tonight. He shot 33% in the pre-season from three, in the last two pre-season games he took 3 a game. It looks to me like all that offseason work is starting to pay off for him.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Randle was 2/4 from 3 tonight. He shot 33% in the pre-season from three, in the last two pre-season games he took 3 a game. It looks to me like all that offseason work is starting to pay off for him.

Too many times I've read people say that "he'll never be" a good outside / 3 pt shooter. Luke didn't give him a green light so it didn't help his %. Now apparently he has a green light.

One of the misses (2-4) was a half court buzzer beater, and the other went in and out. He was their 3rd highest scorer tonight and got 25.

I'm regretting him being gone because it didn't have to happen. The Lakers could have given him the same qualifying offer they recently gave their 4 young core guys. It seems they don't want a repeat of this past off season so they can retain their players.

Imo, the front office got impatient and didn't properly evaluate what Julius was, is, and will be worth. An old song once said...."this hurts. I mean really hurts."
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I still haven’t recovered and gone back in the lounge regularly. Might as well be “MMAground.net” for me lol

I felt this.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Not surprising and mostly frustrating that we let him go for nothing. I don't think he'll keep up that level of production but he's going to be a valuable piece for the Pels and he's the perfect complement to AD. Glad to see him having a chance to shine there, hope he continues to make the most of it. He's a good dude who plays with emotion and passion, hard to find in a lot of the young players these days. Also was the exact player our Laker squad needs right now. Miss him on this team.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

It was a mistake to let go of the RFA status after having invested so much time into him and when he really put it all together last year. If it had been a year earlier it would be understandable, but not after what he did last year. Lakers will regret this one.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject:

What was the endgame had we kept him as an RFA (assuming market conditions would've allowed it)? He gains UFA status the year after taking the QO.

So, he plays here another year, then likely leaves. The Lakers lose another year's worth of minutes invested in him, minutes that could've been used to develop lineups that will actually be used in the future. If he does well enough to keep him, the catch-22 is he would be less inclined to stay.

One side benefit of letting him walk, if our top 3 2019 targets spurn the P&G like PG in '18, Randle would be more receptive to a sales pitch should our FO approach him hat in hand. That's assuming he does get that elusive jumper in his repertoire.

This past July, keeping Randle possibly leads to McGee signing elsewhere, not to mention the cap hold in place would preclude signing either KCP or Rondo w/ Lance. If Kawhi had been traded here, the Lakers get their 2nd targeted star, and stringing Randle along another year may have been worth it. Since Kawhi wasn't dealt here, and Randle isn't our first priority in 2019, it was wise to move on - for now anyway.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
What was the endgame had we kept him as an RFA (assuming market conditions would've allowed it)? He gains UFA status the year after taking the QO.

So, he plays here another year, then likely leaves. The Lakers lose another year's worth of minutes invested in him, minutes that could've been used to develop lineups that will actually be used in the future. If he does well enough to keep him, the catch-22 is he would be less inclined to stay.

One side benefit of letting him walk, if our top 3 2019 targets spurn the P&G like PG in '18, Randle would be more receptive to a sales pitch should our FO approach him hat in hand. That's assuming he does get that elusive jumper in his repertoire.

This past July, keeping Randle possibly leads to McGee signing elsewhere, not to mention the cap hold in place would preclude signing either KCP or Rondo w/ Lance. If Kawhi had been traded here, the Lakers get their 2nd targeted star, and stringing Randle along another year may have been worth it. Since Kawhi wasn't dealt here, and Randle isn't our first priority in 2019, it was wise to move on - for now anyway.

I agree with this. I love Julius, but the fact is that the Lakers just signed the best player in the league who is being slotted to play the same position. And they have a backup, Kuzma, who may or may not be as good as Randle, but is cost-controlled for years and thus allows the Lakers flexibility to sign other players. It wouldn’t have been worth it to pay Julius big bucks to come off the bench and hamper the Lakers flexibility in signing others who are either more affordable (McGee), more urgently needed (Rondo), or potentially more transformative (a second max free agent)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

I don't know that I disagree much except with one point - please don't insult the collective intelligence of LG.com by arguing for the valuable "minutes investment" in JaVale McGee, Michael Beasley, and Kyle Kuzma at C that would have been lost in bringing back the superior Randle for this season.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

I don't know that I disagree much except with one point - please don't insult the collective intelligence of LG.com by arguing for the valuable "minutes investment" in JaVale McGee, Michael Beasley, and Kyle Kuzma at C that would have been lost in bringing back the superior Randle for this season.

That right there is the main point.

Every game we get outrebounded or just get bullied around inside (which if preseason was an indicator, we will be) will just magnify how much we needed someone like Randle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

I was trying to be diplomatic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Every game we get outrebounded or just get bullied around inside (which if preseason was an indicator, we will be) will just magnify how much we needed someone like Randle.

Yeah. I don't like what they did with the big men rotation and using deals for guys like Lance, but it's the team we roll with. Hopefully we make some trades or pick up buyouts down the road to rectify it.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Judah wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

So why did he have so many games like this one last season then?

He had like 9 or 10 games last season at this level... he averaged 16... not 25... if he averaged 25... we would have paid him.

Julius is a good player, I just said if he gets the midrange and 3 going, he is worth a max... but if signing him meant giving up on KD or Kawhi... management calculated it was too big a risk without knowing for sure if he could develop an outside shot.

I'm not trying to make Randle fans feel bad... We will miss him for sure this season. I simply responded to those wringing their hands who forget there is a big picture here. So far we've traded DLO, Clarkson, Nance, and Randle for LeBron... if you add a KD, Kawhi, or Klay... the deal becomes more than fair. Some say even without the second it's pretty fair, but with the second star, no one would argue that we made the smart move even if Julius becomes an all star.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

I wonder how having Randle will eventually influence AD? Apparently they are very tight.

Anyway I understand their FA logic but would still strongly prefer our homegrown Jules over the likes of KCP/Lance/Beasley. They could've worked out the $ situation next summer if someone like KD/Kawhi actually did want to sign here. We watched Jules break his leg in his first ever NBA game and work his tail off the past 3 years to become a legit player... who knows he could become a possible all star in his own right if he keeps working which which seems like a foregone conclusion to me but I'm one of his biggest fans. It just blows that he's not going to do it with the Lakers.

I know I'm probably in the minority and most fans will just say they got LeBron so get over it...I just feel like Magic had already made up his mind on Jules before last season even started which is why his minutes were so erratic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
I wonder how having Randle will eventually influence AD? Apparently they are very tight.

Anyway I understand their FA logic but would still strongly prefer our homegrown Jules over the likes of KCP/Lance/Beasley. They could've worked out the $ situation next summer if someone like KD/Kawhi actually did want to sign here. We watched Jules break his leg in his first ever NBA game and work his tail off the past 3 years to become a legit player... who knows he could become a possible all star in his own right if he keeps working which which seems like a foregone conclusion to me but I'm one of his biggest fans. It just blows that he's not going to do it with the Lakers.

I know I'm probably in the minority and most fans will just say they got LeBron so get over it...I just feel like Magic had already made up his mind on Jules before last season even started which is why his minutes were so erratic.

Pels will have some interesting cap situations to deal with.

They don't have Jules Bird rights so they can only offer IIRC 120% of his current deal (which would be $10.8m) which is still decent. But if he truly blows up, he'll want more than that and the Pels may not be able to afford it.

Pels have Mirotic's Bird rights. He's a great pairing with AD thanks to his shooting. I think they will prioritize him fully knowing that Jules may be a rental.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
daytripper wrote:

They don't have Jules Bird rights so they can only offer IIRC 120% of his current deal (which would be $10.8m) which is still decent. But if he truly blows up, he'll want more than that and the Pels may not be able to afford it.

Pels have Mirotic's Bird rights. He's a great pairing with AD thanks to his shooting. I think they will prioritize him fully knowing that Jules may be a rental.

The Pels also have such a weak wing rotation that committing so much salary to a frontcourt dominated by AD may not be the best long-term allocation of assets. Trying to beef up their frontcourt around Davis has led to a lot of their roster problems from overpaying Asik and Ajinca to trading Buddy Hield and picks to the Kings for a Boogie rental.

OTOH, Julius is relatively young and still improving, and the Pels have little way of adding upside-y youth around AD and Holiday without a lot of luck in the draft.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
daytripper wrote:

The Pels also have such a weak wing rotation that committing so much salary to a frontcourt dominated by AD may not be the best long-term allocation of assets. Trying to beef up their frontcourt around Davis has led to a lot of their roster problems from overpaying Asik and Ajinca to trading Buddy Hield and picks to the Kings for a Boogie rental.

OTOH, Julius is relatively young and still improving, and the Pels have little way of adding upside-y youth around AD and Holiday without a lot of luck in the draft.

Yup. And a lot of big wings/perimeter guys in the West which they have no answer to (i.e. KD, LBJ, even PG).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

His best sequence from last night: https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1052938268365508609
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
22 wrote:
I still haven’t recovered and gone back in the lounge regularly. Might as well be “MMAground.net” for me lol

I felt this.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
daytripper wrote:

Yup. And a lot of big wings/perimeter guys in the West which they have no answer to (i.e. KD, LBJ, even PG).

Definitely..unless something unforeseen happens their wing situation is going to ultimately kill them esp in this era of the NBA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1505, 1506, 1507 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1506 of 1536
Jump to: