Lakers in the News 2/23/14 & 2/24/14: Kent Bazemore Impressing & Nash’s Future with the Lakers Unknown

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 2/23/14 & 2/24/14: Kent Bazemore Impressing & Nash’s Future with the Lakers Unknown

Quote:
Lakers Now
ROUND-THE-CLOCK COVERAGE OF THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS
Preview: Lakers vs. Brooklyn Nets

By Eric Pincus
February 23, 2014, 11:43 a.m.
The Lakers (19-36) are looking to establish a winning streak as they host the Brooklyn Nets (25-27) on Sunday at Staples Center.
Swingman Nick Young is expected to make a return after fracturing a knee on Feb. 5.
With the additions of guards Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks, along with point guard Jordan Farmar, forward/center Pau Gasol and Young, the Lakers are finally getting healthy.
Of course, the team is still without point guard Steve Nash (nerve root irritation), guard Kobe Bryant (knee) and swingman Xavier Henry (knee). Henry could play as early as next week while Bryant is out at least another three weeks and Nash is day to day.
The Nets had a terrible start to the season, struggling with injuries and chemistry. The franchise has managed to pull up from its slump to climb to sixth place in the Eastern Conference.
Brooklyn, an older team, will face the Lakers on the second night of back-to-back after a win on Saturday night in Golden State against the Warriors.
Guard Marcus Thornton, recently acquired by the Nets from the Sacramento Kings, sat out Saturday with food poisoning. If he's able to play against the Lakers, he gives the Nets a high volume scorer on the perimeter.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-preview-lakers-vs-brooklyn-nets-20140223,0,5594562.story#ixzz2uBEeWkIa

Last edited by Cha*n on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 pm; edited 9 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Brooklyn Nets (25-28) at Los Angeles Lakers (19-36), 9 p.m. (ET)

BY SPORTS NETWORK
THE SPORTS NETWORK
(SportsNetwork.com) - A seven-game road trip will resume for the Brooklyn Nets Sunday evening, as they visit the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center.

The Nets are 1-2 on the trek with losses at Chicago and Golden State surrounding a victory in Utah. In Saturday's 93-86 setback to the Warriors, Deron Williams and Joe Johnson scored 20 and 15 points, respectively.

"They did a better job down the stretch. They made all the plays and got the stops when they needed to," Williams said of the Warriors.

Andray Blatche netted 14 points off the bench and Paul Pierce chipped in 11 points in the loss. Brooklyn entered the game having won five of seven games.

Brooklyn still has Portland, Denver and Milwaukee to visit on this sojourn and is 9-17 away from Barclays Center.

The Nets are clinging to the eighth and final postseason spot in the Eastern Conference and sit four games back of Toronto for the Atlantic lead.

Meanwhile, the Lakers halted their four-game slide with Friday's 101-92 victory over the rival Boston Celtics. They also halted a franchise-worst eight-game home losing streak in the process.

MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore provided season-high point totals in their Los Angeles debuts, as Brooks had 10 of his 14 points during a key fourth- quarter run and Bazemore ended with 15 points.

"Coach (Mike) D'Antoni told me to bring my confidence and go play my game," Brooks said

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/23/3955060/brooklyn-nets-25-28-at-los-angeles.html#storylink=cpy
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Nick Young's future with Lakers hangs in the balance this summer

By Tyler Lashbrook  @lashy on Feb 23 2014, 9:30a +

The Swag Mamba has a player option to exercise this summer, which brings to question his future in Los Angeles.

Swag champion Nick Young's future with the Los Angeles Lakers is uncertain. This summer, he has the chance to either opt in or out of his $1.2 million player option. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak told Mark Medina of LA Daily News that he guesses Young will opt out.

But Young's agent Mark Bartelstein insists that Young wants to be in L.A.

"Nick wants to be a Laker," Bartelstein. "But his focus right now is to get healthy, get back on the court soon and finish rest of the season. That’s a conversation Mitch and I will have, but it’s too early at this point to talk about what he’s going to do."
Young has missed the last three weeks with a knee injury, but he's played well enough on the season to increase his market value past the $1.2 million he would earn if he opted into his player option. He's averaging 16.9 points on above average True Shooting (54.1), per Basketball-Reference, and has, at times, helped carry the bulk of the Lakers' scoring.

Opting out of his contract this summer gives him a chance to re-sign with L.A. for a more lucrative deal, but it also opens the possibility of finding a new home. The Lakers have a good amount of cap space this summer and beyond, but it's unclear how much money they are willing to shell out to Young, who is still known as a bit of a wildcard on both ends of the floor.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/2/23/5438800/nick-young-future-lakers-contract
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Nick Young injury: Lakers guard to return Sunday vs. Nets
By Bob Garcia IV

Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young will play in Sunday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets after missing the last six games due to a non-displaced fracture of the patella and a bone bruise in his left knee, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Young initially suffered the injury on Feb. 5 after bumping knees with Cleveland Cavaliers forward C.J. Miles as he was attempting a lay-up on a fast break in the second quarter. He able to stay in for the remainder of the quarter, but pulled himself out of the game at halftime.

The 28-year-old’s excitement about his return was evident as he yelled “I’m back, baby!” as he left the court after Saturday’s practice.

“I didn’t think it was going to be this long, to tell you the truth,” Young said after his third practice since the All-Star break. “I’m just happy to be back. I can’t wait to get out there tomorrow.”

Young’s return will provide the Lakers with a boost offensively as he is the team’s second-leading scorer at 16.9 points per game and has scored in double figures in 41 out of the 48 games he has played, including a 19-game streak of double-digit outputs.

Head coach Mike D’Antoni is hoping that the six-year veteran can get back to helping the team on both sides of the court.

“He had a little bit of a dip after an unbelievable start, and now, hopefully, with this little break he had he’ll come back and have the same energy defensively that he had,” D’Antoni said. “Nick can be really good and really help us a lot.”

http://www.sportsoutwest.com/2014/02/23/nick-young-injury-update-lakers-nets/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Box score, Lakers & Nets

http://www.nba.com/games/20140223/BKNLAL/gameinfo.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Starting Wes J at the 4 is always a recipe for disaster
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Starting Wes J at the 4 is always a recipe for disaster

Yes, and the bad news further is Nick is still in pain after the game with the injury he has.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' rally falls short in 108-102 loss to Nets

By Eric Pincus
February 23, 2014, 8:41 p.m.

The Lakers' comeback attempt against the Brooklyn Nets fell short on Sunday night, as the Lakers fell 108-102.

After trailing by double digits for most of the game, a MarShon Brooks put-back and a Nick Young layup closed the Lakers to within four points with just over 7 1/2 minutes left on the clock.

The game featured the Brooklyn debut of Jason Collins, who became the first openly gay player to participate in an NBA game when he took the court in the first half. Collins played just under 11 minutes and while he didn’t score, the Nets out-scored the Lakers by eight points with the veteran center on the floor, in a six-point victory.

Deron Williams answered with a layup. An Andrei Kirilenko free throw and a Paul Pierce three-pointer, followed by another Williams basket, pushed Brooklyn back up to 11.

The Lakers fought through the final moments, but ultimately fell by six.

Williams led all scorers with 30 points. Pierce added 25 while Kirilenko gave Brooklyn a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

The Lakers were led by Pau Gasol with 22 points and 11 rebounds. Jodie Meeks contributed 19 points. Kent Bazemore, making his first start for the team, scored 17.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-vs-brooklyn-nets-game-updates-20140223,0,7903125.story#ixzz2uDZqUMDX
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Crowd Welcomes Jason Collins in His NBA Return
LOS ANGELES February 24, 2014 (AP)
By JOE RESNICK Associated Press

Brooklyn Nets center Jason Collins waits to come into the game during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Los Angeles Lakers, Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014, in Los Angeles. Mark J. Terrill/AP Photo

Although Jason Collins played only 10½ minutes in his first game with the Brooklyn Nets, it was a groundbreaking appearance.

Collins became the first openly gay player in the four major U.S. professional sports leagues, and Deron Williams had a season-high 30 points along with seven assists in a 108-102 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday night.

"I know that I can play in the NBA and it felt good to be out there tonight," Collins said. "Conditioning-wise, I felt good. I don't think I got tired. It was a lot of fun to get back out on the court and set screens, hard fouls. Didn't take any charges tonight — that'll change. I'll get in position next time. As far as basketball timing, it's going to take at least a couple of practices."

Collins signed a 10-day contract Sunday, nearly 10 months after his announcement on April 29 in Sports Illustrated. He had two rebounds and five fouls and didn't score.

"He's a basketball player. He's been doing this for a long time, so that didn't change," Williams said. "Maybe outside perception did, but inside this locker room it wasn't a big deal or a distraction. It was just another game for us. But he played huge for us. He made big plays on defense and was instrumental in this win tonight. I know he's been sitting around waiting for a job, and we're excited about having Jason."

The 12-year veteran spent his first six-plus NBA seasons with the Nets and helped them get to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003. This was the 35-year-old center's first NBA game since April 17,

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/collins-back-nba-nets-beat-lakers-108-102-22643937
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jason Collins signs with Nets, plays in game vs. Lakers to become first openly gay player in one of the four main American sports league

The historic moment happened when Collins, who began his NBA career with the Nets, checked into the game at 10:28 in the second quarter with the Nets leading the Lakers, 35-28.

BY STEFAN BONDY / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2014, 12:20 PM
UPDATED: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2014, 1:18 AM

MARK J. TERRILL/ AP PHOTO

Jason Collins checks into Sunday's game against the Lakers, becoming the first openly gay athlete to play a game in the four major American sports.
RELATED STORIES
Jason Collins breaks barrier, plays 11 minutes in Nets win over Lakers
Nets to pull off NBA triple-play Sunday Feb. 23
Lakers finish off Cavs as Mike D'Antoni keeps Robert Sacre in after fouling out
There won't be fun 'n' Games for NBC pair at Sochi, due to heavy Russian security

LOS ANGELES — It's the 10-day contract that broke down a barrier.

The Nets officially signed Jason Collins to the historic deal on Sunday afternoon and fitted him in a No. 98 Brooklyn uniform for Sunday night's game against the Lakers.

Collins checked into the game at 10:28 in the second quarter with the Nets leading the Lakers, 35-28, thus becoming the first openly gay athlete in America's four main professional sports leagues.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/collins-expected-sign-nets-article-1.1699148#ixzz2uDc3uAag
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:

Thank you emplay

Quote:
Kent Bazemore quickly making an impression with Lakers

Lakers guard Kent Bazemore, right, celebrates with teammates Wesley Johnson, left, and Jodie Meeks during the Lakers' 101-92 win Friday over the Boston Celtics. (Robyn Beck / Getty Images / February 21, 2014)
By Eric Pincus
February 24, 2014, 10:00 a.m.

Two straight games for newcomer Kent Bazemore -- two straight career highs.

The Lakers traded Steve Blake for the second-year guard/forward on Wednesday (along with MarShon Brooks). On Sunday, Bazemore made the first start of his NBA career.

In a loss to the Brooklyn Nets, Bazemore scored 17 points in 29 1/2 minutes. In his first appearance with the Lakers, a win over the Boston Celtics, Bazemore chipped in 15 points off the bench in almost 33 1/2 minutes.

How has Bazemore handled the transition from a sparsely used reserve with the Warriors to a full workload with the Lakers?

"I feel great. I've been working hard all year, conditioning and extra workouts, going up and down," said Bazemore after the loss to the Nets. "I'm pretty much used to the physical banging."

"Thank God I had been working," he continued. "If I hadn't ... then I'd be dead tired and not taking advantage of this opportunity."

Bazemore, 24, is in the second year of his career after entering the league undrafted out of Old Dominion, where he was won the Lefty Driesell Award in 2011 as the best defensive player in college basketball.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-kent-bazemore-making-impression-lakers-20140224,0,3869765.story#ixzz2uH30h6Nu

Quote:
Lakers' Week 17 in review

Lakers guard Kent Bazemore tries to collect a loose ball against Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo. (Robyn Beck / AFP/Getty Images / February 21, 2014)
By Eric Pincus
February 24, 2014, 6:00 a.m.

The Lakers beat their longtime rival, the Boston Celtics, on Friday of Week 17, but otherwise continued their losing ways.

On Wednesday, Dwight Howard made his first visit to the Lakers after leaving as a free agent over the summer to join the Houston Rockets.

Aganst Houston, Jodie Meeks was able to return from an ankle injury but Pau Gasol remained sidelined (groin) as the Rockets easily rolled past the Lakers, 134-108.

Howard seemed to enjoy the chorus of boos from the Staples Center crowd.

Less than two hours before the game against the Rockets, the Lakers traded Steve Blake to the Golden State Warriors for young guards Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks.

Kobe Bryant tweeted that he was "not cool" with Blake being traded.

Despite being long-rumored as a player the Lakers were looking to trade, Gasol remained with the team as the NBA trade deadline passed.

General Manager Mitch Kupchak spoke about the trade deadline, the Blake trade and the team's future in general. Kupchak said it's "unacceptable" for the Lakers to trade a player simply to save money without receiving basketball considerations in return.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-week-17-in-review-20140223,0,2516703.story#ixzz2uH4vzO00

Last edited by Cha*n on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Minor trade having major implications
February, 23, 2014
FEB 23
10:58
PM PT
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- As far a blockbuster trades go, the Los Angeles Lakers deciding to swap Steve Blake to the Golden State Warriors this week for two little-known bench players and save the team $4 million in salary and luxury tax fees barely made a blip on the radar.

But those little-known players, Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks, are suddenly being played a lot and that seemingly minor deadline deal has the rest of the Lakers feeling out of whack.

[+] Enlarge
Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
Nick Young is one of several Lakers with a vested interest to get as much playing time as possible as the season winds down.
Nick Young made his comeback to the lineup in Sunday's 108-102 loss to the Brooklyn Nets after missing the past six games because of a non-displaced fracture of the patella and a bone bruise in his left knee, and admitted that he may have rushed his return.

"They was actually telling me to wait until it's pain-free, but I just love the game of basketball and I want to get out there as fast as I can," Young said after putting up 10 points on 3-for-4 shooting in 20 minutes.

Young undoubtedly loves to play more than most in his sport, but his decision wasn't entirely altruistic. Young's contract expires at the end of the season and there will be money to be had on the free-agent market if he proves he can still play over this final stretch to the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/38975/minor-trade-having-major-implications?ex_cid=espnapi_public
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash’s Future with the Lakers Unknown
Posted on February 24, 2014
by ABC Digital
NBA via Los Angeles Lakers(NEW YORK) -- As Los Angeles Lakers' point guard Steve Nash battles to get back on the court, due to his age and durability, his future with the team is uncertain going forward, according to general manager Mitch Kupchak.

"At the appropriate time, I'll sit down and talk about it. But it's really his decision," Kupchak told the Los Angeles Daily News. "He's under contract to play basketball next year. There's a lot of moving pieces in something like this. For us to sit down and influence one way or the other is not ethical. It's really his decision."

The 40-year-old Nash is a near-lock to make the Hall of Fame once he retires, but age and injuries have caught up to him as he's appeared in just 10 games this season battling various ailments. Even though Nash still has one more year left on his deal, his body may not allow him to play a 19th season.

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2014/02/steve-nashs-future-with-the-lakers-unknown/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is very smart. If they push, that just gets Nash's competitive juices flowing. Better to let him figure it out and then sit down. Personally, I think he would get a medical retirement.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Draft order 2014: LA Lakers moving up, Phoenix Suns flush with picks

Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images

February 24, 2014
NBA Draft order 2014 news has the LA Lakers moving up and the Phoenix Suns flush with picks. The 2014 NBA Draft order will shift when the lottery takes place in the postseason, but it is starting to take shape for fans to pine about what prospects might come in the offseason. The Lakers lost again on Sunday night (Feb. 23), falling to the Brooklyn Nets 108-102 at home. It was an ugly loss in front of the Staples Center crowd, but it gave the team sole possession of last place in the Western Conference.

Evan Turner Traded To Indiana Pacers

In the updated standings, that puts the Lakers (19-37) as the fifth worst team in the league and one step closer to the top of the board. The four worst teams all reside in the Eastern Conference, with the lowly Milwaukee Bucks (10-45) looking at the best shot to win the No. 1 overall selection. They are followed by the Philadelphia 76ers (15-41), Orlando Magic (17-41), and Boston Celtics (19-38). It is certainly an interesting scenario that has the Lakers and Celtics battling it out for a spot in the lottery.

There have been quite a few trades that shape the 2014 NBA Draft order, with the Phoenix suns possibly looking at four first round selections this season. The team owns the rights to the picks of the Indiana Pacers, Washington Wizards, and Minnesota Timberwolves (as well as their own). All the picks are protected, but the Suns gain the rights of each pick that belongs to a playoff team. Currently it looks like the Pacers and Wizards will easily make the postseason and lost their first-round selections. The Wolves might retain theirs for now.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nba-draft-order-2014-la-lakers-moving-up-phoenix-suns-flush-with-picks
JosephBentley78
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Box score, Lakers & Nets

http://www.nba.com/games/20140223/BKNLAL/gameinfo.html
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Steve Nash’s Future with the Lakers Unknown
Posted on February 24, 2014
by ABC Digital
NBA via Los Angeles Lakers(NEW YORK) -- As Los Angeles Lakers' point guard Steve Nash battles to get back on the court, due to his age and durability, his future with the team is uncertain going forward, according to general manager Mitch Kupchak.

"At the appropriate time, I'll sit down and talk about it. But it's really his decision," Kupchak told the Los Angeles Daily News. "He's under contract to play basketball next year. There's a lot of moving pieces in something like this. For us to sit down and influence one way or the other is not ethical. It's really his decision."

The 40-year-old Nash is a near-lock to make the Hall of Fame once he retires, but age and injuries have caught up to him as he's appeared in just 10 games this season battling various ailments. Even though Nash still has one more year left on his deal, his body may not allow him to play a 19th season.

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2014/02/steve-nashs-future-with-the-lakers-unknown/

Regardless of whether or not he comes back, Nash just cannot handle the rigors of an NBA season anymore. Playing 82 games just isn't possible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: