Lakers in News June 29, 2012: Report: Wolves planning serious push to land Lakers' Gasol
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Lakers in News June 29, 2012: Report: Wolves planning serious push to land Lakers' Gasol

Quote:
Report: Wolves planning serious push to land Lakers' Gasol
The Minnesota Timberwolves are pulling out all the stops in an effort to land Pau Gasol.

If they have to part with the highest draft choice in franchise history after just one season, the Wolves appear ready to do it.
That much became clear leading up to the NBA draft on Thursday, when Minnesota offered Derrick Williams to the Charlotte Bobcats for the No. 2 pick as a vehicle to help them land Gasol from the Los Angeles Lakers, two people with knowledge of the discussions told The Associated Press.
The deal never came together before the draft began, and the Bobcats stayed at No. 2 and took Kentucky forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. The people requested anonymity because the talks were meant to remain private.
The Timberwolves were expected to continue their pursuit of Gasol in hopes of putting him with fellow Spaniard Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love on a revamped roster aimed at getting the team back to the playoffs, and beyond, for the first time since 2004.
The Wolves' interest in Gasol has long been rumored, with the highly skilled big man considered an ideal fit for coach Rick Adelman's corner offense, and the kind of playoff-tested veteran needed on one of the youngest rosters in the NBA. He is also close friends with Rubio, the Wolves' superb young point guard who is recovering from a torn ACL and hopes to be ready early next season.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers trade Dallas for Johnson-Odom; draft Sacre

The Los Angeles Lakers didn’t make any major moves to find their way into the first round of Thursday’s NBA draft, but they were able to come away with more than just the last pick.

The Lakers acquired the No. 55 pick from the Dallas Mavericks, Darius Johnson-Odom, for cash considerations believed to be approximately $500,000.

"I think we got lucky being able to buy a pick like we did because we’re limited as to how we can improve our team," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told reporters.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mankind
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in News June 29, 2012: Report: Wolves planning serious push to land Lakers' Gasol

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
The Minnesota Timberwolves are pulling out all the stops in an effort to land Pau Gasol.

If they have to part with the highest draft choice in franchise history after just one season, the Wolves appear ready to do it.
That much became clear leading up to the NBA draft on Thursday, when Minnesota offered Derrick Williams to the Charlotte Bobcats for the No. 2 pick as a vehicle to help them land Gasol from the Los Angeles Lakers, two people with knowledge of the discussions told The Associated Press.
The deal never came together before the draft began, and the Bobcats stayed at No. 2 and took Kentucky forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. The people requested anonymity because the talks were meant to remain private.
The Timberwolves were expected to continue their pursuit of Gasol in hopes of putting him with fellow Spaniard Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love on a revamped roster aimed at getting the team back to the playoffs, and beyond, for the first time since 2004.
The Wolves' interest in Gasol has long been rumored, with the highly skilled big man considered an ideal fit for coach Rick Adelman's corner offense, and the kind of playoff-tested veteran needed on one of the youngest rosters in the NBA. He is also close friends with Rubio, the Wolves' superb young point guard who is recovering from a torn ACL and hopes to be ready early next season.

LINK

Holy (bleep), they wanted to send #2 pick and few others to Lakers for Gasol !!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kupchak says there's more to come

After spending the days and weeks leading up to the NBA draft trying to move into the first round, the Los Angeles Lakers were unable to do so Thursday night. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak took it in stride.

“To get into the first round, it’s not that easy to do without pledging substantial assets, so to some degree, it was a challenge to look for something that would be fair to do," said Kupchak, who had gone knocking on teams' doors equipped to hand over Pau Gasol wrapped in a bow in exchange for a top pick. "But for the last week or two, we think we’ve covered and canvased the league and got a feel for what the opportunities were there for us to move into the first round. ... So this is really the beginning phase of when teams look to improve their team.”

LINK
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Tried To Trade Into First Round For Sullinger Or Perry Jones

LINK
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in News June 29, 2012: Report: Wolves planning serious push to land Lakers' Gasol

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Mitch: Show me the Love!
usc/lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in News June 29, 2012: Report: Wolves planning serious push to land Lakers' Gasol

angrypuppy wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Wow. So Minnesota was doing all what they can to get the Lakers MKG. I'm seriously thinking a three team trade will come to fruition out of this.

Talking2ThaMoon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in News June 29, 2012: Report: Wolves planning serious push to land Lakers' Gasol

usc/lakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Wow. So Minnesota was doing all what they can to get the Lakers MKG. I'm seriously thinking a three team trade will come to fruition out of this.

This is good, because we're not the ones pushing to deal Gasol, we have stayed quiet and we've waited for other teams to reach out.

Now we got a team that's seriously interested, they are willing to give us anything outside of K.Love and Rubio, we have the upper hand in this trade to get the best out of it.

Mitch is doin' work, I'm counting on him.
Crazy Like Ron Artest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject:

I don't really see what the Wolves have to offer to us.

Beasley, Williams, Barrea and Brad Miller.

That doesn't seem half bad if Brad Miller's contract saves us money, I'm not sure.

Sessions/Barrea
Kobe
Williams
Beasley
Bynum

Still, no offer comes close to the Hawks offer but this isn't all that bad. It's not safe, you depend on Beasley turning the corner, Williams developing well...Barrea is a good asset though...you do save money with Miller perhaps, I'm not sure...

Who knows.
usc/lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject:

Crazy Like Ron Artest wrote:

That doesn't seem half bad if Brad Miller's contract saves us money, I'm not sure.

Sessions/Barrea
Kobe
Williams
Beasley
Bynum

Still, no offer comes close to the Hawks offer but this isn't all that bad. It's not safe, you depend on Beasley turning the corner, Williams developing well...Barrea is a good asset though...you do save money with Miller perhaps, I'm not sure...

Who knows.

I agree. Me thinks a 3rd team will get involved because there is no way Minnesota is going to keep Pekovic if they obtain Pau. And please, no Barea lol
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject:

There's nothing on the roster outside of Rubio and Love that is remotely enticing. Derrick Williams has distant upside, but that upside means little given Kobe's remaining shelf-life, assuming that is Jimmy's top priority.

Pau could end up in Minne, but it would be in a three-way trade.
Crazy Like Ron Artest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject:

usc/lakers wrote:

Sessions/Barrea
Kobe
Williams
Beasley
Bynum

Who knows.

I agree. Me thinks a 3rd team will get involved because there is no way Minnesota is going to keep Pekovic if they obtain Pau. And please, no Barea lol

That's what I was thinking, too. Pekovic is interesting because he's good yet we don't need him at all.
However, Wolves just don't have assets to get Pau, not talent wise, not salary wise. It seems like a very long shot.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject:

As Chicky baby used to say: It's nervous time!
usc/lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject:

usc/lakers wrote:

Sessions/Barrea
Kobe
Williams
Beasley
Bynum

Who knows.

That's what I was thinking, too. Pekovic is interesting because he's good yet we don't need him at all.
However, Wolves just don't have assets to get Pau, not talent wise, not salary wise. It seems like a very long shot.

I predict by this time next week things will be different. IMO a lot of the teams were waiting until FA to shake things up. It's reassuring that Minnesota was doing all that they could to help the Lakers out during draft night.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject:

Minnesota's players who are available have little interest to the Lakers. They could have Derrick Williams+Beasley for a year now. The Lakers wanted the #2 this year because I'm presuming they wanted Kidd-Gilchrist. They may view him as a poorman's Pippen maybe or an Iguodala type. He's also the youngest player in the draft so that's similar to their stance of molding players into stars. Same was with Bynum. Gilchrist perhaps has the most growing to do in this draft.

So now with that passed, the Wolves will need to survey the trade value of Pekovic and Derrick Williams ... see what that can fetch and then offer that to LA for Pau Gasol.

I don't think Pekovic/Williams will nab you an all-star. So if no all-star or no high impact young player, I don't see the Wolves strong pursuit resulting in a trade. Teams won't give Minnesota an all-star for Pekovic/Williams.
Talking2ThaMoon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject:

It's all about the big picture, you wanna tell me that you would keep the good old bench and swap Gasol for Smith? our team would still be too slow on the break, we need to add depth, not just star power.

we got our franchise player chasing that ring
we got an old dog that's still reliable on D
we got an all-star big guy that's developing into the best big in the league
we got a decent starting PG

we don't have any reliable 3pt shooters
we don't have a 6th man

improve our bench from 20 ppg to 30+ ppg and we're back in contention.
Crazy Like Ron Artest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject:

What's the situation with Brad Miller's contract?
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject:

Talking2ThaMoon wrote:
It's all about the big picture, you wanna tell me that you would keep the good old bench and swap Gasol for Smith? our team would still be too slow on the break, we need to add depth, not just star power.

we don't have a 6th man

Rook, I couldn't agree with you more.
Mankind
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject:

What's the situation with Brad Miller's contract?

How do you mean? He's retiring...
shaqobe2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Talking2ThaMoon wrote:

we don't have a 6th man

what the rook forgot to mention was we have redundant parts in Bynum and Gasol. they won't work together, yet they cost two franchise contracts, it's a luxury we can't afford giving we have so many holes on our team. we need to move one of them to get the aforementioned pieces plus future draft picks.
Talking2ThaMoon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject:

shaqobe2000 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Talking2ThaMoon wrote:

we don't have a 6th man

what the rook forgot to mention was we have redundant parts in Bynum and Gasol. they won't work together, yet they cost two franchise contracts, it's a luxury we can't afford giving we have so many holes on our team. we need to move one of them to get the aforementioned pieces plus future draft picks.

That's my point, swapping Pau for Smith would probably make us a little younger and more athletic but we'd still lack 3-point shooting and solid bench production, when we were a championship team we had a reliable bench (Brown, Odom, Farmar).
Crazy Like Ron Artest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject:

shaqobe2000 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Talking2ThaMoon wrote:

we don't have a 6th man

I agree with this rook.
MemphisLAker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject:

Talking2ThaMoon wrote:

we don't have a 6th man

Church
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject:

usc/lakers wrote:

Sessions/Barrea
Kobe
Williams
Beasley
Bynum

Who knows.

I would be happy with Williams, Beasly and Pekovic. Maybe we could trade Pekovic and a future pick for Kyle Lowry.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject:

Talking2ThaMoon is actually Jeanie Buss - because it's like talking to the moon with her brother.

Jokes, man! Jokes! But T2TM is pretty spot on.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: