THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1393, 1394, 1395 ... 3689, 3690, 3691  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Nancy Pelosi's official Twitter account just followed me. That is all.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Let us know when Washington contacts you.

What's your twitter name/handle?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

It's cause you know jodeke and me
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Alright....well....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Omar made Elliott Abrams a bit mad in a foreign affairs hearing today
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

You have a combination of issue smarts and emotion that comes thru in your writings. You're a good writer as well. There are many with only one of those capacities, if that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Andrew Yang for President! I just listened to an interview with him on Joe Rogan’s podcast...very compelling message. Another very strong candidate that has a chance to stand out from the pack.

https://www.yang2020.com

Joe Rogan’s Podcast with Andrew Yang - just give him 15 mins. He is approaching the Presidency from a completely different perspective, and focused on perhaps the most pressing issue facing America in the next 10 years...he is focused on the massive impact automation is going to have (already having) on the US economy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsEzmFamZ8

I'll definitely give a listen. While I agree that automation is certainly an economic issue that needs to be addressed, it is far from being the most pressing issue facing America in the years going forward. Health care, income disparity, racial equality in our judicial system, educational issues etc. are of the utmost importance compared to the shifting trends in manufacturing and distribution employment.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Andrew Yang for President! I just listened to an interview with him on Joe Rogan’s podcast...very compelling message. Another very strong candidate that has a chance to stand out from the pack.

Joe Rogan’s Podcast with Andrew Yang - just give him 15 mins. He is approaching the Presidency from a completely different perspective, and focused on perhaps the most pressing issue facing America in the next 10 years...he is focused on the massive impact automation is going to have (already having) on the US economy:

I'll definitely give a listen. While I agree that automation is certainly an economic issue that needs to be addressed, it is far from being the most pressing issue facing America in the years going forward. Health care, income disparity, racial equality in our judicial system, educational issues etc. are of the utmost importance compared to the shifting trends in manufacturing and distribution employment.

he does tie UBI in with some of the issues that you mention

health care and racial equality in the judicial system (assuming you're referring to the criminal justice system mainly, right?) are two biggies that he doesn't speak to at all though from what I recall
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

He makes a pretty convincing case that this should get attention before it’s too late. Rogan also does bring up the fact that there is no way he gets elected by only focusing On the “Frredom Dividend” (minimum basic income) and asks about health care (he’s for single payer), and more.

The other thing that the nerd in me really likes is that he feels that using GDP has no relationship to citizen wellbeing and is the wrong metric of success.

From his site:

“When you measure something, you implicitly set your policy goals. By focusing our measurement on GDP, we’ve promoted production over all else. It’s time to start measuring economic prosperity using a wider index that measures human as well as monetary indicators, such as (but not limited to):

Quality of life and health-adjusted life expectancy
Happiness/Well-Being and Mental Health
Underemployment
Income Inequality
Consumer and Student Debt
Work and civic engagement levels
Volunteerism
Infant mortality
Quality of infrastructure
Access to education
Marriage and divorce rates
Substance abuse and related deaths
National optimism
Personal dynamism/economic mobility

In short, why use GDP as a proxy for how Americans are doing when we can easily measure that well-being directly? Let’s start an American Scorecard, directly measuring the things we should be focusing on.“
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Prime Time Sports forced to close, after removing Nike apparel from store
https://koaa.com/news/2019/02/11/prime-time-sports-forced-to-close-after-removing-nike-apparel-from-store/
Quote:
“Being a sports store without Nike is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas. How do you do it? They have a monopoly on jerseys,” said Martin.

Martin says he’s the only full service, licensed fan shop between Castle Rock and the New Mexico border. Despite having all 32 NFL team’s apparel in his store, he doesn’t have any current players’ jerseys–because of his decision to drop all Nike apparel.

He also cancelled an autograph session with Brandon Marshall at his store back in 2016, to protest Marshall’s decision to kneel during the anthem.

“As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realized,” said Martin.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject:

UBI ought to be a conservative issue. As automation removes jobs, one of the best uses of unemployed and underemployed people is as consumers. That income you give them gives you a huge multiplier effect as they spend it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

He makes a pretty convincing case that this should get attention before it’s too late. Rogan also does bring up the fact that there is no way he gets elected by only focusing On the “Frredom Dividend” (minimum basic income) and asks about health care (he’s for single payer), and more.

The other thing that the nerd in me really likes is that he feels that using GDP has no relationship to citizen wellbeing and is the wrong metric of success.

From his site:

“When you measure something, you implicitly set your policy goals. By focusing our measurement on GDP, we’ve promoted production over all else. It’s time to start measuring economic prosperity using a wider index that measures human as well as monetary indicators, such as (but not limited to):

Underemployment
Income Inequality
Volunteerism
Infant mortality
Access to education
National optimism

In short, why use GDP as a proxy for how Americans are doing when we can easily measure that well-being directly? Let’s start an American Scorecard, directly measuring the things we should be focusing on.“

AS I said, it's definitely an issue to address. But off the issues facing this country at the moment, the implications of automation are pretty meaningless if we don't prioritize the real core quality of life issues.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Prime Time Sports forced to close, after removing Nike apparel from store
https://koaa.com/news/2019/02/11/prime-time-sports-forced-to-close-after-removing-nike-apparel-from-store/
Quote:
“Being a sports store without Nike is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas. How do you do it? They have a monopoly on jerseys,” said Martin.

Martin says he’s the only full service, licensed fan shop between Castle Rock and the New Mexico border. Despite having all 32 NFL team’s apparel in his store, he doesn’t have any current players’ jerseys–because of his decision to drop all Nike apparel.

He also cancelled an autograph session with Brandon Marshall at his store back in 2016, to protest Marshall’s decision to kneel during the anthem.

“As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realized,” said Martin.

And yet, he STILL can't grasp the real issue. Moron.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

From his site:

Underemployment
Income Inequality
Volunteerism
Infant mortality
Access to education
National optimism

I like what I have heard from him so far. He brings in an interesting refreshing perspective on what issues should be prioritized in this country and how to go about it. Great to see some new faces with new ideas rather than the same old political platitudes and platforms of the past.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

From his site:

Underemployment
Income Inequality
Volunteerism
Infant mortality
Access to education
National optimism

AS I said, it's definitely an issue to address. But off the issues facing this country at the moment, the implications of automation are pretty meaningless if we don't prioritize the real core quality of life issues.

His perspective is that automation, ai, robots doing the work of humans gets not only to the core of quality of life issues that people are already experiencing, but is also the fundamental reason why people in the swing states ended up electing Trump. Because the swing states happen to be in the front lines where once decent paying Factory jobs have been automated when they weren’t shipped out of the country.

Just to put this into perspective, multiple groups including McKinsey are predicting that one out of every three Americans will lose their job to automation in the next 11 years. This isn’t some distant future, it has already started.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Earth won't last to see robots
Global warming will become our number one problem but it is too late
My opinion
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

My opinion

Robots not only exist, but they proliferate in the manufacturing and distribution of goods and in other areas. And the concern about the implications of that fact are well founded.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
My opinion

Robots not only exist, but they proliferate in the manufacturing and distribution of goods and in other areas. And the concern about the implications of that fact are well founded.

Quote:
A record 7 million Americans are 90 or more days behind on their auto loan payments, according to a study from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. That number is a million higher than the total at the end of 2010, a time when unemployment rates hit 10% and “delinquency rates were at their worst” notes the Fed.

At that time, 5.3% of auto loan borrowers were three months late on their payments. Now, the share is a slightly lower 4.5%, due in part to a growing number of people taking out loans to purchase a car. But The Washington Post reports that there is increasing concern among economists that this rate has continued to rise in spite of or concurrent with dropping unemployment levels.

That Americans are late on auto loan payments is significant, as this is one of the first bills individuals are likely to pay. Cars are often necessary for transportation to and from work, and falling too far behind on payments can lead to repossession of one’s car.

Americans most likely dealing With Job Displacement Are Defaulting on the #1Debt They are Usually Most Likely to Pay
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
UBI ought to be a conservative issue. As automation removes jobs, one of the best uses of unemployed and underemployed people is as consumers. That income you give them gives you a huge multiplier effect as they spend it.

by conservative issue do you mean something conservatives should put emphasis on/discuss more relative to liberals?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar made Elliott Abrams a bit mad in a foreign affairs hearing today

Not sure if I like this or not. The no BS attitude, left answer to tea party is refreshing but the burn the whole thing (gov't)/US is bad and only bad... not so much
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
The entire electability thing needs to die. This is again another narrative thats been pushed. Anyone can win if you choose to vote for them. They dont need some special aura of electability in order to be voted for. Vote for people who have the best policies along with the most realistic ways of getting those policies to completition. It's not rocket science.

. . . if you choose to vote for them. . . .

That's all.

The most realistic ways of completing ALL that the more liberal Democrats want is impossible, or nearly so. I would like a BMW i8. If someone were to promise one to me, I might be inclined to like them. If they then said but it will cost $150K+, I'm now less interested.

Obviously, the idea it to get the most votes. Appealing to the extreme is one approach; appealing to a broader section, is another. You appear to believe in the former, and I tend to believe in the latter. You see, I'm not convinced that if 535 AOC's ran, that the Dems could win either chamber.

As 24 said, people like all the ideas until they see the price tag for them, and I don't have to tell you, whatever the price tag may be, and there will certainly be strong disagreement, the Republicans will scare the (bleep) out of middle class Americans with their versions. To many, when they hear, it will be expensive, then, no it won't, then, it will be expensive, then, no it won't, just which one will resonate?

Listen, if the american people want to sit around and play dumb and be too lazy to do simple math. thats our own fault. and we will keep getting the bush's, trumps to lead us into a worse situation. and or occasionally select a corporate dem that will make it SEEM as if we're doing so much better when in reality individually we are hurting just as bad if not worse than we were prior.

When i say do the simple math i'm talking about stuff like medicare for all.

Oh my its going to cost so much..Oh my its going to be more taxes. I dont want to pay more taxes. I can't afford it.
Yet you can't afford to pay that super high medical insurance premium either.

If i tell you and show you proof that the same 300 you pay for insurance right now, I could save you 100 of that and you would get even better benefits, while now also having the ability to move from company to company and not worry about leaving certain benefits behind, or you can go the contract work route and not worry about having medical for you and your kids/spouse. for a 100 bucks less. If you still choose the 300 dollar version. You're an idiot or you're rich and dont care. IF we the people keep being idiots/lazy and refuse to do the simple math. We will keep getting what we deserve. Its on us now. it has always been on us.

The numbers are right in front of our faces. We've been had. the big boys are holding onto huge chunks of our money by rigging the system in their favor. it is not a fair system. When lay people think of capitalism and free markets they never think about lobbyist and legislation. They think, let those people be, let their ideas flow freely, let them make as much money as people will spend buying their products or services. Not realize once these business blow up, they start lobbying to have legislation put into place to close the doors behind them. so that no other startup or small company like they use to be will ever be able to duplicate what they did in their field. WAKE UP.

If we're too stupid to realize its morally unethical/unfair for a super small portion of the population to own so much wealth. then we deserve the republicans in congress and the bad republican presidents we keep getting.

And to keep throwing around the word EXTREME when lefty dems talk about Income Inequality is also foolish at best. What is more extreme? Taxing the very small percentage of people that have 40% of america's wealth at a 70% rate?

Or The fact that such a small percentage of people own that much of the overall wealth to begin with?

If you are not rich and as an american citizen can't figure out between those two things which is more extreme. Then again, we deserve these republicans in congress and they bad presidents.

There is nothing extreme about any of these proposals.

the environment, the tax on the ULTRA rich, doubling down on our infrastructure, medicare for all.

Nothing about those things are actually Extreme. The media has pushed a narrative to the masses that these are EXTREME views. when they are not.

Why would the media do such a thing? Who ows the media? are they a part of that small percentage of people who own a large portion of America's wealth? YES they are.

The fact that I even have to say this to a lot of you guys is scary as hell. quite a few of you are as old as I am or much older. Quite a few of you are highly intelligent. Quite a few of you are not fox news watchers and yet you still dont get it. That's a very scary thing to realize as an American citizen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/06/the-richest-1-percent-now-owns-more-of-the-countrys-wealth-than-at-any-time-in-the-past-50-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.96ebf048efa8
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

It’s a fair point though, Splash. Which story will resonate with an electorate that doesn’t pay close attention to the issues. If there is one thing the Republicans are good at, its fear mongering and we’ve already heard it. Socialism! Venezuela! It costs too much! Government is incompetent!

Whoever champions this issue in the next Presidential race has to have their talking points down. Clear, concise, overcoming objections and shutting down the opposition. The facts are on our side when it comes to healthcare for all, but we need a President who can make the case an win over the electorate in unscripted venues and debates as well as they can from a TelePrompTer. (I don’t know why Safari is autocorrecting TelePrompTer this way, but I’ll go with it.)
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

How are politicians going to teach humans to act more humane?

Quote:
You should never take more than you give.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1393, 1394, 1395 ... 3689, 3690, 3691  Next
Page 1394 of 3691
Jump to: