Lakers in News July 3/July 4, 2012: Nash to Lakers (YES YES YES)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Sources: Lakers get Nash

YES YES YES YES

Wow. I would not have seen this as even a pipe dream. I figured he really wanted to either play for Toronto or possibly the Knicks. I figured all those years hating the Lakers and the Suns wouldn't want to do the deal either.

I'll say it again, Wow.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! We are going to be must older not more athletic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:

R U kidding me??? We just got older & less defense & if G. Hill joins us, how ij the heck are we suppose to keep up with the young guns???

SERIOULSY!!!!!!!!! I went thru this with Vikes & Favre & look what that did for them & where they are now!!!

All their eggs in one basket for 1 year & as Heat proved doesn't work out in one year & even worse the next cause Nash & Hill a year older if Hill joins or even not Nash & Kobe have a lot of miles on those legs compared to younger teams!!!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject:

From NBA.com

Report: Nash Goes Hollywood

In Sign-And-Trade Deal With Suns

July 4, 2012 · 9:33PM

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Did someone mention fireworks?

The Los Angeles Lakers kicked things off before dark by pulling off an agreement on a reported sign-and-trade deal with the Phoenix Suns that will pair up Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant and two-time MVP Steve Nash in a backcourt of two of the league’s most sensational players.

The deal, believed to be for three years and nearly 27 million, include two future first round picks, two second rounds picks and some $3 million in cash going from the Lakers to the Suns for Nash, 38, who was also being pursued by the Knicks, Raptors, Mavericks and others.

Bryant was reportedly the lead recruiter on Nash and sold his former rival on a championship core (Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol) already in place and the need for an elite point guard to push the Lakers over the top. The proximity to his three children was also believed to be a major factor in Nash choosing to stay in the Western Conference

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/04/report-nash-goes-hollywood-will-join-lakers-in-sign-and-trade-deal-with-suns/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Steve Nash heading to Lakers in stunner that reverberates from coast to coast

By Ken Berger | NBA Insider
July 4, 2012 9:15 pm ET

In a stunning move, the Suns sent Steve Nash to the Lakers Wednesday in a sign-and-trade that reverberated from coast-to-coast in the NBA -- not to mention north of the border.

Nash, 38, will team will Kobe Bryant in a move that gives the All-Star point guard the best chance of his career to win a title. The deal for future draft picks and cash came at the expense of the Toronto Raptors, who'd relentlessly pursued Nash on the open market, and the New York Knicks, who were trying to lure him with their own sign-and-trade proposal.

Nash fits into the $8.2 million trade exception the Lakers received for dumping Lamar Odom on the Mavs before last season.

Bryant will play alongside the most prolific offensive point guard of his career, and the Lakers once again become legitimate title contenders as Bryant chases a sixth championship to equal Michael Jordan in the twilight of his career. But even as the mind blurs at the thought of Nash distributing to Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol, the deal raises so many more questions.

Would the Lakers venture deeper into trade talks with Orlando for Dwight Howard, or put their trust in Bynum -- whose immaturity rivals that of Howard but whose offensive skills far exceed those of the Magic All-Star? Will statistical paradigms explode with the possibility of Nash, the most skilled playmaker of his generation, making plays for Gasol, as gifted an offensive big man as there is in the league?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/19499511
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Nash Heads to Lakers, Leaving Knicks in Lurch

By HOWARD BECK and NATE TAYLOR

Published: July 4, 2012

The Phoenix Suns, despite some reservations about sending their star point guard to a division rival, agreed to a sign-and-trade deal. The precise terms of Nash’s contract were not immediately known. The Suns will receive two first-round picks (in 2013 and 2015) and two second-round picks (in 2013 and 2014), but no players. It is assumed that they will receive the so-called trade exception the Lakers obtained in the Lamar Odom trade last December.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/sports/basketball/james-white-forward-in-italy-agrees-to-deal-with-knicks.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject:

A done deal and personally I am thrilled. All he cost is the Odom expertion and 3 m cash with some future 1sts.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
I changed my tune when I heard that NBA doctors universally say that his issue is not something that is likely to be chronic.

I don't know where you heard that, but no doctor could give that sort of prognosis without actually examining Howard after he completes rehab. If someone cuts on your back, armchair opinions aren't worth much.

His surgeon has, for one. Dr. Watkins, who is a renouned Orthopedic Surgeon in Marina del Rey, has said that it shouldn't be a factor next season or throughout his career.
Tagurt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
A done deal and personally I am thrilled. All he cost is the Odom expertion and 3 m cash with some future 1sts.

Two 1st and two 2nds, which is a lot for a 38 year old.

But the Lakers definitely should do this deal. You can't argue against it.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

For all that are worried about NAsh's defense, I submit that it's a lot easier to deal with an opposing PG who averages 25 and 6 if you force him to guard a guy who averages 13 and 10, as opposed to one who only gives you and 9 and 4.

MIM

Last edited by MIMLaker on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lorain23 wrote:
doesn't matter. Mike brown won't know what to do with talent.

You're missing the LARGEST benefit of having Steve Nash. He is very much a coach on the floor. He doesn't need the coach to tell him how to run a team ... he just does it. We have essentially traded for a brilliant on-court offensive coordinator with a wicket outside shot.

He is instantly going to bring out the best in the talent on the roster. That's what he does. Look how good he made those role players look down in Pheonix. He kept that team in the playoff hunt despite their lack of talent. When you think about how he helped Gortat elevate his play, I can't imagine what he'll do for Andrew & Pau.
sugi942
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
For all that are worried about NAsh's defense, I submit that it's a lot easier to deal with an opposing PG who averages 25 and 6 if you force him to guard a guy who averages 13 and 10, as opposed to one who only gives you and 9 and 4.

MIM

Plus he can hit the three and because of that you must guard him. Stretch the floor deluxe.
gus26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Yes
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Suns agree to three-year deal with Beasley
Posted Jul 4 2012 10:52PM

PHOENIX (AP) -- A person familiar with the situation says free agent
forward Michael Beasley has agreed to a three-year, $18 million deal
with the Phoenix Suns. The person spoke on condition of anonymity
because deals can't be announced until July 11. Beasley, the second
overall pick in the 2008 draft out of Kansas State, averaged 15.1 points
per game in his four NBA seasons, two with Miami and the past two with
Minnesota.

His best season was 2010-2011, when he averaged 19.2 points with the
Timberwolves.

It has been a busy 24 hours for the Suns, who agreed to an offer sheet
with restricted free agent guard Eric Gordon on Tuesday, then agreed to
a sign-and-trade deal that sends Steve Nash to the Los Angeles Lakers on
Wednesday night.

link
adrian33
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
R U kidding me??? We just got older & less defense & if G. Hill joins us, how ij the heck are we suppose to keep up with the young guns???

SERIOULSY!!!!!!!!! I went thru this with Vikes & Favre & look what that did for them & where they are now!!!

All their eggs in one basket for 1 year & as Heat proved doesn't work out in one year & even worse the next cause Nash & Hill a year older if Hill joins or even not Nash & Kobe have a lot of miles on those legs compared to younger teams!!!

Nash's decline really began a few seasons back when Rondo broke his ankles on National TV. Yes, the stats are still there because the ball goes thriugh him - but make no mistake he no longer is a threat going to the glass or defending in transition... regardless of whatever uniform he wears. It just seems like a high price to pay - 4 picks for a 38-yr old.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Tagurt wrote:
Cha*n wrote:

What this is called is "win now at all costs, and worry about the future later". Kudos to the FO for taking this tack. Kudos to both Sarver and the Busses for doing right by the guys who have done so much for them.

BTW, I can't help but see the hand of Jerry in this. He may not have 4-5 years to wait for the next contender.
chinaurge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject:

bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject:

WOW!!!!!!!!! I've wanted this deal to go down for the last few years.

I NEVER expected it to happen! but then people started posting about it after the playoffs (even a little bit last year too). Then the rumours made it up to espn/nba.com. Then after Nash's comments about playing in LA seemed like there was 0 chance of this deal happening.

I really thought nash was going to end up in Toronto or New york.

Sure he's old, but if you watched him play last season he can definitely still contribute. At least more than what we've had.

Way to go Mitch

"It's actually never been any team that I've played on in my 20 years where we've been a flopping team" - LeBron James (May 2023)
IllegalD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Nash's Twitter follower is increasing faster than the US National Debt Clock.
celticsblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Tagurt wrote:
Cha*n wrote:

What this is called is "win now at all costs, and worry about the future later". Kudos to the FO for taking this tack. Kudos to both Sarver and the Busses for doing right by the guys who have done so much for them.

BTW, I can't help but see the hand of Jerry in this. He may not have 4-5 years to wait for the next contender.

Only problem with that, 24, is that this does not in any way, shape, or form yield "win now."

I'm not sure why this board is so stuck on the past (and I'm not referring to you, 24). Maybe it's an unwillingness to recognize one of the greatest to play the game at the SG spot is on his way out, maybe it's desperation, maybe both. But, this is a poor move.

Lakers just got worse at defending the PG spot than they were with Fish manning the point, and less of a threat to penetrate than Sessions brought... to pay a 38 yr. old who's only a half court PG because he can no longer run the court. And, for what? Yet another saddling contract for what?

Desperation. It's pretty easy to spot.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rapid Reaction: Sources say Steve Nash will be traded to Lakers
By Brian Kamenetzky

At the conclusion of the NBA draft last week, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said the Lakers were trying to hit a home run this offseason. Generally speaking, the assumption was it would have to come with a trade of either Andrew Bynum or Pau Gasol.

Or not.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports the Lakers have agreed on a sign-and-trade with the Phoenix Suns netting them two-time MVP point guard Steve Nash. L.A. will give him a three-year deal worth more than $25 million. The Lakers will absorb Nash into the trade exception created last year in the deal sending Lamar Odom to Dallas. The Suns will also receive L.A.'s first-round picks in 2013 and 2015, plus second-rounders in 2013 and 2014.

Home. Run.

It's hard to say exactly where this places the Lakers in the Western Conference because there are still so many directions they could go with the roster from here, but as it stands now, L.A. is back in the conversation. Deep into it, I would say, and once again Lakers fans have tangible evidence of the team's commitment to winning. I've been pessimistic about the team's chances of improving enough to legitimately contend over the next year or two, but the Lakers have taken a giant step toward proving me (and many others) wrong. I certainly didn't see this coming.

There is a ton to absorb here, but a few quick thoughts:

1. The major problem with trades involving either Bynum or Gasol is that in either case it was hard to improve. Both of those guys are already outstanding and fundamentally weren't the problem last season. Here, though, the Lakers acquire an elite player without sending talent out the door.

2. Worried about Nash's age? Don't be. He is still a remarkably consistent performer. Over the past five seasons, his efficiency rating (PER) has been between 19.55 and 21.67 (20.29 last year), true shooting percentage between 60.1 and 64.1 (62.5 last year), and assists/40 minutes between 11.7 and 13.7 (13.5 in '11-'12). Nash kept a fairly limited Suns squad in playoff contention last season, shooting 53.2 percent from the field, and 39 percent from 3-point range. He is an incredibly effective offensive player, even at 38 years old.

3. The Lakers have instantly gone from a staid, struggling team on offense to one with incredible potential. Nash at the point, Kobe Bryant on the wing, with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum up front (at least for now)? Good luck guarding those guys. The potential for spectacularly entertaining basketball is very, very strong.

4. Acquiring Nash obviously raises the same "How does Kobe work with an elite point guard?" questions prompted by last season's vetoed Chris Paul trade. Devastating a shooter as Nash is, he's someone who needs the ball in his hands a ton to be at his most effective. How exactly it'll look on the floor is tough to say right now, but just as he does Paul, Kobe has incredible respect for Nash. I don't anticipate problems with the two of them coexisting, beyond a normal adjustment period. Not only are the Lakers in better shape to help Kobe get his sixth title, his presence could easily add a couple more productive years to Kobe's career, just because of all the work he won't have to do generating offense. Conversely, the presence of Bryant and the bigs will take a lot of pressure off Nash, and increase the odds of him staying at this level through the three years.

Between Bryant, Nash and Gasol, the Lakers have three of the highest basketball IQs the game has ever seen. If things click, the results should be beautiful.

5. A huge question here is payroll. Obviously, the Lakers just added a major expense, and what they do in response remains to be seen. Does this increase the need to move Gasol? Does it impact their ability to extend Bynum beyond this season? Does this impact any Bynum-for-Dwight Howard conversations? I don't know. It's reasonable to expect a cost-cutting move somewhere (Metta World Peace seems more likely to get amnestied, for example), but the Lakers could play this in any number of ways. What I don't think they'll do -- or at the very least, hope they don't do -- is rob Peter to pay Paul. Adding Nash doesn't have the same impact if they dump too much talent in an effort to save money.

Moreover, with Nash now on the perimeter, it would help the Lakers to have all that size inside to help erase mistakes and discourage penetration defensively. This is a win-now move. Undercutting it with save-now countermoves turns good money into bad.

6. With the presence of Nash, Kobe and two talented big men, if the Lakers can find a spot-up shooter on the wing, they'll be in fantastic shape.

7. This ends the Ramon Sessions era in Los Angeles, as a source told ESPN LA's Ramona Shelburne the team is no longer pursuing the free-agent guard.

8. The next time someone tells you Jim Buss isn't interested in winning, you have your rebuttal.

9. The next time you see Suns owner Robert Sarver and team president Lon Babby, give 'em a hug. They traded Nash to a division rival, in part because they respected his desire both to win and stay close to his three children in Phoenix. (The draft picks help, obviously.) Suns fans might get just a touch apoplectic over this, but Lakers fans owe the Suns' brass some thanks.

10. Who needs Fourth of July fireworks, right?

LINK
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Nash to Lakers in sign-and-trade

Updated Jul 5, 2012 1:57 AM ET

PHOENIX (AP)

Steve Nash is going to the Los Angeles Lakers, a Pacific Division rival the two-time MVP point guard tried so hard to beat, with little success, in his eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns.

The NBA's top 10 free agents include some all-time greats.

At Nash's request, the Lakers and Suns reached a sign-and-trade deal, with Los Angeles using the trade exception it got when it sent Lamar Odom to Dallas to facilitate the transaction.

The 38-year-old Nash, who spent the past eight seasons with the Suns, was a free agent but a sign-and-trade agreement was necessary for the Lakers to afford him. He agreed to a three-year, $27 million contract. In return, the Suns get four draft picks - first rounders in 2013 and 2015 and second rounders in 2013 and 2014.

Nash's agent Bill Duffy said the deal was finalized Wednesday about 6 p.m., PDT.

In a statement released by the agent, Nash said that after he and the Suns agreed to part ways, he re-approached them to ask to pursue a sign-and-trade deal with Los Angeles ''because it is very important to me to stay near my children and family,'' who live in Phoenix.

''They were very apprehensive and didn't want to do it,'' Nash said. ''Fortunately for me, they reconsidered. They saw that they were able to get assets for their team that will make them better, assets they would not have otherwise had and it made sense for them to do a deal that helps their team get better.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Steve-Nash-goes-to-Lakers-in-sign-and-trade-deal-070412
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Uh...so. I guess this means Phil and the Triangle aren't coming back...

Okay, so the smart ones here know I'm posting tongue in cheek (or thumb in palm). But this move could not have happened 2 years ago. Mark one up for Jim...although I don't have any confidence in Mike Brown... Jim wanted Phil gone, he almost had Paul and now Mitch and Jim get us Nash. I'll still miss Phil, but I'm glad this happened.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject:

WARNING: Bleacher Report

Lakers Rumors: Antawn Jamison Headed to Los Angeles?

According to Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio via Twitter, Antawn Jamison may be within the Laker's grasp as a meeting between the two sides is set to be scheduled.

“Lakers also expected to meet with Antawn Jamison, probably early next week. Before you ask, he could put off Bobcats for year or two.”

The addition of Jamison could be huge for the Lakers, who are trying desperately to improve their bench.

Last season, the Lakers, were among the worst in bench production and were awful from three-point range. It remains to be seen what kind of contract Jamison will demand, but one thing is clear: Jamison wants one last shot at playing for a contending team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1247482-lakers-rumors-antawn-jamison-headed-to-los-angeles
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Nash to Lakers in sign-and-trade

Updated Jul 5, 2012 1:57 AM ET

PHOENIX (AP)

Steve Nash is going to the Los Angeles Lakers, a Pacific Division rival the two-time MVP point guard tried so hard to beat, with little success, in his eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns.

At Nash's request, the Lakers and Suns reached a sign-and-trade deal, with Los Angeles using the trade exception it got when it sent Lamar Odom to Dallas to facilitate the transaction.

The 38-year-old Nash, who spent the past eight seasons with the Suns, was a free agent but a sign-and-trade agreement was necessary for the Lakers to afford him. He agreed to a three-year, $27 million contract. In return, the Suns get four draft picks - first rounders in 2013 and 2015 and second rounders in 2013 and 2014.

Nash's agent Bill Duffy said the deal was finalized Wednesday about 6 p.m., PDT.

In a statement released by the agent, Nash said that after he and the Suns agreed to part ways, he re-approached them to ask to pursue a sign-and-trade deal with Los Angeles ''because it is very important to me to stay near my children and family,'' who live in Phoenix.

''They were very apprehensive and didn't want to do it,'' Nash said. ''Fortunately for me, they reconsidered. They saw that they were able to get assets for their team that will make them better, assets they would not have otherwise had and it made sense for them to do a deal that helps their team get better.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Steve-Nash-goes-to-Lakers-in-sign-and-trade-deal-070412
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: