Lakers in News June 25, 2012: What should the Lakers do with Ramon Sessions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Lakers in News June 25, 2012: What should the Lakers do with Ramon Sessions?

Quote:
What should the Lakers do with Ramon Sessions?

Within a three-month span, the Lakers went from having a bloated backcourt to one without a definitive starter at point guard.

The Lakers upgraded their point guard position before the trade deadline by acquiring Ramon Sessions. Then they felt it was no longer necessary to keep Derek Fisher. Despite Sessions' instantly bolstering the Lakers’ speed and pick-and-roll sets, however, he hardly provided the same clutch play in the playoffs that epitomized Fisher’s value. And with Sessions declining his $4.55-million option last week to become a free agent, the Lakers are left wondering whether to try to settle with a far-from-developed player or start all over again in bolstering their backcourt.

There aren’t easy answers, leaving the braintrust of owner Jerry Buss, General Manager Mitch Kupchak and executive Jim Buss with plenty of variables to consider.

LINK
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject:

Let him walk there's no sense in overpaying for someone whos balls shrink in the playoffs.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject:

Make him two offers, one 2 year worth 7-10 mil with a player opt 2nd year and the other a 3 year deal with the third year being a team option worth 12-15 mil. The Lakers can't afford to give out any more bad deals in this new cba, especially with the chance of having cap room in two years.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Make him two offers, one 2 year worth 7-10 mil with a player opt 2nd year and the other a 3 year deal with the third year being a team option worth 12-15 mil. The Lakers can't afford to give out any more bad deals in this new cba, especially with the chance of having cap room in two years.

Mmmm... I hope don't mean $7-10M annually.

There a lot of PG's out there. Sessions hasn't proven anything, and I think he'll be lucky to break $6M a year.

The optimal contact for the Lakers would be to offer Sessions 2 yrs $10M which is a slight raise and 3r year team option for $6M or buyout of $1M which I think is fair.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject:

Session probably gonna cost a little more than his back up, I think Blake is at 2yrs/$8mil...
Session was a great 4th or 5th options with the starting line up but looked scared in the playoff
Unless we're getting a marquee PG, he's the best PG available
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't read too much into Sessions shrinking. It was his first playoffs, and he came to a team late with exactly one real practice, and Brown guttend what he instinctually wanted to do. I like the kid. He's not an elite PG, but he's at least a solid starter in this league, and he is at least a near elite guy in terms of P&R skills. If you can nab him for less than the MLE, you've got a quality starter at less than average pay.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What should the Lakers do next?

With the NBA Finals now over, attention locally has turned back to the Lakers. There's a sense that the Lakers are at some sort of crossroads now. The roster as currently constructed is not good enough to win a title, and it's clearly a step below the Oklahoma City Thunder in the West.

So what should the Lakers do? Unfortunately, the team is stuck because there's not a move that I see which can put the Lakers over the hump.

There are some people (including a few individuals in the Lakers front office) who believe that the team should build around Andrew Bynum. If you're one of those people, then I think you're completely delusional.

LINK
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I wouldn't read too much into Sessions shrinking. It was his first playoffs, and he came to a team late with exactly one real practice, and Brown guttend what he instinctually wanted to do. I like the kid. He's not an elite PG, but he's at least a solid starter in this league, and he is at least a near elite guy in terms of P&R skills. If you can nab him for less than the MLE, you've got a quality starter at less than average pay.

Do you think Sessions waits for the trade season to die down, to see if Lakers are trading for a starting PG? Or does Sessions take the highest $$$ and not wait for the starting PG via trade situation to resolve itself first?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Do you think Sessions waits for the trade season to die down, to see if Lakers are trading for a starting PG? Or does Sessions take the highest $$$ and not wait for the starting PG via trade situation to resolve itself first?

I don't think Sessions will have a lot of options. He's not a guy you build a team around, he's a complimentary piece, so he isn't going to be in the initial round of offers from cap room teams. I don't expect he's at the top of the MLE list either, so he's going to have to wait until things shake out.

My gut tells me he's not going to get a raise, and he probably knows this. He's just looking essentially for an extension, lock in multiple years. This is why LA is a bit uncomfortable. They were hoping to see a full year from him before committing to a longer term deal.

I expect he's going to be back in LA on a 3-4 year deal, but not a terribly expensive one. But since he opted out, he's put LA into a mode of seeing what else is there before they make that offer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

I don't think Sessions will have a lot of options. He's not a guy you build a team around, he's a complimentary piece, so he isn't going to be in the initial round of offers from cap room teams. I don't expect he's at the top of the MLE list either, so he's going to have to wait until things shake out.

My gut tells me he's not going to get a raise, and he probably knows this. He's just looking essentially for an extension, lock in multiple years. This is why LA is a bit uncomfortable. They were hoping to see a full year from him before committing to a longer term deal.

I expect he's going to be back in LA on a 3-4 year deal, but not a terribly expensive one. But since he opted out, he's put LA into a mode of seeing what else is there before they make that offer.

I would sign Sessions to, I think there is room to grow. On his previous teams, he was used to getting an early vacation and not having any consequential games. He's finally tasted the limelight. One would hope he improves.

However, I see him waiting to see what the lakers' moves are re: trading Pau for a PG, if at all. I doubt he wants to be relegated to backup PG again, even if it's the Lakers.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject:

I say 4 year 20 million all guaranteed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:

Right ballpark IMO. Maybe even a touch lower if there isn't anything else out there.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

Right ballpark IMO. Maybe even a touch lower if there isn't anything else out there.

Not going to happen. The deal is either 3 yrs guaranteed or the best one for the Lakers which is 2 yrs and 3rd year team option w/a buyout.
#Avatar-gate
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject:

3 years 12 million is my guess

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

Not going to happen. The deal is either 3 yrs guaranteed or the best one for the Lakers which is 2 yrs and 3rd year team option w/a buyout.

If this is the case, probably a higher per-year ($5.5-6) to accommodate shorter years and a buyout.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

Yeah, years will be the main negotiating point.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

Yup, the expiration is KEY because all major contract commitments (Kobe & Pau) will expire after the 2013/14 season. Of course if a major deal for Pau happened, then back to the drawing board. I do think the Lakers prefer 3 yr deals for a max length.
#Avatar-gate
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

Yup, the expiration is KEY because all major contract commitments (Kobe & Pau) will expire after the 2013/14 season. Of course if a major deal for Pau happened, then back to the drawing board. I do think the Lakers prefer 3 yr deals for a max length.

I don't think Sessions deal will be a huge impediment in the future. It's more about whether they think he's a long term fit than about cap room.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

I don't think Sessions deal will be a huge impediment in the future. It's more about whether they think he's a long term fit than about cap room.

But what is a long term fit tho? It's not as though you have Kobe locked in for another 5 season. The only guy is Bynum - gotta see if Sessions can play with the golden boy.
#Avatar-gate
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

But what is a long term fit tho? It's not as though you have Kobe locked in for another 5 season. The only guy is Bynum - gotta see if Sessions can play with the golden boy.

yeah, ideally, LA would have liked a full season (hence wishing he would have picked up his option year) to see how he fits with Bynum, and evaluate him overall as a starter on a playoff team, before having to make long term commitments.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Thanks LF4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' off-season littered with questions

--The Times' T.J. Simers argues that Kobe Bryant provides more problems than solutions for the Lakers' long-term future. Simers also talks to Jim Buss, who says he doesn't expect the Lakers to make any major moves.

--The Times' Bill Plaschke takes issue with some of Buss' comments to Simers.

--The Times' Mike Bresnahan talks to Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak, who says the Lakers have to have a contingency plan in case Ramon Sessions isn't available as a free agent.

--The Times' Broderick Turner provides a mock draft.

--NBA.com's Fran Blinebury ranks the top free agents.

--The Orange County Register's Earl Bloom explains the lessons the Lakers could take from Miami's 2012 NBA title.

--Fox Sports Ohio's Sam Amico reports that the Lakers are looking to trade for a first-round pick in this year's draft.

--ESPN Los Angeles' Andy and Brian Kamenetzky, along with Arash Markazi, debate the following topic: "If you could only keep Andrew Bynum or Pau Gasol, but not both, which seven-footer would still be on the Lakers next season?"

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Draft … Coming Soon

When Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak checked in with us on June 8, he explained that the front office will approach Thurday’s 2012 NBA Draft the same way as they would if they had more than just the 60th pick.

In other words, Kupchak and his staff prepare to make every single pick of the 60, in case of a trade or the purchasing of a draft pick that could have the Lakers moving up in the second round or into the first round.

Why do they have only the Draft’s final pick, at least for the time being?

LAKERS 2012 DRAFT DETAILS/TRANSACTIONS
- L.A.’s 2012 first round pick was traded to Cleveland along with Luke Walton and Jason Kapono in exchange for Ramon Sessions and Christian Eyenga at the trade deadline in March. The Cavs will select at pick No. 24.
- L.A. had acquired an additional first round pick from Dallas in exchange for Lamar Odom, a trade exception and the Lakers 2012 second round pick, but at the deadline moved that first round pick to Houston along with Derek Fisher in exchange for Jordan Hill. The pick from Dallas is top 20 protected for six years. Since Cuban’s crew selects 17th this season, the pick will remain with the Mavericks, and eventually go to Houston once the pick is not in the top 20 (or six years pass). That L.A. second rounder Dallas acquired gives them the 55th overall pick in 2012.
- L.A.’s No. 60 pick comes from the Sasha Vujacic trade to the Brooklyn (then New Jersey) Nets on Dec. 15, 2010, a pick the Nets had acquired from Chicago.

To prepare for the draft and the subsequent flurry of front office activity once free agency hits on July 1, Kupchak has been getting to know contract issues for all players outside of the country, learning about all of the players in the draft and becoming increasingly familiar with the free agent class. In short, he and his staff will canvas the rest of the league to figure out which other teams might value certain players on L.A.’s roster, and vice versa, to see if a trade can be worked out.

That said, Kupchak told us that he’d be surprised if a “major” deal occurs, due in some part to the limitations of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, but it always depends upon what is available and for what price.

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks WP. Glad to contribute.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject:

My thanks to our new intrepid news team
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: