Trade up for Giannis Adetokunbo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Trade up for Giannis Adetokunbo?

Very intriguing prospect who is 6'10" with a 7'3"wingspan and plays every position from point guard to power forward for his team. He's very raw but has the potential to be something special. Draftexpress has him going 29th to OKC (Of course Presti would end up with a steal like that). He just recently started appearing on NBA scout's radar.

Link

Link
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject:

I read somewhere awhile back that Danny Ainge is infatuated with him after scouting him earlier this year.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject:

I like him too he would be inexpensive to get maybe by trading Steve Blake or buying a pick and we develop him overseas.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject:

next sun yue?
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
I read somewhere awhile back that Danny Ainge is infatuated with him after scouting him earlier this year.

Now Draftexpress newest mock draft has Giannis going 16th overall to the Celtics.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject:

Here is some game footage on him.

Link
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject:

I see a lot of Sun Yue and Shaun Livingston. guys who are so much longer/bigger against comp in lower levels, but at the NBA, guys are much stronger and quicker and their advantages at being able to handle the ball at their size is quickly minimized.

Does this kid have a post game? I could see a team putting a quick guard to defend him if he's bringing the ball up.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject:

Doesn't have a post game.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I see a lot of Sun Yue and Shaun Livingston. guys who are so much longer/bigger against comp in lower levels, but at the NBA, guys are much stronger and quicker and their advantages at being able to handle the ball at their size is quickly minimized.

Does this kid have a post game? I could see a team putting a quick guard to defend him if he's bringing the ball up.

Yue couldn't keep up because he wasn't aggressive enough attacking the rim and couldn't get his shot off at the NBA level.

Livingston really had the talent, but development was a lot slower. Got pushed around even when he was an elite level athlete and had SF size. The knee buckle is a testament to what I feel about the Clippers training staff and player development back then.

The guy who has real PG ability is 6'10" Dario Saric, but he's withdrawing from the draft because he's not lottery. He's not lottery because he's less athletic than Giannis, but a much better passer. Both guys do one thing best, which is grab a defensive board and push the ball. Everything else needs serious development.

If this were a crazy athletic project like Ibaka, then sure, it would be obvious to me, but Giannis isn't that. I think people are just obsessing over a rare talent, but hell, Royce White could do the same things, just better.

kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject:

Draft Express has Giannis ranked 9th on their top 100 prospects.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

He's been developing quickly with the most recent tourneys. Still a long term project. More hype because he can now touch the backboard square.

kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

He's been developing quickly with the most recent tourneys. Still a long term project. More hype because he can now touch the backboard square.

According to Chad Ford rumor is he will not get past Atlanta. I would definitely take him in the 15 to 20 range.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't. Here's why.

Giannis Adetokunbo, hasn't really created an identity for himself as a player. Scouts are looking at his skill set, as raw as it is, and projecting him as a point forward, only because of what he does in transition.

The last time I saw something similar like this, with similar skills and talent, but not the tremendous wingspan and hands, is Boris Diaw.

Both guys are projected as point forward/point guard types. Surprising court vision, lack of offensive aggression, a jumpshot to rebuild from scratch, zero post game.

Both guys have ability to drive the lane, with straight line drives; long strides, not quickness. Neither guy has a great vert, Adetokunbo has the wingspan. There's a picture of twitter with his hand at the backboard square. Everyone will peer their eyes at where his hand is, but his head is barely halfway at the net. Average vert. at best. Post Prime Magic 1996. Royce White. Boris Diaw. All similar types to his skill set. Need to hide them on defense. Great high post players.

Now, going by DX, with Schroeder, Franklin, and Ricky Ledo available; I know what their roles are, I know they can play both ends of the floor with man D and a guard skills set, and I don't have to an adapt an offense around a guy's skill set to make it work. Athletically, they're among the top of the draft. When the answer seems so obvious, it's not deemed as "intriguing," so it's easier to lose interest.

If this was Serge Ibaka of 2008, this would be a far different situation.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: