Lakers in News July 11/July 12, 2012: Lakers add star but focus remains on one in orlando (Page 2)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Lakers in News July 11/July 12, 2012: Lakers add star but focus remains on one in orlando (Page 2)

Quote:
Devin Ebanks re-signs with Lakers

Small forward Devin Ebanks re-signed with the Lakers for a one-year deal worth a little more than $1 million, The Times has learned.

The move hardly elicits the fireworks the Lakers created last week when they acquired elite point guard Steve Nash. But it brings further clarity on how the Lakers will shore up their bench.

Ebanks, who will turn 23 in late October, has impressed the Lakers the past two seasons with his unassuming work ethic, length and athleticism. For the Lakers, this move keeps some needed youth on an otherwise veteran-laden team. For Ebanks, it gives him another season to convince the Lakers that he should be in their long-term future.

LINK

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LAKERS OFFICIALLY ACQUIRE NASH IN SIGN-AND-TRADE DEAL

Los Angeles, CA - Steve Nash is officially going to team up with Kobe Bryant to try and bring the Los Angeles Lakers another NBA title.

The teams made it official on Tuesday night when the NBA lifted the free agency signing moratorium.

The Suns received first-round picks in 2013 and 2015, and second-round selections in 2013 and 2014 for Nash, an eight-time All-Star and two-time league MVP.

Nash will reportedly get a three-year contract in excess of $25 million. The Suns will also get $3.1 million, according to The Arizona Republic.

The 38-year-old has played 16 seasons and has averaged 14.5 points and 8.6 assists over 1,152 games with Phoenix and Dallas. He was drafted in the first round by the Suns in 1996 and was traded to Dallas in June of 1998 before rejoining Phoenix via free agency prior to the 2004-05 season.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Should the Lakers release Metta World Peace via amnesty?

The so-called July moratorium ends today, allowing NBA teams on Wednesday to officially sign free agents and comment on transactions. For the Lakers, that means they can finally acknowledge Steve Nash's acquisition. But there's another important note that coincides with making such a move official.

That involves whether the Lakers will decide to waive a player using the amnesty clause. In Monopoly terms, it's almost a "get out of jail free" card. From July 11 to 17, teams that didn't exercise the provision last season can waive a player who meets certain contract criteria. Even though teams must still pay the respective player's salary, he no longer counts against the team's salary cap or luxury tax.

LINK
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject:

Good to see Ebanks return. Now let's hope Hill returns as well. Thanks Wolf

Last edited by TooMuchMajicBuss on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Talking2ThaMoon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject:

Even though I don't like his contract I really like the crazy edge, he provides hustle and entertainment, those things are hard to get.
Mustaine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Should the Lakers release Metta World Peace via amnesty?

The so-called July moratorium ends today, allowing NBA teams on Wednesday to officially sign free agents and comment on transactions. For the Lakers, that means they can finally acknowledge Steve Nash's acquisition. But there's another important note that coincides with making such a move official.

That involves whether the Lakers will decide to waive a player using the amnesty clause. In Monopoly terms, it's almost a "get out of jail free" card. From July 11 to 17, teams that didn't exercise the provision last season can waive a player who meets certain contract criteria. Even though teams must still pay the respective player's salary, he no longer counts against the team's salary cap or luxury tax.

LINK

No!We need Ron Ron!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Hill may be too expensive. Especially if we are considering taking on an additional contract/$$$ in a Howard deal.

I have said from start, LA's priority should not be Hill, he is more of a luxury. The Lakers used up so much money in the Nash trade, I wouldn't blame them if all they did from here on out was make vet min signings. As it stands we're in lux tax hell in 2013-2014. Devin Ebanks fits the vet min limit usually between 1-1.3 M depending on experience (although we signed him using bird rights).

Roster right now:

Bynum/Sacre
Gasol/McRoberts
Artest/Ebanks/Eyenga
Bryant/Goudelock/Johnson-Odom
Nash/Blake/Morris

That's 13 players. I could see us maybe make 1 more vet min signing and call it an offseason (regarding FA). We'd still be players in trade though.
koolmo23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject:

glad the lakers re -sign Ebanks we going to need some speed to run with Nash , hope we resign Hill also
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject:

Bad signing. Ebanks can't shoot and doesn't do anything particularly well and most of all he doesn't really hustle, defend, or rebound.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:
Bad signing. Ebanks can't shoot and doesn't do anything particularly well and most of all he doesn't really hustle, defend, or rebound.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject:

Tanlentueux wrote:
bodyrock wrote:

Lol i know right? I was confused myself... What team have you been watching?
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:

Are you stupid? Speed, scoring, and one of the beest defenders on this team? Did you see him D up Kevin Durant in the playoffs, this is an excellent signing. We need youth and speed, hopefully goudelock gets some run to, he is fearless.
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:

Obviously the Laker org dosent agree. I think if he were as bad as you point him out to be, we would NOT have signed him. They see behind the scenes Ebanks, I would have to give them the nod that they see something special going on.
RoughneckPS3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Hill may be too expensive. Especially if we are considering taking on an additional contract/$$$ in a Howard deal.

I have said from start, LA's priority should not be Hill, he is more of a luxury. The Lakers used up so much money in the Nash trade, I wouldn't blame them if all they did from here on out was make vet min signings. As it stands we're in lux tax hell in 2013-2014. Devin Ebanks fits the vet min limit usually between 1-1.3 M depending on experience (although we signed him using bird rights).

Roster right now:

Bynum/Sacre
Gasol/McRoberts
Artest/Ebanks/Eyenga
Bryant/Goudelock/Johnson-Odom
Nash/Blake/Morris

That's 13 players. I could see us maybe make 1 more vet min signing and call it an offseason (regarding FA). We'd still be players in trade though.

I fricken HATE having a 6'1" backup shooting guard. UGH. Eyenga needs to step up and be first SG off the bench.

Glock....may need to take Morris' minutes. Noway do I want glock having to guard other shooting guards.

bodyrock wrote:

Joke post?

My only real problem with Ebanks is my concern that he won't have enough in his wallet to defend bigger small forwards in the block. His strength is my biggest concern. I'm not worried about his shooting OR his defense. He was a product of defensive coaching in college, and his shot looked good enough last year.
RoughneckPS3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Glock, Eyenga and Ebanks are going to be the Lakers youth that get playing time.
ADKLaketrout
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Good.
iwearvans
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Love ebanks signing. Young has potential defensively
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Steve Nash is introduced by the Los Angeles Lakers, dons Laker uniform for the first time

By Kelly Dwyer | Ball Don't Lie – 8 hours ago.. .

There are some things that take getting used to. The Brooklyn Nets. Touchscreen phones. Governor Schwarzenegger. Your neighbor, Karen.

And then there's Steve Nash, in a Lakers uniform:

It's a shot that will make some retch, and some jump with giddy glee. Whatever your affiliation, it's still a jarring sight. And though we've had issues with the "COUNT THA RINGZZ" crew in the past, a basketball genius like Steve Nash running a show that involves Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and (especially) Pau Gasol is so more intriguing and appealing than him wasting his final years on a middling crew in Phoenix, or helping in Toronto's latest rebuilding attempt.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/steve-nash-introduced-los-angeles-lakers-dons-laker-213114761--nba.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak unsure if Lakers can hit another 'home run'

The Lakers General Manager downplays the team's chances of landing another big-name player this offseason.

July 11, 2012, 3:23 p.m.
Only two weeks after declaring the Lakers would try to hit a home run, General Manager Mitch Kupchak helped hit one out of the park.

Their coveted prize came in the form of elite point guard Steve Nash. He officially signed his three-year, $27-million contract Monday morning. Nash stood at an introductory news conference at the Lakers' practice facility in El Segundo proudly displaying his No. 10 Lakers jersey. And he gushed for over half an hour about how this arrival bolsters his chances to win his first NBA championship entering his 17th year.

But could the Lakers follow up with another dinger?

"We think we've got one this year," Kupchak said. "So you're asking if we can do that twice? I'm not quite sure that's possible."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-mitch-kupchak-our-roster-is-not-complete-20120711,0,4539765.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Nash on being in L.A.: 'Being here right now is something I never foresaw.' (AP)

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Steve Nash knew the scene was more than a bit surreal when he stood in the Los Angeles Lakers' training complex, grinning and holding up a gold No. 10 jersey with his name on the back.

"Being here right now is something I never foresaw," Nash said Wednesday. "That [jersey] was a major hurdle for me just to get over visually as a player."

The two-time MVP will get used to it. After spending the past 16 years trying to beat L.A. in Phoenix and Dallas, Nash is switching teams to chase NBA titles alongside Kobe Bryant.

The Lakers formally welcomed Nash on Wednesday, a week after reaching a deal to get the superstar point guard from the Suns. After several days to get used to these developments, the 38-year-old Nash is eager to open another chapter in his remarkable career -- a chapter that will extend to at least 2015 under his new three-year, $27 million contract.

"It's a franchise that I think everybody would dream of playing for," Nash said, evincing his usual sartorial style in a dark-blue pinstriped suit with an open shirt collar and a red pocket square. "It's an exciting project, to say the least. ... I definitely never thought I'd play 19 years in the league, and I feel very fortunate that I have my health and, most importantly, have the desire to do it. I still enjoy pushing myself to get better and produce. I don't foresee that changing, and that's the key ingredient."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/19565925/nash-introduced-to-lakers-calls-new-career-path-exciting-project
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:

I agree with you to a point. I think Steve Nash is the reason he's resigned. Ebanks displayed a nice ability to knock down jumpers. Without Nash, the Lakers may have let him go. For a player who's supposed to be sort of a like a utility guy who does the little things, he has so many games where he has ZERO's in the stat line. He got out of the the rotation for part of the year precisely for this problem. Mike Brown even said for Ebanks to see minutes, he wants to see some boards. Matt Barnes got so much playing time cause the man does not stand still, even though he sucks, he is constant activity. Ebanks, not so much.

Because he does have a mid-range jumper, I think Nash has something to do with resigning him. Ebanks is a candidate to bust out next year playing with Nash.

Last edited by Runway8 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Steve Nash never thought he'd make this move

Two-time MVP is introduced as a Laker. Mitch Kupchak doesn't sound optimistic about a deal for Dwight Howard.

By Ben Bolch

July 11, 2012, 8:01 p.m.
Steve Nash walked into the Lakers' practice facility Wednesday wearing a black pinstriped suit with a red pocket square, his white dress shirt bearing an open collar.

It might be the last time this summer a superstar breaks out the haute couture to be introduced as a Laker.

A day after the Lakers reentered trade discussions involving Orlando's Dwight Howard, General Manager Mitch Kupchak did not exactly express optimism that his team would add another celebrated player before next season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-steve-nash-lakers-20120712,0,4113792.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakers introduce Steve Nash

Updated: July 11, 2012, 11:01 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak welcomed Steve Nash by calling him "a thorn in the Lakers' side for most of this decade" during the two-time MVP's introductory new conference on Wednesday.

Nash hopes that by joining the Lakers, he finally will blossom into an NBA champion after a 16-year career that has featured its fair share of playoff disappointment.

"If you look at the opportunity that we have with the players on this roster and the organization's commitment to winning, this is going to be a really exciting chapter of my career," Nash said. "I've always wanted to win, I've always competed the best I can to try to win.

"To be back in a position to win again is a phenomenal feeling, and I'm really proud to be a Laker today."

Kobe Bryant and the Lakers dispatched Nash and the Phoenix Suns from the 2010 Western Conference finals in six games. But Nash's Suns eliminated the Lakers in the first round in 2006 and '07.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Steve Nash envisions 'a lot of adjustments' in adapting to the Lakers

By Mark Medina

July 11, 2012, 6:33 p.m.
Steve Nash smiled.

He smiled when he clutched the Lakers jersey in hand, featuring No. 10 under his last name. He smiled when he sauntered down the Lakers' practice court in a pinstripe suit. He smiled after gasping and exclaiming to start out his introductory news conference: "Wow! This is a day I never foresaw in my life, but just an incredible opportunity."

Don't mistake Nash's positive energy for clamoring the spotlight. He pretty much expressed indifference to the larger media market. He made no mention of his humorous films spoofing various superheroes. He spoke in calm and measured tones.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-steve-nash-clear-on-how-to-maximize-lakers-offense-20120711,0,1815437.story
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers in News July 11, 2012: Devin Ebanks re-signs with Lakers

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Devin Ebanks re-signs with Lakers

Small forward Devin Ebanks re-signed with the Lakers for a one-year deal worth a little more than $1 million, The Times has learned.

The move hardly elicits the fireworks the Lakers created last week when they acquired elite point guard Steve Nash. But it brings further clarity on how the Lakers will shore up their bench.

Ebanks, who will turn 23 in late October, has impressed the Lakers the past two seasons with his unassuming work ethic, length and athleticism. For the Lakers, this move keeps some needed youth on an otherwise veteran-laden team. For Ebanks, it gives him another season to convince the Lakers that he should be in their long-term future.

LINK

If we can't upgrade the SF, I wish the Lakers would start Ebanks. He can run the floor and finish, his midrange game is improving, and he is a pretty rangy defender. I know what MWP brings, but I would like to see MB give this kid some burn with Nash in the starting lineup. MWP can be the primary scorer for the 2nd unit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: