Lakers Smokescreen Article, per Hoopsword...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
re4ee wrote:
Bystander wrote:
What is this with Chandler that people want him here?
Is it 7 points career average, no double digits in any category or injuries that make him so attractive?
Yeah, folks, THIS is the question I want answered as well. I don't get the Chandler-love around here.

It has little to do with Chandler...

It's the Lamar hate which really is bizzare.

You could put just about any name you want in a deal, our brethren would cheer it as loud as can be heard from Los Angeles to beautiful downtown Bakersfield...

Laker fans would trade basketball player, no matter who for Lamar Odom...

They would be singinging a different tune if they seen how many giant leaps backward our guys took in the first month of the season. as maybe one of the "trade em up folks" would be heard saying well, we wouldn't have been doing any better with Odom, in an attempt to save face.

Chandler, and kwame, a rookie who Smush will have on the bench for God knows how long as soon as it is obvious that he isn't ready for primetime which won't be long, while the only two guys who are the most efficient at the tri would be Luke,and Kobe...

Whoa... Talk about a loooooooonnnngggg season....

Hey what's wrong with Bakersfield?
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

mttbk wrote:
So "at times" we could have a line-up of:

Banks
Sasha
Walton
Chanler
Brown

AV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

It's not LO hate, just out of all the laker pieces available he probably has the most value, so that's why his name comes up so often...we may get something for Mihm but nothing earth shattering, Bynum as well but it seems like the lakers are committed to him and his salary is quite small at the moment, so then that really leaves LO in terms of what needs to be moved in a "bigger" move....if LO stays that's fine give the team another year see how they do, I might not do that, but if that's what the lakers do it wouldn't be craziness....but if they do something big I just don't see how LO isn't involved
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSailor wrote:
This article is horrible. First of all you can't assume the Lakers weren't high on Green before they made the promise to Bynum. You can't go back on draft promises and so they had to let Green slide on by. Green looked spectacular in the time he had towards the end of the season, throwing down 10X the spectacular dunks that Bynum did. Thirdly, the whole tone is wrong, acting like the whole Green thing was a smokescreen, like Mitch planned it all. What an absolute joke. Mitch is nowhere near that savvy. Green was a top pick by nearly every scout and expert out there, he's just they dropper and steal of that draft..

My recollection is that both Portland and the Lakers wanted to draft high school players last draft. Together, they concocted the rumor that the Lakers were going to trade up with Portland in order to nab Gerald Green. The idea being that if a team was going to try to beat the Lakers to their pick, they would take the wrong guy.

So, based upon my recollection:
  • The Lakers weren't high on Green before they made the promise to Bynum
  • The whole Green thing was a smokescreen
  • Mitch and John Nash did plan it all
  • Mitch is that savvy

This season was a lost season for Green. He had an underwhelming summer league, an underwhelming training camp, an underwhelming pres-season, didn't play a minute of NBA ball, got sent down to the NBDL and had an epiphany. Came back to the Celtics with a better attitude and started getting a few minutes around the end of quarters (with the exception of the 2/22 game against Phoenix where GG played 23 minutes and scored 13). Starting 3/29, the Celtics threw in the towel on the season and gave GG double-digit minutes in 10 of the last 11 games. None of the last 11 games were meaningful and they resembled summer league games in terms of the talent playing and the quality of play. I am very doubtful as to whether stats from such games are worthy of scrutiny.

Looking at his stats, two things stand out:
1. He is poor at shooting the 3, even though his jump shot is supposed to be his biggest strength
2. He is a really poor rebounder for someone who is 6'8"
But again, it's hard to put much faith into his stats given how his minutes came about.

So the 20 year old GG couldn't earn significant minutes in meaningful games all season long. Now, it's a question of how strong is his work ethic. He didn't show any work ethic prior to going to the NBDL, having gone from shooting 40% while coming off the bench in summer league games to shooting 40% while coming off the bench in NBDL games. His work ethic was better after he came back, but will his desire to improve fade as the memories of the NBDL fade? Given how poor is work ethic was before, I am pessimistic that he will work hard enough to be able to overcome the rawness to his game.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
re4ee wrote:
Bystander wrote:
Is it 7 points career average, no double digits in any category or injuries that make him so attractive?
Yeah, folks, THIS is the question I want answered as well. I don't get the Chandler-love around here.

You could put just about any name you want in a deal, our brethren would cheer it as loud as can be heard from Los Angeles to beautiful downtown Bakersfield...

They would be singinging a different tune if they seen how many giant leaps backward our guys took in the first month of the season. as maybe one of the "trade em up folks" would be heard saying well, we wouldn't have been doing any better with Odom, in an attempt to save face.

Chandler, and kwame, a rookie who Smush will have on the bench for God knows how long as soon as it is obvious that he isn't ready for primetime which won't be long, while the only two guys who are the most efficient at the tri would be Luke,and Kobe...

Not a thing... In fact the reason I love to use Bakerfield so much is because my parents were comical enough as they were traveling about the state to have me in that illustrious city on the very first day of July!

I visit it every now,and then just so I can continue to ask the question

Why?
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I certainly have no hate for Odom. Really admire than man and his game. At the end of last season I was giving much love to Odom. That being said, he was inconsistent offensively for most of the season, and I do have some doubt about whether, at his salary, he can be the second offensive player next to Kobe that the Lakers need to contend for a championship. I think that is entirely reasonable, Shoes. The Lakers need at least one 20 ppg player next to Kobe in order to contend. Plus a mix of other players that can consistently score double digits, play some solid defense, rebound, pass etc.

As Ive said all along, if the Lakers trade Odom it has to be for two starters. This deal potentially would give them that. Every other deal Ive heard does not do that (including the horrid GS Dunleavy deal, OY!). If you can turn Odom into two starters that can bring a mix of defense and scoring ... you have to consider it. Do I wish Tyson had some offensive ability? Yes. Do I wish his contract was not huge? yes. But in either case, if those things were true, the Lakers couldnt get him.
LakerSailor
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
LakerSailor wrote:
This article is horrible. First of all you can't assume the Lakers weren't high on Green before they made the promise to Bynum. You can't go back on draft promises and so they had to let Green slide on by. Green looked spectacular in the time he had towards the end of the season, throwing down 10X the spectacular dunks that Bynum did. Thirdly, the whole tone is wrong, acting like the whole Green thing was a smokescreen, like Mitch planned it all. What an absolute joke. Mitch is nowhere near that savvy. Green was a top pick by nearly every scout and expert out there, he's just they dropper and steal of that draft..

My recollection is that both Portland and the Lakers wanted to draft high school players last draft. Together, they concocted the rumor that the Lakers were going to trade up with Portland in order to nab Gerald Green. The idea being that if a team was going to try to beat the Lakers to their pick, they would take the wrong guy.

So, based upon my recollection:
  • The Lakers weren't high on Green before they made the promise to Bynum
  • The whole Green thing was a smokescreen
  • Mitch and John Nash did plan it all
  • Mitch is that savvy

This season was a lost season for Green. He had an underwhelming summer league, an underwhelming training camp, an underwhelming pres-season, didn't play a minute of NBA ball, got sent down to the NBDL and had an epiphany. Came back to the Celtics with a better attitude and started getting a few minutes around the end of quarters (with the exception of the 2/22 game against Phoenix where GG played 23 minutes and scored 13). Starting 3/29, the Celtics threw in the towel on the season and gave GG double-digit minutes in 10 of the last 11 games. None of the last 11 games were meaningful and they resembled summer league games in terms of the talent playing and the quality of play. I am very doubtful as to whether stats from such games are worthy of scrutiny.

Looking at his stats, two things stand out:
1. He is poor at shooting the 3, even though his jump shot is supposed to be his biggest strength
2. He is a really poor rebounder for someone who is 6'8"
But again, it's hard to put much faith into his stats given how his minutes came about.

So the 20 year old GG couldn't earn significant minutes in meaningful games all season long. Now, it's a question of how strong is his work ethic. He didn't show any work ethic prior to going to the NBDL, having gone from shooting 40% while coming off the bench in summer league games to shooting 40% while coming off the bench in NBDL games. His work ethic was better after he came back, but will his desire to improve fade as the memories of the NBDL fade? Given how poor is work ethic was before, I am pessimistic that he will work hard enough to be able to overcome the rawness to his game.

Green is a HS player, same as Bynum. What meaningful minutes did Bynum get? Bynum would have been better served going to the NBDL IMHO. There he could actually learn some skills instead of riding the pine all day. The main problem with this article is why bother with some smokescreen if you were planning on drafting A Bomb the whole time? No one in the top 9 had A Bomb even in the discussion so Mitch comes up withthis genius plan to fool everyone into thinking he was going to draft someone else when the guy he really wanted had a 99% chance of being there the whole time? what a colossal waste of time and energy. That's why this article is beyond horrible and just another example of rah-rah "reporting" and homer revisionism..
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

And if you cant turn Odom into two starters, then keep him! Use the MLE and a Mihm package to trade for two starters: Banks and Miles, and then aim for a 50 win season next year. That team might even be better, record wise, than a team with Roy and Chandler instead of Odom. I just don't know.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
re4ee wrote:
Bystander wrote:

Not a thing... In fact the reason I love to use Bakerfield so much is because my parents were comical enough as they were traveling about the state to have me in that illustrious city on the very first day of July!

I visit it every now,and then just so I can continue to ask the question

Why?

Hey I spent my first 21 years there until I moved to Tulsa. July 1 must be a special day there now in Bakofield.
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerSailor wrote:

Green is a HS player, same as Bynum. What meaningful minutes did Bynum get? Bynum would have been better served going to the NBDL IMHO. There he could actually learn some skills instead of riding the pine all day. The main problem with this article is why bother with some smokescreen if you were planning on drafting A Bomb the whole time? No one in the top 9 had A Bomb even in the discussion so Mitch comes up withthis genius plan to fool everyone into thinking he was going to draft someone else when the guy he really wanted had a 99% chance of being there the whole time? what a colossal waste of time and energy. That's why this article is beyond horrible and just another example of rah-rah "reporting" and homer revisionism..

Id rather have potential big man than potential wing player. Green showed less than Bynum last year. If He doesnt show anything this year, he might just be out of the league in a few years. A 7 footer on the other hand? Bynum has a few years to show whether he can be a borderling All Star ... if he cant, he will still most likely be a starting Center in the league for a long time. As for Green vs Bynum? Just call Ainge today and ask if he would trade Green straight up for Bynum? I bet he'd jump on that deal. Remember, the Lakers thought they had uncovered a gem in Bynum last year and shut down his workouts so that no one else discovered him. They then talked up Green at #10 in order to conceal their plan. That is the very definition of smokescreen.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason wrote:
I certainly have no hate for Odom. Really admire than man and his game. At the end of last season I was giving much love to Odom. That being said, he was inconsistent offensively for most of the season, and I do have some doubt about whether, at his salary, he can be the second offensive player next to Kobe that the Lakers need to contend for a championship. I think that is entirely reasonable, Shoes. The Lakers need at least one 20 ppg player next to Kobe in order to contend. Plus a mix of other players that can consistently score double digits, play some solid defense, rebound, pass etc.

As Ive said all along, if the Lakers trade Odom it has to be for two starters. This deal potentially would give them that. Every other deal Ive heard does not do that (including the horrid GS Dunleavy deal, OY!). If you can turn Odom into two starters that can bring a mix of defense and scoring ... you have to consider it. Do I wish Tyson had some offensive ability? Yes. Do I wish his contract was not huge? yes. But in either case, if those things were true, the Lakers couldnt get him.

In general I agree with most of what you've said with some notable exceptions. I don't feel like a lot of people are taking into account the fact that LO should be much improved this coming season. He was inconsistent the first half of this season as he learned the triangle. There's a lot of desire to trade LO for unproven talent, when in him you've got a young match-up nightmare where we already know his floor, but who hasn't yet reached his ceiling but could improve a great deal.

People point to LO's salary, but in Chandler you've got a guy who's going to average 11+ M over the next five years - he's more inconsistent than LO, more injury prone, and can only rebound and play good help D. Check his numbers - he's a solid shot blocker, not a great one.

Sure you could get another starter out of this if you could nab someone like Roy. But it's about the risk you're taking. If you're trading LO, you're trading an excellent young forward for a severly overpaid forward who's not nearly as good and the hope that a rookie develops into a 20 point scorer. I'd rather keep LO and either use him in another deal or look for a young guard who can grow into a solid 14 - 15 point scorer to complement Kobe and LO.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason wrote:

Let me get this straight....

Tyson Chandler who spends most of his time in and out of convelescent homes,and a wwwwaaayyyyy to hyped rook that may or may not make it is going to be the two alleged starters?

If the Lakers do this deal it would mean that they quit for now... The next step would be to see who they could draft next year because Chandler will have not only ate up wwwwaaayyy to much money for what he brings to the table, he would proabably be costing additional money for the extra room service at the hospital he would be watching the games from TV on.
Next, to much is being levied on this rookies chances of being able to deliver right out of school. Lebron James he is not, or else we would have been hearing more about him a lot earlier, like you did with all the other college phenoms that were immediate successes.

This is a joke...

No way this happens...

Last edited by THE_SHOES on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
For Chandler? No.

I'd actually be very happy with Tyson Chandler. He'd be our Dennis Rodman with better shot-blocking and much better length. Down the road, we'd have 2 mobile giants up front in Bynum/Chandler.

I'm sure we'd all love LBJ instead, but if he signs with Cleveland, I'd be thrilled with Tyson as an addition, even if I don't like his contract. Rebounding, shot-blocking, weakside defense - on that side of the court, he'd be perfect fit with Kwame right now. Ideally, Kwame is working on his offensive game, which should make him more aggressive as he'll feel better prepared and better acclimated to what we run.

That said, I don't really expect that trade to go down at all. The reality is that by the time most of these rumors get out there, the deal is already dead. Sure, it can be revisited, but I don't expect that to happen and I'm fine with it not happening.

idk, I guess it would depend on the moves afterwards, but I don't like Chandler's foul trouble and lack of offense

Just remember how awful Rodman's offense was, or how terrible Ben Wallace's offense is. Yet wasn't/isn't their defense, rebounding and shot-blocking key to championships? Yes, it was.

The beauty of that deal, which I don't expect to happen at all anyway, is that (a) we get to keep Bynum and (b) once he develops, he'll be the post offense - as we've all seen that scoring is something he clearly looks to do, as well. The thought of a Bynum/Chandler frontcourt is niiiiice to me.

I understand how he fits defensively, I do. However, he's just a clone of Kwame on the offensive end. Unless Kwame somehow miraculously turned around his jump shot and became more of a high post player I don't think those two would bode well for a good offensive chemistry. On top of all that we don't free up cap space.
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Socks, I dont necessarily disagree with you. I certainly hope and expect Odom to be more consistent this year. But, he will not average 20 ppg. 17 and 10? Consistent? I would love that. But, we are still left with holes to fill. A scorer at the PG? Not that easy to find. Banks might be good, but I would just be happy if he averages 12ppg. He wont average more than that certainly. A scorer at the 4? Very hard to find. Almost impossible at this point in time for the Lakers to obtain a scorer/shot blocker at the 4. Lamar to the 4? That ends the matchup nightmare and becomes a defensive problem for the Lakers. DO I think Odom could do it? Certainly, but it would not be optimal. Odom is not "potential" anymore. He is actuality. He is not a "young" forward anymore. He is a solid NBA veteran. Put him next to alot of athletes and watch him go to work. I think the Bulls drool over the thought of Odom with their athletes. The Lakers on the other hand, just have alot of holes.

This is why I say that I can imagine the Lakers trading Odom for two starters. It fills the most difficult holes, scorer/defender at the 1, and defense/rebounding at the 4 with a super athlete who I hope can average 10 ppg with garbage offense. I think Roy can average 12-15 ppg next year as a starter for the Lakers. ROY candidate. Then you plug in a MLE or traded SF and you have a versatile, deep team. Not a perfect team, but one that I think has a higher ceiling in the long term.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason wrote:
And if you cant turn Odom into two starters, then keep him! Use the MLE and a Mihm package to trade for two starters: Banks and Miles, and then aim for a 50 win season next year. That team might even be better, record wise, than a team with Roy and Chandler instead of Odom. I just don't know.

I do!

Ain't no way in theee hell the Lakers improve upon last season this year plugging in Chandler, and Roy.

Who believes Chandler will come in at the 4,and just commence to kicking ass at any level, let alone his in the tri?

Roy will just seamlessly become an NBA pro?

Yeah right...

Two years Laker fans... Maybe three, before the team would be back near the basement...

This writer is sniffing airplane glue...

The Lakers may be up to something, but this sure as hell ain't it...
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Shoes, I am not hyping Chandler. This is not 3 years ago. I think he will be a very good defender rebounder, and would be very pleased if he averaged 10 ppg. Injury concerns? Yep.

As for Roy, he is not overhyped. No one has ever said he is LBJ. I said that I think he will be a solid NBA starter, ala Byron Scott or Eddie Jones. And I think he will contribute immediately, yes. That is not a rare opinion. is it just an opinion? Yes.

That is EXACTLY what the Lakers need right now ... (why oh why did Mithc including Grant instead of Eddie in the trade??):

Quality starting players next to Kobe so that he doesnt have to carry the load by himself. And as I say earlier, I dont think Odom is necessarily the second scorer next to Kobe. He might be. But at the 3? We need at least one 20ppg scorer next to Kobe, and I dont think Odom will ever average 20 ppg. I love his rebounds and assists, love his slashing to the hoop, hate his inconsistent long range jumper.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerSailor wrote:
Green is a HS player, same as Bynum.

Green was a 5th year HS player and is 21 months older than Bynum.

LakerSailor wrote:
What meaningful minutes did Bynum get? Bynum would have been better served going to the NBDL IMHO. There he could actually learn some skills instead of riding the pine all day.

I think Bynum had some injury issues in the second half of the season. Also, going to the NBDL would not necessarily had helped much as the Ft. Worth NBDL team didn't play the triangle and didn't have a big man coach like Kareem.

LakerSailor wrote:
The main problem with this article is why bother with some smokescreen if you were planning on drafting A Bomb the whole time? No one in the top 9 had A Bomb even in the discussion so Mitch comes up withthis genius plan to fool everyone into thinking he was going to draft someone else when the guy he really wanted had a 99% chance of being there the whole time? what a colossal waste of time and energy.

From the LA Times blog:
Mitch Kupchak wrote:
Last year we were at ten, and I'd have felt more comfortable if we could have gotten to eight, although we got the player we wanted at ten.

So, Mitch was concerned that Bynum wouldn't last until 10. That's why the smokescreen.

LakerSailor wrote:
That's why this article is beyond horrible and just another example of rah-rah "reporting" and homer revisionism..

How so? The Lakers really did convince most of the draft "experts" that they were going to take Gerald Green. Mitch was successful in deploying his smokescreen and wound up with the player he wanted.

Umm, you seemed to have formed an opinion based upon certain "facts" and aren't adjusting when told that those "facts" weren't correct. And then you are slamming the reporter for "revisionism".
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason, I'm with you, the Lakers do indeed have lots of holes. I'm also with you that if you trade LO, you either trade him in a package for a big-time star or for two starters. I just don't think these are the right two.

That said, LO is still relatively young. Also, he is still potential. Yeah, he's been in the league awhile, but the rule of thumb on learning the triangle (particularly as the initiator) is two years. We've seen where he is after one year in this offense and the leap he made from the first half to the second. It's not inconceivable to think he still has room to grow. I agree, not necessarily a 20 PPG kind of scorer, but if you give Kwame room to add a few PPG more, and Smush to add a few PPG more, or you add a FA or youngster who could add some scoring punch, you help make up for this.

I agree, it still doesn't get us all the way there, there are too many holes to fill. Chandler and Roy (particularly Chandler) just seem like too huge a risk for LO right now.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I'll tell you one thing for sure...

If the Lakers do make this deal Chicago will jump on it in a hearbeat...

I wouldn't blame em either...

They will have made out like a MF!!!

The killing thing about that is middway through Novemeber provided the in house lynch mob has even that much patience the same people endorsing such a move would be laying out Mitch hate threads like tiles on a bathroom floor, they would be so many!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason wrote:
Shoes, I am not hyping Chandler. This is not 3 years ago. I think he will be a very good defender rebounder, and would be very pleased if he averaged 10 ppg. Injury concerns? Yep.

As for Roy, he is not overhyped. No one has ever said he is LBJ. I said that I think he will be a solid NBA starter, ala Byron Scott or Eddie Jones. And I think he will contribute immediately, yes. That is not a rare opinion. is it just an opinion? Yes.

That is EXACTLY what the Lakers need right now ... (why oh why did Mithc including Grant instead of Eddie in the trade??):

Quality starting players next to Kobe so that he doesnt have to carry the load by himself. And as I say earlier, I dont think Odom is necessarily the second scorer next to Kobe. He might be. But at the 3? We need at least one 20ppg scorer next to Kobe, and I dont think Odom will ever average 20 ppg. I love his rebounds and assists, love his slashing to the hoop, hate his inconsistent long range jumper.

Wait a minute, your complaint is that Lamar isn't a good enough second option (which I agree with), but there isn't a good second option in this deal. Roy definitely won't be now and I don't think his potential is that much better than 16ppg.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:

It's kinda funny how the media never learns. You figure after so many years they would learn that there is no such thing as, "this is the weakest draft in years." I mean how many times do you hear this phrase year after year? And what do you know, there are always superstars and diamonds in the roughs in every freaking draft, and the NBA constantly grows. I particularly recall hearing this cliche after the very strong 1992 draft that featured Shaq, Mourning and Christian. Year after year ever since, it has been "the weakest draft." Kobe, T-Mac, Wade, Boozer, AK47, CP3, the list goes on and on.. these guys are all from draft years that were dubbed "weakest draft."
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Socks: Cant disagree with a word you said. As Ive said earlier, I dont think the Lakers are going to do this trade. I can imagine them doing it, and its the first of the Bulls related rumors that make any sense for the Lakers, and Ive been trying to lay out why I think it would make sense. it certainly seems like something is up with the Lakers ... but it could have all fallen apart. If Phil is really high on Roy, which it seems he is, then I can imagine this trade going through. I am also not confident at the moment that Mitch is going to trade Mihm or use the MLE on a young starting quality player like Banks. It would seem insane, but its a feeling Im getting.

That being said, in another thread, I speculate about Peja joining the Lakers after Roy and Chandler. Now THAT is a contending team, I think. I dont think the Pacers will trade Peja to the Lakers for a Mihm package, but if it were to happen, a line-up of

Kobe / Sasha
Roy / Smush
Peja (not good defense but backed by Tyson) / Walton
Chandler / Turiaf
Kwame / Bynum

If that line-up worked ... could be a very nice combination of offense and defense. But, now I am in total pipe land.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Green was a 5th year HS player and is 21 months older than Bynum.

Green spent 5 yrs in High school?

This whole thread is turning into a comedy workshop!!!

I doubt his aptittude would have ever allowed him to learn the tri!

Are you kidding me?!
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ValisJason wrote:

Wait a minute, your complaint is that Lamar isn't a good enough second option (which I agree with), but there isn't a good second option in this deal. Roy definitely won't be now and I don't think his potential is that much better than 16ppg.

I think Roy can be a second option ... I would LOVE Roy with Odom and Kobe, but thats not possible. I think Roy will be a more consistent offensive player than Odom in terms of pure scoring. Maybe eventually a 20ppg scorer, maybe a career 16ppg, I dont know.

But, more importantly, as Ive always said, the deal would replace Odom with TWO starters. And, it frees you up to use the MLE or a Mihm package on a scoring small forward, such as Miles or Peja (Pipe) that would bring even more offense, and yet be backed up by stellar shot blocking in Tyson Chandler. Again, if you can turn Odom into TWO starters, at difficult to fill positions such as the 4 and 1 ... it gives you MUCH more flexibility and versatility.
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
ValisJason wrote:

Let me get this straight....

Tyson Chandler who spends most of his time in and out of convelescent homes,and a wwwwaaayyyyy to hyped rook that may or may not make it is going to be the two alleged starters?

If the Lakers do this deal it would mean that they quit for now... The next step would be to see who they could draft next year because Chandler will have not only ate up wwwwaaayyy to much money for what he brings to the table, he would proabably be costing additional money for the extra room service at the hospital he would be watching the games from TV on.
Next, to much is being levied on this rookies chances of being able to deliver right out of school. Lebron James he is not, or else we would have been hearing more about him a lot earlier, like you did with all the other college phenoms that were immediate successes.

This is a joke...

No way this happens...

Both of you got good points..........
I got to believe that Odom(Which i choose to keep him) for chandler and #2 pick cannot be it! It has to include somebody else. ie Luol Deng and we give them Mckie or sasha and #26th pick.

If Odom gets traded ..MIhm probably stays..just because he can score 8-10 pts a game..maybe even 12-14pts a game.

Plus if Phil likes this Roy kid.....then i am going to trust his decision.
and if Chandler can be a defensive stopper in the lane...and + Deng or Duhon...maybe it can work for PJ
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: