Why are the Clippers more successful than us FOR THESE PAST 7 YEARS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJLakersfan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Clippers more successful than us?

troy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
troy wrote:
We haven't even come close to the success the Clippers have had in the past few years, but they had quality players then and we didn't.

But this year, we have our high drafted young core, all of them with NBA experience under their belt. We have the best player in the game in Lebron James. We have finals-proven vets on our roster. We have a legendary champion in the front office. And we have lots of money.

Yet, the Clippers constantly perform better than us. Why?

The past few years they've had Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan. Even so, they never got passed the first or second round. If the Lakers and the Clippers success had been reversed, people would simply be complaining about our lack of playoff success.

You forget that the Clippers had a winning record against the Warriors in the past few years, and if not for a few key injuries and some bad luck, the Clippers would have been a finals team.

Lakers fans tend to dismiss the success of the Clippers simply because they're the Clippers. I think not. And now, with Lebron on our team and all these heralded 2nd round picks, I see my Lakers hovering around the 8th spot with a near .500 record, and those same Clippers with NO Paul, NO Griffen, and NO Jordan...up there at the #1 spot.

The Lakers are only 3 games back, you are making it seem like they have been much better. Reality says otherwise.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Because we rode the Kobe and shaq wave up and back down. It was their turn on the wave with Griff and cp3. They traded their tickets to the wave we pretty much rode our wave all the way back to shore. We have our new tickets with bron and young guys. We will soon know just how good of tickets they are.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Bet you Ballmer after seeing Lakers ticket sales, would say otherwise.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
troy wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
1) It's still early in the season

2) Continuity - Lebron changes everything around him and the Lakers have a few guys who don't fit (yet)

3) The Clippers play harder night in and night out

4) The Lakers have more net negative main rotation players than the Clippers

But I would think that young players hungry to establish themselves, and 1-year players going from contracts next season would be the ones playing hard game in and game out.

Our young players are more concerned with fashion tattoos and rapping

It does seem like our young core has not developed as other teams' high draft picks. I mean, when can we TRULY rely on Ingrim to do anything?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Clippers have had zero success in their entire history, we have 16 championships so the question itself isn’t a good one.

They have been recently better because they had more talent who was maturing, while we were at the end of Kobe’s career...it’s just a cyclical thing. This year the clippers and playing well, but we are back on the upswing. I’m sure the clips are looking for more fans if you really like what they have going on over there...I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen anyone rock a clippers jersey or hat.

Who cares about jerseys and championships way back when? How does any of that help our chances of winning now?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Clippers more successful than us?

troy wrote:
We haven't even come close to the success the Clippers have had in the past few years, but they had quality players then and we didn't.

But this year, we have our high drafted young core, all of them with NBA experience under their belt. We have the best player in the game in Lebron James. We have finals-proven vets on our roster. We have a legendary champion in the front office. And we have lots of money.

They are not. I bet $10 that we're finishing this season with a better record.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

With all the hype of the Clippers being #1 in the West currently, we’re only 3 games behind them with 62 to go
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
With all the hype of the Clippers being #1 in the West currently, we’re only 3 games behind them with 62 to go

At that pace we will be 12 games behind them at the end of the year.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
troy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
They have zero pressure on them. and I mean ZERO. even with CP, black and DJ. they still didnt have as much pressure as those 3 would have had if they were all in laker uniforms. we assume the worse when we think about the clippers. the lakers we assume the best. This is the #1 difference. you take away any and all pressure players/coaches/FO's usually perform a lot better because there is nothing making them over think it, over do it, or try to hard. they can go along and a nice slow steady pace and their fans wont care. not so for the lakers. There's a reason we went thru so many coaches in so little time. There's a reason our young guys have had trade bait on their back the entire time they were here from the moment they were drafted til now. not so with any clipper.

We want to win NOW. period. That means everyone, including the FO has to accelerate every process to push that agenda. the clippers do not and have never had to deal with that.

Right now, even though we know this team TODAY isnt championship caliber. fans on this very board are trying to find away to make us championship ready RIGHT NOW. no one is doing that when talking about the clippers. no one.

Now lets get into the nitty gritty. when you are not rushing to win it all. you can develop talent and a snails pace, you can also pick up Free agents that will help your team win games during the season(but probably not come playoff time.) and no one on your fanbase will care.

You can't do that as a laker. every FA signing you do is either for a super star or for a 1 year rental to save a spot for an addlt star. WHY not just put together a solid team? because the lakers FO / Ownership knows better than that. they know winning like no other franchise since the 80s. They know putting together just a solid team will only get you wins and a playoff spot to take that L come playoff time before you reach the WCF's.

Which one of you think the clippers are ready to be in the WCF's if all of the top teams are healthy? NO ONE does. no matter the clippers current record and the WC standings.

Anyone remember that hawks team from a few years back that balled out during the season and completely flamed out come playoff time? well that happens every season with one of these unknown teams. i think the clippers will be one of those teams barring injury to certain teams they may have to see come playoff time. this means, they are a solid team but nothing else. so that means to you laker fans, do you want to invest a lot of time and energy in a solid team that will never win anything? or would you rather try and push for a ring team? I think we can all agree on the later. and there in lies the problem when comparing the lakers to the clippers. its apples and cotton candy. not a comparison.

I have problems with this statement. Any "solid team" has potential to win it all. We haven't had a "solild team" here in Lakerland for years. I'm confused as to what your point is here.
I'll ask you again, did that hawks team from a few years back have potential to win it all? NO.

No one thought they were going to win anything. They figured they would give a good go at it and they couldnt even do that. I mean Toronto pre Kawhi. couldnt even scare the limping cavs. pathetic. there are a lot more of those types of teams in the playoffs than their are real legit contenders.

Do not be fooled by a record during the season. it has happened too many times. If you see a nice season record, but your eyes also tell you this team is the real thing. THEN and only then should you call them a contender. if you see that record and your eyes are saying I aint seeing it. then you know they are the hawks or the raptors come playoff time.

Now with all that said, we have 4 MAIN players we are not sure what they are or what they will become. this is actually holding us up.

BI???
Zo????
Kuz????
Hart????

those 4 guys have to pan out or get out. Now I'm not saying they have to pan out this season. I'm saying they may be late bloomers. are we willing to wait another 2 seasons? Probably not. then that means we will most likely part ways with a couple of these dudes If there are takers. if we are willing to wait. then we can hold on to them unless some crazy deal comes along that we have to take.

We dont have any top draft picks that were lights out scorers in college and then came to the nba and were even better lights out scorers. we didnt draft that. we drafted versatel long guys that could do pretty much any and everything. but we're not sure if they will be able to produce enough efficiently on offense to have that 2nd or 3rd main gun. i think BI will but I think its going to take him another season. I think IF zo gets two full summers without injuries. to work on his game and assuming he's not just working hard but working smart(on specific things he lacks today). he can become an extremely efficient scorer. but even then. he better not be our 2nd best scorer. thats not his job. that would probably go to BI. Kuz can score but is super inconsistent right now. and we already know the stories on his defense which is getting better but that takes a minute before you figure that out and the refs respect your(this is also key.)

here's the issue. if we give up on the kids now and flip them for older gold. we better win a ring very quickly or else our ring window closes as our new stars age out. and we wont have any youth to keep things going after they're gone. so it will be post kobe years again but without 3 to 5 rings to hold you over. thats the fear of getting rid of the youth before they pan out. the beauty of keeping the kids if they pan out properly. is that you pair them with current star/stars and you win rings. then as the stars age out they become the new stars. and you get filler guys to help them. wash, rinse, repeat. and you keep winning. but those are unknowns.

Clippers have made the playoffs 5/6 past seasons, a 83% post season success rate. They've been to the 2nd round of the playoffs 3/6 past seasons. That's a 50% rate of success making it into the Conf Semi finals. They pushed their opponent to a 7th game in 2015, and could have easily made it into the NBA Conf finals. Our Lakers have made the playoffs ONCE in the past 6 seasons, a 16% post season success rate and have not made it into the 2nd round at all (0% Semi Conf. finals success rate).

For the past 10 years, the Clippers have won more games than the Lakers, and have had more playoff apperances. And even with all of our talent, including Lebron, and the Clippers not having any big time players, THEY are still in first place, with a better record than us, while we are barely in the 7th spot.

Winning rings back in the day do absolutely nothing in regards to increasing our current chances of winning one in the near future.

And if we keep our slow developing young core and they do nothing in the era of Lebron James, where will that leave us? I have no more patience. I want to win now.

Last edited by troy on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Jerry freak'n West
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Bet you Ballmer after seeing Lakers ticket sales, would say otherwise.

I heard on the Nugs broadcast last night that the bottom few rows went up like 300% from like $200 to $600
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Clippers more successful than us?

danzag wrote:
troy wrote:

I'm betting we go further in the playoffs
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Clippers more successful than us?

VicXLakers wrote:
danzag wrote:
troy wrote:

This. They can go ahead and get the 2nd seed. Hell we may even play them in the 1st round
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Clippers more successful than us?

chantruong wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
danzag wrote:
troy wrote:

This. They can go ahead and get the 2nd seed. Hell we may even play them in the 1st round

KAJtheGOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Lou Will
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

KAJtheGOAT wrote:
Lou Will

And like clockwork, crumbles in the playoffs. His style of play isn't amenable to playoff success.

Clips have a shot at making the playoffs, but won't go very far. Lots of good role players but no star to take a series.,
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

KAJtheGOAT wrote:
Lou Will

He ain't even all that this year. Shooting 39%/31%
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

yeah, the clippers are clearly the best team in the western conference this year since they have the best record by a couple games 1/4 of the way through the season.

i bet the warrior fans are asking the same question about these unbeatable looking clippers

i would be shocked if we dont have a better record then them by the end of the season. they have played well above there expectations thus far and should get props but let's take it back a bit with the extreme premature panic haha

people in here writing books about how the clippers have won more games lately but guess what.. it did nothing but result in the same outcome as the lakers.. zero championships, making the playoffs and losing in the first or second round doesn't mean anything either.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Clippers have had zero success in their entire history, we have 16 championships so the question itself isn’t a good one.

They have been recently better because they had more talent who was maturing, while we were at the end of Kobe’s career...it’s just a cyclical thing. This year the clippers and playing well, but we are back on the upswing. I’m sure the clips are looking for more fans if you really like what they have going on over there...I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen anyone rock a clippers jersey or hat.

Who cares about jerseys and championships way back when? How does any of that help our chances of winning now?

It helps a lot. You didn’t see Lebron joining the clips did you? We are the Yankees, we are the Patriots, our past carries a lot of currency. The clips are and have been a joke. So they are a few games better at the start of the season, there is no way they are a top 4 seed in the west. I question if they will be top 6.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
Jerry freak'n West

No coincidence.

They were a joke before he arrived and he has set them up well for a run in the next couple of years.

It’s mostly Lou and Harrell right now, but they can easily land a Max FA or 2 and make a serious run next season.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

We are 15 games into the season.... we will finish better then them
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Clippers more successful than us?

VicXLakers wrote:
danzag wrote:
troy wrote:

We can do a Paypal bet. Remember this thread come playoff time.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
yeah, the clippers are clearly the best team in the western conference this year since they have the best record by a couple games 1/4 of the way through the season.

i bet the warrior fans are asking the same question about these unbeatable looking clippers

i would be shocked if we dont have a better record then them by the end of the season. they have played well above there expectations thus far and should get props but let's take it back a bit with the extreme premature panic haha

people in here writing books about how the clippers have won more games lately but guess what.. it did nothing but result in the same outcome as the lakers.. zero championships, making the playoffs and losing in the first or second round doesn't mean anything either.

Not comparing the Clippers to the rest of the league, just our Lakers. You're projecting to make a flawed point.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
troy wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

It helps a lot. You didn’t see Lebron joining the clips did you? We are the Yankees, we are the Patriots, our past carries a lot of currency. The clips are and have been a joke. So they are a few games better at the start of the season, there is no way they are a top 4 seed in the west. I question if they will be top 6.

Where the Clippers have the Lakers beat is in ownership. Ballmer has been successful in business while the Buss kids have never earned a penny on their own. Ballmer pays luxury tax, the Buss kids never have. Am I jealous of their ownership? Yes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Jerry freak'n West

No coincidence.

They were a joke before he arrived and he has set them up well for a run in the next couple of years.

It’s mostly Lou and Harrell right now, but they can easily land a Max FA or 2 and make a serious run next season.

It’s mainly Harris right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: