Best Chinese Food
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Thread hijack warning. KOREAN FOOD is the king of all Asian foods.

I'm with ya...Korean food is by far the Best...
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Vancouver, hands down ...come here for chinese food and get blown away, literally. Best chinese food in North America, bar none.

Nope. SGV > Vancouver
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Chinese Food

LALakers999 wrote:

inland empire area.... in tired the one off of colima... it didnt impress me much

hmmm....yeah...there's one off Colima....they have awesome pan fried noodle chow mein and walnut shrimp.....also the "french style" beef is awesome as well....

what specifically are you looking for as far as chinese food? There are so many different options.....there's a few in the diamond bar area too...some minimall....duno the names, I don't go to the IE ever......
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

i dont' know if anyone said this or not yet i didn't read the thread...

but what about CHINATOWN? near the dodgers stadium? the place where rush hour was filmed is good...it says like JACKIE CHAN was here or something like that on the side..that place is good...and there are tons around that street.....
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Chinese Food

chef wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:

inland empire area.... in tired the one off of colima... it didnt impress me much

hmmm....yeah...there's one off Colima....they have awesome pan fried noodle chow mein and walnut shrimp.....also the "french style" beef is awesome as well....

what specifically are you looking for as far as chinese food? There are so many different options.....there's a few in the diamond bar area too...some minimall....duno the names, I don't go to the IE ever......

mostly really good veggi or spicy tofu joints...
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm Korean but I don't think Korean food has universal appeal.

Japanese food offers sushi, which is the most popular among all Asian food I think.

Then the Chinese offer the rich culinary history only matched by the French.

Of course I like Korean food the best... but I certainly wouldn't mind eating Sushi more often.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

Japanese food offers sushi, which is the most popular among all Asian food I think.

Of course I like Korean food the best... but I certainly wouldn't mind eating Sushi more often.

Korean food rocks. There were some excellent Korean food restaurants back when I roamed LA, right on Olympic. There was one place that let you cook your kalbi right at the table with wood & charcoal, until the folks at City Hall found out and threated to shut them down for fire code violations.

I love Cantonese food too, especially the salted fish. Not to mention, what's a Sunday brunch without dim sum?

I never really liked Mandarin though.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject:

i'm veggie myself and there are some good LA spots.

they don't compare to NYC or SF in my opinion, but very solid.

the best of LA for veggie chinese is HOUSE OF VEGE.

it's in LOMITA. all veggie, all fresh, all tasy as hell. plus, they have a deal, where for $12 per person, it's all you can eat! they have a menu with like 50 dishes. you sit and just start ordering dishes. they'll keep bringing them until you burst. go with the whole family, and you'll get to try many many dishes. it's very good.

if you take the 405 south, get off on Crenshaw, take it west all the way to the PCH. turn left it's like 1/2 a mile on the left.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I find most "Chinese" food (and I put it in quotes because most of it is American and not really Chinese) to be pretty much the same, which is a shame. Probably the best I have had is when I was in Chinatown in Seattle. I think the Pacific northwest, like VancouverFan said, would be better for that type of food than anywhere else in the country. Even the Chinatown in DC was pathetic (if you can still call that Chinatown), and I didn't eat anything at the Chinatown in Philly.

I do dig on Korean food, but it is not for everyone. I still don't quite get the one dish with the fried egg on top, but some of the stuff I have eaten is good. I went to a Korean restaurant in Ann Arbor, MI with a friend who spent time in Korea while in the military, and he said the food at this restaurant was exactly the same as the food he ate while monitoring the DMZ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I find most "Chinese" food (and I put it in quotes because most of it is American and not really Chinese) to be pretty much the same, which is a shame. Probably the best I have had is when I was in Chinatown in Seattle. I think the Pacific northwest, like VancouverFan said, would be better for that type of food than anywhere else in the country. Even the Chinatown in DC was pathetic (if you can still call that Chinatown), and I didn't eat anything at the Chinatown in Philly.

Go to Seafood Village or New Concept and tell me if you still think its all the same. Here's a preview: It isn't.

I grew up in the Northwest and went to Portland, Seattle and Vancouver Frequently. Seattle and Portland are pretty mediocre, and Vancouver is pretty awesome.

But, I still think that San Gabriel Valley blows them out of the water.

1. SGV
2. Vancouver
3. Frisco
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

Anyone I've taken to eat Korean food has absolutely loved it. I think you're confusing universal appeal with popularity. There are way more Chinese and Japanese people in the States than Koreans. China is also a country of 1+ billion people and Japan is a large country as well. South Korea has what... 49 million people?

Japanese food is good and healthy but it's a bit bland. Chinese food, I'm not a big fan of, and it's usually not as healthy as Korean/Jap food (depends on what you eat obviously and how much, but in general).

I dunno, dude, take ANYONE you know to a Korean BBQ place in Los Angeles and they will absolutely flip out over the food.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Anyone I've taken to eat Korean food has absolutely loved it. I think you're confusing universal appeal with popularity. There are way more Chinese and Japanese people in the States than Koreans. China is also a country of 1+ billion people and Japan is a large country as well. South Korea has what... 49 million people?

Japanese food is good and healthy but it's a bit bland. Chinese food, I'm not a big fan of, and it's usually not as healthy as Korean/Jap food (depends on what you eat obviously and how much, but in general).

I dunno, dude, take ANYONE you know to a Korean BBQ place in Los Angeles and they will absolutely flip out over the food.

You might be right.

It might just be that I haven't seen enough non-Koreans eating Korean food.

Before I came to SD, I've hardly ever seen white people in Korean restaurants.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject:

Speaking of SD Korean restaurants.... they suck.
I wish they had nice Korean food restaurants in SD... and maybe some 24 hr ones too like in LA.
Then I'd never have to resort to eating hamburgers.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

sushi in LA isn't that great...you gotta go to a good fishing town for that..where the fish is beautifully fresh. There's no way LA can match NW places like Vancouver B.C. I've had amazing tuna, tuna belly or fatty tuna, salmon that just melts in your mouth..my uncle and I ate 'til we were going to explode for under $40 total.

In LA, its all about the rolls.. which means sauces dressed up all fancy..which is fine..but if you want sashimi...Vancouver B.C. VERY NICE!
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
sushi in LA isn't that great...you gotta go to a good fishing town for that..where the fish is beautifully fresh. There's no way LA can match NW places like Vancouver B.C. I've had amazing tuna, tuna belly or fatty tuna, salmon that just melts in your mouth..my uncle and I ate 'til we were going to explode for under $40 total.

In LA, its all about the rolls.. which means sauces dressed up all fancy..which is fine..but if you want sashimi...Vancouver B.C. VERY NICE!

Yeah but to people in LA I think beverly hills is still the best place for sushi.
Sushi Matsuhisa was so freakin good.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

are you kidding me? (part deux)

LA has fantastic sushi...stuff is overnighted from all over the world, just like Vancouver....it probably has the best sushi and chinese food in the USA...matsuhisa, asebano, sasabune, nozawa, hide, etc etc etc......its not all Sushi Dan, Roku or geisha house....
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Speaking of SD Korean restaurants.... they suck.
I wish they had nice Korean food restaurants in SD... and maybe some 24 hr ones too like in LA.
Then I'd never have to resort to eating hamburgers.

Forget Korean food. I want pho!
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Thai food pwns all
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

I just had pho.
So cheap and yet easy on the stomach unlike fast food.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

One of my favorite sushi places is Sato and Sato II in Boston. My brother knows the chefs there, so they always hook him up with the best and little extras
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and I will admit my ignorance. What is pho?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Oh, and I will admit my ignorance. What is pho?

vietnamese noodle.
smokestack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:

this has become the official asian food thread!

pho is thin rice noodles in beef broth with mint and sprouts.

i found the "blue hen" in eagle rock to be delicious - it is owned by vietnamese people and is all organic! i think it has excellent vibes: a mix of hipness (with local artist' paintings on display for sale) and warm family attention. where else can u get authentic pho/vietnamese food?

im gonna add another (vital) question to the thread...where can i get GOOD indian food??
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm out on the east coast, so what I'll add is probably very regionally biased.

I have a love/hate relationship with Thai food. Most places don't get it right, not using the right ingredients or spices. One quick way of knowing is the pad thai test. If the pad thai is too sweet, too sour or smells like an old dishrag, then you know the rest of the menu probably sucks.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'm out on the east coast, so what I'll add is probably very regionally biased.

I have a love/hate relationship with Thai food. Most places don't get it right, not using the right ingredients or spices. One quick way of knowing is the pad thai test. If the pad thai is too sweet, too sour or smells like an old dishrag, then you know the rest of the menu probably sucks.

I order cashew chicken at Chinese restaurants the first time I go. It seems simple. If they can't get that right, I never return.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: