Deal reached in Kobe memorabilia lawsuit, parents issue an apology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
Kobe shouldn't embarrass his Mom and Dad further by forcing them to issue a public apology. Makes Kobe look egotistical and desperate.\

All parents make mistakes. Kids should not make their parents grovel, it's classless.

Kobe can't win in things like this. They all end up looking foolish.

They needed to apologize. It's not about making them grovel. Their actions gave the distinct impression that Kobe doesn't do anything for his parents and that they were desperate for money.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Damn... it would break my heart if it were my parents doing this. My mother wouldn't sell the Mr. Freeze picture that I drew her in 3rd grade for anything.
bad comparison. you drew it for HER. kobe was not winning rings and playing ball for his parents. he did that for himself. sure he gave them some things after he earned awards and wore jersey's etc. but the truth is, he didnt do those things for them. thats completely different.

It is still a cherished memory. The sentiment is the same. But even if they are not the same, you mean to tell me Kobe didn't mind much that they sold his trophies because he didn't earn those things FOR them? I find that incredibly far-fetched.
you're missing my point. its not about kobe. your parents keep your old stuff because THEY want to cherish it. if you draw your mother something in the 1st grade. she will keep it forever. you drew it for HER.

kobe plays ball for HIMSELF, he wins FOR HIMSELF. just so happened he gave them things after he won things, he left his child hood jersey's.

those things are more or less garage stuff. not stuff a parent would go thru and go "awwww, i remember when you were 2 years old and you made this for me and daddy."

the only person that would be all extra proud of his hoop stuff is his dad(unless his mom was heavy into sports and basketball).

So you go out of a way to express a moot fact? Yeah, Kobe's situation is different from mine. But unless you are implying that Kobe's memorial trophies don't mean anything to him, the sentiment is still the same.

Must you always be so argumentative about everything all of the time? Go hug your family or something.

stop labeling the parents....you dont know them. one incident and now they are bad parents. if thats the case all of the rest of us are bad parents to....because there will come a time when you think you are doing something right and they think you are wrong.

lol @ "one incident" .. there's been many more then that and that's just what was public.. it's pretty pathetic when he offers them 250k for a THIRD house and it's still not enough so they sell his memories to make up for the rest of once again, a THIRD house.. it's nothing new for people that have money, there's always family that get money hungry and it's never enough.. they always want more, more, more...

and to the guy that said we aren't aloud to judge them .. this is 2013 and we're on an internet forum discussing it so it's pretty much all we can do.. let's not pretend like the parents are innocent in this or haven't done things in the past to make the outsider believe they aren't parent of the year material...

i'm sure kobe has made mistakes as well but this along with disowning your son for years because you don't approve of who he's marrying is not high character decisions imo.. that's me judging and if you want to judge the other way go ahead...

Last edited by hype on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
Kobe shouldn't embarrass his Mom and Dad further by forcing them to issue a public apology. Makes Kobe look egotistical and desperate.\

All parents make mistakes. Kids should not make their parents grovel, it's classless.

How do you know he did? How do you know they didn't do that on their own? Or maybe someone else pushed them to do that? Like Kobe's grandmother for instance.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Damn... it would break my heart if it were my parents doing this. My mother wouldn't sell the Mr. Freeze picture that I drew her in 3rd grade for anything.
bad comparison. you drew it for HER. kobe was not winning rings and playing ball for his parents. he did that for himself. sure he gave them some things after he earned awards and wore jersey's etc. but the truth is, he didnt do those things for them. thats completely different.

It is still a cherished memory. The sentiment is the same. But even if they are not the same, you mean to tell me Kobe didn't mind much that they sold his trophies because he didn't earn those things FOR them? I find that incredibly far-fetched.
you're missing my point. its not about kobe. your parents keep your old stuff because THEY want to cherish it. if you draw your mother something in the 1st grade. she will keep it forever. you drew it for HER.

kobe plays ball for HIMSELF, he wins FOR HIMSELF. just so happened he gave them things after he won things, he left his child hood jersey's.

those things are more or less garage stuff. not stuff a parent would go thru and go "awwww, i remember when you were 2 years old and you made this for me and daddy."

the only person that would be all extra proud of his hoop stuff is his dad(unless his mom was heavy into sports and basketball).

So you go out of a way to express a moot fact? Yeah, Kobe's situation is different from mine. But unless you are implying that Kobe's memorial trophies don't mean anything to him, the sentiment is still the same.

Must you always be so argumentative about everything all of the time? Go hug your family or something.

stop labeling the parents....you dont know them. one incident and now they are bad parents. if thats the case all of the rest of us are bad parents to....because there will come a time when you think you are doing something right and they think you are wrong.

So you would steal from your own child?

and who said they stole from them.....was this proven in court. this story is being blown out of proportion. Is there anyone you wont attack for kobe. i love kobe to....but he is not always right. Why are they even trying to get money? this is their business but things are said between love ones, that they dont mean.

The fact that he challenged them for it and received a "settlement" shows that he never actually gave it to them as a gift; more like left it with them for safekeeping and maybe even to cherish. I can't say what kind of parents they are because I don't know them. However, I do know that Kobe loves basketball and winning with an immense passion. If the public knows that, then his parents certainly do. Kobe's memorabilia are a reminder of his accomplishments so anyone can see that people he trusted selling them for cash would hurt him. Regardless of what kind of parents they are, that is a jerk move and something they should be ashamed of. Kobe has to wonder who really cares about him, after something like this. My heart truly hurts for him.

Last edited by The Shadow King on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Chanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

They needed to apologize. It's not about making them grovel. Their actions gave the distinct impression that Kobe doesn't do anything for his parents and that they were desperate for money.

My point is that making a public apology a requirement of the settlement makes it look forced, like a business deal and not the way one treats their Mom and Dad. This is not a typical lawsuit and should be handled with more tact. An apology at their own volition would be more meaningful. This just indicates that Kobe's attitude toward them plays a part in why they treat him like they do. Kobe doesn't come up smelling like roses in this (except maybe on Lakersground lol).
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

My point is that making a public apology a requirement of the settlement makes it look forced, like a business deal and not the way one treats their Mom and Dad. This is not a typical lawsuit and should be handled with more tact. An apology at their own volition would be more meaningful. This just indicates that Kobe's attitude toward them plays a part in why they treat him like they do. Kobe doesn't come up smelling like roses in this (except maybe on Lakersground lol).

Kobe offering up 250K for them to put down on a 3rd home and they reacting to it by trying to sell off his stuff says way more about the parents. Tact went out the window when Joe and Pam took a 1/2 mil for stuff that didn't belong to them.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject:

The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:

The 2 Championship rings Kobe paid to have made for his mother and father were made for & given to them to share in his victory.....and they (at least his mom) decided to give them away to be sold because a bigger, better 3rd house was more important. What a slap in the face to a son.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:

The 2 Championship rings Kobe paid to have made for his mother and father were made for & given to them to share in his victory.....and they (at least his mom) decided to give them away to be sold because a bigger, better 3rd house was more important. What a slap in the face to a son.

I was wondering why there were two championship rings... thank you for clarifying that for me. I dislike them even more, now.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Air Apparent wrote:
Thisismyusername wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
In my opinion this makes Kobe look bad, I don't have a clue what's going on in their family but his parents shouldn't have to resort to this. Kobe is mega rich, he should make sure his folks are well taken care of. Like I said, I'm just speaking from a perspective of an outsider looking in.

I'm an outsider looking in, and I don't get your perspective. How does Kobe's parents stealing from their son make KOBE look bad?

Why would you make your own parents issue a public apology....

And you're basing this off of what? Nothing. Stop making up stuff.

Who said Kobe made them issue an apology? It's amazing how some anti Koby Laker fans will always find a way that Kobe is wrong....even when it's proved he's right.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject:

What seems to have been forgotten/lost in all this is that all Kobe's HS awards, jerseys, trophies were with his parents because they were all in his old bedroom. Most parents leave their kids rooms the same after they move out (if they can afford to). Kobe probably thought they enjoyed having his stuff in his room since he was no longer there with them. He had no idea they removed them all and put them in storage for years so they had use of that room (I'm sure in their 2 houses they had plenty of bedrooms available for the 2 of them). Kobe paid for their 2 houses for them....I think 1 bedroom left with his stuff shouldn't have been such an impossition. Instead she wanted them out of his bedroom so badly that she paid $1500 a month to store them in another city for years? Why not tell Kobe to take them or store them himself instead? Because momma knew they were valuable and planned to sell them eventually. The same as she told Kobe's sister about some items of Kobe's she saw in her garage. Momma told his sis they were really valuable which made his sis worry about their safety with momma coveting them so....so sis told Kobe to take them.

Last edited by kobe_luver on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject:

"Kobe Bryant reached a settlement with a New Jersey auction house that allows his mother sell a small amount of his memorabilia, while also getting an apology from his parents, who thanked him for his financial support."

very tacky...and embarrassing
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's reputation was hurt by erronious reports that he was being cheap with his parents and that's why they had to sell his stuff. I'm sure Kobe's lawyer wanted that cleared up.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:

lol @ "one incident" .. there's been many more then that and that's just what was public.. it's pretty pathetic when he offers them 250k for a THIRD house and it's still not enough so they sell his memories to make up for the rest of once again, a THIRD house.. it's nothing new for people that have money, there's always family that get money hungry and it's never enough.. they always want more, more, more...

and to the guy that said we aren't aloud to judge them .. this is 2013 and we're on an internet forum discussing it so it's pretty much all we can do.. let's not pretend like the parents are innocent in this or haven't done things in the past to make the outsider believe they aren't parent of the year material...

i'm sure kobe has made mistakes as well but this along with disowning your son for years because you don't approve of who he's marrying is not high character decisions imo.. that's me judging and if you want to judge the other way go ahead...

well if you want to go down that road.....lets list all the good things they have done for him.....oh yeah thats right, you wouldnt know those things because they are not news worthy.....those are still his parents....lets leave it alone.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:

its only a slap in the face to you guys because you look at kobe as a basketball player not your son. i dont care about how many rings my son has won. he's my son. he's not this big time star to me. he is that to YOU in the public. to his mom she could care less about those rings. she didnt win the championship. lol. she cant eat those rings, or sleep in them. nor could she drive them. and they are worth a ton of money. if kobe would've asked her i bet you she would've taken cash value over the rings. even back then when he gave them to her. why? because they are not HERS she didnt play the sport. it doesnt have the same value as it does to him or even us fans.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:

its only a slap in the face to you guys because you look at kobe as a basketball player not your son. i dont care about how many rings my son has won. he's my son. he's not this big time star to me. he is that to YOU in the public. to his mom she could care less about those rings. she didnt win the championship. lol. she cant eat those rings, or sleep in them. nor could she drive them. and they are worth a ton of money. if kobe would've asked her i bet you she would've taken cash value over the rings. even back then when he gave them to her. why? because they are not HERS she didnt play the sport. it doesnt have the same value as it does to him or even us fans.

This has got to be some of the worst stuff you've ever posted (and that's saying a lot).
Mamba3301
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:

What's embarrassing is your post. You sound clueless.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:

OMG....I HAVE NO WORDS FOR THE BOLDED POST!
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
Incredible. They still get to sell some of his stuff. So disrespectful. I would stop supporting them altogether.
now let me ask this question. do you think kobe has ever done anything wrong in his childhood? if so. during that time do you think it would've been okay for his parents to stop supporting kobe?
your answer is going to be no, but but he was a kid. doesnt matter. i held you down all of your 18 years when you were the most vulnerable. so if you have the ability(financially) you should return the favor. its only right. doesnt matter what his parents did with selling that stuff. two wrongs dont make a right.

Bad comparison. Parents are supposed to know better. Kids do things impetuously without fully realizing the consequences sometimes. This was a very deliberate move by his parents to profit off of items they KNEW didn't belong to them. It's one thing to make a mistake. But this was a plot.
This. Agreed 100%. You can't compare in this case.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Those are their son's stuff... respect works both ways.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:

This has got to be some of the worst stuff you've ever posted (and that's saying a lot).

No disrespect to you postandpivot because I respect you as a person but I will not respond to anything else you say in this forum. You just talk out of the side of your head and I don't have time to waste arguing with you. Go Lakers.
Chanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

No need to attack me bro. We have different opinions, big deal.

Not airing the family's dirty laundry is not a concept I invented.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

I sincerely doubt Kobe made his parents do anything. More likely, they issued this release to save face.
Since1984
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject:

The Shadow King wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

I sincerely doubt Kobe made his parents do anything. More likely, they issued this release to save face.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. Since when was it ever stated that Kobe made his parents release a statement? From the looks of it, their publicist released one because they realized the lawsuit wasn't going to fall in their favor and their public perception would go down the toilet unless they apologized (hence the thank you for years of financial support). I would guess Kobe gave his parents even more money to settle this thing. In any case, all of this is sort of funny. I don't know what constitutes a functional family when you are a super rich, world famous athlete; you have to feel bad for Kobe being shunned by his parents like this. However, Kobe is a cold blooded assassin that can probably handle bigger problems than this. I bet he's seething with anger, instead of feeling hurt.
Chanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject:

Since1984 wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. Since when was it ever stated that Kobe made his parents release a statement? From the looks of it, their publicist released one because they realized the lawsuit wasn't going to fall in their favor and their public perception would go down the toilet unless they apologized (hence the thank you for years of financial support). I would guess Kobe gave his parents even more money to settle this thing. In any case, all of this is sort of funny. I don't know what constitutes a functional family when you are a super rich, world famous athlete; you have to feel bad for Kobe being shunned by his parents like this. However, Kobe is a cold blooded assassin that can probably handle bigger problems than this. I bet he's seething with anger, instead of feeling hurt.

The fact that most people on here are dragging his parents through the mud just proves my point.

Lebron never spoke of the drama with his mom even when things started to leak, he kept it in house and didn't worry about gossip. Kobe, in my humble meaningless opinion, should have done the same. No need for a public apology, just a private one amongst family. Whatever, some people like drama.
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject:

Chanos wrote:
Since1984 wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
Chanos wrote:
Mamba3301 wrote:
Chanos wrote:

The fact that most people on here are dragging his parents through the mud just proves my point.

Lebron never spoke of the drama with his mom even when things started to leak, he kept it in house and didn't worry about gossip. Kobe, in my humble meaningless opinion, should have done the same. No need for a public apology, just a private one amongst family. Whatever, some people like drama.

It's a little too late to keep things 'in house' when the Auction House Pam Bryant sold the items to without Kobe's knowledge is PUBLICLY suing Kobe. When unlike the LBJ/Mum/Delonte debacle, I don't recall there being a lawsuit for his mum sleeping around. Two completely different circumstances friend.

Just my 2 cents.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: