Report: LeBron To Pick Miami Heat (Pg. 14)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Chicago is really the best situation for him. I don't really know exactly how he fits with Rose and Boozer offensively, but both are unselfish players.

New York would probably be the biggest challenge for him. He'd already have a decent side kick with Amare, but other than that New York would still be a team under construction and ripe for a star's legacy. That's where he'd be able to prove the most.

Miami does get the most headlines though.

Bingo. Going to Miami is clearly not the best situation for him to win in. It IS the best situation though if he wants to take the pressure off and grab the most headlines.

Hell, he'd have a better chance of winning in New Jersey. They have Harrison and Lopez and would still have money to sign solid role players. Same with the Knicks.
Daniel0501
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject:

There has been a precedent set for superteams in the NBA.

It starts with Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Gary Payton and Karl Malone.

...and it ends with DE-TROIT BAS-KET-BALL.

Defense and team ball win championships. Flashy plays and big names don't. The age-old cliche has proven true time and time again. I still am not convinced LeBron will go to the Heat, but if he does... LET'S GO.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:

IMO LeBron would make a huge mistake going to New York. Fans there don't care who you are if you don't win you will feel their wrath. They boo the Yankees. Miami IMO is his best sign. Wade, Bosh and Pat Riley are good choices to win a ship. Maybe not next season but in the very near future. They don't win next year because we do a 3peat.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
LeBron picking Miami is cowardice.

Lets be honest 24/ocho. You guys and many others would hate on any decision he made.

Wouldn't matter what reasons he did anything, there would be a motive found or put out there to make Lebron look awful.

He's an egomanic and all about himself, business before basketball ... so he goes to Miami?

Sorry, not buying that. Miami means:

- Smaller market than NY and Chi.
- 30 M less in guaranteed money.
- Less attention
- No more MVP's, would have to win 70 a year to get them and I don't see that happening.
- Less stats.
- Less credit for wins.

I'm sorry ... but this is not a Lebron James move. At least not the James we've seen develop from a young kid into a spoiled brat so far. If he's going to Miami, it's to win. It's to have a legacy which wasn't just about great stats and MVP's. But rings too. Anytime a guy chooses that route, can't hate on it.

Now say he stays in Cle, goes to NY to be the man, that's actually Lebron being the Lebron that has exposed himself to be the last few years. All about money, business and himself first ... winning a distant second.

Don't care what way anyone slices it - going to Miami - great move with the primary goal to win. Props deserved. Wouldn't change the fact that he's an egomaniac and silly for doing all that he has done in the last 2 weeks - but when push came to shove - he would have for the first time in his career chosen the best basketball move.

But I don't believe for 1 second that's where is heading. I still think NY or re-signing with Cle. All this speculation is to stir up more interest for tonight at 9 PM. I believe that far more than him all of a sudden caring most about wining and going to Miami.

Cosign. Chicago and Miami are his best options to win. Maybe not next year since both teams are gutted to the core, but eventually. I would rather have Wade than Noah & Rose (not taking salary into consideration), and I would rather have Bosh than Boozer. Both teams have to use the minimum to complete their rosters.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Seems a little beneath you to call people out like that wolf, unless of course you're prepared to make the case that LBJ isn't an ego completely out of control.

But in answer, there are a couple things LBJ could have done that I would have given him props for:

He could have said "I'm a Cleveland/Akron guy, and this franchise and I have some unfinished business, and I intend to finish what I started."

Or, he could have listed the teams in play, not put something out everyday to keep everyone atwitter (pun intended), gone and visited each like a professional, and made his announcement like everyone else.

You may differ with me on Miami, but I see a place where He can rely on others, take credit, live in a cool place, and still have access to all the media. And Miami isn't some backwater BTW. Its light years ahead of Cleveland.
TCroft24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Since I couldn't care less about Lebron's best chance to win a championship, I'm hoping it is indeed Miami.

I think it'd be extremely fascinating if they were to play Los Angeles considering just about every facet of the match-up that spans management and geography. I think it'd be a SMASHING SUCCESS and I'm rather comfortable the Lakers win it in 5 or 6, with it playing out similar to how Detroit beat us, save for the Refs quality of calls.

I want to see Lebron with Wade and Bosh to see if they fail, if they roll everybody, I want to see Lebron need that caliber of players to win, etc etc etc
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Seems a little beneath you to call people out like that wolf

I'm not calling out anyone. I share a lot the same opinions on Lebron. But I feel some people just want to rain on anything he can possibly do. That's all. Not a call out - just the way I see it.

You know I love both you and ocho - far more than the average member. LG member that is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
Well, he will always be an attention whore.. His advisers are complete tools in Maverick Carter -- they really have killed his PR. Not disputing that. And the word is they want him to stay in Cle for the 30 + M. They are against him going to Miami.

Signing with Miami doesn't mean he changes who he is, but it changes how he approaches the game of basketball. For the first time it is about winning first, the rest of the stuff later.

Staying in Cle or going to NY means at least 3 more MVP's. I think no matter how you look at it off the court, on the court he would be sacrificing MVP's for a shot at rings.

And anytime basketball players do that - they deserve props. Including Bosh and Wade. Bosh is even taking less than the max, in this scenario. Really, you can't criticize these guys for doing this. They realized that they needed to do something like this to have a legit shot at rings. If this actually goes down - Wade, Bosh and James deserve props for thinking outside the box and putting winning ahead of everything.

I believed Wade and Bosh had in them losing so much the last 2-3 years. Lebron? Still not buying it. I think his MVP's and career numbers are way too important for him to come to Miami. Plus coming so close in the playoffs (Finals, ECF) a few times probably has him thinking he can do it by himself as the man. Still don't buy he all of a sudden is thinking basketball first ....

That's the reason I don't get down on him. He has been touted as the face of the league since he came to the game. I don't think he knew how to accept the accolades with class. I blame his team more so than I do him for his personality.
I don't think playing in Miami diminishes his chances at MVP I believe it to be just the opposite. If his numbers remain as they've been and Miami gets to the finals just his being LeBron will almost guarantee him another MVP. Remember he's still the face of the league until they change it.

IIRC all three, James, Wade and Bosh have stated they'd take a pay cut to get a ring. LeBron's still going to make endorsement money whether in New York, Cleveland or any large or small market. He did it in Cleveland and it's a small market. Business owners have, like the league, adopted him as their face. He has astute business managers to guide his investments. Warren Buffett will be his advisor no matter where he plays. If his team doesn't kill his image he'll be fine.

regarding the bolded...

so all of this is on HIS TEAM??? the team w/HIS NAME???

people can try to spin that he got bad advice for agreeing to this spectacle, but lbj's a biggy boy and ultimately HE'S the the one who ACCOUNTABLE for this farce.

dude had july 1, 2010 earmarked for a couple of years now. this sh *t has been planned all along.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Jim Gray said on Dan Patrick's show that he presented the idea to Maverick Carter about a 1 hour special on ESPN way back during Game 2 of the finals. So ESPN has known about the plan all along.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject:

FAILURE. He needs Wade to win. LOSER.
joeljoelbinks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Miami.. DANG..
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Have fun failing again Lebron!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm kind of shocked. But, Cleveland just died in their arms tonight.
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Now it will be interesting to see what Pat Riley puts around these three and then how they play together, it will certainly make next season interesting but I guess this means Raja Bell will be signing with Miami now because he wanted a contender and was hoping for Miami to put together a team to contend.

It will be fun playing NBA 2K as Miami now, just wait for the rest of free agency to get over and get an updated roster and play as them on 2K10.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject:

As soon as he said "win now", I knew Cleveland was doomed.

The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot and now, The Rejection.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I'm kind of shocked. But, Cleveland just died in their arms tonight.

I never felt more sorry for a state.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Cavs Athem Song: Down With The King.
okevino
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Miami probably has 82 national TV games this season.
while Cleveland will be empty. hell in Cleveland. or Ohio State as a whole.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject:

You have to figure that these guys had been talking about this for a while. Seems pre-planned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if this means LBJ and Wade make Bosh take way less than the max so they can have the max?
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
You have to figure that these guys had been talking about this for a while. Seems pre-planned.

Supposedly they made a pact in 08 at the Olympics. Apparently CP3 is supposed to join them in 2012.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject:

LALdynasty! wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Supposedly they made a pact in 08 at the Olympics. Apparently CP3 is supposed to join them in 2012.

That will be stupid. The NBA All-Star game will be a joke.

I hope they all fail miserably.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Seems a little beneath you to call people out like that wolf

I'm not calling out anyone. I share a lot the same opinions on Lebron. But I feel some people just want to rain on anything he can possibly do. That's all. Not a call out - just the way I see it.

You know I love both you and ocho - far more than the average member. LG member that is.

Fair enough. I just thought it was an unfair assertion. I bash LBJ because I feel he richly deserves it.

I would have been happy to give him props if he had stayed in Cleveland. Home town, they've bent over backward for him, and quite frankly, he let them down in the playoffs, not the other way around. I would have lrespected him if he had been willing to finish what he started. But when he quit on the team, then let everyone else take the fall, it was a precursor to this move. He's like AI. He wants to do what he wants, and then blame the results on everyone else.

He should have said, "I love it here, we have unfinished business, I am the leader of the team and I take responsibility. Bring me a coach who will make me a better player and us a less predictable offense."

But no. He's going to go and ride two other guys. If they win, he's going to claim the credit. It will be interesting to see what happens if they don't.

Oddly the thing that sticks in my craw is how he not only put this little look at me TV special together, but then acted like he's giving the ad money away. He doesn't get the ad money, ESPN does. Maybe they gave it to his choice of charities, but they gave it, not him. Yet, like everything else, he wants to take credit.

Until he proves otherwise, he's a spoiled punk, and quite frankly, I think Miami would be a better contender out of the box by splitting that 15-17 mil between three good players to put around Wade and Bosh.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject:

^I believe Lebron bought all the ad time, but ESPN agreed to give it all to charity. So it was really ESPN's sacrifice, not Lebron's. Although that was probably the price ESPN paid to have the ratings bonanza that this one hour likely was.

I tend to agree about Miami as well. The whole thing about not getting the max with that 6th year is overblown. For a guy like Lebron who makes more money off the court than on it, a $9 million dollar difference in his career doesn't matter much... especially when those $9 million will likely be made up by either/both 1) being in a bigger market in Miami which increases his exposure and/or 2) having a better shot at championships (which would also increase his brand exposure likely both while he's playing and when he retires).

I have no doubt the move was about Lebron's brand first and his championships second - it's just both tend to go hand in hand.

With the way he handled this mess (i.e. probably knowing he was going there for the past week, doing a one hour special on him, making a "second" announcement about the charity, and then a "third" mini-interview with the boys & girls club rep), not to mention all his other egotistical acts in the past, there is no doubt that Lebron is about Lebron. That couldn't have been any more clear today,

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject:

JTS1 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
Well, he will always be an attention whore.. His advisers are complete tools in Maverick Carter -- they really have killed his PR. Not disputing that. And the word is they want him to stay in Cle for the 30 + M. They are against him going to Miami.

Signing with Miami doesn't mean he changes who he is, but it changes how he approaches the game of basketball. For the first time it is about winning first, the rest of the stuff later.

Staying in Cle or going to NY means at least 3 more MVP's. I think no matter how you look at it off the court, on the court he would be sacrificing MVP's for a shot at rings.

And anytime basketball players do that - they deserve props. Including Bosh and Wade. Bosh is even taking less than the max, in this scenario. Really, you can't criticize these guys for doing this. They realized that they needed to do something like this to have a legit shot at rings. If this actually goes down - Wade, Bosh and James deserve props for thinking outside the box and putting winning ahead of everything.

I believed Wade and Bosh had in them losing so much the last 2-3 years. Lebron? Still not buying it. I think his MVP's and career numbers are way too important for him to come to Miami. Plus coming so close in the playoffs (Finals, ECF) a few times probably has him thinking he can do it by himself as the man. Still don't buy he all of a sudden is thinking basketball first ....

That's the reason I don't get down on him. He has been touted as the face of the league since he came to the game. I don't think he knew how to accept the accolades with class. I blame his team more so than I do him for his personality.
I don't think playing in Miami diminishes his chances at MVP I believe it to be just the opposite. If his numbers remain as they've been and Miami gets to the finals just his being LeBron will almost guarantee him another MVP. Remember he's still the face of the league until they change it.

IIRC all three, James, Wade and Bosh have stated they'd take a pay cut to get a ring. LeBron's still going to make endorsement money whether in New York, Cleveland or any large or small market. He did it in Cleveland and it's a small market. Business owners have, like the league, adopted him as their face. He has astute business managers to guide his investments. Warren Buffett will be his advisor no matter where he plays. If his team doesn't kill his image he'll be fine.

regarding the bolded...

so all of this is on HIS TEAM??? the team w/HIS NAME???

people can try to spin that he got bad advice for agreeing to this spectacle, but lbj's a biggy boy and ultimately HE'S the the one who ACCOUNTABLE for this farce.

dude had july 1, 2010 earmarked for a couple of years now. this sh *t has been planned all along.

I listened to LeBron last night at his inaugural. He said "I'm going to Miami to lead this team to a championship", that's Wade's job. "I took Cleveland to heights they've never been" and such. I envisioned a personality that exuded, I am king. Wade can and most likely will show Lebron the way. Bosh may not want to be second fiddle. Last night was a eye opener for me. I'm going to revisit my assessment of LeBron and his perception of self. I didn't like what I saw last night and try as I may I can't find a way to excuse him. Call me the last one to the table if you will. I know it's early, very early but I see us against them in the finals next season.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17
Jump to: