Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Quote:
Trayvon Martin, an unarmed African-American teenager, was shot and killed in a gated community in Florida late last month by a white neighborhood watch captain, according to police. But the watch captain, George Zimmerman — a 28-year-old college student who has admitted to police that he shot the young man — still walks free. And Martin's family is pleading for answers and demanding justice.

LINK

This is disgusting. That whole police department should be shut down. So I guess all you have to do in Florida after you admittedly gun an unarmed kid down is claim self-defense and you can just go home and chill out.

Although I can understand how threatening some 140 lbs kid can be when they're armed to the teeth in skittles and all you have is a gun and a car to defend yourself. That kid should have known better than to be black out in public.

Quote:
"Right now we're all on pins and needles," Tracy Martin said. "When I asked the police why there's been no arrest, they told me they respected [Zimmerman's] background, that he studied criminal justice for four years and that he was squeaky clean."

In other words, he's white, and that means he's a trustworthy guy.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject:

So if someone is walking down the street and they look suspicious, you have the right to gun them down? Wow, I don't think I'll ever be visiting Florida.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject:

What the hell? That scumbag CHASED HIM DOWN and then killed him when the kid was unarmed! How is that even legal? That's not even close to self-defense. That's second-degree murder. Zimmerman should be in jail for life.

All the kid wanted was some candy for his little brother. Racism is alive and well, I guess.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
So if someone is walking down the street and they look black, you have the right to gun them down? Wow, I don't think I'll ever be visiting Florida.

Fixed for redneck law

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:
Trayvon Martin, an unarmed African-American teenager, was shot and killed in a gated community in Florida late last month by a white neighborhood watch captain, according to police. But the watch captain, George Zimmerman — a 28-year-old college student who has admitted to police that he shot the young man — still walks free. And Martin's family is pleading for answers and demanding justice.

LINK

This is disgusting. That whole police department should be shut down. So I guess all you have to do in Florida after you admittedly gun an unarmed kid down is claim self-defense and you can just go home and chill out.

Although I can understand how threatening some 140 lbs kid can be when they're armed to the teeth in skittles and all you have is a gun and a car to defend yourself. That kid should have known better than to be black out in public.

Quote:
"Right now we're all on pins and needles," Tracy Martin said. "When I asked the police why there's been no arrest, they told me they respected [Zimmerman's] background, that he studied criminal justice for four years and that he was squeaky clean."

I like how the link you provided doesn't mention that the guard was bleeding from the nose and the back of the head.

---George Carlin
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

I like how the link you provided doesn't mention that the guard was bleeding from the nose and the back of the head.

You mean the gun-toting redneck who followed a teenager in his car and then get out of his car to confront the teen? Why would those details matter?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
lakerboy2117
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
So if someone is walking down the street and they look suspicious, you have the right to gun them down? Wow, I don't think I'll ever be visiting Florida.

Depends on the color of your skin. If you white u safe.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject:

what the heck is wrong with florida? the 2000 fixed election? the kid who was sentenced to death for accidently killing his sister while immitating wrestling moves. the casey anthony murder?, it seems like that whole entire state mentality is stuck in the 1860's
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject:

lakerboy2117 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Not if you're white in Compton.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
lakerboy2117 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Not if you're white in Compton.

Or Kompton, or Bompton, as JR and the Pirus call it, respectively.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
what the heck is wrong with florida? the 2000 fixed election? the kid who was sentenced to death for accidently killing his sister while immitating wrestling moves. the casey anthony murder?, it seems like that whole entire state mentality is stuck in the 1860's

It's where old people go to die. So you're looking at a population that's mostly conservative, anti-marijuana, old school racist, etc. Plus, it's in the south.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

Did you miss the part of the article that described how the murderer called 911 and was told to stand down until police arrived, but decided to initiate a confrontation with his victim anyway? The man was in a car, with a gun, following a teenager on foot. This is probably not the best time to be a contrarian.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

Did you miss the part of the article that described how the murderer called 911 and was told to stand down until police arrived, but decided to initiate a confrontation with his victim anyway? The man was in a car, with a gun, following a teenager on foot. This is probably not the best time to be a contrarian.

You have to look at the facts here.
Security sees a suspicious character in the rain, with a hood over him.
He calls the police.
They say stand pat.
He decided to proceed anyway, which is not against the law.
The security guard is carrying a defensive weapon, which is not against the law.
Still no laws broken at this time.

He follows the suspect in his car.
He then proceeds on foot.
He confronts the kid.
An altercation takes place where we don't know what injuries are on the suspect(besides gun shot).
The security guard in the altercation that at one point had both of them on the ground has a wound causing bleeding from his nose and the back of his head.

The security guard then shoots the suspect.
Says it was done in self defense.

That is what we know. The guard has broken no laws, and has been helpful in investigation. At the moment it is his word against no others witnesses.

So saying this is blatant and disgusting racism is wrong and over the top.

---George Carlin
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

Well, I didn't write the article, so take it up with the Huffington Post.

Even so, if there was a scuffle, that doesn't even come close to justifying the use of deadly force. The kid had no weapons, and the guy instigated the whole incident. He's a killer and a racist, and he should have been arrested on the spot.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

He calls the police.
They say stand pat.
The security guard is carrying a defensive weapon, which is not against the law.

He confronts the kid.
An altercation takes place where we don't know what injuries are on the suspect(besides gun shot).
The security guard in the altercation that at one point had both of them on the ground has a wound causing bleeding from his nose and the back of his head.

That is what we know. The guard has broken no laws, and has been helpful in investigation. At the moment it is his word against no others witnesses.

He wasn't a security guard, jeezus. "Neighborhood watch" captain.

The kid was walking home with a bag of skittles when a strange man approached him in the dark, carrying a loaded weapon. I'm assuming the kid thought he was being followed, and it was HE who was initiating self-defense.

Can't believe you're even thinking of defending this guy. How on EARTH is this not murder? He also outweighed the kid by double. Did you also read the reports that witnesses heard the KID scream for help? Then the police coerced the witnesses to change their story and say that the murderer was the one screaming for help?

Cold blooded murder, plain and simple. If that was your son, I'll bet everything I have you'd be singing a different tune.

And I didn't even mention the race issue.
Boston Sucks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject:

If you strip away the race issue, this is still really messed up. Can't really find a way to defend this guy.
stojan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject:

thats the problem when the only other witnesses are the victims, This neighbourhood watch guy gets off like so many others do claiming slef defense because simply there is no to contradict that and so evidence to portray otherwise.

Sickening but it happens all to often

"I don't have the first clue who he is talking about, because all I worry about is Jerome."
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Ted wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

He calls the police.
They say stand pat.

He confronts the kid.

He wasn't a security guard, jeezus. "Neighborhood watch" captain.

The kid was walking home with a bag of skittles when a strange man approached him in the dark, carrying a loaded weapon. I'm assuming the kid thought he was being followed, and it was HE who was initiating self-defense.

Can't believe you're even thinking of defending this guy. How on EARTH is this not murder? He also outweighed the kid by double. Did you also read the reports that witnesses heard the KID scream for help? Then the police coerced the witnesses to change their story and say that the murderer was the one screaming for help?

Cold blooded murder, plain and simple. If that was your son, I'll bet everything I have you'd be singing a different tune.

And I didn't even mention the race issue.

We don't know who cried for help. The Watchman says it was him who yelled several times.

Also it's not like he walked up to him with gun in hand. (speculating here) He probably went up to the suspect they wrestled on the floor and fought, felt his life was in danger, then pulled the gun. I highly doubt he had gun in hand while walking up to the kid.

Not trying to defend the guard but you can't condemn him on the evidence we have been told so far. Nor can you say this is racism. There is no evidence saying the guard thought, oh hey there is a black kid with skittles, I'm going to follow him and then shoot him as the OP is suggesting here.

With the evidence given here " so far". He would not be found guilty in a court of law.

Yes it's sad that a kid died, and I truly feel bad for the family, nor do I think the guard was right for what he did. But I highly doubt he is found guilty in a court of law.

---George Carlin
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:

There are obviously racial overtones in this incident, but this incident is less about the racial overtones and more about the flaws in the idea of empowering certain people through things like neighborhood watch.

The idea of neighborhood watch is not that vigilantes pick up a gun and drive through their area looking for potential trouble. That's the job of the police. Neighborhood watch should be if you are sitting in your living room and glance out the window or walking your dog and you see somebody trying to break into your neighbor's house you call the cops. I am of the generation where the whole Neighborhood Watch thing came to fruition. It was about neighbors being aware. It was not about neighbors going on patrol looking for a potential crime.

This is just like the failed experiment a couple of decades ago that was the Guardian Angels. The false front was people looking out for crime, but in reality is was about a bunch of wanne-be vigilantes looking for reasons to play cop.

The guy who did this is clearly guilty of the similar mindset. And while it probably was partly fueled by racism, this guy could easily have done the same thing to a white guy he deemed "suspicious". Because if all he was concerned about was suspicious activity, he would have followed the directive to lay low. But he didn't, and he didn't because he wanted to a be something he wasn't - that being an authority figure who carries a gun.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

He calls the police.
They say stand pat.

He confronts the kid.

I'm sorry, but are you (bleep) kidding me? This man stalked, accosted, and MURDERED an unarmed teenager. He had no business following the boy in the first place. He was not a police officer, he was not a paid security guard, he was a community volunteer. Neighborhood watch volunteers are instructed to notify the police if they notice something suspicious. They're not supposed to be out patrolling the neighborhood with a gun, and they're NEVER supposed to confront someone. This sentiment was reinforced when the man called 911 and they told him to stand down and wait for police.

The self-defense claim here is bollocks because the entire confrontation was instigated by this redneck wannabe junior deputy. There would have been no need for so-called self-defense if he had just followed the instructions he received from actual police officers and kept on driving.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Just a question: what makes people think he shot him because he was black? did he say so? am I missing something here?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Even if you're in the situation where you have the right to defend yourself, that doesn't mean you have the right to defend yourself with an unlimited amount of force. How could this kid have possibly threatened his life? He's not stronger than him, and he had no weapons.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

He calls the police.
They say stand pat.

He confronts the kid.

I'm sorry, but are you (bleep) kidding me? This man stalked, accosted, and MURDERED an unarmed teenager. He had no business following the boy in the first place. He was not a police officer, he was not a paid security guard, he was a community volunteer. Neighborhood watch volunteers are instructed to notify the police if they notice something suspicious. They're not supposed to be out patrolling the neighborhood with a gun, and they're NEVER supposed to confront someone. This sentiment was reinforced when the man called 911 and they told him to stand down and wait for police.

The self-defense claim here is bollocks because the entire confrontation was instigated by this redneck wannabe junior deputy. There would have been no need for so-called self-defense if he had just followed the instructions he received from actual police officers and kept on driving.

Talking from a legal perspective. He didn't murder anyone. He killed the kid.

And yes there is a difference. You have to be found guilty in a court of law to have murdered someone.

---George Carlin
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

He calls the police.
They say stand pat.

He confronts the kid.

Why was he stalking one of dem dere Negroes?

Does the nub watchy boy stalk all races of kids walking with bags of skittles or just dem dere Negroes
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blatant and disgusting racism (the murder of Trayvon Martin)

Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Quote:

He calls the police.
They say stand pat.

He confronts the kid.

Exactly!!! Was there even a report of a crime etc.. dude is just snatching up little negro children to (bleep) with at random...

Some pasty ass white man following me in a car real slow with his hand on his crotch.. holding the gun.. I am going to go (bleep) when he gets out of his car to (bleep) with me.. stalking and then gets out of car.. how little respect did whitey have for that kid?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: