Lakers in News July 2, 2012: Dwight Howard Can’t Rescue the Los Angeles Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Lakers in News July 2, 2012: Dwight Howard Can’t Rescue the Los Angeles Lakers

Quote:
Dwight Howard Can’t Rescue the Los Angeles Lakers

The player many NBA fans know as Superman won't be able to live up to the moniker should he make his way to Hollywood this summer.
Though it's still not likely to come to fruition, a trade between the Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando Magic that would send Dwight Howard to Los Angeles would not be the answer to all of the Lakers' issues this offseason.
A new collective bargaining agreement has wreaked havoc on the Lakers' tried and true strategy of investing in the best players money can buy. It's worked over the course of the last decade or so, netting the team five titles since 2001. But the team now finds itself at a critical juncture with respect to the future of the franchise.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers express interest in small forwards Nick Young, Brandon Rush

Looking to bolster one of the weakest benches in the league, the Los Angeles Lakers have made preliminary inquiries to the representative of free-agent small forwards Nick Young and Brandon Rush.

Both are considered solid long-distance shooters but also beyond the Lakers’ price range.

Young, 27, averaged 14.2 points last season but only 9.7 points in 22 games after the Los Angeles Clippers acquired him from Washington at the trade deadline. Young, who played at Reseda (Calif.) Cleveland High and USC, is probably too expensive for the Lakers’ spending limit of $3 million, the so-called "mini" mid-level exception.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Lakers will sign Jose Calderon if Steve Nash goes to Raptors

The Los Angeles Lakers are the front-runners to land Toronto Raptors point guard Jose Calderon if Steve Nash does, in fact, leave the Phoenix Suns for his native Canada, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.com.

The Raptors would need to use the teams amnesty clause on Calderon in order to free up enough cap space to sign Nash, and Stein reports that as long as the Lakers keep Pau Gasol, Calderon would head to Los Angeles to play with his fellow Spaniard

LINK
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Andrew Bynum For Dwight Howard Rumors Resume

It was supposed to be the next best trade the Lakers could have made once Communist Stern vetoed the Chris Paul deal. Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard was all the hoops world could talk about as soon as Paul was pushed over to the other side of Staples Center.
Then Bynum broke out, Howard broke down and the deal seemingly lost all its momentum.
Now we’re right back where we stared as Yahoo! Sports reports that the Lakers are in the mix for the Dwight Howard sweepstakes with the Magic supposedly interested in Bynum and Bynum alone in exchange for Howard.

LINK
Crazy Like Ron Artest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Report: Lakers will sign Jose Calderon if Steve Nash goes to Raptors

The Los Angeles Lakers are the front-runners to land Toronto Raptors point guard Jose Calderon if Steve Nash does, in fact, leave the Phoenix Suns for his native Canada, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.com.

The Raptors would need to use the teams amnesty clause on Calderon in order to free up enough cap space to sign Nash, and Stein reports that as long as the Lakers keep Pau Gasol, Calderon would head to Los Angeles to play with his fellow Spaniard

LINK

So they wanna use the amnesty clause? They must use it? I thought they didn't want to use it?
Whatever. Calderon is a good choice for us either way.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Grant Hill: Hill has Kobe knee treatment, LAL interested

Unrestricted free agent Grant Hill reportedly underwent the same blood-spinning treatment that Kobe Bryant had over a year ago, and Ric Bucher reported Sunday that the Lakers, Suns, Raptors, and Knicks are interested in him.

LINK
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks wolf
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Thanks wolf

Yes thanks, real good of you.

calderon or Dragic to me are sleeper mini hits this off season, and I dont mean mini as nothing special, these guys are real deal players...But what happens when (if) we sign calderon and then move Pau to the Hawks lets say? The plot thickens...
Talking2ThaMoon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject:

Superman to the rescue!

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject:

I would jump on Calderon as well. But the thing is he has to go through the amnesty waiver and he probably realizes that Pau is being shopped and will be shopped throughout the summer.

I don't see it happening, but it would be a very good pick up for our offense. We'd need to get a Shannon Brown or someone like that who could defend the 1 though.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have expressed interest in every body that is semi available....Why?
Because this team is full of holes, I only hope we don't make the same types of moves we made last season. We ended up with the bottom of the barrel players..Murphy, Kabono and Sessions were not players that are going to make any kind of difference. Mcrib was a decent pickup and I think MB had no idea how to use his talent. MB is another hole in the Lakers.
Sessions...man, we gave up a 1st round pick for him, but maybe getting rid of Lukes contract was the goal, because Sessions having played for 4 teams in five is not a starting pg, slight build, not very athletic, has speed but not quickness, and has trouble defending.

Thanks Wolf for showing how desperate Laker management is....

The only way for the Lakers to have any kind of chance getting better is trading Gasol....I also hope the Lakers do not trade for Bynum for DH...DH is a major distraction...Hollywood being so close, DH would be a real problem...
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers aren't the ones expressing interest, it is the agents getting their clients media press by using the Lakers.

1. Howard to LA not going to happen
2. Young and Rush to LA highly doubtful
3. Calderon to LA because of Nash going to Toronto; Why would Nash want that?
4. Grant Hill to LA, Oh please isn't he like 90, and aren't the Lakers trying to get young players?

Honestly I have no idea of what the Lakers can do with their money situation and the current CBA restrictions. Try to get the best possible for Gasol (but don't expect greatness back) and get him off the books without having to pay tax. May have to bite the bullet and be a mediocre team for a couple of years and start turning the tide with good draft picks. Sorry Kobe but your salary is a major restriction and there's not much that can be done.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject:

Exactly what do the Lakers need to be rescued from? 5 titles since 2001, the second most total titles in league history? A lucrative new Time Warner deal? So, the landscape has changed and the Lakers may go through a dry spell for a few years. So what? There was a lull between the Showtime years and the 5 championships last decade too. It will be okay.
310LAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
I think the Lakers aren't the ones expressing interest, it is the agents getting their clients media press by using the Lakers.

3. Calderon to LA because of Nash going to Toronto; Why would Nash want that?

is'n't Nash from Canada Ehh?
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Unrestricted free agent Grant Hill reportedly underwent the same blood-spinning treatment that Kobe Bryant had over a year ago, and Ric Bucher reported Sunday that the Lakers, Suns, Raptors, and Knicks are interested in him.

LINK

So Lakers won't take a risk on B. Roy's knees but willing to do so on 100 year old Grant Hill? Ok
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

So Lakers won't take a risk on B. Roy's knees but willing to do so on 100 year old Grant Hill? Ok

One of them retired due to his condition. The other played most of last season.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Should the Lakers trade Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard?

Even with limited cap space and few assets, Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak laid out a blueprint he hopes the front office can follow.

"We will try to hit a home run," he said.

The Lakers always think big and bold. They're not afraid to take risks. When the Lakers come off a losing season, changes happen. But this new collective bargaining agreement doesn't allow the Lakers simply to adopt a big-money spending mentality. In the case of acquiring Magic center Dwight Howard, however, it would likely require the Lakers giving up a coveted asset in Andrew Bynum. Before, that decision appeared to be a no-brainer. Now, not so much.

LINK
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Here's my take on all of this. Unless Kobe's contract runs out, retires or he's traded the Lakers will be sentenced mediocrity. Given his deteriorating skills, and his almost half of the salary cap, how can the Lakers get any better? We all agree they need to get younger, faster and more athletic, yet how do you do that by sacrificing Pau? You're not going get young impact players for him. Even if you trade Drew for Dwight it's a push. They only way the Lakers are going to get better is either by drafting or tradilng for under developed talent. Most of the under developed talent are rookies and 2nd year players who are still cheap enough to keep.

I value Kobe as an asset, however realisitically he's an albatross for the next 3 years.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Rigged4fun wrote:
Here's my take on all of this. Unless Kobe's contract runs out, retires or he's traded the Lakers will be sentenced mediocrity. Given his deteriorating skills, and his almost half of the salary cap, how can the Lakers get any better? We all agree they need to get younger, faster and more athletic, yet how do you do that by sacrificing Pau? You're not going get young impact players for him. Even if you trade Drew for Dwight it's a push. They only way the Lakers are going to get better is either by drafting or tradilng for under developed talent. Most of the under developed talent are rookies and 2nd year players who are still cheap enough to keep.

I value Kobe as an asset, however realisitically he's an albatross for the next 3 years.

ouch!
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Rigged4fun wrote:

I want to get mad at this post but the bolded part makes it pretty inarguable. I didn't realize he was taking up that big a chunk of the cap. OUCH.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I think it's two years. But yeah I agree with you on that. Dollar for dollar tax, Lakers pay that to Kobe and have no problem with taking on more players. 5x penalty? They gotta go back to the drawing board.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers re-signed rookie guard Darius Morris on Monday

(Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times / July 2, 2012)

By Mark Medina

July 2, 2012, 5:23 p.m.
More pressing matters await during free agency.

Will the Lakers hit a "home run" as General Manager Mitch Kupchak hopes? Can the Lakers sign a legitimate free agent despite having only a mini mid-level exception ($3 million) and trade exception ($8.9 million) at their disposal? Do the Lakers now have an opening with Dwight Howard, considering that the Nets have a deal in place to acquire Atlanta forward Joe Johnson?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-lakers-resign-darius-morris-20120702,0,6440869.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject:

LAKERS GUARD DARIUS MORRIS SIGNS QUALIFYING OFFER

EL SEGUNDO - Los Angeles Lakers guard Darius Morris, who was tendered a qualifying offer from the team on June 29, signed the qualifying offer today.

Morris, who was selected by the Lakers with the 41st pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, averaged 2.4 points, 0.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 19 games last season.

He recorded a career high 9 points, career high 5 assists and career high-tying 3 rebounds on April 26 at Sacramento.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/120702lakers-guard-darius-morris-signs-qualifying-offer
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Mark Medina
I used to think it was a no brainer for Lakers to trade Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard. I don't think so anymore

Quote:
Verdict: The Lakers can't win another title with the current roster. They've proved that for two consecutive years. But acquiring Howard is no longer as clear cut an answer as many observers, including yours truly, once thought. The Lakers aren't afraid of taking risks, and it's possible this scenario could work out. But there are so many variables, it probably wouldn't. Although the solution lacks Hollywood gloss, what the Lakers need to do is upgrade their team with smart, measured moves rather than splashy ones.

link
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

These are the kind of inconsistencies you inevitably run into if you believe every rumor out there.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: