Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

One scary thought, for the longest time everyone believed that Jeanie had a blood feud with Jim and that caused her undermining behavior. But in addition to her discord with Jim, maybe she's an emotional mess who happens to blab when the media puts the mic in front of her. I mean, saying what she did about needing a star before the ASG in LA doesn't exactly strengthen Magic's/Pelinka's hands.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

That's just Jeanie being Jeanie. I really don't see any harm in what she said nor do I put any stock in it.
Regardless of what moves Magic/Pelinka make this statement will have no effect.
Jeanie's heart is in the right place but sometimes her mouth is not.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
That's just Jeanie being Jeanie. I really don't see any harm in what she said nor do I put any stock in it.

It makes me question this narrative of her as this Machiavellian mastermind who engineered her brother's downfall. Clearly she's not that savvy or bright. Still, I think people are jumping the gun. The new regime has not made any impetuous moves yet, unlike Mitch and Jim who wrote the book on short term thinking. At least give them the chance to fail before pouncing on them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:

It makes me question this narrative of her as this Machiavellian mastermind who engineered her brother's downfall. Clearly she's not that savvy or bright. Still, I think people are jumping the gun. The new regime has not made any impetuous moves yet, unlike Mitch and Jim who wrote the book on short term thinking. At least give them the chance to fail before pouncing on them.

Jeanie isn't stupid. She's just not discrete, nor does she really understand the basketball side (and there's really no excuse for that as long as she's been around and with as many potential mentors as she's had at her disposal).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:

AGREED!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark Medina: Jeanie Buss told @SportsMoneyBlog her hopes for Lakers to have an All-Star next year. Luke said he’d “never rule it out” w/ current group 11 hours ago – via Twitter MarkG_Medina
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
I don't understand what makes Jeanie so amazing that she is able to stay the controlling owner in perpetuity. What has she proven? Yeah I wanted both Jim and Mitch fired but Jeanie should have to go through the same "Prove that you're competent" challenge Jim had to go through

She has been at the helm of the Lakers for the worst 4 seasons in history. She has that going for her.

As for Magic and Pelinka, all we can do is take a wait and see attitude. The moves they made at the deadline were the moves that Jim and Mitch had planned on, so they will be on the clock this summer.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

DR. DRE, MAGIC JOHNSON, JEANIE BUSS ON LOS ANGELES 2024 OLYMPIC BID TEAM

Quote:
NBA legend Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and rapper Andre "Dr. Dre" Young headlined a 117-member group of selections and nominees for the LA 2024 Board of Directors announced by the Los Angeles' Olympic bid organization Thursday.

LA 2024 confirmed the entire list on its official website. Other notable choices include Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer, San Francisco Giants president Larry Baer and Walt Disney Company chairman Bob Iger.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701071-dr-dre-magic-johnson-jeanie-buss-on-los-angeles-2024-olympic-bid-team
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

JEANIE BUSS' PETITION TO BE LAKERS CONTROLLING OWNER FOR LIFE CONFIRMED BY JUDGE

Quote:

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David J. Cowan signed off on a deal outlining Jeanie Buss will retain controlling ownership of the Los Angeles Lakers, ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne reported Monday.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
JEANIE BUSS' PETITION TO BE LAKERS CONTROLLING OWNER FOR LIFE CONFIRMED BY JUDGE

Quote:

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David J. Cowan signed off on a deal outlining Jeanie Buss will retain controlling ownership of the Los Angeles Lakers, ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne reported Monday.

Do we hope for a long life or a short life?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Long. If I need people to die to be a happy can I need to give up sports.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Long. If I need people to die to be a happy can I need to give up sports.

It was a philosophical question. You and I are as old as dirt, no one values life more than us old folks. I am not impressed with Jeanie's leadership skills.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

3 Important Offseason Decisions

Quote:
Earlier this season, Lakers’ owner Jeanie Buss made impactful personnel changes. Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak are out, Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka are in. Here are three areas they should focus on this offseason.

After striking out in free agency and making dreadful decisions with cap space in recent years, the Los Angeles Lakers appear ready to turn a corner. With new President of Basketball Operations Magic Johnson and new GM Rob Pelinka at the helm, important decisions need to be made this summer.

To return the team to glory, they must draft well. They must make impressive pitches to free agents and they have to clear cap space so that they will be able to offer a max contract to one or two star players.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2017/04/03/lakers-3-important-offseason-decisions/
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Between Nwaba and Ennis, I have to give credit to the new regime for doing exactly what detractors of the old ones complained they didn't do: get rid of the Calderons and Huertas's and trying out some younger players to see if you can acquire potential rotation players. Obviously the jury's still out on whether Nwaba and Ennis can be that, but they certainly have more of a chance than a guy like Sacre.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Between Nwaba and Ennis, I have to give credit to the new regime for doing exactly what detractors of the old ones complained they didn't do: get rid of the Calderons and Huertas's and trying out some younger players to see if you can acquire potential rotation players. Obviously the jury's still out on whether Nwaba and Ennis can be that, but they certainly have more of a chance than a guy like Sacre.

Yup, you never know when you will get an Ariza, Bazemore, Whiteside or I Thomas.

Damn all those years we wasted with Sacre on the roster.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Raijin wrote:
I don't understand what makes Jeanie so amazing that she is able to stay the controlling owner in perpetuity. What has she proven? Yeah I wanted both Jim and Mitch fired but Jeanie should have to go through the same "Prove that you're competent" challenge Jim had to go through

She has been at the helm of the Lakers for the worst 4 seasons in history. She has that going for her.

As for Magic and Pelinka, all we can do is take a wait and see attitude. The moves they made at the deadline were the moves that Jim and Mitch had planned on, so they will be on the clock this summer.

Those 4 worst seasons are basketball related and directly attributable to the failings of your buddies Jim and Mitch. Her business side has been doing well -- so well in fact that despite the awful records the last 4 years, they can still raise ticket prices.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you missed it but Jeanie has been team President and not running the business since Dr. Buss died. She has been the person in charge of the team. Excuse her all you want but you cannot ignore the reality of the situation.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe you missed it but Jeanie has been team President and not running the business since Dr. Buss died. She has been the person in charge of the team. Excuse her all you want but you cannot ignore the reality of the situation.

Believe whatever you want to believe to make you sleep better at night. Most of us know the real score.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

No one believes a guy who defended Mitch/Jim like his life was dependent on it and is now taking stab at new regime

But please continue
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No one believes a guy who defended Mitch/Jim like his life was dependent on it and is now taking stab at new regime

But please continue

Out of curiosity, would the opposite be equally valid?
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

But please continue

Out of curiosity, would the opposite be equally valid?

yupe. I actually liked Mitch till the Moz/Deng deals.

Jim is the 1 i never cared for, specially after the Sacre comment: he might be a role player in 5-8years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Yeah, and while the popular criticisms of the old regime center on frontcourt acquisitions, in many ways they did their poorest work in the back court. Lacking a backup 1 who could run the same offense and instead handing out a 12.5 mil contract to a guy who duplicated another guy, and who couldn't get more than 5.5 on the market due to arenas rules.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Believe whatever you want to believe to make you sleep better at night. Most of us know the real score.

Evidently not
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

I have confidence in the new FO, wish them nothing but the best & I'm sure that they will deliver a winning product.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

NBA Projects $101MM Salary Cap Next Season
Quote:
The NBA’s latest salary cap projection for the 2017/18 season is now $101MM, sources told Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical. That’s an increase of nearly $7MM over this season’s cap of $94.1MM but lower than previous projections. The tax level is projected to rise $8MM to $121MM next season, Wojnarowski adds. (Twitter links).

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/04/nba-projects-101mm-salary-cap-next-season.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 4 of 174
Jump to: