Why are people upset with Rob?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I don’t get it as well, everything appears to show Magic was in complete control all the way; only after the COO weighing in on the coach change at the end of the season did he fell like “complete control” had been lost.

Looks like the rest of the Lakers FO has the same concerns as fans....

So Rob is still a blank slate IMO. As for people not “liking” the guy who leads negotiations, from a business perspective (nothing i have seen indicates Pelinka is unlikable personally), that’s supposed to be a bad thing? Picking GMs assuming other teams are makings decisions based on on “liking” people is ridiculous....
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
There are lots of reasons, but primarily because he is not qualified to hold the job he has and he's there instead of somebody who is.

Why is he unqualified? He has a law degree and was one of the most prolific agents in the NBA, he understands the NBA and salary cap as well as anyone, he's been around the NBA for many years and understands the business. Why would you consider him unqualified? Because he hasn't had that specific title before? I'm asking what he's done to deserve people to want him fired when it seems he's been opposed to all of the decisions that we've been complaining about for the past 2 years.

It's not just a different title, it's an entirely different job for which he has zero experience and nobody to learn from and his former career has left him with a bad reputation amongst agents and teams he now has to deal with. Hiring him was a completely unforced error and done so because of his relationship with Jeanie. There are elite, experienced executives out there that would take the job, but instead we are running an on-the-job training program (with no trainer) during a crucial summer that is going to make or break LeBrob's time here.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
There are lots of reasons, but primarily because he is not qualified to hold the job he has and he's there instead of somebody who is.

Why is he unqualified? He has a law degree and was one of the most prolific agents in the NBA, he understands the NBA and salary cap as well as anyone, he's been around the NBA for many years and understands the business. Why would you consider him unqualified? Because he hasn't had that specific title before? I'm asking what he's done to deserve people to want him fired when it seems he's been opposed to all of the decisions that we've been complaining about for the past 2 years.

This. He was also on U of M's Fab Five team with Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, etc... to add to the qualifications from a basketball perspective.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Rob handled that press conference expertly. His answer struck the perfect tone of appreciation for what Magic has done for the organization, their great working relationship over the last two years, sadness over the fact that Magic thinks he somehow did him wrong, and hope that Magic will sit down with him so they can talk through things and put this behind them.

Magic on the other hand, lost a lot of credibility in my eyes today, and this is someone who watched him play in the 70's and 80's and has such fond memories of everything he's done for this organization.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm willing to give Rob Benefit of the doubt. He wasn't telling the truth when he said president of basketball ops were created by Jeanie for Magic. That's far from the truth.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

It's not just a different title, it's an entirely different job for which he has zero experience and nobody to learn from and his former career has left him with a bad reputation amongst agents and teams he now has to deal with. Hiring him was a completely unforced error and done so because of his relationship with Jeanie. There are elite, experienced executives out there that would take the job, but instead we are running an on-the-job training program (with no trainer) during a crucial summer that is going to make or break LeBrob's time here.

If you can only hire a GM who's been a successful GM in the past you have a list of like 4 people alive. He's literally probably more qualified than any other human who hasn't done the job previously.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I think what Rob said was on point, all it is just a lot a noise and the only way to beat that noise is to win!
I have a good feeling that they're going to do a good job, and even if they don't get the FA that everyone wants or expects the Lakers will have a playoff team that we can be proud of.
I like Vogel he actually looks like a coach..lol
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

If you can only hire a GM who's been a successful GM in the past you have a list of like 4 people alive. He's literally probably more qualified than any other human who hasn't done the job previously.

The league is filled with successful GMs. Go get one. There's more than 4, but who cares? Go get one of them. They didn't even try. Pelinka isn't more qualified than any other human because he isn't qualified at all. He's a rookie to this job. Zero experience and nobody to learn from.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Rob handled that press conference expertly. His answer struck the perfect tone of appreciation for what Magic has done for the organization, their great working relationship over the last two years, sadness over the fact that Magic thinks he somehow did him wrong, and hope that Magic will sit down with him so they can talk through things and put this behind them.

Magic on the other hand, lost a lot of credibility in my eyes today, and this is someone who watched him play in the 70's and 80's and has such fond memories of everything he's done for this organization.

Magic really disappointed me today, he sounded like an egomaniac who just wanted to blame everyone for his failures. I didn't think he was like this but now I know why things went sour. I have to change my mental picture of him and remember his greatness as a player.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I’d love to know who was behind the clarkson/nance for IT/mo trade. Seems that’s that’s the only plus transaction from magics regime, outside of getting LBJ and to some extent Javale. If it was indeed a Pelinka move, then that’s encouraging because I felt that was a pretty savvy move. Unlike the Zubac trade.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
I'm willing to give Rob Benefit of the doubt. He wasn't telling the truth when he said president of basketball ops were created by Jeanie for Magic. That's far from the truth.

How do you know that? Are you part of that inner group within the Lakers' management or is this just hearsay?
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

The league is filled with successful GMs. Go get one. There's more than 4, but who cares? Go get one of them. They didn't even try. Pelinka isn't more qualified than any other human because he isn't qualified at all. He's a rookie to this job. Zero experience and nobody to learn from.

I can't tell if you're being dense on purpose, holding a job title and doing the job isn't the only way someone can be qualified.

What are the qualifications ?
- Education? He's got a law degree
- Business experience ? He's specifically been involved with every aspect of the NBA on the business side from salary cap, player contracts, negotiations, and so on.
- Basketball experience? He play college basketball, was a part of the fab 5, and has been exclusively involved in the NBA/basketball for many years - and very successfully at that.

He's extremely qualified, qualifications are not defined exclusively by having held the job in the past. I have a masters degree and teaching credentials which makes me qualified for many teaching positions in my field even though I've never held a teaching position before. Stop conflating job experience with whether or not someone is qualified for the job itself.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm on board. Been a Lakers fan since 1960 and will be one until I expire. Listening to Pelinka an Vogel gave me something to look forward to. Magic left a foundation that can be built on. Hopes are it will be like Mark Jackson, Steve Kerr.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I think there was a portion of "hate" that was generated when Magic quit and there were a lot of flaky reports being published in the media and on social media about Rob being a backstabber/snake/etc. People's love for Magic may have made them look for someone else to scapegoat rather than accept Magic's shortcomings as POBO. As Magic's 2nd in charge, Rob was an easy target.

However, from reading these forums every day, it seems like most everyone quickly came to understand that those stories didn't add up, that Rob has a reputation for being a grinder, and are willing to give him a chance and see how he does as POBO or GM (whichever title he holds now). I think he deserves not only the chance but given some leeway too, for having to figure out how to navigate through Magic's decisions and this silly interview he did today too.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

With the (bleep) storm that Magic created if Rob does pull off a good off-season and we make a good run next season we should all get on our knees and beg Rob for forgiveness.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:

I can't tell if you're being dense on purpose, holding a job title and doing the job isn't the only way someone can be qualified.

- Business experience ? He's specifically been involved with every aspect of the NBA on the business side from salary cap, player contracts, negotiations, and so on.
- Basketball experience? He play college basketball, was a part of the fab 5, and has been exclusively involved in the NBA/basketball for many years - and very successfully at that.

He's extremely qualified, qualifications are not defined exclusively by having held the job in the past. I have a masters degree and teaching credentials which makes me qualified for many teaching positions in my field even though I've never held a teaching position before. Stop conflating job experience with whether or not someone is qualified for the job itself.

Huge congrats to Rob on his law degree, but that isn't going to help him build a basketball team. Nor is his experience as a player thirty years ago. Nor is his previous career as an agent (in fact, it looks like it may be a detriment). None of these things make you qualified for being a PBO. With respect to your teaching credentials, I would say since you've never held a teaching position before, you would not be qualified for maybe the most coveted teaching position in your field. Not to mention I am sure that as part of your training to be a teacher, you spent time as a student teacher studying under someone with experience. Rob has had zero training for this.

You're rolling the dice on an inexperienced novice and hoping for the best. I'd argue this is a terrible time to be gambling in such a way.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

This is the Lakers we are talking about, one of the most prestigious franchises in the NBA. Would you expect to have a tenured position at Harvard without a resume filled with teaching experience? Is he qualified? Possibly.

Is he the most qualified person for the job? No, because being an agent and managing a team requires different skill sets. Also, you need to have positive relationships with executives in other teams, which he reportedly does not have.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

So then who was the POBO before Magic?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Jim Buss.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Jim Buss.

Wasn't he VPOBO? I'm not sure we ever just had a POBO.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Jim Buss.

The titles are semantics. He was doing the job of a PBO, Mitch was doing the job of a GM.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

This is the Lakers we are talking about, one of the most prestigious franchises in the NBA. Would you expect to have a tenured position at Harvard without a resume filled with teaching experience? Is he qualified? Possibly.

Is he the most qualified person for the job? No, because being an agent and managing a team requires different skill sets. Also, you need to have positive relationships with executives in other teams, which he reportedly does not have.

What skill sets do representing and managing a player and representing and managing a team have that are exclusive of one another? I'd say there are many common skill sets required for both.

Also I wouldn't equate my degree and education in terms of teaching to his being an agent in terms of being GM. He has a much more impressive resume going for a GM than I would going for a position at Harvard.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Jim Buss.

The titles are semantics. He was doing the job of a PBO, Mitch was doing the job of a GM.

Yeah, the question is whether or not the actual POBO title was created for Magic or not and since we have never had anyone with that role then his statement holds true.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

haha, based on all the "backstabbing" Magic details today, it sounds like they were just trying to stop him from doing more damage. He was even worse than Isaiah GMing the Kinicks, ****ing things up at such a frantic pace it's amazing.

being a GM takes patience I think, which is why kupchak won titles. He'd wait months or years to make a move.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

What skill sets do representing and managing a player and representing and managing a team have that are exclusive of one another? I'd say there are many common skill sets required for both.

Also I wouldn't equate my degree and education in terms of teaching to his being an agent in terms of being GM. He has a much more impressive resume going for a GM than I would going for a position at Harvard.

Yes, he's capable of performing the job. However, he is not the best choice. Said another way, if he was not Kobe's agent, would he have gotten the job with the Lakers? No, he would not have.

Jeanie needs to hire the best people for the jobs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: