Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

Bout to watch the finale.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Why wouldn't he need several punches to take a guy out? He is a human with heightened senses not a super powered Captain America.

He's a vigilante with obvious martial arts and boxing training. In any given street fight, it does not take that many punches to someone to knock them out. It seems all the goons have incredible endurance or something.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

Just finished it. B+ rating.

I enjoyed it but it felt like they took the Batman Begins formula and stretched it into 13 episodes. Sure the story and characters were interesting enough to make a good show and the action was awesome but there wasn't enough for me. And having to wait until the last 10 minutes of the season for the costume was kinda lame but I get it.

I can't wait for season 2 though and just wish they bring in some more notable villains and other heroes like Spidey, Blade or Punisher.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Why wouldn't he need several punches to take a guy out? He is a human with heightened senses not a super powered Captain America.

He's a vigilante with obvious martial arts and boxing training. In any given street fight, it does not take that many punches to someone to knock them out. It seems all the goons have incredible endurance or something.

UFC fights are about 5 mins long.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

This show felt more real and grounded than any comicbook show or film Ive seen, including all 7 Batman movies. And the fights don't even compare.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Obvious maybe but limited based on the small amount of time he spent with Stick. I wouldn't exactly say he had boxing training simply because he punched a punching bag in an empty gym. He comes across self trained for the most part in the show.

I guess I just disagree on the idea behind easily knocking someone out. It takes a specific blow to do that to a person. The Russians clearly were better fighters than say the City Police and they portrayed that by having him easily subdue the cops. I also think some of this was a nod to his father and his flash backs. The longer fight scenes showed the determination that he had. Like his father, he could go a full 12 rounds, out lasting everyone.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

You mean how he needs 100 punches to take someone out? Either these street thugs have incredible endurance, or he hits like a little girl.

I missed the part in the show about the over-exaggeration that a person needed 100 punches to be put down.

Seen 4 episodes so far and have to say, need more of these kinds of show!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Seen 7 episode so far. I think without how good D'Onofrio as Kingpin is, this show would suck. I hate the blond girl so far maybe because of her character or the acting.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Well that was awesome. Can't wait for the rest of the Defenders. Truly a great time to be a superhero fan. Marvel, DC,or both.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Watched the first episode after reading the comments here. Not bad.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I enjoyed it but it felt like they took the Batman Begins formula and stretched it into 13 episodes.

Nerd Fun Fact:

Ironically, Batman Begins' origins borrows heavily on Frank Miller's early 1980's Daredevil run. From giving Batman's origin a martial arts background and even turning Daredevil's sensei Stick into R'as Al Ghul. Miller brought that darkness 2-3 years later and re-made the campy Batman dark like Daredevil by writing The Dark Knight. So Batman Begins is basically a combination of both Miller's work in Batman and his early work in Daredevil. You can even argue the current dark Batman we know now is basically Daredevil.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I enjoyed it but it felt like they took the Batman Begins formula and stretched it into 13 episodes.

Nerd Fun Fact:

Ironically, Batman Begins' origins borrows heavily on Frank Miller's early 1980's Daredevil run. From giving Batman's origin a martial arts background and even turning Daredevil's sensei Stick into R'as Al Ghul. Miller brought that darkness 2-3 years later and re-made the campy Batman dark like Daredevil by writing The Dark Knight. So Batman Begins is basically a combination of both Miller's work in Batman and his early work in Daredevil. You can even argue the current dark Batman we know now is basically Daredevil.

And Ben Affleck will now play both.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

gud show so far
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Mixed feelings.

I'm surprise how much he gets beat up, and get beat up hard. I don't really like the actor who plays DD. Series is okay so far for first season. The red suit is awesome tho.

Kingpin was such a wuss, I think they are trying to humanize him but don't feel for the character.

Was hoping for other Marvel characters to drop by.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm not gonna even pretend to know much about DD. I know a small bit about the character and a few of his enemies (Kingpin/Bullseye) but that's about it.

Watched the 1st 2 episodes last night (FINALLY putting my Netflix subscription to use) So far I am liking it. Some nice action and story. Although the scenes with Foggy and the blonde girl were kind of lame.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Nerd Fun Fact:

And Ben Affleck will now play both.

That was educational. The Daredevil/Batman reference I mean not Ben Affleck.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

I'll watch the finale tonight. I've really enjoyed the series.

I was surprised by how much he gets hurt.

Spoiler wrote:
I expected his training with Stick to be significantly longer. Like several years. I'm not sure if they were trying to imply that it had been a few years by showing his skills as a kid, but since the kid didn't really look older I wasn't sure.

The deaths of Wesley and Ben caught me by surprise. Good stuff.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

he looks like Chris Algieri
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:

I get that when our superheroes are too strong and invincible, it gets boring. However, sometimes I just want him to be able to really kick ass... at least against the minion type guys. The fight against Kingpin was about right, but I don't think the fight against Nobu should have been so close.

Not on the level of House of Cards or Orange is the New Black, but still enjoyable. I do wonder though if I wasn't into the superhero stuff, would the writing be good enough to keep my attention. Not sure.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I get that when our superheroes are too strong and invincible, it gets boring. However, sometimes I just want him to be able to really kick ass... at least against the minion type guys. The fight against Kingpin was about right, but I don't think the fight against Nobu should have been so close.

Not on the level of House of Cards or Orange is the New Black, but still enjoyable. I do wonder though if I wasn't into the superhero stuff, would the writing be good enough to keep my attention. Not sure.

I thought the Nobu one was about right. I mean, the guy is a ninja.

I thought he should have been able to beat up Fisk a lot more easily. He got hit with punches that he would have normally easily dodged.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

He gets his butt kicks so much, seriously the guy shouldn't be on the streets. Almost died a few times. Would have died with Nobu if didn't get lucky. It's hard to root for a guy who seems out of his depth constantly. Also think the casting isn't well done.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

If this show wasn't connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe he would be perfectly powered. Seeing him struggle makes the show so much better. BUT because he is tied to the MCU I want to see him become an Avenger and it doesn't feel like he is powerful enough to be one. I'm not ever sure he's on the level of Hawkeye and Black Widow and I don't even consider them Avengers. They're Shield agents.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject:

Just finished up. Incredibly predictable and slow paced. Kinda reminded me of Damages with a masked vigilante. I think overall it was okay.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

Daredevil being my favourite comic character, I've loved this first season.
Only read this if you've already watched all the episodes.

I apologize for any english mistakes

Spoiler wrote:
All the different elements of his "mythology" were introduced: some in a direct way, some very subtle.

Catholicism, oriental misticism, the relationship with his father... Everything's there. Even the small things make sense, like Foggy and Matt in college, talking about that "greek girl" Matt used to date (yes, that's Elektra). Tons and tons of details and easter eggs.

This first season showed how Matt Murdock turned into Daredevil, but also how Wilson Fisk turned into the Kingpin, both in the final episode of the season. And that's very important about how their relationship develop into the years.
Wilson Fisk will return next season and now he's gonna be the King, will be (more) cruel and do the stuff we all know.

I loved Madame Gao (the link do K'un Lun and the Iron Fist series) and Nobu (probably part of The Hand).

Murdock's story is unique and opens the possibility to a thousand different views: about the police, justice, beating the (bleep) out of ninjas in dark alleys, his past, Elektra, the underworld, etc. I can see the series going on for a lot of seasons.

Marvel and Netflix did a very good job in taking all the elements from the best Daredevil comics over the years. I could see a lot of Frank Miller, David Mazzuchelli, BM Bendis, Alex Maleev, Gene Colan (and so on) in every episode.

The only thing that I didn't like was Ben Urich's death. It was too early. Urich's role in Daredevil's history is huge, as he's one of his best friends and confidents.

Can't wait for next season!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Just finished it. B+ rating.

I enjoyed it but it felt like they took the Batman Begins formula and stretched it into 13 episodes. Sure the story and characters were interesting enough to make a good show and the action was awesome but there wasn't enough for me. And having to wait until the last 10 minutes of the season for the costume was kinda lame but I get it.

I can't wait for season 2 though and just wish they bring in some more notable villains and other heroes like Spidey, Blade or Punisher.

(some spoilers)

I think it could have been 10-11 episodes. Some scenes with Urich/Karen dragged on for far too long, so much so that I was cheering when the former met his fate.

And the episode where Foggy finds out could have been edited down to 15 minutes and appended onto the previous episode.

Other than that, and the DD suit looking a bit stiff, really great show (I actually thought "The Mask" outfit looked great, just add the armored lining and maybe color it red and you're good to go). Hoping that they release a Season 2 soon and don't wait for all the other Netflix Defenders shows to come out first.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10
Jump to: