Dan Majerle named head coach at Grand Canyon University

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Dan Majerle named head coach at Grand Canyon University

I didn't realize there was a school named Grand Canyon

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dan-majerle-named-head-coach-202956315--ncaab.html

Quote:
Dan Majerle named head coach at Grand Canyon

PHOENIX (AP) -- Former Phoenix Suns star Dan Majerle has been named head coach at Grand Canyon University as the Phoenix school begins a four-year transition to NCAA Division I.
Majerle was introduced as coach at a news conference on Monday, saying he is thrilled with the opportunity to coach his hometown university.
Majerle played 14 seasons in the NBA, eight with the Suns. He is a member of the team's Ring of Honor. Majerle was in his fifth season as an assistant coach of the Suns when he left the organization earlier this year after he was passed over for the interim coach position after Alvin Gentry was fired.
At Grand Canyon, Majerle replaces Russ Pennell, who resigned last week.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject:

His three against the Lakers in game 5 of the playoffs... that really hurt.

Also he's famous on youtube for a travel where he literally takes like 10 steps from a triple threat position
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan Majerle named head coach at Grand Canyon University

Basketball Fan wrote:
I didn't realize there was a school named Grand Canyon

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dan-majerle-named-head-coach-202956315--ncaab.html

Quote:
Dan Majerle named head coach at Grand Canyon

PHOENIX (AP) -- Former Phoenix Suns star Dan Majerle has been named head coach at Grand Canyon University as the Phoenix school begins a four-year transition to NCAA Division I.
Majerle was introduced as coach at a news conference on Monday, saying he is thrilled with the opportunity to coach his hometown university.
Majerle played 14 seasons in the NBA, eight with the Suns. He is a member of the team's Ring of Honor. Majerle was in his fifth season as an assistant coach of the Suns when he left the organization earlier this year after he was passed over for the interim coach position after Alvin Gentry was fired.
At Grand Canyon, Majerle replaces Russ Pennell, who resigned last week.

He must have seen one of those ads on tv that advertise the university on endless loop.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject:

This is literally worse than a Community College. It's a for-profit University except not online...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject:

His restraunt/bar was pretty good, I recommend the Charles Barkley sandwich.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject:

There's a college down in there? Cool!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

This is literally worse than a Community College. It's a for-profit University except not online...

They have just as much commercials as Devry and all those other for profit colleges...I think the difference is that they actually have a sports program.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject:

It used to be a non-profit college that fell on hard times and sold out to a corporation that turned them into a for-profit.
KOBemaster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

It's in the ghetto as well. I knew a few people that went there that couldn't leave fast enough. I believe their credits from GCU couldn't be transferred to another school, so they had to start over.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
It used to be a non-profit college that fell on hard times and sold out to a corporation that turned them into a for-profit.

That makes sense why they suddenly had all these commercials playing over the TV stations in LA.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

https://www.abc15.com/sports/grand-canyon-university-fires-dan-majerle-as-mens-basketball-coach

Quote:
Grand Canyon University fires Dan Majerle as men's basketball coach

PHOENIX — Dan Majerle has been fired as the head coach of the men's basketball team at Grand Canyon University.

Grand Canyon University announced the news in a statement on Thursday afternoon.

“We have made the decision to move in a new direction with our men’s basketball program," said Brian Mueller, president of Grand Canyon University. “We wish Coach Majerle the best of luck in his future endeavors.”

Associated Head Coach Marvin Menzies will serve as the team's interim head coach, effective immediately, GCU said. Assistant Coach Isaac Chew also remains on staff, GCU said.

The Lopes finished the 2019-2020 season 13-7, and 8-8 in the Western Athletic Conference.

Majerle played eight season with the Phoenix Suns and was an assistant coach for the Suns from 2008-2013.

The former Phoenix Suns All-Star was hired to take over the GCU men's basketball program in 2013, leading the Antelopes transition into NCAA division one basketball.

In seven seasons in charge of the program, Majerle guided GCU to a 136-89 record.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

Wow, this zombie thread really had me confused. I thought they had just hired him only to fire him, lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: