PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

I'll go with the White Walkers winning.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Who do you think dies?

Jon Snow. I don't know what role he has after they defeat the Night King. He's never really been a part of the Kings Landing story and isn't really needed for its conclusion. He's not going to marry Danerys now and I don't believe he'll become King after the writers spent the past seven season building up Danerys as the hope for the future of Westeros. I also believe Sansa will end up as Warden of the North.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I love the series, but it has gotten a lot worse since they passed the books. As much as I enjoyed the fairly obvious homage to season one episode one, and the need to set all the story lines, it seems the dialogue is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Yep and if you go back dozens of pages, I was already whining about the dialogue 3 seasons ago. Felt like I was on an island. No source material + studio writers = a massive drop off in dialogue.

Still entertaining AF though...

I agree that it's gotten worse, but to be fair, I think it's on Martin and not HBO.

It's not easy to create stories and lines from one season to another with no source material that he himself takes years to write, specially when you're not the original mind behind it all.

I'm sure the books will be better developed, but they should be. It's a tough deck these writers were dealt, and when you consider that, their job (in a vacuum) seems solid.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

This would be great.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This would be great.

I don't know . . . makes everything completely pointless, which is a way to go I suppose, but very lazy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This would be great.

Winter is coming, they said. Didn't say it'd go away.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This would be great.

transition to walking dead
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

Dragons out here watching their momma (bleep) her nephew in the snow.

Dragons do not seem at ease, do they? I wonder if a dragon matches up with Jon and then the dragons go at it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This would be great.

Just have it turn into the end of 1978 Dawn of the Dead with the undead going back to their farms and castles going through the motions.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

I don't know . . . makes everything completely pointless, which is a way to go I suppose, but very lazy.

It seems more realistic given how the world is currently approaching climate change. And there's so much we don't know about the White Walkers - maybe they'd forge a less violent undead society long-term before they themselves fade away and new life flourishes after the latest ice age recedes. It would be the most despised ending since The Sopranos fade to black.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Greyworm, Tormund. I think both Lannisters have to stick around for the Cersei plot but I wouldn't be upset with Tyrion dying. Also maybe Varys finally dies..?

Who do you think is more likely to beat the Night King. Bran or Jon?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Dragons out here watching their momma (bleep) her nephew in the snow.

Dragons do not seem at ease, do they? I wonder if a dragon matches up with Jon and then the dragons go at it.

They don't have the cajones or the budget to show the dragons (bleep). But it'd be interesting if one of the dragons took Snow's side over momma's.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

thought I read the overseas books/odds have Bran as the favorite.....but I hope that is not the case. Jon and Daenerys seem to obvious, and I have doubts it would be a Lanister. I had been leaning Arya for a season or two, but now I am thinking Sansa. Her character continues to be emboldened, and I think there were two strong hints pointing to her elevation.

First, I thought it was extremely telling when she told Tyrion that "she once thought he was the most clever man alive" (or something to that effect) after he claimed that he believed Cersei would be sending her army north to help. That suggested to me that Sansa's wisdom is peaking, and she is the one that is till able to think clearly in this stressful period....even as the wise Tyrion's judgement had been clouded by wishful thinking. Second, when Arya made it clear to Jon that she supported Sansa, and the Stark family was where her allegiance would always align. I found that to be a very important consolidation of power, and one that will continue with the remainder of the North if they are put in a position to choose....even in the meeting of the North leaders, it was clear they were still most trustful and taking direction from the Lady of Winterfell.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

I disagree that it would be lazy. If that's the way they wanted to go you couldn't say they didn't lay the groundwork for it since the beginning of the show (you could even say they teased it in the show's tagline). But I don't think they're going to do this.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

my favorite scene from episode 1.....

Jon thinks there is tension between his 1/2 sister and a female that he has strong feelings for.....and ironically, he is correct.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

thought I read the overseas books/odds have Bran as the favorite.....but I hope that is not the case. Jon and Daenerys seem to obvious, and I have doubts it would be a Lanister. I had been leaning Arya for a season or two, but now I am thinking Sansa. Her character continues to be emboldened, and I think there were two strong hints pointing to her elevation.

First, I thought it was extremely telling when she told Tyrion that "she once thought he was the most clever man alive" (or something to that effect) after he claimed that he believed Cersei would be sending her army north to help. That suggested to me that Sansa's wisdom is peaking, and she is the one that is till able to think clearly in this stressful period....even as the wise Tyrion's judgement had been clouded by wishful thinking. Second, when Arya made it clear to Jon that she supported Sansa, and the Stark family was where her allegiance would always align. I found that to be a very important consolidation of power, and one that will continue with the remainder of the North if they are put in a position to choose....even in the meeting of the North leaders, it was clear they were still most trustful and taking direction from the Lady of Winterfell.

Agreed, Sansa's character arc is well suited to a narrative where she ends up on top. She started off as a vapid, silly and almost unlikable young girl whose sole goal was to marry a prince and she evolved into likely the smartest and savviest person in the Seven Kingdoms. That's solid storytelling to have that rise. And as you and others point out, there are a few characters to have arcs that make a good deal of sense as characters to rise to the to the top and ultimately succeed supremely.

Which is why an epic like this ending with the White Walkers, who really haven't been developed as anything but this ominous, mysterious entity who we really know nothing about in any significant fashion, just sweep in and end it all for everyone would be ridiculously poor storytelling.

Even if the goal is to demonstrate the fruitlessness of everyone's quest for greatness at great expense to those around them, it doesn't work if you don't truly delve into developing the White Walkers.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

I disagree that it would be lazy. If that's the way they wanted to go you couldn't say they didn't lay the groundwork for it since the beginning of the show (you could even say they teased it in the show's tagline). But I don't think they're going to do this.

Just because you see them in the initial scene of the series and they have been this threatening force throughout doesn't mean it supports that type of ending. There's been no deep dive into detailing their origins. They are an entity, not a "character" of substance. Even the Night King is just a thing.

So again, it would be a totally lazy ending with zero going for it other than shock and spectacle, which would be a total waste of all the intricate storytelling that has gone on.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

I mean it all comes down to execution. Whether the living or the dead win it can be a good or a bad ending. I don't think I care as much as what the ending is as much as how we get there and if it makes sense (probably asking for too much at this point lol).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

Just because you see them in the initial scene of the series and they have been this threatening force throughout doesn't mean it supports that type of ending. There's been no deep dive into detailing their origins. They are an entity, not a "character" of substance. Even the Night King is just a thing.

So again, it would be a totally lazy ending with zero going for it other than shock and spectacle, which would be a total waste of all the intricate storytelling that has gone on.

I think there's some interesting commentary there should they triumph that's more interesting to me than anyone heroically defeating an enemy that I completely agree isn't really a character at all. But again, I don't think this is how it will end.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

It seems more realistic given how the world is currently approaching climate change. And there's so much we don't know about the White Walkers

Even if we were to grant it is more realistic, it is still (bleep) storytelling for that very reason.

Quote:
maybe they'd forge a less violent undead society long-term before they themselves fade away and new life flourishes after the latest ice age recedes. It would be the most despised ending since The Sopranos fade to black.

Maybe, but the groundwork for that hasn't be laid. That would be a post-conclusion revelation that would need to be told through some kind of "Better Call Saul" spinoff to remotely resonate. And even that still would change the fact that it was a (bleep) ending to GOT.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

I don't know about you, but I like art to crush my will to live through existential dread. If GoT ends with an 11-minute static close-up of the Night King's face before cutting to a shot over his shoulder as he surveys the now desolate wastes of Westeros, I'll cry like a broken child and acknowledge it as the greatest artistic achievement of modern civilization.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

I think there's some interesting commentary there should they triumph that's more interesting to me than anyone heroically defeating an enemy that I completely agree isn't really a character at all. But again, I don't think this is how it will end.

There would be if they had been handled differently, as I illustrated above. But without that development, there's nothing interesting about seeing them be the ultimate victor.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about you, but I like art to crush my will to live through existential dread. If GoT ends with an 11-minute static close-up of the Night King's face before cutting to a shot over his shoulder as he surveys the now desolate wastes of Westeros, I'll cry like a broken child and acknowledge it as the greatest artistic achievement of modern civilization.

I prefer art that's thought provoking and well crafted in its message and delivery . . . but that may just be me.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I prefer art that's thought provoking and well crafted in its message and delivery . . . but that may just be me.

Right. Which elicits existential dread.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

This would be great.

There would be if they had been handled differently, as I illustrated above. But without that development, there's nothing interesting about seeing them be the ultimate victor.

This particular ending only really works if they're a force, a consuming virus, not as developed characters. The opposite actually doesn't work, where we're supposed to care much if anyone vanquishes them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 206 of 247
Jump to: