Lakers in News July 3/July 4, 2012: Nash to Lakers (YES YES YES)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Lakers in News July 3/July 4, 2012: Nash to Lakers (YES YES YES)

Quote:
Lakers' outlook on Dwight Howard should change

Within a seven-hour span, my opinion on whether the Lakers should pursue Dwight Howard completely changed.

Call me fickle and uninformed. But the same could apply to Howard, too. After constantly going back and forth on whether he wants to stay with the Orlando Magic or leave for presumably greener pastures, Howard finally put his proverbial foot down. He told Yahoo Sports on Sunday night that he wants to play for one specific team, which sources close to him indicated was the Brooklyn Nets. But that wish blew up in his face when the Nets reached a deal to acquire Atlanta forward Joe Johnson, guaranteeing they wouldn't have enough cap space or assets to secure Howard.

My opinion has changed on Howard simply because of the circumstances. The main uncertainty in the Lakers swapping Andrew Bynum for Howard involved his long-term future with the purple & gold. He made it clear through back channels he had no desire in following in Shaquille O'Neal's footsteps. Howard also offered unenthusiastic responses toward playing second fiddle behind Kobe Bryant. That backdrop put the Lakers at huge risk by giving up a huge asset only to see Howard leave after one season.

LINK

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers re-sign Darius Morris

More pressing matters await during free agency.

Will the Lakers hit a "home run" as General Manager Mitch Kupchak hopes? Can the Lakers sign a legitimate free agent despite having only a mini mid-level exception ($3 million) and trade exception ($8.9 million) at their disposal? Do the Lakers now have an opening with Dwight Howard, considering that the Nets have a deal in place to acquire Atlanta forward Joe Johnson?

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Rumors: Lakers Want Jose Calderon to Play Alongside Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol?

The Los Angeles Lakers have made it no secret that their biggest offseason objective is bringing in a quality point guard. This could happen via a trade for Pau Gasol, through free agency or thanks to divine intervention; no matter what, the end result would be the same.

LINK
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ding: Time to trade Bynum for Howard

Even if Dwight Howard is no longer asking to join the Lakers, who did stand with New Jersey and Dallas on Howard’s wish list during the season, the Lakers should make the bold trade for the Orlando Magic center now.

LINK
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Even if Dwight Howard is no longer asking to join the Lakers, who did stand with New Jersey and Dallas on Howard’s wish list during the season, the Lakers should make the bold trade for the Orlando Magic center now.

LINK

I agree.

Is it even that great of a risk to gamble on him, assuming he doesn't really desire to stay here? He's already said he'd play hard if he were traded to a team he didn't want to sign an extension with.

So, would it be worth it to rent Howard for 1 year, assuming he bolted in Free Agency, leaving $30M on the table? It would cost us Andrew Bynum, but it would also give us a legit shot at winning a ring next season and would create some cap space if he somehow left in 2013-2014.

Maximize what Kobe and Gasol have left, then rebuild with all the cap space later.
purplehaze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject:

Howrd will not walk away from the Lakers and 30 million more in a year from now.

Sign him NOW. Andrew will never be a franchise player in this fast past athletic league.
MemphisLAker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

I agree.

Is it even that great of a risk to gamble on him, assuming he doesn't really desire to stay here? He's already said he'd play hard if he were traded to a team he didn't want to sign an extension with.

So, would it be worth it to rent Howard for 1 year, assuming he bolted in Free Agency, leaving $30M on the table? It would cost us Andrew Bynum, but it would also give us a legit shot at winning a ring next season and would create some cap space if he somehow left in 2013-2014.

Maximize what Kobe and Gasol have left, then rebuild with all the cap space later.

Do it Mitch.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject:

If Ding is saying that, IMO he is getting some stuff from the Lakers (FO maybe) that the Lakers are interested in dealing for Howard using Bynum.

Because usually Ding's stuff comes from the LA POV, and if he's pushing this, I can't help but feel that is what he's hearing is the plan on the Lakers side.

If the Lakers were planning to keep Drew, I think Ding would come out and push that agenda. He seems to often promote the company line.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If Ding is saying that, IMO he is getting some stuff from the Lakers (FO maybe) that the Lakers are interested in dealing for Howard using Bynum.

Because usually Ding's stuff comes from the LA POV, and if he's pushing this, I can't help but feel that is what he's hearing is the plan on the Lakers side.

If the Lakers were planning to keep Drew, I think Ding would come out and push that agenda. He seems to often promote the company line.

well the Lakers are about to run out of time on this so they better get on with it and get it done if they will! Brooklyn trying to create a new big 3 with Joe Johnso/DWIl and Howard.... CMON MITCH !
st3vo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject:

Lakers need to make a splash so they can be, well, the Lakers again.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

I agree.

That's what I think too. Yesterday, I was still unsure, given how much Dwight obviously wants to avoid the Lakers, and given the new threat of Atlanta and their cap space, but now I say: Go for it! Trade for Howard, try for some veteran shooters (Rashard Lewis, Grant Hill types) and make one last run for Kobe and Pau. Then, if Dwight leaves, you trade Pau for expirings, and start the rebuild.

We're not winning anything as currently constructed, so why not take the gamble?
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

I agree.

That's what I think too. Yesterday, I was still unsure, given how much Dwight obviously wants to avoid the Lakers, and given the new threat of Atlanta and their cap space, but now I say: Go for it! Trade for Howard, try for some veteran shooters (Rashard Lewis, Grant Hill types) and make one last run for Kobe and Pau. Then, if Dwight leaves, you trade Pau for expirings, and start the rebuild.

We're not winning anything as currently constructed, so why not take the gamble?

This right here!!!! Lakers seems to be coming to their senses.. Moving Bynum and keeping Power makes better sense!!! I can see D12/Pau front court working than Bynum/Pau.. BUT will Mike Brown know how to use them together?
busym
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject:

I agree trade for Howard. He will give you 100 percent all the time. Something Drew doesn't do. Also he will not leave. He will love LA.
Loan Officer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:

purplehaze wrote:
Howrd will not walk away from the Lakers and 30 million more in a year from now.

Sign him NOW. Andrew will never be a franchise player in this fast past athletic league.

Right, just like D Williams is not leaving any money on the table either.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Howard to the Lakers? Not impossible. Just improbable

Quote:
Dwight Howard to the Lakers? Not so fast
By Mike Bresnahan
July 3, 2012, 12:03 p.m.
So the Orlando Magic are interested in Lakers center Andrew Bynum?

Its not necessarily a mutual romance.

According to a Yahoo! Sports report, the Magic have targeted Bynum in a potential trade for unhappy center Dwight Howard, who has been rumored to land on too many teams to count since last season began.

But the Lakers have a growing list of concerns about Howard, according to a person with knowledge of the teams thinking.

How's that bulging disk in his back, the one that required surgery and forced him to miss the playoffs?

Will he actually sign a contract extension after indicating privately he does not want to play for the Lakers? The Lakers currently wont accept a trade for him without getting more years tacked on to the one he has left (for $19.5 million).

Will he calm down? His demeanor irritated Orlando fans and led to nationwide criticism on how not to engineer ones departure from a team.

The Lakers have no desire to take back additional salary in a trade for Howard. The Magic would want the Lakers to absorb small forward Hedo Turkoglu (two more years, $23.8 million) or shooting guard Jason Richardson (three more years, $18.6 million).

Turkoglu, by the way, is 33 years old. Richardson is 31.

Remember, these are the Lakers that let Lamar Odom go to Dallas for next to nothing and haven't exactly thrown cash at Ramon Sessions to re-sign their starting point guard in the first few days of free agency.

Finally, Orlando would have to make a financial commitment as well. Bynum wants assurance he is not a one-season rental. He has one more year and $16.1 million remaining on his contract. The Magic better be prepared to pay him nowor lose him in 12 months.

Howard to the Lakers? Not impossible. Just improbable.

link
ParTneR888
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Howard will not help the Lakers....Lakers need a good point guard and some players w/ good 3 point skills....

Although between Howard and Bynum i will choose Howard w/out thinking.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject:

NBA rumors: Dwight Howard, Jason Terry, Jeremy Lin, Andrew Bynum could be on the move

By Matt Brooks

The Lakers are reportedly putting together a trade package focused around center Andrew Bynum. (for Dwight Howard)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/nba-rumors-dwight-howard-jason-terry-jeremy-lin-andrew-bynum-could-be-on-the-move/2012/07/03/gJQA7ITNLW_blog.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard to the Lakers? Not so fast

By Mike Bresnahan
July 3, 2012, 12:03 p.m.
So the Orlando Magic are interested in Lakers center Andrew Bynum?

It’s not necessarily a mutual romance.

According to a Yahoo! Sports report, the Magic have targeted Bynum in a potential trade for unhappy center Dwight Howard, who has been rumored to land on too many teams to count since last season began.

But the Lakers have a growing list of concerns about Howard, according to a person with knowledge of the team’s thinking.

How's that bulging disk in his back, the one that required surgery and forced him to miss the playoffs?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-dwight-howard-to-the-lakers-not-so-fast-20120703,0,7220021.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' offseason needs: Outside shooting

By Mark Medina
July 3, 2012, 2:00 p.m.
The first in a series analyzing the Lakers' biggest offseason needs.

So many offseason uncertainties fill this roster. Will the Lakers hit a "home run," as General Manager Mitch Kupchak hopes? Can Kobe Bryant continue to turn back the block? Will the Lakers keep Andrew Bynum and see his on-court production trumping his poor behavior? Will the Lakers get anything of value for Pau Gasol or perhaps just feature him better in the offense? Will the Lakers find any pieces to produce a more consistent bench? Can the Lakers add youth to their roster? Can the Lakers manage to address these issues while also trimming payroll?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-lakers-biggest-offseason-need-outside-shooting-20120702,0,7093067.story
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers and Ch*an
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers enter fray for Steve Nash

HANG TIME CAPITAL BUREAU — While the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks have made strong pushes for free agent guard Steve Nash, the Los Angeles Lakers have, quietly, entered the fray for the 38-year-old guard and are making a strong bid to acquire him, according to a league source.

LINK
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Lakers enter fray for Steve Nash

HANG TIME CAPITAL BUREAU — While the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks have made strong pushes for free agent guard Steve Nash, the Los Angeles Lakers have, quietly, entered the fray for the 38-year-old guard and are making a strong bid to acquire him, according to a league source.

LINK

38 year old. Never been to the Finals (with good teams), BACK PROBLEMS!......

And said "would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey".

Oh, wait, he's like the old, white version of Dwight Howard.....Totally get it now, my bad.

(yes I copied/pasted my post from the poll thread, is all I have to say on the Nash issue).
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I believe Sessions will be shipped out in the deal involving Nash.
We are getting older folks.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n - glad to see you back on these news threads. Thanks Wolfpacklaker, Cha*n and VicXlakers for the articles!
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Nash not interested:

Quote:
One team you can likely rule out though? The Lakers.

"The truth is I am bit old school. I think for me it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just what it is. You play against them so many times in the playoffs and I just use them as an example with the uttermost respect for them and their organization. I think it was Larry Bird that was like he wouldn't play for them type thing. I kind of have that tendency.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: