[quote="paulsung123"]
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
And paulsung123 likely believes that Nash will help us on hustle and defensive rebounding.

Yes. Nash very well likely will create an enjoyment of playing on offense, which translates to more enthusiasm on D and hustle. Defense is a mindset more than anything. Don't believe me? This is what coaches and players say.

Also, proper positioning on defense that comes from not having to defend constant fast breaks that result from turnover and turnover will lead to better defensive rebounding.

Am I being intellectually dishonest?

No, now you're just being delusional.

Would love to have this discussion again provided Nash is healthy and integrated into the system in the future. Let's see who eats crow.

Oh you will, though you'll probably pull a no show Junior.

Did I strike a nerve? Why do you persist in personally insulting me?

I could bite too and say that you sound like a two bit lower rate lawyer who graduated bottom of his class in a top 100 law school with phrases like ad-hominem and strawman arguments to make you sound smarter than you really are. But yeah.. I wouldn't do that

Not really Junior. I just know that you'll disappear into the woodwork after Nash returns... I'm sure you'll make a cameo role after a few wins, but the problems on this team go well beyond what Nash can provide.

I'm here and have been an LG member prior to almost everyone here. I know you'll disappear, so I'm having fun with you now.[/quote

I've been visiting this site since 2006 nearly everyday. I usually lurk and don't post much but I won't be going anywhere. I'll be sure to seek you out Old Timer. Btw to get the record straight, I said we need Nash. Never said he solves all our problems.

I have no idea where you came up with that one. Maybe senility comes earlier for some than others... right Old Timer?

Thanks for another personal attack. You're on a roll.

My contention is that Nash doesn't solve our problems, with which you finally seem to agree (took long enough). We'll win more games with Nash, but the underlying problems with defense and system remain.

Nash is a great player, and he thrived in the D'Antoni system; conversely you could say (rightfully) that D'Antoni prospered by having Nash. A lesser PG would have exposed D'Antoni.

Sadly, we don't have the personnel to match the strengths of either, and even if we did I doubt it would be enough. We haven't the legs or youth to run SSOL, we haven't the bench to cover for the exhaustion of SSOL. I was never convinced D'Antoni was crazy enough to run SSOL, but it is apparent that he wants a similar system, heavy on pick and rolls and outside shooters to create space. Guess what? That isn't our team. We have mediocre outside shooting and strong post scoring, which D'Antoni eschews. Hence Nash will improve their lot, but not by leaps and bounds. I expect incremental improvement, but I certainly don't expect a contender.

Feel free to call me senile though. For good measure, I'm also mixed racially. Why don't you engage in racism too while you're at it?
SClaker803
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:

siyanur wrote:
guys, cheer the f up

as if you are the ones who make millions..let players and FO worry

This constant losing is having an adverse affect on my relationship with my family during this holiday break.

They are all in the Christmas spirit, I'm isolated in a dark room drinking Chocolate Yoohoos heavily and lashing out @ everyone after losses., even my dog is concerned with my behavior. SMH

Hopefully we go on a mini winning streak before I have to leave and go back to college after break so I can be happy this Christmas
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:

tommywolverine wrote:
Is there any reason D'Antoni couldn't run the exact same offense scheme at a slower tempo?

That would basically make it a 4 corners offense with Kobe ISO in the middle....
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject:

[quote="ViolaMB"]
ViolaMB wrote:
ARE WE ALSO LOSING TOMORROW TO WASHINGTON?
[/quote

Cleveland, why not Washington ?
spamurai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
tommywolverine wrote:
Is there any reason D'Antoni couldn't run the exact same offense scheme at a slower tempo?

That would basically make it a 4 corners offense with Kobe ISO in the middle....

Pretty much. Have you people seen our half court sets this year? It's just ISO ISO ISO and occasionally dump it into Dwight where he gets fouled and clanks free throws. Nobody is moving, nobody is cutting, nobody is setting picks, nobody is rolling. The offense is TOO DAMN PREDICTABLE without a playmaking point guard.
tommywolverine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:

[quote="angrypuppy"]
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
And paulsung123 likely believes that Nash will help us on hustle and defensive rebounding.

Yes. Nash very well likely will create an enjoyment of playing on offense, which translates to more enthusiasm on D and hustle. Defense is a mindset more than anything. Don't believe me? This is what coaches and players say.

Also, proper positioning on defense that comes from not having to defend constant fast breaks that result from turnover and turnover will lead to better defensive rebounding.

Would love to have this discussion again provided Nash is healthy and integrated into the system in the future. Let's see who eats crow.

I could bite too and say that you sound like a two bit lower rate lawyer who graduated bottom of his class in a top 100 law school with phrases like ad-hominem and strawman arguments to make you sound smarter than you really are. But yeah.. I wouldn't do that

Not really Junior. I just know that you'll disappear into the woodwork after Nash returns... I'm sure you'll make a cameo role after a few wins, but the problems on this team go well beyond what Nash can provide.

I'm here and have been an LG member prior to almost everyone here. I know you'll disappear, so I'm having fun with you now.[/quote

I've been visiting this site since 2006 nearly everyday. I usually lurk and don't post much but I won't be going anywhere. I'll be sure to seek you out Old Timer. Btw to get the record straight, I said we need Nash. Never said he solves all our problems.

I have no idea where you came up with that one. Maybe senility comes earlier for some than others... right Old Timer?

My contention is that Nash doesn't solve our problems, with which you finally seem to agree (took long enough). We'll win more games with Nash, but the underlying problems with defense and system remain.

Nash is a great player, and he thrived in the D'Antoni system; conversely you could say (rightfully) that D'Antoni prospered by having Nash. A lesser PG would have exposed D'Antoni.

Sadly, we don't have the personnel to match the strengths of either, and even if we did I doubt it would be enough. We haven't the legs or youth to run SSOL, we haven't the bench to cover for the exhaustion of SSOL. I was never convinced D'Antoni was crazy enough to run SSOL, but it is apparent that he wants a similar system, heavy on pick and rolls and outside shooters to create space. Guess what? That isn't our team. We have mediocre outside shooting and strong post scoring, which D'Antoni eschews. Hence Nash will improve their lot, but not by leaps and bounds. I expect incremental improvement, but I certainly don't expect a contender.

Feel free to call me senile though. For good measure, I'm also mixed racially. Why don't you engage in racism too while you're at it?

Calling someone "Old Timer" is the exact same as calling someone "Junior."

He doesn't even have to resort to racism for his next argument. He could just call you "dumb." You haven't shown anything that makes me feel like you even understand his argument.
SClaker803
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject:

tommywolverine wrote:
SClaker803 wrote:
tommywolverine wrote:
sinba wrote:
How many of you still believe that it is not about coaching?

knicks running a carbon copy of d'antoni's offense...

And they were still losing when he was running it in New York. He left, the assistant coach came in and has that same team ballin' out of control.

We did the same thing. Fired an ineffective coach, had an assistant coach, went on a winning streak..............................Then we hired the same coach that was basically fired for the same reason we fired our last coach

so is the problem that d'antoni can't motivate?

I would be a real jerk to think I pinpoint problems better than a professional coach, but it's no coincidence that both teams weren't playing up to their potential while he was around.

I wanna see him do well with this team because it just looks bad on the organizations part to keep running through coaches like this.

It's by no means all his fault, the players should be ashamed , but he IS the general and there are coaches that do better with waaaayyyy less than what we have

Last edited by SClaker803 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
irrefutable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

tommywolverine wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I'm here and have been an LG member prior to almost everyone here. I know you'll disappear, so I'm having fun with you now.

i don't care how long you've been here. but i never saw you directly address any of his arguments.

but i've only been here for a couple months, so i'll just be quiet.

That's okay, tommywolverine. I've only been registered here a couple of months, too.

Want to argue about something?

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

Oh I'm having fun with Junior; after being labeled a 40 year old I decided to have fun!
paulsung123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject:

[quote="angrypuppy"]
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I never disagreed with your contention. I don't understand why you would assume I ever did from my statements. That's just a fallacy on your end and a poor inference of my previous statements.
paulsung123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Oh I'm having fun with Junior; after being labeled a 40 year old I decided to have fun!

You first labeled me as someone who essentially didn't even follow the Lakers or the NBA for the past 5 years. Next, you were high and mighty when exclaiming how amazing you are for having watched basketball forever.

This is after you never bothered responding to my statement substantively.

I said "need nash" and you decided to pick a fight from it. I responded. Get over it
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject:

[quote="paulsung123"]
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I never disagreed with your contention. I don't understand why you would assume I ever did from my statements. That's just a fallacy on your end and a poor inference of my previous statements.

I'll say it once and for all: I hope I'm wrong. I doubt that I am though. Nash will help, but the grand preponderance of problems are beyond his scope of responsibilities. The front office simply picked the wrong coach twice; I doubt we'd need Phil had we gone with Adelman. But D'Antoni is a fraud, and though Nash thrives in a D'Antoni system, we haven't the personnel beyond Nash (and Kobe) to really make it work. Our team defense is a league-wide joke. Our transition defense is non-existent. We cannot make jumpers consistently to create space. We have two of the best post players in the NBA, and yet we have a coach who doesn't see the value in post play. How am I (or anyone else) supposed to believe that Nash will provide more than a few more points and a few more wins? A few more points and wins might help us achieve a lower seed... big wow. This team needs a coaching change... Nash returning and trading (or signing) a backup PG is just polishing a turd.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Oh but wait... as you (paulsung123) said:
Quote:

Nash very well likely will create an enjoyment of playing on offense, which translates to more enthusiasm on D and hustle. Defense is a mindset more than anything. Don't believe me? This is what coaches and players say.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Fantasyland transcends Disneyland.
paulsung123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject:

[quote="angrypuppy"]
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I'll say it once and for all: I hope I'm wrong. I doubt that I am though. Nash will help, but the grand preponderance of problems are beyond his scope of responsibilities. The front office simply picked the wrong coach twice; I doubt we'd need Phil had we gone with Adelman. But D'Antoni is a fraud, and though Nash thrives in a D'Antoni system, we haven't the personnel beyond Nash (and Kobe) to really make it work. Our team defense is a league-wide joke. Our transition defense is non-existent. We cannot make jumpers consistently to create space. We have two of the best post players in the NBA, and yet we have a coach who doesn't see the value in post play. How am I (or anyone else) supposed to believe that Nash will provide more than a few more points and a few more wins? A few more points and wins might help us achieve a lower seed... big wow. This team needs a coaching change... Nash returning and trading (or signing) a backup PG is just polishing a turd.

I think Nash will net to much more than a few more points and a few more wins. Championship contender level? Who knows. But I do know the PG is the most important element of a D'antoni offense and Nash is the right guy to run it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject:

[quote="paulsung123"]
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I think Nash will net to much more than a few more points and a few more wins. Championship contender level? Who knows. But I do know the PG is the most important element of a D'antoni offense and Nash is the right guy to run it.

Oh I agree with that, but that's a far cry from:

Quote:
Nash very well likely will create an enjoyment of playing on offense, which translates to more enthusiasm on D and hustle. Defense is a mindset more than anything. Don't believe me? This is what coaches and players say.

It's polishing a turd. Yes, Nash will result in a few more wins, but the problems go beyond PG.
paulsung123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

#1 When teams win and have fun playing basketball, their effort level goes up. Defense is largely an effort based activity. Is it that hard to add two and two together?

#2 Turnovers put defenses in compromising situations. The addition of Nash = less turnovers and less situations where our defense is not set. If our defense IS set more often that it is now, then it will lead to more defensive rebounds. Is that so confusing?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Oh I stated less turnovers... sans the swipes from Dwight in the post. But that does not compensate for the piss poor defense. This team under D'Antoni relies on jump shots, which feed transition opportunities for the other team. In fact our old legs should avoid a jump shot oriented offense. Nash doesn't solve that problem, we're just not that kind of team. We also are incredibly poor at defensive rotations, something that kills me considering we just fired a defensive coach... Nash cannot solve that either. Nash will help, but he does not cover the myriad of problems that we face.
paulsung123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Oh I stated less turnovers... sans the swipes from Dwight in the post. But that does not compensate for the piss poor defense. This team under D'Antoni relies on jump shots, which feed transition opportunities for the other team. Nash doesn't solve that problem, we're just not that kind of team. We also are incredibly poor at defensive rotations, something that kills me considering we just fired a defensive coach... Nash cannot solve that either. Nash will help, but he does not cover the myriad of problems that we face.

This was my entire point smh
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy

paulsung123
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject:

paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Oh I stated less turnovers... sans the swipes from Dwight in the post. But that does not compensate for the piss poor defense. This team under D'Antoni relies on jump shots, which feed transition opportunities for the other team. Nash doesn't solve that problem, we're just not that kind of team. We also are incredibly poor at defensive rotations, something that kills me considering we just fired a defensive coach... Nash cannot solve that either. Nash will help, but he does not cover the myriad of problems that we face.

This was my entire point smh

Mine too, which is why I found your post weird. Nash will not change the fortunes of this team, at least in terms of the Lakers being a championship contender. Or as you stated earlier when I mentioned that Nash wouldn't solve our problems:

Quote:

But it is ok... glad you see the light.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject:

paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

#1 When teams win and have fun playing basketball, their effort level goes up. Defense is largely an effort based activity. Is it that hard to add two and two together?

#2 Turnovers put defenses in compromising situations. The addition of Nash = less turnovers and less situations where our defense is not set. If our defense IS set more often that it is now, then it will lead to more defensive rebounds. Is that so confusing?

Oh I'm sure we'll have more moments of "fun basketball" once Nash returns. Nellie ball was fun too, wasn't it? How did that work out?

Our problems on defense go way beyond turnovers. Open your eyes.
paulsung123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Oh I'm sure we'll have more moments of "fun basketball" once Nash returns. Nellie ball was fun too, wasn't it? How did that work out?

Smh... the problem is you are still ascribing to me a view I never once espoused to have. I do not think SSOL is winning type basketball. Personally, I think it'll never win a chip. I don't know if the addition of Nash makes us a favorite to win the chip. My entire point was that Nash would help immensely on offense and even indirectly but still nonetheless positively on defense as well, but you bent my statements out of proportion and attacked a position you imaginarily assumed I had but in reality I never held.

You open your eyes. I never said Nash was THE answer to our defensive woes. You said he wouldn't help at all defensively and I merely corrected your blanket statement.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject:

paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
paulsung123 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Smh... the problem is you are still ascribing to me a view I never once espoused to have. I do not think SSOL is winning type basketball. Personally, I think it'll never win a chip. I don't know if the addition of Nash makes us a favorite to win the chip. My entire point was that Nash would help immensely on offense and even indirectly but still nonetheless positive on defense as well, but you bent my statements out of proportion and attacked a position you imaginarily assumed I had but in reality I never held.

You open your eyes. I never said Nash was THE answer to our defensive woes. You said he wouldn't help at all and I merely corrected your blanket statement.

Then we are laboring under a misapprehension, Junior.

=Oldman
jibikao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject:

tommywolverine wrote:

I don't know why we have so little confidence in our PG. Their job is basically walk up, pass the ball to Kobe and wait for him to ISO and maybe Kobe will pass out when he sees double team coming.

And MD's offense scheme usually starts with a PG doing P&R with a big and depending on how the defense reacts, PG may penetrate to score, or pass to big and if they collapse in the paint, PG passes out to a shooter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 78 of 79
Jump to: