Joel Embiid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stojan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
I like Wiggins for the Lakers over any other player because sky's the limit with him, and it seems like with the right mentor he'll definitely reach his potential. We just so happen to have the right mentor, and a great organization on top of that. Paul George's massive improvement has a lot to do with Kobe's work ethic, and I remember reading about how Kobe helped improve Ariza's shot. His leadership and work ethic also helped Melo, LeBron and Wade coming off that 2008 Olympic team.

I think with any perimeter player we get, his improvement will be expedited by having Kobe as a teammate. They just need to have the desire and work ethic to improve, that's what we need to read before deciding who to draft. I like either Wiggins or Exum as a top pick over the front court guys. Let Kobe bring out that potential like he was the Old Kai.

Not so much Wiggins but more so Smart and Exum you really want them developing their point guard skills in terms of carrying a team and being main ball handler, 2 seasons with Kobe still playing you think he will Hinder that development or will he hand over the reins abit to either so they can control the game more?

Not a shot or anything at Kobe just your opinion cause i think its something you have to take into consideration. We are not really going to be drafting much of a project soo high up a draft like this, i think any of the players drafted are going to be impact players immediately so it better letting them lead and learn form their mistakes or nurture and play within themselves for 2 seasons?

"I don't have the first clue who he is talking about, because all I worry about is Jerome."
CigaretteProtein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

Wiggins has athleticism that you can compare to MJ and LeBron. Is there any doubt he's a no brainer? There shouldn't be. Wesley Johnson comparison is way off IMO because athletically, Wesley is a weak athlete compared to Wiggins. No one except MJ and LeBron had that type of athleticism IMO.

Anyway, I don't expect us to have a top 5 pick anyway.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

CigaretteProtein wrote:
Wiggins has athleticism that you can compare to MJ and LeBron. Is there any doubt he's a no brainer? There shouldn't be. Wesley Johnson comparison is way off IMO because athletically, Wesley is a weak athlete compared to Wiggins. No one except MJ and LeBron had that type of athleticism IMO.

Wesley Johnson isn't a weak athlete. He's among the elite. Just because it doesn't equal production, doesn't mean he's not the best 2-3 athletes on the floor at all given times.

In fact, MJ and LeBron have something that Wiggins and Wesley Johnson don't. They have strength and are able to punish opponents with that.

Wiggins hasn't shown that. When he gets hot from the field, he shoots over the defender. His isolation move is a 1-step dribble right pull-up jumper. If he has enough spacing, he'll backpivot off of his left foot and pull up for a shorter shot.

There's a lack of ball-handling/change of direction ability there. Wesley Johnson's ball-handling issues are much more pronounced.

Guys like LeBron and MJ power all the way to the hoop and evade defenders.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

Not just that, but they are/were better one foot leapers than him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

One thing about Wiggins though - he can finish with either hand just as well. That's not an easy trait to master at that level. I do think he'll be an elite drive to the hoop, draw FT's or finish at the rim guy. He just has to do it closer to the basket and on the move like a SF vs a guard who could isolate from way outside because he lacks the PG caliber ball handling at the NBA level.

IMO Wiggins won't be another DeRozan or something like that - I think he's going to be an all-star down the road. He isn't lazy, I know people here in Canada that follow him religiously. He is a good kid and works very hard. He's just got that mind set unlike a Kobe, Jordan etc where team ball and being one of the guys is okay. Kobe/MJ HAD to be the man and the focus. Wiggins lacks that a bit. He's being hidden on that loaded team in NCAA. Don't see him being hidden in the NBA. He will be the FACE of whatever franchise he ends up on. He'll develop, IMO.

You'll see him become a top 20 player in the league (barring injuries) for sure. He works hard and won't stop just because he gets money. The main thing I'd say is that he'd be a Pippen #2 elite player more than a Jordan/Kobe #1 elite player. For Wiggins to succeed, he'd need that playmaking, dominant PG as his #1 guy on the team to set him up.

The closest comparison I'd make in the league currently - Paul George caliber player down the road. Same caliber of player, not same exact replica. I'll be surprised if he's not one of the league's 10 best players 3-4 years from now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

Is there any chance at all that Embiid turns into the next Thabeet?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:

No. Unlike Thabeet, Embiid is doing all of this impact purely on instinct. It's a reflection of his hoop IQ.

Thabeet was supposed to be similar to Roy Hibbert, a project center, but full of size. He never developed the lower post base and polished skills required to do so, despite so many years at UConn.

kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
kenkoy wrote:

No. Unlike Thabeet, Embiid is doing all of this impact purely on instinct. It's a reflection of his hoop IQ.

Thabeet was supposed to be similar to Roy Hibbert, a project center, but full of size. He never developed the lower post base and polished skills required to do so, despite so many years at UConn.

Thanks Mike...u da man!....you should be on the Lakers scouting staff...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

stojan wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
I like Wiggins for the Lakers over any other player because sky's the limit with him, and it seems like with the right mentor he'll definitely reach his potential. We just so happen to have the right mentor, and a great organization on top of that. Paul George's massive improvement has a lot to do with Kobe's work ethic, and I remember reading about how Kobe helped improve Ariza's shot. His leadership and work ethic also helped Melo, LeBron and Wade coming off that 2008 Olympic team.

I think with any perimeter player we get, his improvement will be expedited by having Kobe as a teammate. They just need to have the desire and work ethic to improve, that's what we need to read before deciding who to draft. I like either Wiggins or Exum as a top pick over the front court guys. Let Kobe bring out that potential like he was the Old Kai.

Not so much Wiggins but more so Smart and Exum you really want them developing their point guard skills in terms of carrying a team and being main ball handler, 2 seasons with Kobe still playing you think he will Hinder that development or will he hand over the reins abit to either so they can control the game more?

Not a shot or anything at Kobe just your opinion cause i think its something you have to take into consideration. We are not really going to be drafting much of a project soo high up a draft like this, i think any of the players drafted are going to be impact players immediately so it better letting them lead and learn form their mistakes or nurture and play within themselves for 2 seasons?

I think most of the development in these early stages takes place off the court. I don't think it'll be a problem. In terms of being minimized on the court, well that's going to be up to the coach.

You don't expect him to come in and be a superstar right away, but he can be contributor. All the while in the background, after practices, in the offseason, he'd be improving is skills, observing Kobe's mentality and work ethic. That's what's most important, not just coming in right away and being the #1. Think Kobe Bryant circa 1996.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

But, Kobe tried to start wrecking shop since Day 1 SPL. Drew so many foul calls.

Watch how much more advanced his ball-handling is.

CigaretteProtein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
CigaretteProtein wrote:

Wesley Johnson isn't a weak athlete. He's among the elite. Just because it doesn't equal production, doesn't mean he's not the best 2-3 athletes on the floor at all given times.

In fact, MJ and LeBron have something that Wiggins and Wesley Johnson don't. They have strength and are able to punish opponents with that.

Wiggins hasn't shown that. When he gets hot from the field, he shoots over the defender. His isolation move is a 1-step dribble right pull-up jumper. If he has enough spacing, he'll backpivot off of his left foot and pull up for a shorter shot.

There's a lack of ball-handling/change of direction ability there. Wesley Johnson's ball-handling issues are much more pronounced.

Guys like LeBron and MJ power all the way to the hoop and evade defenders.

Yeah, of course Wesley Johnson is a great athlete. Still weak compared to Wiggins IMO. Unlike MJ and LeBron, Wiggins has a much better jumpshot at his age than MJ and LeBron had.
The closest comparison for Wiggins is T Mac to me. Similar level of athleticism although I think Wiggins is even more athletic, long and lanky just like T Mac and a pure jumpshot even at young age.
T Mac was a better athlete than Vince IMO. Vince could jump higher but T Mac had better explossivenes. Being like T Mac is being on an all time great level, best player in the league level, that's what T Mac was in his prime, that's what I expect Wiggins to be. He currently doesn't show T Mac's ballhandling or passing skills but with time, I have no doubt he"ll be able to do whatever he wants.

For me, Wiggins is a sure thing. Mostly because of that athleticism. Even if he didn't have much else and he does. If he is what T Mac would've been without injuries...that's a top 20 player of all time.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
But, Kobe tried to start wrecking shop since Day 1 SPL. Drew so many foul calls.

Well that's Kobe Bryant, he is of a different breed. Ideally you'd want Wiggins learning from the man himself.
concernLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Wiggins will be a long term project for anyone take him but very rewarding and scary if he become like what everyone think he will be. He could become the best player in this draft in future or a bust
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Well that's Kobe Bryant, he is of a different breed. Ideally you'd want Wiggins learning from the man himself.

Does it worry you that Dante Exum is of similar size and has more advanced ball-handling too?

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone think that the reason Wiggins is not playing aggressively is because he knows he is a lock for a top-3 pick and does not want to injure himself like Nerlens Noel. Im saying this because Wiggins shows flashes of taking over games, but also he strays from contact, and looks like he is playing it safe on the court.
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Regarding Exum, what kind of pg only averages 3.8 ast per game? And I'm also curious what his vertical is, he doesn't look like he can get off the floor.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Does it worry you that Dante Exum is of similar size and has more advanced ball-handling too?

It'll only worry me if we're not in a position to draft either one of them. But hey, more the merrier at this point, we might be able to get one of them.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Wiggins doesn't have the handles that everyone thinks he has. He's a straight-line driver as of right now.

Would you say Wiggins is very Paul George like?

No, because George has the intangibles and has been maximizing his potential to no other.

Even during Paul George's rookie year? Or his last year at Fresno?

I mean obviously now it is easy to say George maximized his potential and has intangibles, but when drafted he was still a bit of a project then.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-George-5688/

George in college turned it over roughly around 30% of one on one touches and 25% of transition touches. His field goal percentage decreased 5% for his second year and his three point shooting plummeted from 44% to 35% from freshman to sophmore year. Both years he posted a sub 1 assist to turnover ratio.

I think Wiggins can develop like how George developed.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Wiggins doesn't have the handles that everyone thinks he has. He's a straight-line driver as of right now.

No, because George has the intangibles and has been maximizing his potential to no other.

I mean obviously now it is easy to say George maximized his potential and has intangibles, but when drafted he was still a bit of a project then.

George in college turned it over roughly around 30% of one on one touches and 25% of transition touches. His field goal percentage decreased 5% for his second year and his three point shooting plummeted from 44% to 35% from freshman to sophmore year. Both years he posted a sub 1 assist to turnover ratio.

He was a project then, and that's how I know he's maximizing his potential now. At least he showed a foundation of triple threat skills out there.

As for the freshman to sophomore year transition, I'm not concerned. That's what happens when a kid goes to #1 option on his team.

TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

He was a project then, and that's how I know he's maximizing his potential now. At least he showed a foundation of triple threat skills out there.

As for the freshman to sophomore year transition, I'm not concerned. That's what happens when a kid goes to #1 option on his team.

But it's unfair to hold that against Wiggins. George was able to max his potential should not be a knock against Wiggins as a prospect. If anything, it could help it since he had similar weaknesses George did. Watching George now, it don't think hes an elite ball handler or shot creator yet he gets it done defensively, and is smart with the ball. This is his best season yet, but he still puts up some duds offensively. Past 5 games he shot over 40% once. He's still a franchise player because he is an elite two way player, and I think you can get that with Wiggins.
stojan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:
Regarding Exum, what kind of pg only averages 3.8 ast per game? And I'm also curious what his vertical is, he doesn't look like he can get off the floor.

the kind that plays overseas. You just dont see high assist totals overseas and Exum is never going to be a 10 ast per game player he is always going to be a scoring guard first, its just he is good at laying it off when it needs to be.

In terms of vertical he wont be in the top tier but its the combination of his size along with smarts and pretty good athleticism that makes him stand out currently

"I don't have the first clue who he is talking about, because all I worry about is Jerome."
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:

But it's unfair to hold that against Wiggins. George was able to max his potential should not be a knock against Wiggins as a prospect. If anything, it could help it since he had similar weaknesses George did. Watching George now, it don't think hes an elite ball handler or shot creator yet he gets it done defensively, and is smart with the ball. This is his best season yet, but he still puts up some duds offensively. Past 5 games he shot over 40% once. He's still a franchise player because he is an elite two way player, and I think you can get that with Wiggins.

It's a knock against Wiggins when he's clearly showing better offensive talent out of HS than Paul George.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:

Very well said.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject:

My sig...
SCLakersfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

Embiid the next great Laker center? We can only cross our fingers and hope
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: