Lakers in the News 3/1/14: Lakers set record for 3's in beating Kings ---- Players L.A. May Target In NBA Draft

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 3/1/14: Lakers set record for 3's in beating Kings ---- Players L.A. May Target In NBA Draft

Quote:
Farmar Scores Career-High 30 as Lakers Beat Kings
LOS ANGELES March 1, 2014 (AP)
By JOE RESNICK Associated Press

Jordan Farmar scored a career-high 30 points off the bench, making eight of 10 shots from 3-point range, and the Los Angeles Lakers capitalized on the absence of suspended Sacramento star DeMarcus Cousins to beat the Kings 126-122 Friday night.

Jodie Meeks made all eight of his shots and finished with 22 points, including three of the Lakers' franchise-record 19 3-pointers on 27 attempts. Pau Gasol also scored 22, and newly acquired reserve MarShon Brooks had 23.

The Lakers shot 60 percent in a matchup of teams with the two worst records in the Western Conference. They have won the first three meetings against the Kings this season, with one remaining on April 2 at Sacramento.

Los Angeles is a game behind the Kings in the conference standings and 1½ behind Utah.

The Lakers (20-39) must go 11-12 the rest of the way to avoid tying the 1974-75 squad for the worst record in a regulation season since the franchise relocated from Minneapolis to Los Angeles in 1960-61.

Rudy Gay scored 32 points for the Kings, who squandered a 12-point lead before halftime and then blew a 15-point lead in the second half despite converting 17 Lakers turnovers into 25 points.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/farmar-scores-career-high-30-lakers-beat-kings-22728801

Last edited by Cha*n on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers’ Jodie Meeks continues to show improvement

By Bob Garcia IV

LOS ANGELES — Since making his return to the court following the All-Star break, Los Angeles Lakers guard Jodie Meeks has been on a tear offensively to say the least.

The 26-year-0ld guard in Friday’s 126-122 win over the Sacramento Kings had his best game since rejoining the team from an right ankle sprain that forced him to miss five games as he scored 22 points on a perfect 8-of-8 from the field.

“I didn’t realize that I was,” Meeks said of his unblemished shooting performance against the Kings. “I thought I had missed a shot, but it was just a free throw. It was a good game. I have never had a game where I didn’t miss a shot.

In the past six games, Meeks is averaging 18.o points per game on 58 percent shooting from the field and 44 percent from 3-point range. This also included scoring in double digits in each contest, making at least two 3-pointers in five of the games.

So what’s the reason for the high level of play from the four-year veteran?

“I think that (ankle) injury was a blessing in disguise,” Meeks said,. “It gave me some rest over the All-Star break. I just took some time off and let my body heal up a little bit. I am playing some good basketball right now and it’s not really translating into a bunch of wins, and we still have 23 more games left so hopefully we can get a win in majority of those.”

Meeks added: “Nobody wants to get hurt, but when I did I got a chance to let my body heal. Now that I am back, I am trying to stay healthy for the rest of the season.”

http://www.sportsoutwest.com/2014/03/01/lakers-jodie-meeks-continues-improvement/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kings give up a career high to Lakers Farmar
Associated Press, News 10 2:52 a.m. EST March 1, 2014

LOS ANGELES - Jordan Farmar scored a career-high 30 points off the bench, making eight of 10 shots from 3-point range, and the Los Angeles Lakers capitalized on the absence of suspended Sacramento star DeMarcus Cousins to beat the Kings 126-122 Friday night.

Jodie Meeks made all eight of his shots and finished with 22 points, including three of the Lakers' franchise-record 19 3-pointers on 27 attempts. Pau Gasol also scored 22, and newly acquired reserve MarShon Brooks had 23.

http://www.news10.net/story/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/2014/03/01/kings-lose-to-lakers/5922659/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Farmar makes 8 of Lakers-record 19 3-pointers, scores career-high 30 in 126-122 win over Kings
Published March 01, 2014Associated Press

Jordan Farmar scored a career-high 30 points off the bench, making eight of 10 shots from 3-point range, and the Lakers capitalized on the absence of suspended Sacramento star DeMarcus Cousins to beat the Kings 126-122 Friday night.

"It was just the flow of the game," Farmar said. "I was aggressive, took shots when they were available, and I was fortunate to knock them down."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/03/01/farmar-makes-8-lakers-record-1-3-pointers-scores-career-high-30-in-126-122-win/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Farmar, Brooks, hot shooting carry Lakers
Sat Mar 1, 2014 1:12am EST

Farmar, Brooks, hot shooting carry Lakers

LOS ANGELES -- Point guard Jordan Farmar and forward MarShon Brooks were teammates in New Jersey, and on a Los Angeles Lakers roster consisting mostly of strangers this season, the previous connection worked out well on Friday night in a 126-122 come-from-behind victory over the Sacramento Kings at the Staples Center.

Farmar scored a career-best 30 points, hitting 8 of 10 3-point tries, and Brooks produced 21 of his 23 points in the second half, making all three of his 3-point shots, as the Lakers (20-38) overcame the Kings (20-38) mostly from long distance. Los Angeles made a franchise-record 19 3-pointers in a regulation game on 27 attempts.

"We were shooting the ball really well tonight," said Farmar, who came off the bench and got the Lakers going late in the third quarter after they fell behind by 15 points at 92-77. "I just made a couple of shots. We were losing and I wanted to try to spark it up and make some things happen.

"MarShon did a really good job. I played with him in Jersey and I kind of know what he could do, so I was going to him often."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/01/bkn-kings-lakers-writethru-idUSMTZEA31QUC62N20140301
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers set franchise record for 3s in win over Kings

Published March 01, 2014Sports Network
Los Angeles, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Jordan Farmar drained eight of Los Angeles' franchise-record 19 3-pointers and finished with a career-high 30 points, as the Lakers notched a 126-122 triumph over the Sacramento Kings on Friday at Staples Center.

Farmar went 8-of-10 from distance, while the Lakers shot 70.4 percent as a team from beyond the arc en route to a season-high point total.

"I wanted to be aggressive because we were losing," Farmar said. "We were shooting the ball pretty well tonight."

MarShon Brooks supplied 23 points, while Jodie Meeks scored 22 on 8-of-8 shooting from the floor, including 3-of-3 from long range, for the Lakers, who had lost three straight and seven of their last eight games.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/03/01/lakers-set-franchise-record-for-3s-in-win-over-kings/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers go the long way for win over Sacramento
They make 19 of 27 three-point attempts while Jordan Farmar has 30 points and eight three-pointers to lead a 126-122 comeback victory over the Kings.

By Mike Bresnahan
February 28, 2014, 10:42 p.m.

There were so many unforgettable events in the short-lived but surprisingly stormy Lakers-Sacramento rivalry.

Robert Horry nailing that three-point shot over Vlade Divac. Kobe Bryant's bout with food poisoning from that Sacramento hotel.

And who could forget Rick Fox and Doug Christie throwing punches at each other before a game. An exhibition game.

Friday night presented something entirely different from all that early-millennium fun. The team with the Western Conference's worst record (Lakers) beat the team with the West's second-worst record (Sacramento), 126-122.

BOX SCORE: Lakers 126, Sacramento Kings 122

Where have you gone, Peja Stojokavic?

Someone had to win this thing, even if neither team didn't really mind losing because the draft lottery was right around the corner, 81 days and counting.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-kings-20140301,0,2005265.story#ixzz2uk0Tb3ny
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jordan Farmar now comfortable in his role
March, 1, 2014
MAR 1
12:05
AM PT
By Dave McMenamin

LOS ANGELES -- When Jordan Farmar left the Los Angeles Lakers as a free agent close to four years ago, perhaps the biggest determining factor was him wanting to escape his lot as a young, up-and-coming point guard feeling stifled while having to play backup to the older, more established Derek Fisher.

With that in mind, it was awfully striking to hear Farmar's response Friday night after the six-year veteran scored a career-high 30 points in a 126-122 win over the Sacramento Kings when asked if he had any thought about continuing to play backup point guard for Lakers the second time around.

"I don't care," Farmar said. "I don't care, man. It's just trying to play good basketball when I'm in there, have fun with whoever is out there on the floor with me."

By Farmar, 27, accepting his role backing up the 22-year-old Kendall Marshall, not only is he helping out Marshall -- who is 1-for-15 from the field in his last four starts -- from losing whatever confidence he has left by being benched, he's thrusting the newly acquired MarShon Brooks into a thriving role.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/39039/jordan-farmar-now-comfortable-into-his-role
Jajwanda
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

Perhaps it's best to keep guys in roles they thrive in. Keep Farmar, Brooks, Young, and Hill on the bench and play them in the roles they thrive in.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Rumors 2014: 3 College Players L.A. May Target In NBA Draft
By Anthony Riccobono
on March 01 2014 1:32 AM

Jabari Parker could be a top three pick in the draft. Reuters
The 2013-2014 NBA season is far from over, but the Los Angeles Lakers already have one eye on the draft. Through 58 games, L.A. is 20 games under .500. They have the worst record in the Western Conference, and are basically assured to miss the playoffs.

On the bright side, the Lakers could leave the 2014 NBA Draft with their best draftee since 1996, when they traded center Vlade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets for the 13th overall pick, Kobe Bryant.

The Lakers are expected to be in the draft lottery with one of the best chances to win the No.1 overall pick. As it stands, only three teams have a worse record than Los Angeles. That would guarantee them no worse than the No.8 selection.

It’s an important draft for the Lakers, who have a lot of holes to fill. Not only have they struggled this year, but their roster is very much uncertain for 2014-2015. The team has only $35 million committed to players next season, most of which will go to Bryant and Steve Nash.

Whoever the Lakers take in the first round will likely have a major role on the team. Luckily for Los Angeles, they’ll have a high pick in year that features the best draft class since, maybe, 2003.

Below are three college players the Lakers could target in June

http://www.ibtimes.com/lakers-rumors-2014-3-college-players-la-may-target-nba-draft-1558703
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers among top three-point shooting teams in the NBA

Lakers point guard Jordan Farmar, who made eight of 10 three-point shots Friday night, fires away over Kings guard Ray McCallum in the second half. (Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press / February 28, 2014)
By Eric Pincus
March 1, 2014, 1:00 p.m.

On Friday night the Lakers (20-39) shot a stunning 70.4% from three-point range in a 126-122 victory over the Sacramento Kings (20-38).

Obviously the season hasn't gone as hoped for the Lakers, who sit at the bottom of the 15-team Western Conference. Injuries have derailed what initially was a promising season.

Nonetheless, the Lakers have excelled in one area in particular -- three-point shooting.

Through 59 games, the Lakers are tied for third overall in the NBA with the Portland Trail Blazers at 38.2% from behind the three-point arc as a team.

The San Antonio Spurs are the top team from long range, hitting 39.0%. The New Orleans Pelicans are second at 38.5%.

The Blazers (9.5 threes made a game) have a slight edge over the Lakers (9.4), but both hit more shots from beyond the arc than the Spurs (8.0) and Pelicans (6.1).

In just five games with the Lakers since coming over via trade from the Golden State Warriors, MarShon Brooks has hit eight of his nine attempts, or 88.9%, from long range.

Jordan Farmar, who scored a career-high 30 points on Friday, converting eight of 10 from three-point range, is now shooting 44.9% from behind the arc.

Kendall Marshall is mere decimal points behind Farmar at 44.7%, followed by Jodie Meeks at 40.0%

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-3-point-shooting-20140301,0,5439479.story#ixzz2ulXHtJPI
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers’ Mike D’Antoni Should Be Coach of the Year

March 1, 2014 6:34 pm EST by Dalbin Osorio

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

When the Los Angeles Lakers hired Mike D’Antoni instead of Phil Jackson, the move was met with mixed reviews from Lakers fans. They wanted Jackson back. They didn’t want him gone in the first place. Yet, for all the praise (all warranted) heaped on Jackson for the NBA titles and the coaching records, one thing has become painfully clear while watching the Lakers: Jackson would not be winning with this team. This is a flawed roster that is now paying for the sins of their general manager Mitch Kupchak, who traded draft picks like they were luxury cars to millionaires in hopes of that next Lakers championship. Jackson wasn’t the coach to lead them out of this.
That coach is Mike D’Antoni. No coach has a better track record at turning marginal players into good basketball players than D’Antoni. The fact that the Lakers have 20 wins this year is as much a testament to him as to any player on the roster, or anyone currently sitting on the sidelines. D’Antoni has taken what is essentially a D-League roster and turned them into a team.....

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/03/01/los-angeles-lakers-mike-dantoni-should-be-coach-of-the-year/?0OoW91k0iHq6fHro.99
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' record is bad, and schedule is about to get worse
Already lottery-bound at 20-39, Lakers face a rugged final stretch, with 19 games vs. West, nine against Spurs, Thunder, Clippers and Portland.

After forward Wesley Johnson and the Lakers battled Jason Thompson and the Kings to a 126-122 victory on Friday, the schedule and opponents only get tougher to finish the season. (Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press / February 28, 2014)

By Mike Bresnahan
March 1, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni and assistant coach Kurt Rambis recently had a conversation that went something like this.

Rambis: "Hey Mike.

D'Antoni: "Hey Kurt."

Rambis: "Want to hear something bad?"

D'Antoni: "No."

Rambis: "I'm telling you anyway. We have one of the hardest remaining schedules in the NBA."

D'Antoni: Pause. (Unintelligible.)

As if the Lakers needed more bad news, it's coming fast and furious.

Their game Friday against Sacramento was one of their last "easy" ones, or at least matchups that look favorable on paper. Nineteen of their final 23 will be against the clearly superior Western Conference and there will be six back-to-back situations, one of many bleak areas for the Lakers (5-8 in the first night, 4-9 in the second night).

They still have three games against San Antonio, two against Oklahoma City, two against the Clippers and two against Portland. The combined record of those teams before Saturday was 166-69. The Lakers are 20-39.

Fans who want the Lakers to keep losing don't have to worry. Their draft position will be just fine.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140302,0,5226868.story#ixzz2umsdNUok
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Jajwanda wrote:
Perhaps it's best to keep guys in roles they thrive in. Keep Farmar, Brooks, Young, and Hill on the bench and play them in the roles they thrive in.

Hill actually could be better off starting.

Well, at least we need a true PF starting.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LA Lakers on the Lookout for Leadership as Big Changes Loom
By Kevin Ding , NBA National Columnist Mar 1, 2014

LOS ANGELES — Kent Bazemore’s for-style-only glasses were on his face, and MarShon Brooks wore bright red sneakers that showed he even has the same attention-grabbing fashion as shoot-first teammate Nick Young.

Some of the young Los Angeles Lakers, including new arrivals Bazemore and Brooks, were huddling before leaving the locker room at Staples Center about late Friday night social plans, the sort of thing it makes sense to do if you’re a young Los Angeles Laker.

The Lakers had just beaten the Sacramento Kings, in part because of Bazemore’s defense and Brooks’ offense. The superficial recap is that Pau Gasol scored 22 points, Brooks 23 and Jordan Farmar 30 to lift the Lakers to a rare victory—and yes, the points were definitely part of it.

The leadership of Gasol and Farmar was more of it.

And it was a reminder that if his next season is going to be much better than this one, Kobe Bryant is going to need more than good health and more athletic teammates.

Flashback to Bryant’s tweet a week ago about being “not cool … AT ALL” with the Lakers trading feisty veteran Steve Blake to the Golden State Warriors for prospects Bazemore and Brooks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1977891-la-lakers-on-the-lookout-for-leadership-as-big-changes-loom
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: