Favourite Book(s)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing the book and the excerpts, Greyhound. I will definitely be picking this one up. It sounds absolutely enthralling.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Steinbeck's East of Eden was one of my favorite books growing up. I owe it a re-read.
I recently read Murakami's Norwegian Wood and (bleep) loved it. It's a very particular kind of book that really aligns with my personality.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Steinbeck's East of Eden was one of my favorite books growing up. I owe it a re-read.
I recently read Murakami's Norwegian Wood and (bleep) loved it. It's a very particular kind of book that really aligns with my personality.

I think I'll be re-reading EoE soon as well.

Also I just got into Murakami, read some short stories in the Men Without Women book and also picked up IQ84 which I've been excited to read.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:

Also I just got into Murakami, read some short stories in the Men Without Women book and also picked up IQ84 which I've been excited to read.

Curious on your thoughts on 1Q84 when you have the chance to read it. One of my friends who's a big Murakami fan called it his magnum opus. I'm about to read Kafka on the Shore -- I've never really been into magical realism but hopefully it's something I grow into.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:

Curious on your thoughts on 1Q84 when you have the chance to read it. One of my friends who's a big Murakami fan called it his magnum opus. I'm about to read Kafka on the Shore -- I've never really been into magical realism but hopefully it's something I grow into.

I'm just over 700 pages into the book (it's divided into 3 parts and I just finished part 2) and what I will say is I spent most of my weekend reading 1Q84. The characters are very interesting because they're very human - even if they're doing extraordinary things you feel like they're a real person.

I definitely recommend checking it out. From my experience so far, the story only gets better and better the deeper you get into it. And the little details matter.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

I forgot to get back to you when I finished but I really enjoyed 1Q84. It's probably in my top 5 most I-dont-want-to-put-this-down-but-also-want-to-savor-its-greatness.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Finally got around to The Brothers Karamazov and it was fantastic. Currently reading Anna Karenina and it may become my favorite book.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:

I have a copy that I gave to my son. I read it in high school and in fact read every Steinbeck novel prior to hs graduation. I love Steinbeck. I even picked up his The Log from the Sea of Cortez, though I never found the time to read through it.

EoE is endearing, though I'm partial to In Dubious Battle, which won my heart. I enjoyed Travels with Charlie, but had a lingering suspicion that it was contrived. That suspicion was later confirmed.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I started reading Crashed: How a Decade of Financial Crises Changed the World while on vacation recently. It's a tad dense at times, but it is without a doubt the most lucid interpretation on our ongoing financial crises.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Barack's new memoir is very good. Really enjoying it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: