CELTICS -at- LAKERS - 6/3 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I was proud of the team's effort. They kept them bums on their heels all night long. Even when they tried to punk us, Pau stepped up or Artest took out Pierce or Kobe was swatting Mutombo style. Then Big Drew made his presence felt on both sides of the court despite needing knee surgery. After the dust cleared and the W was in hand, they hardly celebrated. They look like they expected to win. All business by the defending champs. Me likey.
Gallofa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

Great game! The Cs got a nice spanking
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
They hammer them down like whack-a-moles.

I agree that the double-techs helped set the tone of the game for us. Bynum played a lot better than I expected him too, which was a pleasant surprise.

I don't anticipate Ray Allen getting in the same kind of foul trouble again the next game and wonder how we'll lock him down.

thanks DB

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks, I'm glad we won.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I have a dumb question: what is a hater like Chris rock doing courtside, much less right next to our bench?

Rock, David Spade, Adam Sandler, and the fat guy who are all in a movie together this summer were put there by their movie studio to promote this flick.

Lakers had a weak 4thQ, but did enough to keep the C's at bay. And aside from that poor pass from Farmar that he had to then foul on, there was no egregious dumb bonehead plays from the Lakers in this game.

The Celtics showed nothing that make me afraid going into Game 2. Their Game 1 vs the Cavs they barely lost. But they made a game out of it. Game 1 against Orlando showed they could dominate the Magic. Those two games set the tone for the rest of the series. Game 1 Thursday night was the same, but for the Lakers instead.

If Odom shows up big for Game 2, the Lakers go up 2-0. The C's bigs cannot contain Bynum and Gasol and Odom. As Tim Legler mentioned, I think it was Tim, Perkins has to stay on Bynum and cannot help out elsewhere or else Bynum will just eat offensive rebounds all day or go easily for the alley oop. Staying home on Bynum means Garnett has to handle Gasol all by himself. And with Artest, Kobe, and Fish out on the perimeter, you won't be seeing the guards coming down to double.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject:

Good job, as usual, DB!

Now win Game 2, Lakers!
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject:

Having Drew and RonRon is so huge for us. Boston has to play us straight up now. No more 2 long guys on Kobe and no more 2 bigs on Pau. Drew and RonRon have be accounted for at all times.
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject:

13 bells. this last bell was nice and loud...and smarted the celtics.

haha, kobe bryant is a bad, bad man who is on A MISSION.

his 'surliness' has rubbed off on this team, and you get an effort like last night's game. i loved how the guys just walked off the court like they just took care of business, but nothing more to them.

kobe is an a-hole in his media sessions these days. it's too bad for everyone who asks questions. that's all the media's getting, kobe being SURLY!

contrast w/pp on the podium. i will complament him for going up there after a loss, but i enjoyed how that man was forced to have some humble pie up there w/him. he was having a hard time swallowing the pie too.
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
Quote:
Bynum sat for Lamar after 8 minutes when Sheed came in...

i thought this was a very good chess move by Phil!! Clearly LO can guard sheed out at the perimeter and has the length to switch between sheed & KG.

Same exact strategy we used against Channing Frye...another big who doesn't go into the paint and is only really dangerous from the three point line and baseline areas. Perfect strategy, because the worth of those kind of guys is in drawing out the big from the paint and get them out of a comfort zone. Lamar is such a swiss army knife that it completely negates that strategy. Worked against Frye and will work against Sheed, too.

Loved the tone set early with Artest sending a clear message that we won't be pushed around...though I think that is why that first quarter was called so closely (and I'm good with that).
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject:

" 3 MO!"
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I have a dumb question: what is a hater like Chris rock doing courtside, much less right next to our bench?

trying to promote his new movie.
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
24 wrote:

trying to promote his new movie.

Hopefully it's a massive flop and we never see him in one again.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject:

D-Dogg wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
Quote:
Bynum sat for Lamar after 8 minutes when Sheed came in...

i thought this was a very good chess move by Phil!! Clearly LO can guard sheed out at the perimeter and has the length to switch between sheed & KG.

Same exact strategy we used against Channing Frye...another big who doesn't go into the paint and is only really dangerous from the three point line and baseline areas. Perfect strategy, because the worth of those kind of guys is in drawing out the big from the paint and get them out of a comfort zone. Lamar is such a swiss army knife that it completely negates that strategy. Worked against Frye and will work against Sheed, too.

Loved the tone set early with Artest sending a clear message that we won't be pushed around...though I think that is why that first quarter was called so closely (and I'm good with that).

Good point. Also, Wallace is actually an easier cover for LO on the perimeter because Sheed doesn't have Frye's mobility.
Rodman28
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject:

What a great game.

Kobe- You knew he was going to come out and attack, but yo didn't know how Boston would contain him...they didn't even come close. I think attacking the rim instead of taking jumpers was a smart switch and it clearly worked. I don't think he could've done a better job.

Gasol- In my opinion, he was the player of the game. He completely destroyed KG, a far cry from 2008. He was a (Bleep) monster!

Fisher- He did pretty good, didn't take his usual amount of stupid jumpers and 3pt shots. We're going to need him to contain himself throughout this series.

Bynum- I thought he was excellent. He got us a nice 10 pt contribution with a decent amount of rebounds. Again, we're going to need this throughout this series if we're going to win.

Artest- Excellent work, couldn't have done better.

The Bench- I thought Farmar was a little lazy on defense when it came to Rondo, but he did a fair job. Brown did a pretty good job. Sasha...can't wait to get rid of him. Odom, not what I expected.

1 down, 3 more to go!

I guess I am kind of injury prone.- Andrew Bynum

These young guys are playing checkers. I'm out there playing chess.- Kobe Bryant
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject:

After a well deserved regular season MVP award it looks like DB is primed and ready to grab that Final's MVP award too... as always, thanks for the awesome work!
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject:

Amazing what having a full team can do. Bynum in the lineup sets everyone in his proper place. The Celts have to keep Kratos on him and KG on Pau, which means KG can't roam and disrupt. Adding RonRon keeps Drama Queen on him instead of Kobe. RayRay can't relax on defense against Kobe, thus he gets into foul trouble (or gets gassed too much to have his normal offensive output). So, with everyone in his proper spot, Lakers win easily.

The Kobe revenge tour continues. He was very controlled and deadly in the 3rd. Curious that when the Celts made their run in the 4th with Kobe on the floor, Phil then rested Kobe, saying that the team was standing around waiting for Kobe to close. So he takes Kobe out instead of preaching for more ball movement. It worked, so once again Phil proved that he knows what he's doing.

Pau made KG look... old and soft. After a shaky start, Pau really got going with his 3 blocks in the 2nd.

LO was lost, but JoFar and Shannon were true sparks off the bench. Guard penetration was huge. I don't recall the guards having so many layups off-the-dribble in one game this season.

RonRon's game makes you ask "Trevor who?" Like Fish, Ron was very steady, which makes him very dangerous.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
Guard penetration was huge. I don't recall the guards having so many layups off-the-dribble in one game this season.

I was surprised by the Celtics' inability to block (or even alter) shots at the rim. Apart from that one contest by Perkins on Kobe's floater, he, KG and Big Baby all seemed to have very little lift when our guys drove to the hoop. Wonder if it's fatigue, age, health, rust or something else but they just didn't seem to own the paint on defense like they did in 2008.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

The were promoting the hell out of Grownups . . . or is it Groanups.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

The Celtics showed nothing that make me afraid going into Game 2. Their Game 1 vs the Cavs they barely lost. But they made a game out of it. Game 1 against Orlando showed they could dominate the Magic. Those two games set the tone for the rest of the series. Game 1 Thursday night was the same, but for the Lakers instead.

Astute observation. Celts had a large lead against the Cavs, if I recall, in that game 1. They looked very good on the Cleveland floor from the start.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:
Guard penetration was huge. I don't recall the guards having so many layups off-the-dribble in one game this season.

I was surprised by the Celtics' inability to block (or even alter) shots at the rim. Apart from that one contest by Perkins on Kobe's floater, he, KG and Big Baby all seemed to have very little lift when our guys drove to the hoop. Wonder if it's fatigue, age, health, rust or something else but they just didn't seem to own the paint on defense like they did in 2008.

Boston isn't a great shotblocking team especially with KG being limited physically. Boston's bigs play great position defense and do a particularly good job of helping to deny penetration. However, as anyone will tell you, good offense usually beat good defense because you can't take everything away on the defensive end.

If you're facing a defensive team that has bigs that help a lot, then your bigs need to make themselves available, which is exactly what Pau and company did. Two years ago, our bigs played right into Boston's hands by drifting along the perimeter. We saw none of that last night. Our bigs lived in the paint and made Boston's bigs pay for rotating to our perimeter players.

At the same time, our guards played very heady basketball. When Boston's bigs over-helped, they found the Laker bigs for easy buckets. When the help didn't come, they took it straight to the hole.

In the end, the Lakers attacked Boston's D perfectly. Boston is used to teams settling for jumpers against them, but the Lakers refused to do that.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Sorry about the LG problems, DB. You are like Kobe, always the Great Closer!

Re: Rondo
Facing Westbrook and Nash helped the Lakers discovered how to "wall off" the paint to protect drives to the hole. It will be interesting to see how the Celtics will counter. Would Doc offer different P&Rs/S&Rs to get more space for Rondo and how will the Lakers defend this.

Re: Pierce
Wonder if Doc will take up JVG's suggestion to have Pierce initiate the half-cout defense in the hope of rubbing off Artest. This would start having Rondo be in the position of a a spot-up shooter, which would work in favor of the Lakers. If they do a 3-4 P&Rs, will this get KG or Pierce more shots?

Re; 2nd Game
Hopefully the Lakers will be bring an even greater amount of energy since it is unprodictable how effective the Lakers' bench will be in Boston?

Re: What a Difference
If anybody was wondering, there is a major difference between having Vlad/Luke defend Pierce, as oppose to having Artest/LO/Luke. There's a big difference of Pau playing by himself against Perkins/KG (since LO didn't know how to bang with these guys) as oppose to having Pau/Drew on the court.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Death to leprechauns !

Thanks DB.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Sorry about the LG problems, DB. You are like Kobe, always the Great Closer!

Re: Rondo
Facing Westbrook and Nash helped the Lakers discovered how to "wall off" the paint to protect drives to the hole. It will be interesting to see how the Celtics will counter. Would Doc offer different P&Rs/S&Rs to get more space for Rondo and how will the Lakers defend this.

Re: Pierce
Wonder if Doc will take up JVG's suggestion to have Pierce initiate the half-cout defense in the hope of rubbing off Artest. This would start having Rondo be in the position of a a spot-up shooter, which would work in favor of the Lakers. If they do a 3-4 P&Rs, will this get KG or Pierce more shots?

Re; 2nd Game
Hopefully the Lakers will be bring an even greater amount of energy since it is unprodictable how effective the Lakers' bench will be in Boston?

Re: What a Difference
If anybody was wondering, there is a major difference between having Vlad/Luke defend Pierce, as oppose to having Artest/LO/Luke. There's a big difference of Pau playing by himself against Perkins/KG (since LO didn't know how to bang with these guys) as oppose to having Pau/Drew on the court.

- Rondo doesn't have Nash's perimeter or in-between game and also doesn't have Westbrook's sheer explosion. I think he's a much easier PG for the Lakers to stop compared to Nash because Rondo doesn't force the Laker bigs to extend their defense. Don't forget how open the middle was against Phoenix when Drew, Pau and LO had to step out against Nash.

- Rondo is definitely at his best when he's orchestrating the offense. Pierce is more deadly as a scorer off PNRs, but I can't see him having the stamina to be Boston's facilitator over 4 quarters. Plus, as you mentioned, Rondo would be reduced to being just a jumpshooter.

- Game 2 is a must win for Boston, so the Lakers need to protect homecourt. If the Lakers go up 2-0, then this series is all but over.

- Pau/Drew/Artest/LO is a HUGE upgrade on both ends over Pau/LO/Vlad/Ronny/Luke. That fact can't be overstated.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: