NBA Insiders believe Star Free Agents will follow PG13's Lead and Ignore Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
Paul George was an outlier. A massive fraud that did nothing but cry for the Lakers in his last year with the Pacers. Leaking stuff and telling the Lakers not to weaken the squad by trading for him. Then in his "decision" video he says "well they didn't trade for me, I'm staying in OKC" Dude is a massive clown. Westbrook was glued to George the entire summer so ANOTHER star didn't leave him.

Sure, Lebron James is a huge free agent deterrent and people aren't exactly lining up to play with him. But to use the word "ignore" like Kawhi, Kyrie, and KD wouldn't give us a meeting is absurd.

He took the money.

On the better team

That really depends on how the team is filled out in that scenario and our luck with injuries.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Great One wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Kawhi and Butler are the only dark horse candidates I see us signing.

"Leonard could make as much as $190 million deal by committing to five more years with the Raptors next season, but would only garner $141 million over a four-year deal with any other team as a free agent, shaving $70 million in potential earnings."

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-kawhi-leonard-loses-chance-at-super-max-what-toronto-can-offer-him/

I think our pick is going to Toronto in a sign and trade.......

Eh, he could have got the supermax with the Spurs. Like AD, I don't think money is his top priority.
Embiid
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Great One wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Kawhi and Butler are the only dark horse candidates I see us signing.

"Leonard could make as much as $190 million deal by committing to five more years with the Raptors next season, but would only garner $141 million over a four-year deal with any other team as a free agent, shaving $70 million in potential earnings."

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-kawhi-leonard-loses-chance-at-super-max-what-toronto-can-offer-him/

I think our pick is going to Toronto in a sign and trade.......

Eh, he could have got the supermax with the Spurs. Like AD, I don't think money is his top priority.

It's one thing leaving supermax and taking 70m less. It's another thing loosing 140m in space of a year which he would do by leaving the Raptors.Which ever team trades for AD will resign him as they will get his bird rights. He's not throwing away that sort of money. Yet to see anyone do this but its always threatened. I expect Kawhi to resign in toronto too.
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
Paul George was an outlier. A massive fraud that did nothing but cry for the Lakers in his last year with the Pacers. Leaking stuff and telling the Lakers not to weaken the squad by trading for him. Then in his "decision" video he says "well they didn't trade for me, I'm staying in OKC" Dude is a massive clown. Westbrook was glued to George the entire summer so ANOTHER star didn't leave him.

Sure, Lebron James is a huge free agent deterrent and people aren't exactly lining up to play with him. But to use the word "ignore" like Kawhi, Kyrie, and KD wouldn't give us a meeting is absurd.

He took the money.

Yep. Everyone knows you can’t win with Westbrook. I saw the roster at the beginning and noticed Raymond Felton was their 2nd best shooter. Good luck to him.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

time to trade lebron , jeanie.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

On the other hand there are serious rumors that Durant, Kyrie, maybe AD are
thinking of NY. Why is that? They were charmed of how functional Nicks are?
Other than that i agree that we look at least confused of what kind ot team
and culture we are trying to develope.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
On the other hand there are serious rumors that Durant, Kyrie, maybe AD are
thinking of NY. Why is that? They were charmed of how functional Nicks are?
Other than that i agree that we look at least confused of what kind ot team
and culture we are trying to develope.

I doubt they care much about the Knicks....its about where they can team up. Knicks probably offer the most flexibilty for them to do it. The mentality of today's NBA player is that they make the franchise not the other way around. This is why not a lot of players care about mystique or history these days.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject:

RealSkipBayless wrote:

KD already didn't give us a meeting. What did he see this year that he would give us one this time? Major FAs have been ignoring us since Shaq signed here. Lebron is the outlier. Paul George is the norm.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:

He took the money.

Yep just like he said he would in the "decision" documentary.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:

He took the money.

Yep just like he said he would in the "decision" documentary.

Yep trust the man's word.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:

He took the money.

On the better team

They are 42-30 and are looking like a 1st round or 2nd round exit team, Are you honestly saying they are a Impressive team?

No, I didn’t say that. Read again.

They're about to be a worse team rankings-wise than last year, and that was with Melo and a far inferior George. They're capped out. At least the Lakers had some glimmer of possibility of a higher ceiling, regardless of how the shine has come off recently. What's the hope in OKC for that next level? Terrence Ferguson becomes an all-star?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject:

Oram why he writes for the Lakers I dont know, he loves being negative because he is a Jazz fan, dont know why LA there arent more LA based sports writers to write about the Lakers
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Oram why he writes for the Lakers I dont know, he loves being negative because he is a Jazz fan, dont know why LA there arent more LA based sports writers to write about the Lakers

Sometimes when you can't think of anything nice to say... it's better not to say anything at all.

And the local writers don't want to sh*t where they eat and burn their bridges and access.

Or you could always be like Nick Wright or Stephen A. Smith and be a shill and throw all your journalistic credibility out the window.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

As a High School Varsity Basketball coach, I've noticed one recurring theme within most of the players that I come across; this theme holds true from their Freshman-Senior Year.
Amidst all of their gifts, talents, physical and skill-wise, there is a mental part of the game, that most of them can't seem to grasp.
It's not the part that allows them to Swagger onto the court, poking their chest out with their shoulders back, and giving mean scowls to their opponents as that slam the ball thunderously through the hoop...

Its this same mental-flaw that travels with them all throughout their college years, even until the NBA. They may be a lottery pick in the draft and go on to break NBA records...
But when you look back at their career, Middle-School, High School, College and NBA. The reason why these players were only great and never the "Greatest" or even considered among the great!

Its simply because the part of their game that is lacking and always lacked and was never developed, is that part that simply "Can't handle the Pressure".
In LA There's a tremendous amount of pressure to perform, compete and win! Only few players have proven to be on the Lakers and embrace this level of intense mental badgering. Its not for the slight at heart!

For all of shots thrown at LBJ for falling way short in his first year as a Laker, the truth is... HE CAN HANDLE IT!
The reason PG13 didn't come and other FAs probably won't come, its not because of LBJ, but its because they can't handle the PRESSURE!!!
Only a top five player could come to this team and not be concerned, or someone who has that mindset to be top five. When we don't get free agents, I don't even trip anymore, because I know... Since they picked up a ball, they may have been good, but were never able to handle real pressure!

That's my blog for the day! LOL
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
As a High School Varsity Basketball coach, I've noticed one recurring theme within most of the players that I come across; this theme holds true from their Freshman-Senior Year.
Amidst all of their gifts, talents, physical and skill-wise, there is a mental part of the game, that most of them can't seem to grasp.
It's not the part that allows them to Swagger onto the court, poking their chest out with their shoulders back, and giving mean scowls to their opponents as that slam the ball thunderously through the hoop...

Its this same mental-flaw that travels with them all throughout their college years, even until the NBA. They may be a lottery pick in the draft and go on to break NBA records...
But when you look back at their career, Middle-School, High School, College and NBA. The reason why these players were only great and never the "Greatest" or even considered among the great!

Its simply because the part of their game that is lacking and always lacked and was never developed, is that part that simply "Can't handle the Pressure".
In LA There's a tremendous amount of pressure to perform, compete and win! Only few players have proven to be on the Lakers and embrace this level of intense mental badgering. Its not for the slight at heart!

For all of shots thrown at LBJ for falling way short in his first year as a Laker, the truth is... HE CAN HANDLE IT!
The reason PG13 didn't come and other FAs probably won't come, its not because of LBJ, but its because they can't handle the PRESSURE!!!
Only a top five player could come to this team and not be concerned, or someone who has that mindset to be top five. When we don't get free agents, I don't even trip anymore, because I know... Since they picked up a ball, they may have been good, but were never able to handle real pressure!

Taxes are a close second.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

Millennials man

Raised in the participation trophy era where pressure is confused with anxiety.

Just joking...well kind of. Tom Izzo is taking a lot of heat today for his yelling at a player. Just a different time, but to your point a lot of players don’t want that pressure.

As for PG13, he seems to have raised his game to another level and looks like he is trying to prove he belongs among the top MVPs. I still feel as though the Lakers started to have eyes on Kawhi and PG13 is trying to prove he is that next level alpha this season and not just Joe Ingles’ son.

Last edited by LakerSD on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Sometimes when you can't think of anything nice to say... it's better not to say anything at all.

And the local writers don't want to sh*t where they eat and burn their bridges and access.

Or you could always be like Nick Wright or Stephen A. Smith and be a shill and throw all your journalistic credibility out the window.

Sports is entertainment.

It's laughable that people call them "journalists" to be honest. When you have your network (i.e. ESPN) literally paying for NBA games, and are therefore de facto partners, how do you think there would be any journalistic integrity?

It's entertainment.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

My favorite part with journalists/writers/media is when they complain about travel and writing deadlines.

Seriously? Like if you don’t want that, why are you in the industry?
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

LeBron and Klutch has totally ruined this organization. They are predatory parasites who found a host to infect and control. And being that we have wasted so many assets in the process, we will not recover soon.

The Lakers are probably the worst situation for any free agent to consider. I wouldn't even go to game right now if the tickets were free.

Dark Days in Lakerland.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

It makes sense. Why would players join this organization if they are just seen as pawns for the next big trade? We saw what happened mid-season with the AD trade rumors -- it destroyed the locker room and undermined chemistry. Knowing that you are expendable the moment a better player comes along is a horrible feeling for many players. I get that trades happen and the NBA is one big business, but the entire situation is FUBAR now that Lebron and his gang have input in personnel decisions. I'm probably done as a Laker fan if Lebron chooses the coach. Keeping the FO and players separate is extremely vital. You can't have players making these kinds of decisions. Kobe and Jordan didn't have this much power when they played.

The funny thing is that they had something special going last season w/ Ju and BroLo. It doesn't hurt to develop a proper foundations before pursuing superstars.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

I do not have any expectations for this summer. I do not expect them to sign any max free agents, but all is not lost.

There's something in between a max guy and friggin settling for Lance Stephenson. Hopefully, they get a top 10 pick. They need to keep Ingram and Ball, who both need to stay healthy. Hart needs to get healthy. Kuzma and the pick could be tradeable assets although Kuzma's small deal makes him more valuable to the Lakers.

They need a good coach and guys who can actually play rather than washed head case vets.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

That's a tongue-in-cheek way to insulate oneself from the pain of these last few seasons. It doesn't work for me.

Many seriously great teams were built starting with a single great player or even two guys who didn't represent an obstacle to management attracting additional talent to the club. That's part of the difficulty omitted in your theory which suggest it's fear of "pressure to win" that is the obstacle to free agents here.

It's not.

The problem here is the talent, top to bottom, office, bench and court. The appearance is that the organization - top to bottom - is a big mess. Top free agents won't be coming here until there is at least some indicator that someone around the club knows what they're doing. It's not pressure itself to win or pressure to turn around the club's fortunes that keeps FA talent at bay; it's the image of such long odds of success after signing here. People seek better opportunities rather than worse ones. We're one of the worst.
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

A part of me hopes this ends up happening so that the front office finally wakes up from their audacious, disillusioned and silly mentality of "because we're the Lakers". It's the reason we think we can shortcut or essentially buy our way to the Championship, which is doing much more harm than good (if any at this point). Like a dog returning to his vomit, Rob and Magi are going through the same thing Jim and Kupchak went thru and failed. I might even surmise that sticking with Jim and Kupchak may have been better since at least they had the humbling experience. And this whole spouting off all kinds of hyperbole, and fantastical allegory, like it's supposed to be our destiny to win every year just needs to stop. It's a VERY bad look. I love the Lakers but if they must fall so that they will rise again, then so be it.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I think besides the chaos of the Front office, potential free agents might see that Lebron is declining....
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

If Westbrook can attract a star so can LBJ. js
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: