View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
whats up with Deontay Wilder always talking about wanting to end someones life in the ring? I recall him taking heat a while back for similar idiotic comments.....and now I see he is doing it again?

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/26763710/wilder-rebuked-wbc-breazeale-comments

Promotion

it is just too far....it is a very dangerous sport, an spouting about how your goal it to get a body is just gross in my opinion. Also, I have read multiple claims where he could cause himself some issues if it ever happened. It would always be difficult to prove in court that a boxer was trying to injure or kill a person as opposed to beat a person for the win....but his words could make it a little easier.

The boxer should be trying to knock his opponent out, in which you have to punch as hard as you possibly can within the rules. It is the referee’s job to stop the fight if rules broken or if someone appears hurt. Wilder saying outlandish stuff to promote and it worked
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Is this fight on regular showtime or pay per view?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Showtime 6:00pm PT. Got mine or record in case I fall asleep.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Deontay had a great jab. He showed more boxing skills. He got Breazeale in trouble early and finished him in the 1st round. His right hand is devastating. The KO was vicious.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Showtime 6:00pm PT. Got mine or record in case I fall asleep.

Wouldn’t take much sleep to miss it. Glad I didn’t miss the first round!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

Wilder being wilder, Joshua need to stop ducking, make the fight happens
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

I missed it when I tuned in last night. Figured it was gonna be round 2 or something only to find out it was over already.

Just finally got to see the whole fight, not just the knockout shot.

Man, Breazeale really looked just like I thought he was in the last fight.

Not that good.

Lazy jabs and rights. I thought maybe Breazeale would look decent for himself before he got caught, but that wasn’t the case. Wilder had intentions with each punch.

Was bound to work like that, just didn’t think so quickly.

Bye.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

People are always talking about why boxing is losing popularity, and so many talk about how it's too brutal of a sport for this day and age, but the NFL still has the most fans. The reason is that the best don't go up against the best. How popular would the NBA be if the Warriors decided they were only going to put their title up against the Suns this year.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Wilder being wilder, Joshua need to stop ducking, make the fight happens

It's almost always the promoters that keep these things from happening.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
People are always talking about why boxing is losing popularity, and so many talk about how it's too brutal of a sport for this day and age, but the NFL still has the most fans. The reason is that the best don't go up against the best. How popular would the NBA be if the Warriors decided they were only going to put their title up against the Suns this year.

That's one of the appearls UFC. Since there's not a million different promoters and agendas and every fighter is under their banner...the big fights always happen.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Deontay had a great jab. He showed more boxing skills. He got Breazeale in trouble early and finished him in the 1st round. His right hand is devastating. The KO was vicious.

Awesome fight! Hope Joshua finds the balls to fight either Fury or Wilder.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Besides PacMan vs Thurman, Wilder vs Joshua is the only fight I'd buy.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

PacMan only cause I’m a long time fan and I think every fight is his last now. Wilder, Joshua, Fury, Crawford, Loma, Canelo, GGG, Spence and even Mikey I’d pay to see box (there prob more), oh that overgrown Mungia dude too. Kovalev I’m ok skipping
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

PacMan only cause I’m a long time fan and I think every fight is his last now. Wilder, Joshua, Fury, Crawford, Loma, Canelo, GGG, Spence and even Mikey I’d pay to see box (there prob more), oh that overgrown Mungia dude too. Kovalev I’m ok skipping

I like Jamie too. Like you say he's over sized. 6'0" 147lbs. Record 32 0 26 KO's. He's PPV worthy but not a household name.

WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wilder turned down 100 million from dazn to fight Joshua
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't understand. He said he wants to fight Joshua but turned down the chance for a three fight, $100 million contract, two with Joshua.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What's your point? This fight should be a 50/50 split, not one fighter dictating how much the other should make AND where the fight takes place. Joshua has yet to fight Fury OR Wilder. Lately, Wilder has fought more notable people than Joshua, who seems content on coasting since his win over Klitschko (in which he was dropped by an old/shot fighter), who had already been beaten by Fury. If robotic AJ meets Wilder before Wilder is 35+, he will find himself on the canvas once again, but he won't be getting up this time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

@BadGuy He said he wanted to fight Joshua. This is his chance. I don't understand why he turned down a $100 million dollar chance.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@BadGuy He said he wanted to fight Joshua. This is his chance. I don't understand why he turned down a $100 million dollar chance.

People didn't understand why Pacquiao turned down Mayweather's flat fee offers either...until he made more than triple those flat fee amounts in the eventual fight. When one fighter tries to dictate strict terms to another, it usually means that fighter is ducking, especially when he has fought lesser competition, imo.

Edit: all major fights have split revenue agreements. this fight should be no different.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

People didn't understand why Pacquiao turned down Mayweather's flat fee offers either...until he made more than triple those flat fee amounts in the eventual fight. When one fighter tries to dictate strict terms to another, it usually means that fighter is ducking, especially when he has fought lesser competition, imo.

Edit: all major fights have split revenue agreements. this fight should be no different.

I'm thinking dollars. Wilder made about $10 million for his fight against Dominic Breazeale. If he takes the 3 fight $100 million dollar offer he stands to make about $33 million per fight. That's 3 times what he made on his last fight. Other than Fury who's out there to excite enough for a better payday? I don't think a Fury vs Wilder will generate a $100 million dollar payday.

Comparing Wilder vs Joshua to Mayweather vs Pacquiao is stretching. Mayweather only offered Pac a $40 million dollar flat fee for 1 fight and he wanted to keep all revenue and PPV monies. Neither Wilder or Fury generate the excitement as PacMan and MoneyMay. If he fights and beats Joshua his demand would be off the charts. His future earnings per fight would most likely triple. Consider his age 33. I say take the money and run.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm thinking dollars. Wilder made about $10 million for his fight against Dominic Breazeale. If he takes the 3 fight $100 million dollar offer he stands to make about $33 million per fight. That's 3 times what he made on his last fight. Other than Fury who's out there to excite enough for a better payday? I don't think a Fury vs Wilder will generate a $100 million dollar payday.

Comparing Wilder vs Joshua to Mayweather vs Pacquiao is stretching. Mayweather only offered Pac a $40 million dollar flat fee for 1 fight and he wanted to keep all revenue and PPV monies. Neither Wilder or Fury generate the excitement as PacMan and MoneyMay. If he fights and beats Joshua his demand would be off the charts. His future earnings per fight would most likely triple. Consider his age 33. I say take the money and run.

We don't know what Wilder is making. There is a reason these fighters with Al Haymon are tough negotiators. I believe they could be getting paid under the table. Even GGG/Canelo is another example of the "A side" trying to dictate terms and later agreeing to a split. Again, it would have been stupid for GGG to accept a flat rate. Similarly, I don't think Wilder cares about his age since I don't think he cares about whether he wins the fight (more than he cares about making money).

Wilder has only a few big paydays left in his career: AJ (and rematch) and, potentially, the Fury rematch. He'll fight AJ at 40 for a bigger payday rather than settle for less than he believes he is worth. This mentality sucks for boxing fans, but boxers these days don't seem to give a damn about the fans. If AJ wants the fight, he needs to agree to a split, or the fight will never ever happen.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

We don't know what Wilder is making. There is a reason these fighters with Al Haymon are tough negotiators. I believe they could be getting paid under the table. Even GGG/Canelo is another example of the "A side" trying to dictate terms and later agreeing to a split. Again, it would have been stupid for GGG to accept a flat rate. Similarly, I don't think Wilder cares about his age since I don't think he cares about whether he wins the fight (more than he cares about making money).

Wilder has only a few big paydays left in his career: AJ (and rematch) and, potentially, the Fury rematch. He'll fight AJ at 40 for a bigger payday rather than settle for less than he believes he is worth. This mentality sucks for boxing fans, but boxers these days don't seem to give a damn about the fans. If AJ wants the fight, he needs to agree to a split, or the fight will never ever happen.

It's chronicled Wilder made $10 million in his fight with Breazeale. They may be getting paid under the table, that's a maybe.

You're comparing Wilder to the likes of GGG, Alvarez, Pacquiao and Mayweather. He's nowhere near their draw. I understand your position on flat rates. Have you taken into consideration the sure thing to the possibility? If Wilder fights and defeats Joshua he'll have the upper hand. He'll have the negotiating leverage. If he cares more about money than winning the fight why not take the sure money? I think Wilder cares about winning the fight. He's a proud man.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It's chronicled Wilder made $10 million in his fight with Breazeale. They may be getting paid under the table, that's a maybe.

You're comparing Wilder to the likes of GGG, Alvarez, Pacquiao and Mayweather. He's nowhere near their draw. I understand your position on flat rates. Have you taken into consideration the sure thing to the possibility? If Wilder fights and defeats Joshua he'll have the upper hand. He'll have the negotiating leverage. If he cares more about money than winning the fight why not take the sure money? I think Wilder cares about winning the fight. He's a proud man.

Logically, Wilder should take the DAZN deal since he'll make more than he has before. However, humans operate on more than logic. I've been offered interviews with companies that were willing to top my current salary by 10-20%, and I have politely declined over and over again because I will only switch companies when the new salary meets my expectations.

As you said, Wilder is a proud man, so why would a proud man accept less than what he's worth? He'd rather accept nothing than get paid less than what he's worth. Taking a smaller sum of guaranteed money is what people with less confidence in themselves (or less time to live/work) tend to do, and Wilder fits in neither of those categories. Also, of course, I agree Wilder wants to win the fight, but I don't think he will prioritize making the fight sooner (while he is not past his prime yet) over making more money.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I eliminated the quote tree. It was beginning to dominate the page.

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:
Logically, Wilder should take the DAZN deal since he'll make more than he has before. However, humans operate on more than logic. I've been offered interviews with companies that were willing to top my current salary by 10-20%, and I have politely declined over and over again because I will only switch companies when the new salary meets my expectations.

As you said, Wilder is a proud man, so why would a proud man accept less than what he's worth? He'd rather accept nothing than get paid less than what he's worth. Taking a smaller sum of guaranteed money is what people with less confidence in themselves (or less time to live/work) tend to do, and Wilder fits in neither of those categories. Also, of course, I agree Wilder wants to win the fight, but I don't think he will prioritize making the fight sooner (while he is not past his prime yet) over making more money.

Logic vs Pride. Old adage; Pride goes before a fall. You may be giving more weight to pride than Wilder. IMO he wants to control the narrative. You could paralleled that with pride in a sense. Also you're placing yourself in another's shoes. I'm looking at pros and cons.

I believe in order to make the fight he'll capitulate because he wants to be the Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion Of The World. Agreeing to the terms will accomplish two ends, he'll make a good payday and he'll achieve a lifetime goal, undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

If he accepts the terms the ball will be in Joshua's court. If he accepts it wouldn't surprise me if Anthony changes the terms.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I eliminated the quote tree. It was beginning to dominate the page.

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

Logic vs Pride. Old adage; Pride goes before a fall. You may be giving more weight to pride than Wilder. IMO he wants to control the narrative. You could paralleled that with pride in a sense. Also you're placing yourself in another's shoes. I'm looking at pros and cons.

I believe in order to make the fight he'll capitulate because he wants to be the Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion Of The World. Agreeing to the terms will accomplish two ends, he'll make a good payday and he'll achieve a lifetime goal, undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

If he accepts the terms the ball will be in Joshua's court. If he accepts it wouldn't surprise me if Anthony changes the terms.

I don't see Wilder agreeing to any terms that don't involve a split of revenue. It may not be a 50-50 split, but it will be 45-55 or 40-60. I will be very surprised if he agrees to a flat rate given what we've seen with other major fights in the past. There's no guarantee he'll win the fight (especially with UK judges), but he has a lot more control over what he gets paid. We'll see what happens. I highly doubt Wilder agrees to a flat rate; Joshua certainly has turned down several flat rate offers already.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 466, 467, 468 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 467 of 514
Jump to: