Lakers in News June 27, 2012: Sources: Lakers shop Pau Gasol

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Lakers in News June 27, 2012: Sources: Lakers shop Pau Gasol

Quote:
What should the Lakers do with Pau Gasol?

It may be hard to remember now, but at one point the Lakers viewed Pau Gasol as a savior.

Once the Lakers acquired him in a trade in February 2008 from the Memphis Grizzlies, all sorts of reactions unfolded. The move immediately softened Kobe Bryant's frustration about the team lacking a championship roster. Lakers Coach Phil Jackson admitted skepticism that the Lakers could acquire Gasol for Kwame Brown, Aaron McKie, Javaris Crittenton, two first-round picks and the rights to Pau's brother Marc, whom the Lakers drafted with a second-round pick in 2007. And Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich incredulously suggested the NBA should have a trade committee to veto "trades that don't make sense."

Gasol then guided the Lakers to three consecutive NBA Finals appearances and two NBA titles. But then his standing among the Lakers quickly fell. Gasol's tepid 13.1 points on 42.9% shooting in the 2011 NBA playoffs largely led to the Lakers' four game sweep to the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference semifinals. The Lakers tried to trade him and Lamar Odom in a three-team trade to land them Chris Paul. Once NBA Commissioner David Stern nixed the deal for "basketball reasons," Gasol remained professional but continuously battled frustrations including endless trade rumors and a reduced role.

Now the Lakers are back to Square One on how they will handle Gasol's future. The Times' T.J. Simers recently talked to executive Jim Buss, who described the chances of Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Gasol remaining in Laker uniforms as "very good." Buss then suggested the Lakers would become better with Gasol playing closer to the basket. Still, Gasol hardly sounded reassured and told Spanish reporters, "I'm happy about what Jim Buss said, but I don't think that's a guarantee."

So that still leaves Laker fans debating how they should handle Gasol heading into Thursday's NBA draft and next week's free agency. As with anything regarding personnel moves, the Lakers' front office has plenty of variables to consider regarding Gasol's future.

Why the Lakers should trade Gasol: For the very same reason the Lakers originally traded him in the Paul deal. If the Lakers want to make any significant upgrades to their roster, they're going to have give up an asset. Gasol's remaining two-year, $38-million contract is simply too burdensome for a team suddenly worried about remaining over the luxury tax threshold because of harsher penalties stemming from the new labor deal. And even if the Lakers have yet to sign Andrew Bynum to a long-term extension, he's considered a more rewarding long-term investment because of his age

LINK

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers report card: Josh McRoberts' initial buzz wore off
This is the 12th in a series of posts grading the Lakers on the 2011-12 season.

Player: Josh McRoberts

How he performed: 2.8 points on 47.5% shooting and 3.4 rebounds in 14.4 minutes per game in the regular season; 0.3 points on 25% shooting and 0.7 rebounds in 2.7 minutes per game in the post-season.

The good: His high socks, high elevation and high energy created high expectations. The Lakers signed McRoberts to a two-year, $6-million deal to fill Lamar Odom's spot, but not to completely fill his absence. Yet, in the first month of the season, the Lakers were led to believe things would turn out just fine. During Andrew Bynum's four-game suspension to open the season, McRoberts started at power forward and averaged six points on 44.4% shooting, 6.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 25.8 minutes. His high motor and blue-collar work ethic instantly earned comparisons to former Laker Kurt Rambis. The new Lakers' forward epitomized the grinding mentality Coach Mike Brown wanted for his team.

When given the right opportunity, McRoberts seemed as if he could provide every intangible the Lakers could ever want — grabbing offensive putbacks and turning defensive rebounds into quick outlet passes. He'd be the Lakers' enforcer when opponents got too chippy. McRoberts would throw down a few dunks to remind L.A. there were two teams worthy of being called "Lob City."

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA draft: Possible Lakers picks

On most NBA draft nights, the Lakers could look at other teams unworried that they had an insignificant stake in the selections.

The Lakers usually came off championship seasons. The previous labor deal allowed them to spend nearly infinite amounts of money to acquire players more equipped to help them win now, not later. Opponents' efforts in restocking their roster worried the purple and gold very little.

LINK
Crazy Like Ron Artest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject:

Well, I'd rather trade Bynum but since that isn't going to happen, I'm afraid the best thing is to trade Pau. Unfortunately his value isn't what it once was, he's now viewed as good but aging so I don't think we can get good value in return for him yet the Lakers insist on getting someone as good as him in return which just won't happen. He can't play closer to the basket with Bynum and even Kobe on this team. It's just too crowded down there. So I think the best option is to trade him for 3 good role players or something along those lines. We won't get anyone as good as him in return, that's just illusion at this point and the Lakers must be aware of it if they're trading him. A year earlier we could've gotten Rondo perhaps, or that Rockets package but no way those deals are still on the table IMO. So best thing is to trade him for role players who unlike Pau fit the team and make the team more balanced while in addition help the cap situation.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' demise will continue without a major move

It happened with the signing of Shaquille O'Neal, with the hiring of Phil Jackson, with the trade for Pau Gasol.

It has happened repeatedly during the Kobe Bryant era, which, come to think of it, was the move that started it all.

When the Lakers traded Vlade Divac for Bryant in July 1996, they were eight seasons removed from their most recent NBA title. They then would win five championships from 2000-10, each triumph made possible by the respective additions of Shaq, Phil or Pau.
There were plenty of significant others added along the way. From Robert Horry to Ron Harper to Rick Fox, from Derek Fisher to Lamar Odom to Andrew Bynum, from, hey look, it's Phil Jackson again!

But the bare truth of those titles is that when the Lakers have needed to make a major move, when they've appeared to be drifting as just another outside contender, another "also ran" for a franchise and fan base that recognizes only "also won," they always have managed to produce magic.

Or, during another era, Magic. How else could a team miss the playoffs only five times since 1948? You do appreciate how ridiculous that statistic is, right? If not, consider that the mighty Boston Celtics, beginning in 1996, missed the postseason six consecutive times.

So that brings us to today's question: What, precisely, will be the Lakers' major move now? How will General Manager Mitch Kupchak turn a second-round loser into a Finals winner?

LINK
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mo Williams To The Lakers? Yes, Please!

The Los Angeles Lakers rumor mill keeps spinning, and the rumors continue with Mo Williams coming to the Los Angeles Lakers from the L.A. Clippers in a three-team trade which would also send former Laker Lamar Odom to the Clippers.

What would the Lakers give up? Not much, since the move would solely be to unload Williams’ $8.5 million contract to bring in Lamar Odom, and the Lakers have a trade exception from, of course, the Lakers’ trading of Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks.

Is this a good move? You’re damn right it’s a good move.

LINK
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, I'd rather trade Bynum but since that isn't going to happen

I would rather trade the player that leaves LA with a better situation post-trade.

And to me if that isn't Pau, it should be Bynum.

Kobe/Pau are proven. Give them a 3rd impact player that fits/compliments Gasol inside and Kobe, some defenders/shooters, and a good head coach and they'll win rings.

However Jim won't consider it. Bynum is untouchable, I don't think they are even entertaining the idea of trading him for Dwight. The vision has to have Bynum in it. And in the process we may have to kiss goodbye any shot at Deron Williams or any major trade that would improve us.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA draft: Lakers don't deserve blame for lack of first-round picks

In recent years, NBA draft nights at the Lakers' practice facility have been anticlimactic.

Only a few reporters who regularly cover the Lakers watch the draft proceedings on a large projector screen. No need for reporters to fight for a good angle to place their tape recorder as they interview the new draft prospect. Those interviews are done by speaker phone. Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak usually talks with the media, but very little is learned about what the draft prospect could provide for the Lakers, given they are late second-round draft picks.

A similar scene probably will play out Thursday. The Lakers' lone pick in this year's draft is the last one (60th overall).

However, after years of success, the Lakers have more of a vested interest this time around. After falling short in the Western Conference semifinals for the second consecutive year, and with an aging roster and more punitive penalties from the new labor deal, the Lakers are under a lot of pressure to build their team through quality draft picks. Unless the Lakers make a trade before the draft, however, that won't happen.

But don't blame the Lakers' front office for a lack of draft picks this time around. It became part of the necessary formula to ensure acquiring enough pieces to secure a championship.

LINK
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

I would rather trade the player that leaves LA with a better situation post-trade.

Kobe/Pau are proven. Give them a 3rd impact player that fits/compliments Gasol inside and Kobe, some defenders/shooters, and a good head coach and they'll win rings.

However Jim won't consider it. Bynum is untouchable, I don't think they are even entertaining the idea of trading him for Dwight. The vision has to have Bynum in it. And in the process we may have to kiss goodbye any shot at Deron Williams or any major trade that would improve us.

Agreed. Bynum is easily our most valuable trade piece. Too bad Jim loves him so much.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject:

What should the Lakers do with Pau Gasol? Keep him and trade Andrew Bynum for Deron Williams
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: Lakers shop Pau Gasol

The Los Angeles Lakers have been checking around the league this week to gauge Pau Gasol's trade value, according to sources briefed on the discussions.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Lakers have been contacting teams in an effort to acquire a top-10 pick in Thursday's draft. The Lakers also are seeking an established player along with the pick if they're to part with Gasol.

A deal was not imminent as of Wednesday afternoon.

Earlier this month, Lakers president of basketball operations Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak both said that a major move is unlikely even after Los Angeles' disappointing five-game playoff exit to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Gasol has been a coveted asset the past few years but comes at a high price. Aside from wanting picks and players in return, sources say that the Lakers want teams to assume the final two years and $38 million of Gasol's contract.

LINK
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject:

The Lakers must see someone they really want bad in the draft. Too bad Pau's value fell off a cliff because Drew's too good to trade and after him there is no one...
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Whether the Lakers trade Pau or Drew makes no difference to me so long as they get something good that vaults the team back into the elite 2.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Picking 60th in the NBA Draft

Typically, the No. 60 pick in the NBA Draft hasn’t had exactly the same amount of success as the No. 1 pick.

OK, it’s never been close … At least until 2011, that is.

While No. 1 overall pick Kyrie Irving was terrific towards earning NBA Rookie of the Year honors, the last pick in the draft, University of Washington product Isaiah Thomas, came out of nowhere to garner back-to-back Western Conference Rookie of the Month honors in February and March.

After the All Star break, Thomas averaged 14.2 points, 5.0 assists, 3.0 boards and 1.1 steals in 31:11 minutes.

Thomas, who earned his first name when his father lost a bet to a Pistons fan from the 1989 Finals, almost immediately became the best No. 60 pick ever, but that’s unfair to Steve Kerr.

Yes, the current TNT analyst and former ring winner while hitting threes alongside Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen in Chicago was the final pick of the 1988 Draft out of Arizona. And while he never averaged double figures in scoring, he won five championships and leads the NBA in all-time 3-point shooting percentage at an impressive 45.4 percent.

Aside from Kerr, there doesn’t seem to be even a close third.

Here are the rest of the No. 60 picks, at least from 1988 on … see who else you recognize:

LINK
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

It's a sad case. Bynum isn't likely to be what Jim thinks of him, but he is good and unique and young enough to be the Lakers best trade asset. I think for example LA could get Lowry and the 3 picks for him. Turn some of them into someone like Gallinari, whom Denver knows is no first or second option, but is paid near one. Or something similar.

Pau
platoon at 4
Gallo
Kobe
Lowry

Mo at 6th man

That's a pretty well put together unit.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Well I'm not sure I'd do that 24. I mean Drew has to bring back an all-star for me to want to do a trade for him leaving. It's reported Nets have interest in Drew for Deron. If you could nab DW, do it. Or as you suggested somewhere else Rondo/KG for Bynum. Or straight up with a few picks for Howard. Stuff like that has to be considered and taken. But I don't see Jim ever going there because he's married to Drew and sees his legacy begin and end with Drew's success.

Now if LA can't land an all-star for Drew, that's totally different. I wouldn't trade him for picks and a good player. To me it seems simple. The only goal should be to win a title or get closer to while not putting yourself in tax hell. If trading Pau accomplishes that, so be it. If trading Drew does, so be it.

What's concerning is all the trades I hear for Pau, put us better in a longterm Bynum/Jimmy's blue prints future window, but not in the immediate term, within the remaining years LA's best player can realistically win a ring. If we trade Pau for a starter and a high potential guy, we're talking about being a 2nd round team for another few years. And then when Bynum matures (if) and the picks are ready, Kobe is 36-37. Now contrast that to trading Bynum, it's not the same case. You probably get an all-star point immediately. Or at least 2 all-star caliber players. With Kobe/Gasol, that's probably enough to get out of the West next year. You have a realistic shot at getting to the Finals 2013 + 2014. Then Kobe/Gasol contracts expire. True re-build can happen after that.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Andrew Goudelock says he's losing weight this offseason

With fans chanting his name, Lakers guard Andrew Goudelock performed something few have ever witnessed.

He dunked a basketball, a feat the 6-foot-2 Goudelock later joked he's only done 15 times in his life. The significance went beyond the giddiness expressed by about 200 campers over Goudelock's sudden hops during an appearance at Camp Lakers on Wedesday at the Roybal Learning Center. It also gave a snapshot on how Goudelock's weight loss this offseason has helped him become more mobile.

Since the Lakers' season ended a little more than a month ago, Goudelock said he has dropped from 215 pounds to 203 through various changes in his diet and workout routine.

"It'll make me a litlte bit quicker and it'll make me a little bit more explosive," said Goudelock, who wants to weigh 195 pounds to open training camp. "I haven't dunked in a long time because my legs didn't feel up to it. But all of that has to do with what I'm eating and getting that extra weight off of me so I can move up a little bit faster and quicker."

LINK
indigenous
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Kobe/Pau was three years ago, when Pau still had a heart at least part time.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for this wolfpaclaker and LakerFan4.

Great job and I know the job, lol.

Oh, you missed Steven A.'s report on the Gasol trade btw, lol

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8103436/sources-los-angeles-lakers-want-established-player-top-10-pick-pau-gasol
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

It's a sad case. Bynum isn't likely to be what Jim thinks of him, but he is good and unique and young enough to be the Lakers best trade asset. I think for example LA could get Lowry and the 3 picks for him. Turn some of them into someone like Gallinari, whom Denver knows is no first or second option, but is paid near one. Or something similar.

Pau
platoon at 4
Gallo
Kobe
Lowry

Mo at 6th man

Yuck!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
24 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Pau
platoon at 4
Gallo
Kobe
Lowry

Mo at 6th man

Yuck!

Okay. It's better and more balanced than the current unit.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
24 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Pau
platoon at 4
Gallo
Kobe
Lowry

Mo at 6th man

Yuck!

Okay. It's better and more balanced than the current unit.

Pau at the center spot not only wears him out further by Week 4, it's a layup line for the opposition for most of the year.

Dude couldn't do anything with Faried in the post. I don't think Pau at the 5 is the answer or realistic. Not on this squad with the way the officials allow teams to defend the Laker post players. No how, now way.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject:

We shall see tonight
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: