AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I'll go with the White Walkers winning.

thought I read the overseas books/odds have Bran as the favorite.....but I hope that is not the case. Jon and Daenerys seem to obvious, and I have doubts it would be a Lanister. I had been leaning Arya for a season or two, but now I am thinking Sansa. Her character continues to be emboldened, and I think there were two strong hints pointing to her elevation.

First, I thought it was extremely telling when she told Tyrion that "she once thought he was the most clever man alive" (or something to that effect) after he claimed that he believed Cersei would be sending her army north to help. That suggested to me that Sansa's wisdom is peaking, and she is the one that is till able to think clearly in this stressful period....even as the wise Tyrion's judgement had been clouded by wishful thinking. Second, when Arya made it clear to Jon that she supported Sansa, and the Stark family was where her allegiance would always align. I found that to be a very important consolidation of power, and one that will continue with the remainder of the North if they are put in a position to choose....even in the meeting of the North leaders, it was clear they were still most trustful and taking direction from the Lady of Winterfell.

Agreed, Sansa's character arc is well suited to a narrative where she ends up on top. She started off as a vapid, silly and almost unlikable young girl whose sole goal was to marry a prince and she evolved into likely the smartest and savviest person in the Seven Kingdoms. That's solid storytelling to have that rise. And as you and others point out, there are a few characters to have arcs that make a good deal of sense as characters to rise to the to the top and ultimately succeed supremely.

Which is why an epic like this ending with the White Walkers, who really haven't been developed as anything but this ominous, mysterious entity who we really know nothing about in any significant fashion, just sweep in and end it all for everyone would be ridiculously poor storytelling.

Even if the goal is to demonstrate the fruitlessness of everyone's quest for greatness at great expense to those around them, it doesn't work if you don't truly delve into developing the White Walkers.

I agree they built her up to end up on top, but not that on top. I think she may end up as Warden of the North maybe?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

thought I read the overseas books/odds have Bran as the favorite.....but I hope that is not the case. Jon and Daenerys seem to obvious, and I have doubts it would be a Lanister. I had been leaning Arya for a season or two, but now I am thinking Sansa. Her character continues to be emboldened, and I think there were two strong hints pointing to her elevation.

First, I thought it was extremely telling when she told Tyrion that "she once thought he was the most clever man alive" (or something to that effect) after he claimed that he believed Cersei would be sending her army north to help. That suggested to me that Sansa's wisdom is peaking, and she is the one that is till able to think clearly in this stressful period....even as the wise Tyrion's judgement had been clouded by wishful thinking. Second, when Arya made it clear to Jon that she supported Sansa, and the Stark family was where her allegiance would always align. I found that to be a very important consolidation of power, and one that will continue with the remainder of the North if they are put in a position to choose....even in the meeting of the North leaders, it was clear they were still most trustful and taking direction from the Lady of Winterfell.

Agreed, Sansa's character arc is well suited to a narrative where she ends up on top. She started off as a vapid, silly and almost unlikable young girl whose sole goal was to marry a prince and she evolved into likely the smartest and savviest person in the Seven Kingdoms. That's solid storytelling to have that rise. And as you and others point out, there are a few characters to have arcs that make a good deal of sense as characters to rise to the to the top and ultimately succeed supremely.

Which is why an epic like this ending with the White Walkers, who really haven't been developed as anything but this ominous, mysterious entity who we really know nothing about in any significant fashion, just sweep in and end it all for everyone would be ridiculously poor storytelling.

Even if the goal is to demonstrate the fruitlessness of everyone's quest for greatness at great expense to those around them, it doesn't work if you don't truly delve into developing the White Walkers.

I agree they built her up to end up on top, but not that on top. I think she may end up as Warden of the North maybe?

I wouldn't count anything out for now.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

The problem with late season GoT? There's fewer and fewer second acts says Vox TV critic Todd VanDerWerff: link.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

The problem with late season GoT? There's fewer and fewer second acts says Vox TV critic Todd VanDerWerff: link.

Pretty much. It's been their problem for most of the last 2 seasons. They want to get to a moment/payoff and then find out a way to get there even if it doesn't really make sense.

These later seasons are still enjoyable if you adjust expectations. It just sucks to see such a great show decline so much. Especially when they take extra time between seasons, that should help them find/fix plot holes and inconsistencies. But that's not their focus so as I viewer I have to remember it's more style than substance now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Pretty much. It's been their problem for most of the last 2 seasons. They want to get to a moment/payoff and then find out a way to get there even if it doesn't really make sense.

These later seasons are still enjoyable if you adjust expectations. It just sucks to see such a great show decline so much. Especially when they take extra time between seasons, that should help them find/fix plot holes and inconsistencies. But that's not their focus so as I viewer I have to remember it's more style than substance now.

99% of series trend downward after the initial season....in a perfect world, a multiple season series would maintain peak writing/acting throughout, but I am not sure that series exists. The elite series have the ability to drop off in a subsequent season, but climb back to original excellence in a following season.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

99% of series trend downward after the initial season....in a perfect world, a multiple season series would maintain peak writing/acting throughout, but I am not sure that series exists. The elite series have the ability to drop off in a subsequent season, but climb back to original excellence in a following season.

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire, Halt and Catch Fire. These are the only shows, IMO, without any significant drop in quality from season to season. There are of course stronger and weaker seasons but the difference is rather negligible. With GoT - and a lot of shows - the difference is very noticeable.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire, Halt and Catch Fire. These are the only shows, IMO, without any significant drop in quality from season to season. There are of course stronger and weaker seasons but the difference is rather negligible. With GoT - and a lot of shows - the difference is very noticeable.

I would argue that BCS has actually become better and richer in its later seasons, as did BB, but not to the same extent
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

The Night King will be the final person on the Iron Throne with his Night Queen, Cersei
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
The Night King will be the final person on the Iron Throne with his Night Queen, Cersei

And they'll just be ice bonin' for the last 25 minutes of the final episode.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I would argue that BCS has actually become better and richer in its later seasons, as did BB, but not to the same extent

I couldn't agree more. The later seasons are so much better since they build off the earlier ones. I only omitted that because I was just pointing out that they lacked a drop in quality.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The later seasons are so much better since they build off the earlier ones. I only omitted that because I was just pointing out that they lacked a drop in quality.

Yeah, imo Breaking Bad's season 1 was just ok. I quit and had to restart it a couple times before I got hooked towards the end of the season. Each season got better though which is rare. Started out as a 7/10 ended as a 10/10
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I think I agree with you on BCS to this point....but not sure i do on Breaking Bad....may need some time to think about that one. My statement was thinking about shows that are almost universally loved like the Wire....every season was great, but there was a little up and down among seasons in my opinion.

Most shows that have a really good 1st season fail to follow up with many of them simply falling off a cliff at some point. Walking Dead for example was planning a swap meet this season! Game of Thrones has been entertaining, but the way time moved last season was a massive departure from earlier seasons, and felt rushed.....then Jon joyriding on a Dragon this season just felt wrong.

I know nothing about the profession or process, but I imagine it becomes much more difficult writing series in subsequent seasons.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

And they'll just be ice bonin' for the last 25 minutes of the final episode.

Cersei still gonna be shacking somebody else on the side
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Yeah, imo Breaking Bad's season 1 was just ok. I quit and had to restart it a couple times before I got hooked towards the end of the season. Each season got better though which is rare. Started out as a 7/10 ended as a 10/10
Really useful to know bc I've just seen a few S1 episodes of Breaking Bad, and, though I like them, they didn't hook me much except as a thing to view sometime. I also have quit and restarted it twice and am just on episode 3 of season 1.
I thought Parks n Rec was a terrible Office spinoff most or all of the first season, but I loved it during the next one and the next few. Good to know Breaking Bad (which I thought was pretty good from the ones I've seen) gets even better. Thanks.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I wouldn't count anything out for now.
Is she still technically married to Tyrion?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

What if Cersei escapes death a la Danaeyrs as a girl, maybe on a boat East? That would be the sort of completely dissatisfying thing GRRM would do: "Oh, this is how the world works. People get away with terrible things." Yeah like not finishing a book after six dang years.
Good lord, it's actually been eight.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

For book readers, did you know this from the wiki for the book:
As of June 2016, a total of 11 chapters from The Winds of Winter have been either read publicly or published as a sample chapter.

I haven't read any just waiting for the complete version, but that's a lot of chapters.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:

I wouldn't count anything out for now. Is she still technically married to Tyrion?

I'd say yes. They were married in church and never got the marriage annulled before Sansa fled Kings Landing. There has to be a local Septon in the North, like the one who married Robb and Talisa, who could do it.

Who knows if the laws of the Faith of the Seven will even mean anything in the end though?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

I really want an episode from the White Walkers/Night King perspective. I want to know their true motivations and their logic. They can't just all be mindless ice zombies.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
I really want an episode from the White Walkers/Night King perspective. I want to know their true motivations and their logic. They can't just all be mindless ice zombies.

It looks like they're saving that for the prequel.

LINK

Quote:
What’s it about? Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

LINK

Quote:
What’s it about? Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.

What if the Night King can see stuff like Bran? I hope not. I wouldn't want him to know where the two good dragons are anytime soon. Also, where the heck is the flying ice dragon at? Is he keeping it at bay, bc it could have easily gotten to Winterfell by the time Jon and Dany got up there.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
As of June 2016, a total of 11 chapters from The Winds of Winter have been either read publicly or published as a sample chapter.

I haven't read any just waiting for the complete version, but that's a lot of chapters.

I've read some of them but not all. I'm hopeful that by this time next year we will at least have an announcement if not the actual book already.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

LINK

Quote:

What if the Night King can see stuff like Bran? I hope not. I wouldn't want him to know where the two good dragons are anytime soon. Also, where the heck is the flying ice dragon at? Is he keeping it at bay, bc it could have easily gotten to Winterfell by the time Jon and Dany got up there.

We know he has some psychic powers as he was able to find the Three-Eyed Raven when Bran saw him in a vision. Everywhere else Bran's gone in his visions he was invisible to everyone else.

Good point. Maybe the Night King is building his army one castle at a time.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
focus wrote:

I've read some of them but not all. I'm hopeful that by this time next year we will at least have an announcement if not the actual book already.

I don't carry much hope now on his schedule.

Anyway, assuming you've read the full books, what was your opinion of his quality of writing in these 11 Winter chapters compared to the books? No spoilers though, I beg you.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
focus wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

LINK

Quote:

We know he has some psychic powers as he was able to find the Three-Eyed Raven when Bran saw him in a vision. Everywhere else Bran's gone in his visions he was invisible to everyone else.

Good point. Maybe the Night King is building his army one castle at a time.
Wasn't that because in Bran's vision he was able to actually touch vision Bran? I was hoping it wasn't a permanent thing. Lastly, Bran's really creeping me out and I always wonder why Sansa, Aegon, Tyrion, Varys, Dany, Davos, Sam don't just hang out with him and go, so dude what should we do, and what's going to happen?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 208 of 247
Jump to: