Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I’d shell out for Seager, makes no sense to me to lose him given his value and potential. No other realistically get able SS comes close nor do they come with his positional versatility.

If he's past his injuries, I'd keep Seager before Belli although I'd prefer to have both.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
I’d shell out for Seager, makes no sense to me to lose him given his value and potential. No other realistically get able SS comes close nor do they come with his positional versatility.

If he's past his injuries, I'd keep Seager before Belli although I'd prefer to have both.

I'd have to agree.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I'd have to agree.

It's going to be REALLY interesting what the new balls will do to everyone. I hope he makes me eat my words but I think Belli might suffer for it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
It's going to be REALLY interesting what the new balls will do to everyone. I hope he makes me eat my words but I think Belli might suffer for it.

Bellinger’s career pattern so far has been:

2017: up year
2018: down year
2019: up year
2020: down year

2021: up year????
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I'd have to agree.

I hope they both have a great year and we pay him. Injuries are literally the only concern right now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I'd have to agree.

I hope they both have a great year and we pay him. Injuries are literally the only concern right now.

I think the biggest concern is if Seager’s defense slips so much that he can’t play SS anymore.

I think they don’t want to pay SS money for someone that has to move positions in a couple of years.

Plus, if a 3B becomes available or Hoese develops into a good one, they’d have a dilemma with Seager on the books.

I think that’s the biggest issue. Someone like Story or Lindor are better defensively and won’t have to be moved to another position.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

Bauer looked a little shaky with his command last night, probably nothing to be alarmed over as he's likely tinkering and experimenting on the mound during these meaningless exhibitions.

Goose otoh, 3 no hit frames of relief with 5 K's.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I'd have to agree.

I think the biggest concern is if Seager’s defense slips so much that he can’t play SS anymore.

I think they don’t want to pay SS money for someone that has to move positions in a couple of years.

Plus, if a 3B becomes available or Hoese develops into a good one, they’d have a dilemma with Seager on the books.

I think that’s the biggest issue. Someone like Story or Lindor are better defensively and won’t have to be moved to another position.

I agree with this too. My gut is that he's not a Dodger after this season.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I'd have to agree.

Idea of this bothers me so much. Dodgers have a chance at a true dynasty during a time the league is down and owners are penny pinching. I'm repeating myself but he's easily a 300MM player to me. As for positional insecurity, not concerned - DH is coming. Worst case Seager is an average SS/3B most days that can be the best DH in the league. More realistically he's a Ripkin-esque talent with plus defensive upside. As for all the guys in our pipeline . . . trade them for more pitching or top utility guys. Why speculate and hope when we know we have a sweet hitting STUD entering his prime.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I'd have to agree.

Idea of this bothers me so much. Dodgers have a chance at a true dynasty during a time the league is down and owners are penny pinching. I'm repeating myself but he's easily a 300MM player to me. As for positional insecurity, not concerned - DH is coming. Worst case Seager is an average SS/3B most days that can be the best DH in the league. More realistically he's a Ripkin-esque talent with plus defensive upside. As for all the guys in our pipeline . . . trade them for more pitching or top utility guys. Why speculate and hope when we know we have a sweet hitting STUD entering his prime.

Me too. The Boras aspect plus the injury history are the only things holding him back from being a Dodger. I agree defensively he’s not up to par w Story or Lindor but his hitting mechanics are off the charts juiced ball or not. If he’s healthy this year and picks up where he left off we must break the bank for him but I’m not sure if Friedman will. I’m worried myself.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

^
His health this year will play a big factor. If he mashes for 150 games, let's say, he's getting a massive contract in free agency. On the other hand, if he struggles with injuries or if his hitting reduces to solid-but-not-great levels, it's a different story. And if he both struggles with injuries and has his hitting go back to solid-but-not-great levels, many teams are going to be very cautious. This is an enormous season for Seager.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Seager I think is a better overall player than Bellinger, Dodgers have some tough decisions coming up as they have so much talent it will be impossible to pay them all as we saw with losing Joc and Kike.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Seager I think is a better overall player than Bellinger, Dodgers have some tough decisions coming up as they have so much talent it will be impossible to pay them all as we saw with losing Joc and Kike.

Both of those guys are certainly replaceable talents. They may feel like Seager isn't replaceable, if he backs up his 2020 with a monster 2021. They may feel like Bellinger isn't replaceable when the time comes, given his incredible power and versatility and speed. Ditto Buehler.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject:

Somehow I get the sense Friedman is not that high on Seager. He tried to trade him for Lindor before last year.

I think Friedman really values defense. That’s why we see him go after guys like Arenado, Lindor, Betts, etc.

I think Friedman tries to sign him, but he might not go after him all out. Just my gut instincts.

That 1-2 combo we have at the top of the order is so nice though: Betts n Seager. So lethal.

Oh one other factor we haven’t mentioned is Lux. If Lux plays well this year, he might be an option at SS. They might move Lux to SS and re-sign Chris Taylor for 2B. Or, Busch might be ready for 2B next year.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Somehow I get the sense Friedman is not that high on Seager. He tried to trade him for Lindor before last year.

I think Friedman really values defense. That’s why we see him go after guys like Arenado, Lindor, Betts, etc.

I think Friedman tries to sign him, but he might not go after him all out. Just my gut instincts.

That 1-2 combo we have at the top of the order is so nice though: Betts n Seager. So lethal.

Oh one other factor we haven’t mentioned is Lux. If Lux plays well this year, he might be an option at SS. They might move Lux to SS and re-sign Chris Taylor for 2B. Or, Busch might be ready for 2B next year.

Good points, but if Friedman really values defense, I don't see Lux as the SS option, at least as the primary option.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

^
It's not like Seager is a great defensive SS. He makes the plays, but his range is meh. Very Ripken-esque in that way, when Cal was in his prime. From what I understand, Lux is a better SS than he is a second baseman, although that may not mean he's a good defensive SS relative to the rest of the league. I haven't seen him there so I will reserve judgment. Lux has looked a little rough at 2B to me but that has been in a very small sample size, to be fair.

Picking up on LongBeachPoly's comments, yeah, Friedman clearly values versatility in his players. Seager's value right now lies in the fact that he was one of the best hitters in baseball a season ago, and he plays an important defensive position competently. But if they don't think he will be a SS for 3-4 more years, and if they don't think he's likely to hold up health-wise, I just don't see us breaking the bank for him. The great majority of his value would be based on his ability to mash in the batter's box if he has to switch positions, and if that ability drops even a little bit, you might have a $10-15MM player that is making $30MM a year. The Dodgers have been willing to absorb potential hits to the budget if they are short-term, but they don't want to have a guy on a massive contact for many years and he's an albatross.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Good points, but if Friedman really values defense, I don't see Lux as the SS option, at least as the primary option.

Yeah he values defense, but he values low cost options as well.

I think if I were to rephrase it, I’d say when choosing who to pay the big money to, I think defense is a huge consideration for Friedman.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
It's not like Seager is a great defensive SS. He makes the plays, but his range is meh. Very Ripken-esque in that way, when Cal was in his prime. From what I understand, Lux is a better SS than he is a second baseman, although that may not mean he's a good defensive SS relative to the rest of the league. I haven't seen him there so I will reserve judgment. Lux has looked a little rough at 2B to me but that has been in a very small sample size, to be fair.

Picking up on LongBeachPoly's comments, yeah, Friedman clearly values versatility in his players. Seager's value right now lies in the fact that he was one of the best hitters in baseball a season ago, and he plays an important defensive position competently. But if they don't think he will be a SS for 3-4 more years, and if they don't think he's likely to hold up health-wise, I just don't see us breaking the bank for him. The great majority of his value would be based on his ability to mash in the batter's box if he has to switch positions, and if that ability drops even a little bit, you might have a $10-15MM player that is making $30MM a year. The Dodgers have been willing to absorb potential hits to the budget if they are short-term, but they don't want to have a guy on a massive contact for many years and he's an albatross.

Yeah, if Seager was looking for 4 years at $30-35M per, I think Friedman would go for it.

But I have a feeling Seager’s looking for a 10 yr $300M type contract and Friedman might balk at that.

Especially the 10 years.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
His health this year will play a big factor. If he mashes for 150 games, let's say, he's getting a massive contract in free agency. On the other hand, if he struggles with injuries or if his hitting reduces to solid-but-not-great levels, it's a different story. And if he both struggles with injuries and has his hitting go back to solid-but-not-great levels, many teams are going to be very cautious. This is an enormous season for Seager.

The optimist in me thinks he's going to have an MVP-caliber season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

It's possible. He'll obviously be highly-motivated, and he's looked like the same guy this spring that he did last spring.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Yeah and his price just goes up with it and Friedman still might not want to pay.

If he has a 1.000 ops type season, we might be looking at 13 yrs $400M+, who knows.

Bryce Harper got 13 for $330M
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers renew Andrew Toles’ contract as he deals with mental health issues

For the second year in a row, the Dodgers renewed Toles’ contract at close to the major-league minimum this week (approximately $583,000). Toles remains on the Restricted List, however, and does not draw any salary (or occupy a roster spot). But the procedural move could maintain access to healthcare for Toles who continues to receive intermittent treatment for mental health issues.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

Lux minor league SS numbers:

Fld% RF/9 RF/G
.937 3.84 3.67

League (MLB) numbers last 6 years:

.973 4.06 4.01
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Lux minor league SS numbers:

Fld% RF/9 RF/G
.937 3.84 3.67

League (MLB) numbers last 6 years:

.973 4.06 4.01

Yeah he’s struggled defensively that’s for sure. He’s going to have to improve defensively to be an option at SS.

Can’t go back to the days of Jose Offerman or Hanley Ramirez.

I heard he’s improved defensively this year.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

Sounds like Will Smith got yolked.

Quote:
Reportedly, the catcher rolled into camp ready to work. Moreover, according to fellow Dodger youngster Gavin Lux, his long-time minor league teammate arrived at Camelback Ranch in great shape and ready to improve. Lux was interviewed on Dodger Talk with David Vassegh this week and had this to say about Smitty’s spring physique:

“He looks good dude, I mean, his biceps are the size of my quads, so, he looks like a tank.”

Quote:
The fact that Smith rolled into Arizona in February in game shape says a lot about LA’s 2016 first round pick. Many young players would be complacent after winning a World Championship, but not Will Smith.

He’s in shape now, rather than playing himself into shape, which means he’ll have added time to improve his defensive skills throughout camp. In addition to continuing to build his rapport with the pitching staff, Smith will also need all the time he can get to learn how to handle two new starters in Trevor Bauer and David Price.

Smith needs to continue to perform offensively and defensively if he wants to firmly cement himself as the everyday starting catcher.

Physically, he’s better than ever. Just don’t ask him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 22 of 395
Jump to: