Lakers in News July 3/July 4, 2012: Nash to Lakers (YES YES YES)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:

WARNING:LA Times Bleacher Report
it's only news because they have been lobbying hard for this trade to go down
Quote:

NBA Trade Rumors: Why Dwight Howard Will Not Be Traded to the Lakers

Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers is nothing more than a pipe dream.

It's not going to happen.

There have been more rumors about this subject than I care to recollect since the beginning of the year, the latest coming from Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski:

That sounds good in theory, but the devil is in the details.

According to Wojnarowski's aforementioned story:

However positively the Magic feel about Bynum, they still need the Lakers to take back one of their expensive veteran contracts Hedo Turkoglu or Jason Richardson as part of any proposed trade.

As Deion Sanders is fond of saying, "Hold on playa!"

The only way this deal works is if the Magic sign Howard to an extension, according to Wojnarowski's report, and you know it's going to have to be a max deal. Then, the Magic want to send one of their high-priced veterans to the Lakers along with him?

That's not going to work. It would completely counteract what the Lakers have been trying to do all summer long, which is cut their already-bloated salary cap.

Then, there's the minor detail involving a guy named Kobe Bryant, who, according to Wojnarowski,

...had a contentious phone conversation [with Howard] over a year ago about Howards potential offensive role with the Lakers, sources said, and theres been an uncertainty between both about how they would co-exist on the floor.

Howard to the Lakers would be a disaster of epic proportions from a salary-cap perspective, a personnel perspective and a locker room perspective.

link
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
VicXLakers and Ch*an

well I was just a bad boy and posted the dreaded LA Times Bleacher report that I always complain about because the news is they've changed their opinion on the trade along with the Times Medina
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Quote:

There have been more rumors about this subject than I care to recollect since the beginning of the year, the latest coming from Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski:

However positively the Magic feel about Bynum, they still need the Lakers to take back one of their expensive veteran contracts Hedo Turkoglu or Jason Richardson as part of any proposed trade.

The only way this deal works is if the Magic sign Howard to an extension, according to Wojnarowski's report, and you know it's going to have to be a max deal. Then, the Magic want to send one of their high-priced veterans to the Lakers along with him?

That's not going to work. It would completely counteract what the Lakers have been trying to do all summer long, which is cut their already-bloated salary cap.

Then, there's the minor detail involving a guy named Kobe Bryant, who, according to Wojnarowski,

...had a contentious phone conversation [with Howard] over a year ago about Howards potential offensive role with the Lakers, sources said, and theres been an uncertainty between both about how they would co-exist on the floor.

Howard to the Lakers would be a disaster of epic proportions from a salary-cap perspective, a personnel perspective and a locker room perspective.

link

Anyone else find it hilarious that this guy just figured out Howard's extension would be at the max? Really?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Quote:

link

Anyone else find it hilarious that this guy just figured out Howard's extension would be at the max? Really?

Exactly! That's why it's stupid to post anything these idiots write.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
24 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Quote:

link

Exactly! That's why it's stupid to post anything these idiots write.

yep...that's why the warning...I don't understand why the Times has anything to do with B/R...why do they want to lower their already low standards
I found it funny that they changed their tune right after Medina and made me wonder if all journalists write to impress the editor that might give them their next job
I also wonder how many come here for story ideas... not just B/R
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually going to give the Times a pass on flip-flopping on this issue. This is truly a difficult decision, and we can only hope that the Laker FO makes the right move. This is not slam dunk, if it ever was one, not with Dwight's back issues.

Does the FO want to wait until 2013 to see Dwight play (it's a possibility)? What's his incentive to hurry back from his rehabbing if he doesn't even want to stay in LA? He can't walk away from a championship team, of course, but what about walking away from a .500 club (assuming he's not healthy enough to start the season)? What does this mean if Pau is traded (to Houston, Minnesota, or wherever) for 2nd tier players - that the Lakes might start the season without Pau or Drew or Dwight? Will the Lakers even be a .500 team at that point?

I hope the FO is considering this when they make their decision. Dwight can let it be known through his people that if he comes to LA, he's not signing an extension AND he's not going to hurry back from rehab. That's his leverage. The Lakers cannot afford to waste another of Kobe's years.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject:

Quin Snyder to assist Ettore Messina at Cska Moscow

Quote:
wendell maxey ?@w_maxey
RT @bie_basketball RT @MarcoCalise: Quin Snyder will be assistant coach of Ettore Messina at Cska Moscow. http://bit.ly/N6WZUP reports first

link
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers rumors include old name (Dwight Howard) and new (Steve Nash)

An old name and a new one have circled into the Lakers' off-season plans.

A well-known Orlando Magic center has resurfaced as a trade possibility for the Lakers — welcome back to the fray, Dwight Howard — and so has Steve Nash, the veteran point guard most recently with the Phoenix Suns.

The Lakers are trying to land Nash, though it would have to be via trade and not free agency because they can offer him only $3 million next season, the "mini" mid-level exception.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
Nash not interested:

Quote:
One team you can likely rule out though? The Lakers.

"The truth is I am bit old school. I think for me it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just what it is. You play against them so many times in the playoffs and I just use them as an example with the uttermost respect for them and their organization. I think it was Larry Bird that was like he wouldn't play for them type thing. I kind of have that tendency.
goog because i don't want your a** in purple and gold !!!!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers concerned about Howard's back

Although the Orlando Magic and Los Angeles Lakers are discussing a trade that would potentially send Dwight Howard and Jason Richardson to the Lakers in exchange for Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace, the Lakers have some concerns about Howard, reports Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe should focus on NBA rings, not Olympic ones

Should he further tax his knees, ankles and other already overtaxed muscles and joints when his window to win another NBA championship is about to shut? Should his loyalty lie with our nation over Lakers Nation?
As much as he wants to do it for all the right, patriotic reasons, Bryant should sit this one out. And no one should fault him if he were to choose that path.
Of course, it's too late for that now. If he were going to pull out of the Olympics, Bryant would have done so already. It's not in his nature to back away from a challenge.

LINK
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Tanlentueux wrote:
DSF_27 wrote:
Nash not interested:

Quote:
One team you can likely rule out though? The Lakers.

"The truth is I am bit old school. I think for me it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just what it is. You play against them so many times in the playoffs and I just use them as an example with the uttermost respect for them and their organization. I think it was Larry Bird that was like he wouldn't play for them type thing. I kind of have that tendency.
goog because i don't want your a** in purple and gold !!!!!!

Not true. Here's the Suns beat writer:

Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic chimes in with this tweet: "The Lakers and Nash are interested in a sign-and-trade. Sounds like there's no way [Suns owner Robert] Sarver would do that for the Suns rival."

The Lakers and Nash are interested in a sign & trade. The Lakers would not have been working on a deal if Steve were NOT interested, since he's a free agent and would have to agree in the first place.

Players can say what they want when they think the Lakers aren't interested, but almost always their tune changes when they find out the Lakers ARE interested.

Unless you're Dwight Howard and the pressure of championship expectations versus wishes scares the crap out of you.

Last edited by LakerJam on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Although the Orlando Magic and Los Angeles Lakers are discussing a trade that would potentially send Dwight Howard and Jason Richardson to the Lakers in exchange for Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace, the Lakers have some concerns about Howard, reports Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.

LINK

Sounds like the Lakers are trying to lower Orlando's asking price.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

They should be concerned. They should at minimum wait until the trade deadline, every team looking at Howard should take a wait and see approach.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

Maybe, but on the other hand a back issue is a huge red flag for any athlete, especially one whose livelihood is based on his jumping skill.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

Maybe, but on the other hand a back issue is a huge red flag for any athlete, especially one whose livelihood is based on his jumping skill.

Normally, I agree with that. In fact, I've been saying the same thing quite a bit myself.

I changed my tune when I heard that NBA doctors universally say that his issue is not something that is likely to be chronic. If the Lakers were REALLY worried, I don't think they're even talking to Orlando, especially when there is already the risk that Howard won't re-sign. The Lakers have always been willing to gamble to be great, but I don't think they take a risk if health is an issue on top of the flight-risk issue.

You could also argue that both men are now injury risks, one guy with his knees, the other with his back. Neither issues are supposed to be problems with proper care and maintenance, but only time will tell.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like wishful thinking, Jam. That disc will never be the same and is a weakspot that's now prone to giving out easier than it did before. What threw it out to begin with? My guess it's because he's undersized to begin with. Sometimes an athletes strength is too much for their connective tissue and or bone matrix.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
I changed my tune when I heard that NBA doctors universally say that his issue is not something that is likely to be chronic.

I don't know where you heard that, but no doctor could give that sort of prognosis without actually examining Howard after he completes rehab. If someone cuts on your back, armchair opinions aren't worth much.
chazzz3dt_AB17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

BINGO.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Agreed.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Nets have no hard cap ... could take D12 & Turk's contract

Quote:
Larry Coon ?@LarryCoon
Okay, since I've been cagey about it all day, but now the news is spilling -- yes, the Nets got Teletovic for the $3.09M non-taxpayer MLE.

...and when I said "non-taxpayer MLE," I meant "taxpayer MLE." In other words, Nets will NOT have a hard cap at about $74.3 million.

There will be no hard cap for them now. RT @CarlosCampos85: Nets could take D12 & Turk's contract and be under the hard cap?

twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon
ParTneR888
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject:

What Lakers need is a good point guard, a 3 point shooter ....No need to trade Bynum....just trade Pau, Metta, release Barnes & Session. I like Nash, Dragic & Lowry.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: Lakers get Nash

YES YES YES YES
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject:

When i posted in this forum last month that Lakers should trade for Steve Nash..people BS me & laugh at me!

Now, who had the last Laugh???
lorain23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject:

doesn't matter. Mike brown won't know what to do with talent.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: