JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 5/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject:

Last year Utah was a bad matchup for Bynum and this year he is half of the reason they can't beat us. That's a sign of the maturation of the big fella.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
If PJ doesn't want to use Bynum for extended stretches, why not give Mbenga some run for a minute here or there? Mbenga always produces when given a chance, but PJ treats him like he's radioactive.
He wasn't available for the last game. Given the size advantage, his presence wasn't needed in this series.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

Finally, I hate to admit it, but the Jazz are one of the teams along with Phoenix where Ariza would be much more effective than Artest. Ron doesn't really have a key wing player that he can focus on, so his defense isn't as valuable. With the Lakers' size advantage, there are numerous opportunities to get easy baskets off of cuts or run outs, which is where Ariza excels. I'm glad that Ron scored 16 points, but he still missed point blank lay-ups and wide open 3s. We need him to be more efficient especially if gets those same looks in Utah.
As stated ad naseum, Ron was brought in to defend key players once the Lakers are deep into the playoffs. Ron is starting to move/cut within the offensive schemes while starting (couldn't be any worse) to hit shots. With the sharp, tough, rugged and solid screens that Jerry Sloan teams always feature, how effective would Ariza be at the end of games - just a thought? Would he able to defend Miles, Matthews, DWill and others?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

Finally, I hate to admit it, but the Jazz are one of the teams along with Phoenix where Ariza would be much more effective than Artest. Ron doesn't really have a key wing player that he can focus on, so his defense isn't as valuable. With the Lakers' size advantage, there are numerous opportunities to get easy baskets off of cuts or run outs, which is where Ariza excels. I'm glad that Ron scored 16 points, but he still missed point blank lay-ups and wide open 3s. We need him to be more efficient especially if gets those same looks in Utah.
As stated ad naseum, Ron was brought in to defend key players once the Lakers are deep into the playoffs. Ron is starting to move/cut within the offensive schemes while starting (couldn't be any worse) to hit shots. With the sharp, tough, rugged and solid screens that Jerry Sloan teams always feature, how effective would Ariza be at the end of games - just a thought? Would he able to defend Miles, Matthews, DWill and others?

Overall, I'd rather have Artest on this team over Ariza. However, I was just pointing out that Ariza would be more effective for us against teams like Utah or Phoenix. It doesn't really matter though because we don't really need Artest's offense to beat either team. I was just making an observation.

As for guarding Miles and Matthews, these guys score off the ball, so Ariza would be just as effective guarding them as Artest has been. In truth, because of the way Utah's wings play, Artest hasn't really had much of an impact on defense. Artest can't guard Williams, and Trevor wouldn't change anything. Defensively, I think Artest has no real advantage over Trevor against Utah or Phoenix. As far as Ariza's impact goes, I'm looking at it more from an offensive standpoint. He would better capitalize off cuts and run outs. That's all I'm saying.

In the end, I would much prefer to have Artest on this team against teams like OKC, Denver, Boston, Cleveland and Orlando.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject:

Ron's role is certainly not a clear need in this series. The Jazz, however, are making it obvious just how important it is for Ron (and others) to cut. I'm hoping this gets him (and others) to think the game off the ball a bit more and do it with more consistency. It's been a problem all year...but with DFish hitting his shots and Ron cutting more, that makes a world of difference for the offensive fluidity.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Ron's role is certainly not a clear need in this series. The Jazz, however, are making it obvious just how important it is for Ron (and others) to cut. I'm hoping this gets him (and others) to think the game off the ball a bit more and do it with more consistency. It's been a problem all year...but with DFish hitting his shots and Ron cutting more, that makes a world of difference for the offensive fluidity.

I agree. Some people are calling this series boring, but I like the fact that Utah is helping the Lakers to tune up their offense and defense. We're seeing much better player and ball movement, and our defense is holding strong against a very formidable and efficient offense.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I'd love for a few more "boring" series.

I remember someone making a "boring" thread earlier in the season. Then the injuries really hit. You want the Lakers to be in control. You want them to look like they have a clear advantage and can kill a team at will.

Boring, for lack of a better word, is good.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Ariza would be more effective for us against teams like Utah or Phoenix . . . As for guarding Miles and Matthews, these guys score off the ball, so Ariza would be just as effective guarding them as Artest has been . . . Ariza's impact goes, I'm looking at it more from an offensive standpoint. He would better capitalize off cuts and run outs. That's all I'm saying.
Your point is acknowledged. As stated, with Utah's discipline on offense that consisting of hard back picks, Ariza's impact on defense would be minimal. On offense, the Jazz would leave Ariza alone - just like what they are doing with Artest. The difference is that Artest has a history of being a scorer, where Ariza hasn't. Even when playing the Spurs or Suns, Artest might not be as needed considering the inconsistencies of Richard Jefferson and JRich. However, when they play the Magic (w/Carter), Celtics (w/Pierce) or Cavs (w/LBJ) - Artest will DEFINITELY be needed to perform.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject:

Even though I was very encouraged by game 5 of the 1st round, they haven't really duplicated that complete game effort since.

It seemed to me that Kobe started this game practicing his one man play "Me, Myself, and Nobody Else", then quickly corrected that and started passing the ball.

Pau, though generally effective, seemed to give kind of a fuzzy effort this game.

Andrew seemed very focused, but did have trouble finishing some shots. The brace might have something to do with that, but he can do better there.

Quote:
He scored 17 points on 7-9 shooting

It's unfortunate that someone that effective can't get more than 9 shots however. Of course all those close, easy shots would be boring. More exciting to have someone with multiple coverage take a 20+foot turnaround jumper.

All in all, a more consistent effort is needed by all as they progress.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject:

^ sometimes what looks like lack of effort is the opposing team trying to knock your head off. let's give our opponents some credit. that and 3 of our five best players are playing with injuries. it's hard reproduce what we saw in game 5, because that was pretty close to do or die.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
Even though I was very encouraged by game 5 of the 1st round, they haven't really duplicated that complete game effort since.

It seemed to me that Kobe started this game practicing his one man play "Me, Myself, and Nobody Else", then quickly corrected that and started passing the ball.

Pau, though generally effective, seemed to give kind of a fuzzy effort this game.

Andrew seemed very focused, but did have trouble finishing some shots. The brace might have something to do with that, but he can do better there.

Quote:
He scored 17 points on 7-9 shooting

It's unfortunate that someone that effective can't get more than 9 shots however. Of course all those close, easy shots would be boring. More exciting to have someone with multiple coverage take a 20+foot turnaround jumper.

All in all, a more consistent effort is needed by all as they progress.

I guess someone still doesn't like Kobe. Still, I agree to a certain extent. The bigs need to get as many touches as possible. However, in Drew's case, I don't think he needs to be featured any more than he is. The coaching staff has mentioned that they would like Drew to make simple offensive moves. That means dunks off of penetration, putbacks, and post scores resulting from deep position. That's pretty much what Drew got in game 2.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Drew's case, I don't think he needs to be featured any more than he is. The coaching staff has mentioned that they would like Drew to make simple offensive moves. That means dunks off of penetration, putbacks, and post scores resulting from deep position. That's pretty much what Drew got in game 2.
Since Phil is using Drew in "short shifts" to eliminate unnecessarily stressing his knee because of fatique, the simple moves requre less "timing" coordination that will allow him to be effective.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
^ sometimes what looks like lack of effort is the opposing team trying to knock your head off. let's give our opponents some credit. that and 3 of our five best players are playing with injuries. it's hard reproduce what we saw in game 5, because that was pretty close to do or die.

Indeed. Perhaps I'm being too hard on the fellas.

Also, forgot to mention Lamar. He played a great game.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: