Lakers in the News June 17, 2012: Report: Bryant, Nowitzki among NBA's most overpaid
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject:

All your base are belong to us.

I love these literal translations.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Bryant, Nowitzki among NBA’s most overpaid

According to the statistical wizardry of noted NBA numbers nerd David Berri, Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant is the league’s second-most overpaid player, trailing only Washington’s Rashard Lewis. Berri’s calculations, which are based on how much teams pay for each victory, indicate that Bryant produced less than three wins for his $25 million salary.

THIS IS WHY I THINK STATS ARE STUPID AT TIMES, NOWITZKI AND BRYANT ARE BY FAR THE MAIN REASON DALLAS/LA WOULD EVER WIN A RING
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

According to the statistical wizardry of noted NBA numbers nerd David Berri, Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant is the league’s second-most overpaid player, trailing only Washington’s Rashard Lewis. Berri’s calculations, which are based on how much teams pay for each victory, indicate that Bryant produced less than three wins for his $25 million salary.

THIS IS WHY I THINK STATS ARE STUPID AT TIMES, NOWITZKI AND BRYANT ARE BY FAR THE MAIN REASON DALLAS/LA WOULD EVER WIN A RING

True, plus you're not overpaid when you generate 2 to 3 times your annual salary every year.

Also, is this dude seriously saying that Kobe's presence was only responsible for less than 3 wins on the season? Talk about absolutely idiotic.
LakersDCMD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

True, plus you're not overpaid when you generate 2 to 3 times your annual salary every year.

Also, is this dude seriously saying that Kobe's presence was only responsible for less than 3 wins on the season? Talk about absolutely idiotic.

LMAO Kobe only produced 3 wins? These stat dudes will never leave. Does he take in account the attention he draws? Did he see Bynums percentage in the games he was out? I don't even think bad players like Barnes only produce 3 wins.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
bodyrock wrote:
There might be some truth to this as Pau and Marc was hanging around together in Menorca Islands in Spain over the weekend

I'm sure they hang out together in Spain during the off season quite a lot . . . they are brothers after all.

In another Rumor, I hear their family is from Spain as well.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
bodyrock wrote:
There might be some truth to this as Pau and Marc was hanging around together in Menorca Islands in Spain over the weekend

I'm sure they hang out together in Spain during the off season quite a lot . . . they are brothers after all.

Not only are they brothers, but they're also related.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
bodyrock wrote:

Have the same parents too. I hear the parents are also Spanish.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Have the same parents too. I hear the parents are also Spanish.

Pau was seen having lunch with a spinster who looked to be twice his age. Paparazzi photographed the credit receipt she signed and it read "Mrs Gasol". Seems Pau married a cougar whom he was overheard calling "Mamacita".
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe, Gasol lose horse to QB Brees

INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP)

A horse named Siempre Mio has gone from one MVP owner to another.

The 4-year-old gelding raced Sunday at Betfair Hollywood Park with 2008 NBA MVP Kobe Bryant and Los Angeles Lakers teammate Pau Gasol among his owners. Upon crossing the finish line in second place, he belonged to 2009 NFL MVP Drew Brees and his partners.

Yes, Brees claimed a racehorse away from Bryant and Gasol.

In US horse racing, a great number of races are called claiming races. That means any horse entered can be "claimed" at the designated price for the race. It's a way of evening out the competition so that horses worth $100,000 aren't overwhelming less-talented stock worth $10,000 or so. It keeps the races, and the betting, competitive.

In the case of Siempre Mio in the first race Sunday, the claiming price was $12,500.

Given that Bryant and Gasol each paid $8,000 for a one-quarter share of the racehorse, Brees' ownership group might have made a shrewd claim. Brees is a partner in Donkey Island Racing, best known for the 3-year-old Holy Candy. Trainer Mark Glatt made the claim on behalf of the new owners.

Siempre Mio was trained by Doug O'Neill, who guided I'll Have Another to recent victories in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Siempre Mio took on five other older horses at six furlongs Sunday, a race won by Valkyrie Missile. Ridden by Joy Scott, Siempre Mio returned $2.60 on a $2 place bet.

Whereas I'll Have Another gained fame by rallying in the stretch, Siempre Mio got tagged at the finish. Scott pushed him to the front early, and he led by five lengths in the stretch before Valkyrie Missile charged late to win by a nose.

Bryant and Gasol bought into the gelding during a Lakers charity fund-raiser in April. They engaged in a bidding war, and Bryant outbid Gasol by $8,000. Santa Anita CEO Mark Verge, who had the majority stake in the horse, then offered Gasol a 25 percent interest if he made a separate donation to the team's foundation.

Verge said Gasol has been a regular visitor at O'Neill's barn since the Lakers lost in the second round of the playoffs. O'Neill said Gasol is in love with all the horses in the trainer's barn.

Siempre Mio earned $4,600 of the $23,000 purse. Since he was claimed for $12,500, that's a total of $17,100 for the day for the former owners. A quarter of that is $4,275, which puts Bryant and Gasol $3,725 in the hole apiece.

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/new-orleans-saints-qb-drew-brees-claims-horse-siempre-mio-owned-by-los-angeles-lakers-stars-kobe-bryant-pau-gasol-061712
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Gay for Gasol works straight up. OJ Mayo has a qualifying offer the Grizz need to sign him too, which would pay him 7 mil next year before he is unrestricted for next summer. If the Lakers take on Gay, that means Artest is out. So, Gasol and Artest for Mayo and Gay would be a trade I would be ecstatic about. You trade two 30 year olds on their last years for a 25 and 26 year old studs who can shoot and score and play D.

Bynum
Hill
Gay
Bryant
Mayo

Fill in the blanks with a shooter and one more back up center/pf and I would take that team to win a title next year without even flinching...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
Gay for Gasol works straight up. OJ Mayo has a qualifying offer the Grizz need to sign him too, which would pay him 7 mil next year before he is unrestricted for next summer. If the Lakers take on Gay, that means Artest is out. So, Gasol and Artest for Mayo and Gay would be a trade I would be ecstatic about. You trade two 30 year olds on their last years for a 25 and 26 year old studs who can shoot and score and play D.

Bynum
Hill
Gay
Bryant
Mayo

Fill in the blanks with a shooter and one more back up center/pf and I would take that team to win a title next year without even flinching...

Except Memphis has no rational reason to take MWP, who almost certainly wouldn't play there.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject:

[quote="wolfpaclaker"]
Quote:

Someone beat them to it (albeit different methodology) by about eight months.

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
bodyrock wrote:

Are you sure we're not just being racist? Just because they're both from Puerto Rico and share the same last name doesn't mean they're related.
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
55 wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
bodyrock wrote:

Are you sure we're not just being racist? Just because they're both from Puerto Rico and share the same last name doesn't mean they're related.

LOL
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject:

Larry Coon wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Someone beat them to it (albeit different methodology) by about eight months.

LINK

Ha, True. And now that's a more reasonable breakdown of player salaries on which teams have spent their money best.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Either Durant or Lebron will be the main reason their respective team wins the Finals. Both are making about 10 million less than Kobe (an amount that could've netted a heck of a player). You don't need to make 25 million dollars to lead a team to a series. In fact, if anything, it's counterproductive.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but true. Kobe is overpaid. 25 million dollars worth of excuses as to why his teammates aren't good enough to get past the 2nd round.
loanman_316
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject:

would love gasol/artest for gay/mayo but it only accomplishes on of our goals which is to get younger and more athletic. it does nothing in getting us under the cap. plus i dont see memphis wanting ron nor do i see ron wanting to go to memphis. the next two years have the possibility of being pretty rough for laker fans.if mitch and jimmy can figure out a way to turn this team into a contender with the severe salary cap restrictions that are in place it would be one of the best jobs a gm has done in the history of the league. the should put a statue of mitch outside immediately if this happens
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Either Durant or Lebron will be the main reason their respective team wins the Finals. Both are making about 10 million less than Kobe (an amount that could've netted a heck of a player). You don't need to make 25 million dollars to lead a team to a series. In fact, if anything, it's counterproductive.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but true. Kobe is overpaid. 25 million dollars worth of excuses as to why his teammates aren't good enough to get past the 2nd round.

Kobe made what they do at that time as well, and they will be making top money pas their prime...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: